• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Will I be able to get by with 32GB on a 7+ if I use Google Photos or iCloud to keep photos backed up and not on my device?

Won't have too many games, just podcasts mainly.

I remember reading when the original 6+ came out that you shouldn't get the lower storage model because the resolution for the app assets will be larger than the regular 7 thus large file size. Is that true or not?

Erebus

I took my iPhone 7 and went for some night photo shooting.

29675316873_4a559eac08_k.jpg

30009226200_fd02b6087b_k.jpg

29697806914_dda41cffae_k.jpg

VoxPop

Can't decide on a case...I want something thin and adds little to the size, but also something of quality.

Apple leather?

Apple silicon?

Peal Case?

Spigen thin case?

I got the black Peel case for my 7 Plus. Used to have the black Apple leather case on my 6. The leather case was great but I'm really loving the Peel one. It's super thin with no branding. Neither will give you much protection though but I'm always careful with my devices.

Also ordered a black Popsocket to compliment it after playing with my gfs. That thing is awesome.

Vyer

I got the black Peel case for my 7 Plus. Used to have the black Apple leather case on my 6. The leather case was great but I'm really loving the Peel one. It's super thin with no branding. Neither will give you much protection though but I'm always careful with my devices.

Also ordered a black Popsocket to compliment it after playing with my gfs. That thing is awesome.

I'd never heard of this and just looked it up. How....unique. lol. What did you like about it?

I can't tell if I think it's awesome or not.

VoxPop

I'd never heard of this and just looked it up. How....unique. lol. What did you like about it?

I can't tell if I think it's awesome or not.

- great for using the Plus one handed or while walking without worrying about it falling to the ground

- doubles as a mount

- optional popclip for your car

- great for taking selfies haha

it also doesn't add too much thickness so it still easily goes in my pocket

Got an all black one to put on my matte black Plus. It also comes off without any leftover gunk if you decide to move it somewhere else which I did (moved it to my phone to use it as a mount to watch some NFL games while at a restaurant). It looks a little goofy at first but every one of our friends that try it, love it.

Sickbean

I went for the regular old 7. The dual cameras are nice in theory but I think in practice they're going to be underwhelming. When shooting with DSLR I hate relying on zoom and would always rather just get closer to the subject instead, sometimes that's unavoidable obviously like with wildlife shots.

So it was really a choice between big phone and little phone. I went little phone.

You're missing out on the point of a longer lens - perspective flattening and shallow DOF. Also not shoving a camera in your subjects face!

Red

Does the Apple Store app not update pickup availability until stores open? istocknow is showing the black 7 plus available in two stores within a three hour drive, but both show as unavailable in the store app.

Draper

Does the peel case feel like just cheap plastic? I had a spigen air case previously, and I fear it'll be just as shitty.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I hope that some day we see a significant increase in phone camera sensor size.

Given the players involved anything is possible, but you're still at the mercy of optics. We already have camera humps these days. Bigger sensors will need bigger glass and that needs room.

Just ordered my Black 32gb iPhone 7 Plus, I desperately needed the upgrade from the 5s. It should be here next Friday!!

Now I need to decide on a case, I had a wallet case on the 5S which was handy for my ID and Bus Pass but I don't like how bulky it is so I'm thinking of going for a silicone or leather case from Apple but does anyone have any other recommendations?

I took my iPhone 7 and went for some night photo shooting.

Dayum, beautiful shots.

Never heard of either brand, and they look interesting. I'll keep them on my radar.

Speaking if cases, anyone ever try Carved cases?
I was thinking a Black Ebony Wood Traveler case would compliment a matte black phone pretty good: http://www.carved.com/shop/iphone-7/traveler-wood-case/reconstituted-ebony-iphone-7-traveler-case.html

Hmm. So I recently bumped up by iCloud storage to 200GB to keep all my photos safe and it seems to have downloaded my entire 50GB collection to my phone. I have 128GB so it's not too bad, but I really don't want/need them all. Is there a way to still have the phone automatically upload photos to iCloud when charging but not have my entire library on my phone?

Looks like I finally get mines in a couple of weeks! But I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some cases for this phone?

I usually stay around the very sleek but thin cases that don't add more bulk to the phone. Anyone have one that they could recommend from personal experience?

Hmm. So I recently bumped up by iCloud storage to 200GB to keep all my photos safe and it seems to have downloaded my entire 50GB collection to my phone. I have 128GB so it's not too bad, but I really don't want/need them all. Is there a way to still have the phone automatically upload photos to iCloud when charging but not have my entire library on my phone?

Go to the Photo settings and switch from "Download and Keep Originals" to "Optimize Phone Storage". It will dynamically adjust what photos are downloaded from then on out

FerranMG

6S related question, but hope somebody can advise.
My <1 year old 6S plus has been doing weird things with the battery for the last few weeks.
Basically, it will routinely turn off when it has >20%.
I've tried already recallibrating the battery several times, but after a few days it does the same again.
Will Apple fix this under warranty of I take it to an Apple Store?

jts

...hate me...
6S related question, but hope somebody can advise.
My <1 year old 6S plus has been doing weird things with the battery for the last few weeks.
Basically, it will routinely turn off when it has >20%.
I've tried already recallibrating the battery several times, but after a few days it does the same again.
Will Apple fix this under warranty of I take it to an Apple Store?
It's so annoying when that happens, but once I called Apple about that happening on my iPhone 5 and with a remote diagnosis tool they detected a faulty battery, so they replaced it for free under warranty.

Other times I've ran into the same issue I wasn't so lucky. Right now the cold weather has shown up on my whereabouts, combine that with a battery-intensive task like taking pictures or watching/listening to something and yeah my 6s can also do that once in a while.

that just started happening to my boyfriend's 6S, and it was happening to my 6 since about this time last year.

nothing fixed it, and a "remote diagnostic test" by apple found nothing wrong. but I'm going to try and get it replaced anyway thanks to UK warranty law before I sell it on.

jts

...hate me...
that just started happening to my boyfriend's 6S, and it was happening to my 6 since about this time last year.

nothing fixed it, and a "remote diagnostic test" by apple found nothing wrong. but I'm going to try and get it replaced anyway thanks to UK warranty law before I sell it on.
Same time of the year means the cold may be the culprit as well. iPhones are so damn sensitive to cold. I just don't fight it anymore. Try to turn it on after it is brought up to a warmer temperature and there's a chance it will.

Enzom21

Looks like I finally get mines in a couple of weeks! But I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some cases for this phone?

I usually stay around the very sleek but thin cases that don't add more bulk to the phone. Anyone have one that they could recommend from personal experience?
I have purchased a few and the three that I like best are:
The top left one, It's a soft clear TPU case. It fits well, adds some protection to the jet black and I like that the LED flash fills the case.
The bottom right, a Spigen black TPU case
The middle bottom left, an ultra slim case
The rest of the cases are either overpriced, garbage or overpriced garbage.
Don't buy a case from https://buypeel.com/ or https://shumuri.com/products/slim-extra-iphone-7-minimal-design?variant=28529284614.
You can get the same kind of case on Amazon for a fraction of the cost. The elago I linked to is one of them.
The custom case is from www.skinit.com and is also overpriced garbage. It feels like I'm going to break the phone every time I put it on or take it off.

Ninja Dom

You know what's highly fucking annoying?

To go through my 'People' album in Photos and spend 3 or 4 hours correctly naming everyone in each photo....and then lose every name/photo I had assigned once I synced it with iTunes.

&#128545;&#128545;&#128545;&#128545;

Furyous

Will I be able to get by with 32GB on a 7+ if I use Google Photos or iCloud to keep photos backed up and not on my device?

Won't have too many games, just podcasts mainly.

I remember reading when the original 6+ came out that you shouldn't get the lower storage model because the resolution for the app assets will be larger than the regular 7 thus large file size. Is that true or not?

I ran out of space in 26 hours using a 32 GB iPhone. Go for 128 just to give yourself space later on.

What's the deal with AirPods? I thought they'd at least be up for preorder by now. Apple.com still has October as the release date but they're running out of time pretty quickly here.

DOWN

Banned
I kind of wish I bought the black silicone case instead of leather. Black silicone looks fantastic on the phone in person. It looks cold, matte, and synthetic, which is the vibe I'd like to give off as a person with a matte black 7.

I kind of wish I bought the black silicone case instead of leather. Black silicone looks fantastic on the phone in person. It looks cold, matte, and synthetic, which is the vibe I'd like to give off as a person with a matte black 7.

Do you like the feel of the Silicone cases?

ibu

Expecting my Jet Black 7 Plus tomorrow. So what is the consensus on best cases for this phone? Do I go official again?

I have purchased a few and the three that I like best are:
The top left one, It's a soft clear TPU case. It fits well, adds some protection to the jet black and I like that the LED flash fills the case.
The bottom right, a Spigen black TPU case
The middle bottom left, an ultra slim case
The rest of the cases are either overpriced, garbage or overpriced garbage.
Don't buy a case from https://buypeel.com/ or https://shumuri.com/products/slim-extra-iphone-7-minimal-design?variant=28529284614.
You can get the same kind of case on Amazon for a fraction of the cost. The elago I linked to is one of them.
The custom case is from www.skinit.com and is also overpriced garbage. It feels like I'm going to break the phone every time I put it on or take it off.

Omg! Thank you so much for this! They all look great and are exactly what I was looking for.

My faves from this are definitely the Spigen and the elago but the lack of side coverage on the elago worries me a bit. From some of the photos, it doesn't look like it has those lips on the sides incase the phone falls on its face but I love the how slick it looks. Thanks for the recommendations &#128522;

Enzom21

Omg! Thank you so much for this! They all look great and are exactly what I was looking for.

My faves from this are definitely the Spigen and the elago but the lack of side coverage on the elago worries me a bit. From some of the photos, it doesn't look like it has those lips on the sides incase the phone falls on its face but I love the how slick it looks. Thanks for the recommendations &#128522;

Those ultra slim cases are just to protect against scratches and not much else.
Yeah the Spigen case is my second favorite case after the clear TPU one.

Deku Tree

A lot of my 7 Plus photos still look like "oh that's a crummy cell phone picture".

Is there anything that you do to make your photos look good?

Vyer

How about procam 4? What is the biggest difference between the apps?

Edit: and manual app

procam and procamera are a little more 'dense' in terms of design/UI. Of course if you're willing to take the time there is a lot of fine tuning you can do. Manual is a little more streamlined, so I'd say it's probably a little more user friendly and easier to use. Manual just seems to be a little better with it's design, and has nice little touches (like it shifts from regular to 'dark' mode depending on the lighting when you open the app).

How hard is it to bend the 7+? I'm worried I did it today at a party, I crouched down really low to tie my shoes and when I took my phone out of my pocket the case had been peeled off. Is there a way to check?

jts

...hate me...
How hard is it to bend the 7+? I'm worried I did it today at a party, I crouched down really low to tie my shoes and when I took my phone out of my pocket the case had been peeled off. Is there a way to check?
Set it flat against a table, sans camera, I guess. Check visually how flat it sits, and check for wobbling.

Probably pretty hard though, it uses a strong aluminum alloy like the 6s. It's more likely that the lips/sides of the case were pressed in a way that made the case pop out.

marrec

Banned
A lot of my 7 Plus photos still look like "oh that's a crummy cell phone picture".

Is there anything that you do to make your photos look good?

Besides "taking better pictures" the most you can do to improve cellphone snaps is to improve the white balance and exposure. You're not getting a ton of manual control with the default app so you'd have to download a third party app for full control, but even just moving slightly into and out of light sources can drastically change the balance of a photo.

Composition and color are the most important bits in a photo. Pay attention to the coolness or warmth of the photo and also lighting, and practice.

Top Bottom