• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Aiii

So not worth it
Wow, I feel dumb, but it took me over a month to notice the little haptic feedback the phone does when you open the notification slide and it bounces on the bottom of the screen.

Now I can't stop playing with the slider.

MEATER

So apparently there's no way to get my hands on an iPhone 7plus this year before christmas.

Really want a new phone my 5s just isn't going to cut it anymore. Should I go with a 7 or a 6s plus for the larger screen?

The screen size is basically the thing that draws me most to the 7 plus.

Looking forward mostly to a better camera (going to take lots of photos over the holidays and new year) and better multitasking (5s has real trouble switching between several browsertabs, spotify and games guess that will be better with more RAM)

shwimpy

I see some $250 gift card with activation offers for Black Friday. I'm putting off a switch over to AT&T til then, but I wonder if they'll actually have stock.
looking to do the same. i have a walmart, best buy and target walking distance from each other, hope i don't strike out on all three.

SteveWD40

So apparently there's no way to get my hands on an iPhone 7plus this year before christmas.

Really want a new phone my 5s just isn't going to cut it anymore. Should I go with a 7 or a 6s plus for the larger screen?

The screen size is basically the thing that draws me most to the 7 plus.

Looking forward mostly to a better camera (going to take lots of photos over the holidays and new year) and better multitasking (5s has real trouble switching between several browsertabs, spotify and games guess that will be better with more RAM)

I have the same issue, only I CAN get a 32GB 7plus, which may be just enough (7 days it says), or I can go with the 128GB 7 / 6s+.

I am hearing the 7's battery is as good as the 6s+, which sounds amazing considering the size difference.

MEATER

I have the same issue, only I CAN get a 32GB 7plus, which may be just enough (7 days it says), or I can go with the 128GB 7 / 6s+.

I am hearing the 7's battery is as good as the 6s+, which sounds amazing considering the size difference.

Even tougher choice then :/

I think I would go with the 32GB plus in that case. You can use Google to store your photos in the cloud and if you do not need to have 20 large games and your whole music collection on the phone 32 GB should be small but manageable. I use Spotify to stream music for example and my data plan has that covered so the 64 GB on my 5s were eaten largely by photos and poorly managed podcast subscriptions.

Only Target and Walmart have the $250 card deal and I don't have a walmart in NYC :/
Bestbuy offers a $250 card but only on Iphone 7 256Gb.
FML.

Is the Iphone 7 plus camera really that much better then Iphone 7 ? That's the only thing I care about.

Akira

I'm thinking about doing that free iPhone 7 upgrade from T-Mobile. Did they release info on higher storage costs? I am coming from the 128gb 6S+ so the free 32gb iPhone is definitely not enough. Also if I were to trade in my phone, if I back it up before trade in... will I be able to restore everything including iMessages, SMS, full sized photos, apps, music, etc? In other words does it back up everything?

so here's a question that shows off my OCD side, has anyone found a lightning/3.5mm adapter in black that isn't awful? the included one looks a bit daft between my black phone and black headphone cable.

Vyer

Only Target and Walmart have the $250 card deal and I don't have a walmart in NYC :/
Bestbuy offers a $250 card but only on Iphone 7 256Gb.
FML.

Is the Iphone 7 plus camera really that much better then Iphone 7 ? That's the only thing I care about.

It's a nice improvement with a cool feature in the dual camera/portrait beta. That said, it's not like the 7 is a bad camera in any way and certainly you'll have good photos with either.

Red

My brother bought a 256GB Sprint iPhone 7 from from a Facebook sale. $300. The iCloud account has been removed so we are pretty sure it was not stolen. But it was not unlocked as promised, and on the phone with Sprint we were told not only is the phone line still active, it is still being paid for under an EIP. The Sprint SIM is still in it. We are listening to voicemails that, we guess from the personal info, were likely intended for the guy he bought it from. We tried to get in contact with the seller but he won't respond. What's the best course of action here? Just use it? Someone else is paying for the cell plan. We've let him know the situation over Facebook and he has seen the messages... but still no response.

My brother bought a 256GB Sprint iPhone 7 from from a Facebook sale. $300. The iCloud account has been removed so we are pretty sure it was not stolen. But it was not unlocked as promised, and on the phone with Sprint we were told not only is the phone line still active, it is still being paid for under an EIP. The Sprint SIM is still in it. We are listening to voicemails that, we guess from the personal info, were likely intended for the guy he bought it from. We tried to get in contact with the seller but he won't respond. What's the best course of action here? Just use it? Someone else is paying for the cell plan. We've let him know the situation over Facebook and he has seen the messages... but still no response.
Do you mean somebody else as in somebody neither of you know? Because if so you need to get a new SIM and stop using that guy's plan. Why would you even listen to somebody else's voicemail's?.. First thing that should have been done when you got the phone was for it to be reset and he use his own SIM.

Red

Do you mean somebody else as in somebody neither of you know? Because if so you need to get a new SIM and stop using that guy's plan. Why would you even listen to somebody else's voicemail's?.. First thing that should have been done when you got the phone was for it to be reset and he use his own SIM.
Somebody else as in probably the seller. The phone is cleared off and factory reset but it has the old SIM, so we have the seller's phone records and access to the phone number that is still active on his account. We were listening to the voicemails because we wanted to know if this phone was stolen or not and thought the voicemails might provide a clue. Now we're all but certain it was the seller's phone. Of course the plan was for my brother to use his own SIM, but the phone was sold as unlocked when in fact it was not, and was even still tied to an EIP contract the seller is still paying for. We can't activate with my brother's SIM on a phone that is locked to Sprint.

I need some major advice GAF:

1)

Got a 6S Plus but Ive very worried about reach.

Reachability looks like such a bad feature compared to Android's solution, and I was wondering if there was any way to use Android's "scale down entire phone" feature on my 6S.

2)

Does reachability work on ANY app? Or is it just default iOS apps? Can I use it browsing GAF on a Chrome app? My mom and sis got a 6S plus and Im worried that they are going to realize they bit off more than they can chew. Something like a screen resize option would be great, but it seems Iphone doesnt have this at all. Is there maybe an app??

3)

Is 32 GB enough?

My current Galaxy S4 is 32 GB and has 8 GB still left. But Im sure picture quality has improved tremendously to take up more space.

Vyer

I need some major advice GAF:

1) Got a 6S Plus but Ive very worried about reach.

Reachability looks like such a bad feature compared to Android's solution, and I was wondering if there was any way to use Android's "scale down entire phone" feature on my 6S. Does reachability work on ANY app? Or is it just default iOS apps? Can I use it browsing GAF on a Chrome app?

2) Is 32 GB enough?

My current Galaxy S4 is 32 GB and has 8 GB still left. But Im sure picture quality has improved tremendously to take up more space.

Reachability works everywhere as far as I can tell. You're probably going to find that it's less of an issue than you might be anticipating.

Hard to answer #2. Going to come down to your personal usage and exactly how much you will be using the camera. if you're still using an S4 and haven't yet filled 32 gb then you might be ok with it.

Thank you guys.

Good to hear I can use Reachability nearly everywhere... that takes a whole lot of stress off. Not sure what imessage banner is, but I want to be able to use it for GAF and Reddit at least.

There's no way to delete safari and make something like firefox the default browser right?

Same for gmail. Can I access gmail like a widget? Or do I have to always open it as an app?

Good to hear I can use Reachability nearly everywhere... that takes a whole lot of stress off. Not sure what imessage banner is, but I want to be able to use it for GAF and Reddit at least.

Reachability requires the developer to add support for it, it's not automatic. I have no idea whether Google supports it or not in their apps. I just use the default Mail app to access my gmail accounts.

There's no real Chrome or Firefox on iOS, they all use Safari's web engine with a skin and other stuff on top.

Reachability requires the developer to add support for it, it's not automatic. I have no idea whether Google supports it or not in their apps. I just use the default Mail app to access my gmail accounts.

There's no real Chrome or Firefox on iOS, they all use Safari's web engine with a skin and other stuff on top.

Oh...

I guess I can get used to forwarding everything to iMail and I assume Safari is no different than Firefox for the most part.

Blackhead

Redarse

Somebody else as in probably the seller. The phone is cleared off and factory reset but it has the old SIM, so we have the seller's phone records and access to the phone number that is still active on his account. We were listening to the voicemails because we wanted to know if this phone was stolen or not and thought the voicemails might provide a clue. Now we're all but certain it was the seller's phone. Of course the plan was for my brother to use his own SIM, but the phone was sold as unlocked when in fact it was not, and was even still tied to an EIP contract the seller is still paying for. We can't activate with my brother's SIM on a phone that is locked to Sprint.

... you really thought you were getting a 256GB unlocked iPhone 7 for $300 without a catch? iPhone resale values have been dropping but c'mon you didn't test if it was unlocked at time of purchase?

Pay to unlock it asap either online or some local shop. If that seller is dumping the phone and not responding to messages he is most likely going to stop paying for EIP contract which would result in Sprint blacklisting the phone

Red

... you really thought you were getting a 256GB unlocked iPhone 7 for $300 without a catch? iPhone resale values have been dropping but c'mon you didn't test if it was unlocked at time of purchase?

Pay to unlock it asap either online or some local shop. If that seller is dumping the phone and not responding to messages he is most likely going to stop paying for EIP contract which would result in Sprint blacklisting the phone
Yeah, I warned my brother. For $300 he chose to gamble. The seller seemed like he needed money fast. He's got voicemails from police asking him to call back about a DUI he was arrested for. We can try a pay to unlock site (not sure how up and up they are). I was wondering about proper etiquette in the meantime. Like, should we just run up this guy's data? The phone is in our possession but entirely tied to his plan. We were thinking about leaving it on LTE and streaming Netflix continuously until he gets the message.

Vyer

Oh...

I guess I can get used to forwarding everything to iMail and I assume Safari is no different than Firefox for the most part.

Reachability works in gmail, chrome and youtube apps.

I don't know what the situation is with developers, but I've yet to encounter an app where it doesn't work. so it may be a mandatory thing apple requires, I don't know.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah, I warned my brother. For $300 he chose to gamble. The seller seemed like he needed money fast. He's got voicemails from police asking him to call back about a DUI he was arrested for. We can try a pay to unlock site (not sure how up and up they are). I was wondering about proper etiquette in the meantime. Like, should we just run up this guy's data? The phone is in our possession but entirely tied to his plan. We were thinking about leaving it on LTE and streaming Netflix continuously until he gets the message.

You even sure the SIM that's in the phone belongs to the seller? Sounds plausible that the seller just sold someone else's phone and took off with the money.

Red

You even sure the SIM that's in the phone belongs to the seller? Sounds plausible that the seller just sold someone else's phone and took off with the money.
We are almost positive. We know him through an acquaintance of an acquaintance and asked about the voicemails we found. It would be very unlikely the SIM belongs to someone else.

Prologue

My mother finally finished paying off her iPhone 6plus and wants to sell it. She disconnected it from sprint. is there anything else she needs to do? Can she "unlock" it?

Is android recovery software safe?

Move to iOS app isnt working and I need to transfer my messages and contacts most importantly. Would like to transfer whatsapp convos too if possible. Is there an alternative?

I know this is for 7,

but which case is best for 6S Plus?? Would like to stay under $15.00 as I need 3 of them.

Top ones seem to be Spigen Slim Fit and JEtech

jts

...hate me...
I'm absolutely jonesing for the AirPods. Constantly refreshing MacRumours for news, and I must have seen every single Youtube video that shows them. Unhealthy levels of thirst.

The fact that Apple are committed to fix whatever problems they have just makes me want to get them more, but hell that must have been one hell of an issue. I hope we get the full story someday.

I'm convinced that these will miss the holiday season, hope to be proven wrong.

They didn't make a battery case for any Plus model, going back to the 6/6S

If you need even more battery than what the Plus offers you'll need to go third party.

Does the Plus offer that much more battery life? I haven't owned a "Plus" yet but I was thinking of making the 7 Plus my first.

But I got kinda jaded lately because my iPhone 6s battery drains within one hour; and usually completely turns off with 20-40% battery left.

Does the Plus offer that much more battery life? I haven't owned a "Plus" yet but I was thinking of making the 7 Plus my first.

But I got kinda jaded lately because my iPhone 6s battery drains within one hour; and usually completely turns off with 20-40% battery left.

Yes. My 7+ is just fine all day. I did have the "turns off at 20-40" issue on my 6, and they seem to be offering a fix for 6S users. So you could try for that. But the plus model is always going to offer more battery life as there's just more room in the structure for a battery.

Do you mean W1 headphones? Because there are a lot of bt headphone options otherwise.

W1, I should have clarified.

I just feel like if they're going to put the phone out without a jack, and offer W1 as a solution, it's bullshit that the most affordable of the W1 options are still being held back/not released yet.

chimster

So I have a sporadic issue with my iPhone 7 plus' camera. Here are two video examples I took recently on my vacation

https://youtu.be/L4VfEV-s2tY

https://youtu.be/Osv6OfiGSzU

Is anybody else experience this wobbley effect? It occurs randomly when I try to take pictures or video. Seems like the camera is having issues focusing.

I've only had the phone for a little over a month. I tried to take a video using my mom's iPhone 7 plus at the same location but her phone did not have the same issue.

Any ideas on what is causing this or how I can fix it?

Red

So I have a sporadic issue with my iPhone 7 plus' camera. Here are two video examples I took recently on my vacation

Is anybody else experience this wobbley effect? It occurs randomly when I try to take pictures or video. Seems like the camera is having issues focusing.

I've only had the phone for a little over a month. I tried to take a video using my mom's iPhone 7 plus at the same location but her phone did not have the same issue.

Show that at a Genius Bar and they'll probably replace your phone.

Vyer

W1, I should have clarified.

I just feel like if they're going to put the phone out without a jack, and offer W1 as a solution, it's bullshit that the most affordable of the W1 options are still being held back/not released yet.

yeah, i was never really clear how the third party W1 situation was supposed to look. the delay sucks overall, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a rush at the beginning of the year.

luckily I had already jumped on the BT bandwagon before any of this no headphone jack stuff was even rumored, so the two pair I have are still pretty much business as usual for me

Show that at a Genius Bar and they'll probably replace your phone.

yeah, that looks like a replacement

Top Bottom