• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

iavi

Picked up a 7 plus after several years of android, last iPhone was iPhone 4.

I have to say overall I'm digging it, seems to be much less glitchy and is quicker than even android flagships (previous phones s4, G4, v10, s7, note 7).

I do think the notifications are jank and chrome, gmail and google maps are infinitely superior to safari and the native mail and maps apps. Thankfully gmail, maps, and chrome are available on iOS.

I'm going to miss the expandable memory but it's not the end of the word to just throw pics on hard drives and swap out music every now and then. I'm on tmobile jump on demand so it makes zero sense to put any money down on a 128gb model. I do think 64gb should be the base storage at least on the plus model though.

Picked up a tozo case which is sleek as fuck. Knock off of a peel but it's literally the exact same thing.

I also don't understand why I can't customize the home screens and the lack of an app drawer. Something apple definitely needs to steal from android. Just having every single fucking app on the home screens is stupid as fuck.

Battery life is also nuts, at 52% right now and all my androids would have needed a charge by now. 8am to 7pm that's amazing.

I just did the same thing. Got a gold 7+.

I love a lot of things about Android--notifications, and Gapps, like you say--but IOS' optimization is so much better on the battery. going from 7:30am to 10pm and still having 40%+ left on the battery--with HEAVY use-- never gets old.

DedValve

Banned
this is more of an ipad question but its all iOS anyways.

Is there a way to stop my ipad from nagging me to update? Sometimes I accidentally click ok while scrolling and I have to power down my ipad immediately to stop it. I'm on an air 1 and I just want to stop at iOS 10 as I've had ugly history with updating older iOS devices.

If it involves jailbreak whats the safest jailbreak method and how to stop those nagging update notifications?

Vuze

Man, where the hell are them AirPods at. I knew Cook supposedly said they'd be coming in the "following weeks" some time ago but damn.

First Apple product I really want and they fail to get it out in time for christmas.

Aiii

So not worth it
Dropped the phone in my tub just now. Freaked out. Then sheepishly realized it is water resistant and dried it off. So that was fun.

j-wood

I'm thinking of going careless on my 7, but am concerned about the camera protrusion. Am I likely to scratch it setting it down on tables?

I have Apple care is another reason I'm thinking of ditching the case. Phone just feels so good without one.

I'm thinking of going careless on my 7, but am concerned about the camera protrusion. Am I likely to scratch it setting it down on tables?

I have Apple care is another reason I'm thinking of ditching the case. Phone just feels so good without one.
I feel like there shouldn't be any problems since it has sapphire glass covering it, unless you take it out to the beach like that. I keep on and off using mine case-less because it feels so much better without one. I'm probably just going to get a skin and try one of those out instead of a case.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't put cases on things, but I'm insured for stuff breaking (theft/loss/etc) up to 3000 Euro through my insurance, so that's not a factor for me.

I put a clear back protector on it to keep it from scratching if I put it on a table somewhere, mostly for the resale value.

Digitalyosh

Neo Member
Finally bought myself a 7 and decided to go with the (RED) battery case and this is the perfect phone for me. It's quick, great on battery life, almost can be used one handed, and the quality of apps galore. Yes you can't customize it as much as Android, but I just like how smooth the operation is without any sort of lag or glitches (thus far).

theytookourjobz

I'm on t mobile jump too and I've got an iPhoneSE right now. Can't decide if when I am eligible for an upgrade, I should just pay the $200 and keep the SE and get a 7+ or just trade it in. I feel like I'm losing money if I give them the SE...

Deku Tree

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/12/bh-photo-beatsx-delayed-least-2-3-months/

Apple Reseller B&H Says BeatsX Earphones Delayed At Least 2-3 Months

This makes me really mad.

I honestly don't like using the lightening headphones. They cut out in my pocket because the lightening connector is too short and when the phone jiggles while I am riding my bike the headphones stop working and they don't start working again until I go in my pocket and adjust them.

These are the bluetooth headphones that I wanted to buy. I don't want to buy a $150+ pair of bluetooth headphones that I don't really want. And I like to listen to my headphones on my bike to work. But honestly lightening is bad for that because of the reason I described.

I honestly don't like using the lightening headphones. They cut out in my pocket because the lightening connector is too short and when the phone jiggles while I am riding my bike the headphones stop working and they don't start working again until I go in my pocket and adjust them.

These are the bluetooth headphones that I wanted to buy. I don't want to buy a $150+ pair of bluetooth headphones that I don't really want. And I like to listen to my headphones on my bike to work. But honestly lightening is bad for that because of the reason I described.

These were the Bluetooth headphones that I really wanted. It really sucks that they remove the headphone jack and then can't get Beats X or AirPods out the door this year. I've been eyeing up some Audeze lightning headphones, but also wanted a pair of W1 in ears to complement them. Apple is becoming increasingly frustrating with their product launches.

Any reliable unlocking services for the 7plus with AT&T? Taking this bad boy to Brazil but I want to use their country's SIM card instead of paying for AT&T's outrageous international plan

Fucking infuriating. Apple is going to lose a lot of user trust over this, IMO. Whenever they make big changes on the level of the headphone jack, they have their solution ready to go (and in this case, solution != that fucking dongle).

Vuze

Damn, another 2-3 months. I really hope this doesn't apply to the AirPods.

I was just discussing this, and I realize Apple's M.O. is silence and secrecy, but I feel like in just this ONE CASE, where they made a large change to their hardware, asked for trust from their users, and have clearly failed to deliver, they should make an exception and tell us what exactly is up with this particular product.

To be clear, a multinational corporation that I'm requesting give me the ability to pay them $150 owes me nothing (and I, them), but since the (sub $200) solution to a problem that they created is completely unavailable, an update or explanation from the source would be nice.

so the one thing the beats x have in common with the air pods is size... which also explains why both the solo3s and the powerbeats3s are fine.

mess.

so the one thing the beats x have in common with the air pods is size... which also explains why both the solo3s and the powerbeats3s are fine.

mess.

And they're cheaper than the AirPods. I'm in full on Alex Jones conspiracy mode at this point, but I am convinced Apple's holding Beats X back so they don't totally eat the AirPods lunch.

My new 7 plus just arrived. Is there a simple way to transfer everything from my 6 (apps, photos, notes, voice memos)? Also, is my progress in games saved in the cloud? If not can I transfer?

Pinewood

Not sure if there is an aggregate iPhone thread so here goes:

Im looking at a new phone and deciding between the 128GB 7 and the 64GB SE.

Any advice? The 7 seems the better phone overall, but its 860€ vs 550€. Ive never had a phone that expensive and that is kinda putting me off. What is the expected lifetime of an iPhone? My current 300€ phone has lasted me 3 years (granted the last 1,5 years have been pretty bad)

Aiii

So not worth it
You'll get roughly 3 years of update from launch, at least. The SE is a year old, so the 7 will last you longer.

However, the 7 might cost more, but will probably give you more resale value. And iPhone's are great at holding value compared to Android mobiles.

Pinewood

I just dont want see Apple announce a 7s that has a dedicated headphone port.

Or an updated SEs in the spring that has all the goodies from 7, including the haptic button.

that is really, REALLY unlikely but Im still finding it hard to let go of the wires

Cetra

So last night my iPhone 7 started doing something really weird. Although the mute switch is on, I'm still getting sound notifications for texts, etc? Any ideas on what could cause it or how I could fix it? I can't stand my phone not being on Silent. I still want it to vibrate, but I only want sounds if my mute switch is not turned on.

Never seen this before, been an iPhone user since the 4 and this is really throwing me for a loop, lol.

When I picked up my iPhone 7 Plus from the apple store there was some issue on their end and I was at the store for like 2 hours waiting for them to fix their shit. So the manager asked if I wanted anything, iPhone case, portable charger... I asked if I could the AirPods when they came out, he said no problem. I was even at the store last week and the manager recognized me and said "don't worry, I didn't forget about your AirPods"

class A customer service

Pinewood

any apps to display ios storage usage? Im trying to figure out my storage needs based on what I have on my iPad and there is 32GB used by documents&data and other, 16 and 16 respectively. So Id like to get a better analysis of what those acutally are beside "well it might be cache for some apps"

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
any apps to display ios storage usage? Im trying to figure out my storage needs based on what I have on my iPad and there is 32GB used by documents&data and other, 16 and 16 respectively. So Id like to get a better analysis of what those acutally are beside "well it might be cache for some apps"
The built in feature doesn't help?

04srefa.jpg

It's insane how fucking bloated and huge these apps get, basically delete and re download your most commonly used apps and you'll free up major space

just a few posts up Twitter went from 100MB app to almost 1GB

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It's insane how fucking bloated and huge these apps get, basically delete and re download your most commonly used apps and you'll free up major space

just a few posts up Twitter went from 100MB app to almost 1GB
I collect thumbnails, don't knock my twitter!

will give a shit when I don't have 80gb free

I just picked up a 7 plus this week and feel like my battery isn't lasting as long as I thought.. what's a typical number for usage? I'm at 14 hours of standby and 2 hours 47 minutes of usage currently @ 64%.

StuffRuff

I just picked up a 7 plus this week and feel like my battery isn't lasting as long as I thought.. what's a typical number for usage? I'm at 14 hours of standby and 2 hours 47 minutes of usage currently @ 64%.

If I manage to use my phone enough to get sub 5% by the end of the day I've usually got anywhere from 7.5 to 8 hours of active use according to battery stats.

That sounds about right.

I usually get to about 7/8 hours usage when I'm at 10% or under but that comes down to 6 if it's a "heavy usage" day.

I don't turn any settings off/down to save battery.

ok cool...just wanted to make sure. I guess my expectations were a bit high in terms of battery life. It's definitely better than my previous phone but from reading impressions, I was expecting a bit more that this.

ok cool...just wanted to make sure. I guess my expectations were a bit high in terms of battery life. It's definitely better than my previous phone but from reading impressions, I was expecting a bit more that this.

Because of the Plus' size, it's real strength lies in standby time. The screen is huge, when that thing is on and at a high brightness it'll kill your battery. But like iPads the big size means a big battery as well that will last seemingly forever when the screen is off. That's how people manage to go long periods of time on one charge

BillyJack

Banned
Do any of you guys find its hard to wake the iphone 7 out of sleep mode?
I swear so many times it will go to sleep and Ill press the home button or the sleep button and it just does nothing till I wait about 30 sec then try again.

_jnup

I finally made the jump from Android and picked up the Jet Black 7+. I'm amazed on how long the battery lasts for. While using the S6, I can probably go for about 12 hours with moderate use before the battery dies. With the 7+, I was at 60% at the end of the night.

chrono01

So I'm eligible for an upgrade, and I'm looking at both the 6S and the 7. I can get the 32GB 6S for free, the 128GB 6S for $80, and a 32GB iPhone 7 for $200. I'm currently using an iPhone 5S, so I would like a larger screen as I enjoy gaming on it so I'd like the added screen real estate.

Between the two, which you guys recommend? I know, this being an iPhone 7 OT and all, the opinion might be slightly skewed, but any insight into the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Guess Who

Banned
So I'm eligible for an upgrade, and I'm looking at both the 6S and the 7. I can get the 32GB 6S for free, the 128GB 6S for $80, and a 32GB iPhone 7 for $200. I'm currently using an iPhone 5S, so I would like a larger screen as I enjoy gaming on it so I'd like the added screen real estate.

Between the two, which you guys recommend? I know, this being an iPhone 7 OT and all, the opinion might be slightly skewed, but any insight into the matter would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't get a 32GB phone, personally, so if these were my options I'd go for the 128GB 6S.

The 6S is still an extremely capable phone.

chrono01

I wouldn't get a 32GB phone, personally, so if these were my options I'd go for the 128GB 6S.

The 6S is still an extremely capable phone.
I'm currently using a 32GB 5S, and I'm not finding the space to be terribly restrictive. I have a decent amount of music on it, not to mention around 6-7 games that I frequently play, and I still have around 1.5GB free. You're right though, more space wouldn't hurt...

BTW, the pricing was wrong I quote earlier. The cheaper prices had me locked to higher-priced data plans, I should have known there was a catch :/). It's now:

32GB 6S (149.99)
128GB 6S ($279)
32GB iPhone 7 ($399.99)

They have a promotion where I get $100 credit for activating the phone on the plan I'm choosing, so that'll knock the price of the 128GB 6S to $179, which is more than manageable. $300 for an iPhone 7 though, even with the discount...not sure it's worth it, especially if the 6S (as you said) is still capable. If I can make do with the lower space though, maybe it would be worth spending the extra $120 or whatever for the 7...

I'm currently using a 32GB %S, and I'm not finding the space to be terribly restrictive. I have a decent amount of music on it, not to mention around 6-7 games that I frequently play, and I still have around 1.5GB free. You're right though, more space wouldn't hurt...

BTW, the pricing was wrong I quote earlier The cheaper prices had me locked to higher-priced data plans, I should have known there was a catch :/). It's now:

32GB 6S (Free)
128GB 6S ($149)
32GB iPhone 7 ($399.99)

They have a promotion where I get $100 credit for activating the phone on the plan I'm choosing, so that'll knock the price of the 6S to $49, which is more than manageable. $300 for an iPhone 7 though, even with the discount...not sure it's worth it, especially if the 6S (as you said) is still capable.
What carrier is this?

Plus owners, have you had any issues with the phone randomly restarting? I got one yesterday and twice now it's restarted out of nowhere. Everything is up to date and it happens while the phone is sitting on a table, not being used.

Top Bottom