• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran tests missile and radar systems, defying U.S. sanctions

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/iran-missile-test-1.3967278

Iran is holding a military exercise on Saturday to test its missile and radar systems, a day after U.S. President Donald Trump's administration imposed sanctions on Tehran for a recent ballistic missile test.

The United States sanctioned 13 individuals and 12 entities related to Iran's missile program and Trump's national security adviser Michael Flynn said the United States was putting Iran on notice over its "destabilising activity."

Iran's Revolutionary Guards website said the aim of the military exercise in Semnan province was to "showcase the power of Iran's revolution and to dismiss the sanctions."

Theyre still abiding by the nuclear deal thankfully

who would have known poking bears with sticks results in an angry bear

Ishan

Can someone explain this to me (in more detail than trump sucks) why exactly can't Iran build missiles ? I get the deal with nukes but what's the issue with missile tests .

butzopower

proud of his butz
Can someone explain this to me (in more detail than trump sucks) why exactly can't Iran build missiles ? I get the deal with nukes but what's the issue with missile tests .

Israel is an ally. Same reason we don't like NK doing missile tests.

You can put nukes on the missiles and then you have a North Korea type situation going on. Then the Saudis or Egypt may try to get their own nuclear capable missiles in response and a breakout nuclear capability to deter Iran.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
They aren't defying anything because

a) these are unilateral sanctions from a single country, not from the UN. They don't mean anything from an international legal point of view without UN backing.

And b) the US sanctions are not against the country but against private individuals and businesses related to the Iranian military.

They haven't currently broken/defied any UN agreements or the Nuclear agreement.

Sunster

You can put nukes on the missiles and then you have a North Korea type situation going on. Then the Saudis or Egypt may try to get their own nuclear capable missiles in response and a breakout nuclear capability to deter Iran.

but they have no nukes and no way to create them because they are following the stipulations of the deal.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Someone is going to end up popping shit then apologizing soon. I just wonder who will blink first

commedieu

Banned

Nuclear Israel doesn't want Iran to develop a secret weapons program like they did. America is their attack dog, and Trump wants irans resources.

They are within their rights legally to build and test weapons as long as they aren't building nuclear bombs.

They reduced their nuclear material, and have their nuclear power program monitored by the iaea. That is what the Iran deal was about. Noting forbids them from building defenses.

They are abiding by their side of the deal. That's why they got their held monies back.

Ishan

They aren't defying anything because

a) these are unilateral sanctions from a single country, not from the UN. They don't mean anything from an international legal point of view without UN backing.

And b) the US sanctions are not against the country but against private individuals and businesses related to the Iranian military.

They haven't currently broken/defied any UN agreements or the Nuclear agreement.
Ah ok.

I see President Oompa's and/or Bannon's plan to manufacture a war in the Middle East is going along swimmingly. They seem to have found their target: Iran. And now we watch as the White House begins to obsess over antagonizing Iran and only Iran.

Laekon

Israel is an ally. Same reason we don't like NK doing missile tests.

NK is trying to build long range ballistic missiles. Iran is testing shorter range ones.

How are current Russia and Iranian relations? Is Russia worried that a less sanctioned Iran will cut into it's energy business with Europe?

SexyFish

Banned
i feel like this is a common theme in all political threads. =X

tumblr_inline_nwp2n0RgQj1s9clfh_500.png

Can't imagine why.

The reason this is at all noteworthy is that its more a metaphorical fuck you to trump. So Trumps shenanigans are raising tensions in the persia area

Iran can build missiles, but Trump has sanctioned several companies and individuals with ties to their missile district, with isnt out of the ordinary as I recall obama doing the same. Its just this is more of a provocation

Shoeless

I honestly don't know how Trump is going to react to an Iran situation where he can't fire, bully or ignore the opposition. Those have been his three go-to strategies in business and politics so far, but none of them work in a formal declaration of war situation.

LordOfChaos

I thought missile testing wasn't actually against the nuclear agreement, being a nuclear agreement? Many countries develop missile and radar capabilities.

Ovid

I see President Oompa's and/or Bannon's plan to manufacture a war in the Middle East is going along swimmingly. They seem to have found their target: Iran. And now we watch as the White House begins to obsess over antagonizing Iran and only Iran.
IF this happens, we as a people have to make sure that we voice our opposition to it...loudly. Unfortunately back in 2002-2003, we didn't have the means to organize and collectively do it.

Shoeless

IF this happens, we as a people have to make sure that we voice our opposition to it...loudly. Unfortunately back in 2002-2003, we didn't have the means to organize and collectively do it.

But the real question is, how many will actually be opposed? If you look at those polls for the immigration ban, it looks like either the fear mongering, or the in-built racism of some Americans would favor killing foreigners anyway, since the assumption seems to be it'll be like a COD deathmatch, with the USA having a quick, bloodless victory.

There is nothing Trump can do to stop Iran from missile testing. This is within their rights, so no wonder they just ignored the White House.

'Putting you on notice.' Are not very scary words it seems.

Kettch

Can't blame them. Everything the Trump administration has done has suggested they want a war, best to get your defenses ready.

Because ballistic missile testing could theoretically be a test of a delivery vehicle for a nuclear weapon.

What are the chances of the UN putting sanctions on the US if we invade another middle eastern country for no reason?

The US has broken so many rules the UN, and the SC obviously as the the US is part of the 5 veto powers, wont do anything particularily much.

Rights of a child, rights of women, intervention in libya, invasion of iraq, international criminal court, etc. US doesnt follow international law if it doesnt suit their interests

I've never understood why the US should be allowed nukes, but not other countries, tbh.

Mikef2000

Guys, it's OK. Mike Flynn will do a press conference tomorrow and announce that Trump is putting Iran on official double secret "On notice".

What are the chances of the UN putting sanctions on the US if we invade another middle eastern country for no reason?

None. The US has veto power to block anything and the economic leverage to convince the UK and France to either cast a no vote or abstain from voting altogether.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I've never understood why the US should be allowed nukes, but not other countries, tbh.

You can't uninvent them so the next best thing is to prevent more being made. Remember the US and Russia have been reducing their stockpile for nearly 40 years. We're never going to live in a world without nukes but that doesn't mean everyone should get one.

Kolx

I'd rather less countries having nukes specially in the ME. A government such as Iran having nuclear weapons would trigger a disaster in the ME.

The argument at a stretch would be that while Iran can legally create and test missiles, if it happened to be working on its nuclear capabilities illegally in the background, then letting these tests go on without consequence would be tantamount to letting them continue with their nuclear programme.

Of course, they're very likely only doing this because someone decided to 'put them on notice'.

Because ballistic missile testing could theoretically be a test of a delivery vehicle for a nuclear weapon.

They can also carry chemical/classic warheads but anyway they are crude weapons mostly designed to hit cities or other "soft" targets - for strictly military usage cruise missiles would be much more practical.

Of course, they're very likely only doing this because someone decided to 'put them on notice'.

It takes bit more to develop and build ballistic missile than few days.

Makareu

Not much longer before Bannon has a pretext to go on with his plan.
What an impossible situation. Not reacting to the current US administration whould imply that that it is tolerable. Reacting to it can be spinned as escalation.

Kolx

The argument at a stretch would be that while Iran can legally create and test missiles, if it happened to be working on its nuclear capabilities illegally in the background, then letting these tests go on without consequence would be tantamount to letting them continue with their nuclear programme.

Iran broke the nuclear deal multiple times in Obama administration. This has nothing to do with Trump statement.

commedieu

Banned

There is no evidence to support a claim that Iran is developing nukes though. This could be applied to anyone developing missiles. It's nothing to go to war over, for sure. Iran wants missiles to defend from an obvious enemy that just tried to sack syria.

Nukes are just bargaining chips. Iran wants to sell its resources to markets like anyone else.

They can also carry chemical/classic warheads but anyway they are crude weapons mostly designed to hit cities or other "soft" targets - for strictly military usage cruise missiles would be much more practical.

It takes bit more to develop and build ballistic missile than few days.

Iran broke the nuclear deal multiple times in Obama administration. This has nothing to do with Trump statement.

Fair enough point, but I would certainly wager that the specific timing of it is. As in, done as quickly as possible with the resources already set up to wave it in Trump's face.

commedieu

Banned
Fair enough point, but I would certainly wager that the specific timing of it is. As in, done as quickly as possible with the resources already set up to wave it in Trump's face.

On one hand, They've been testing weapons. On the other they did ban Americans from there in response to Trump's ban.

I think they know Russia has their back.. I think? And Syria? Else.. they are just next in line for another failed middle east run.

black_13

Banned
Didn't a recent bill give Trump pre-emptive strike ability vs. Iran?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1339168&page=1

I hope I'm wrong but I think a war with Iran is inevitable. It's not just Trump either. This has been long in the making. Even Hillary has gone on record that she would attack Iran if she were to become president.

Many groups are wanting this, including the pro-Israeli lobby, and a rather unknown Iranian group called the MEK that was kicked out of Iran cause they were even more crazy than the religious leaders running Iran and I'm assuming want to take over the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom