• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

danthefan

God I am glad I'm not at EP today. I cannot think of anywhere I'd rather be less than in the middle of a field in the lashing rain.

NateDog

I know a couple of people from work went, I'm still jelly as I really wanted to see Lana Del Rey in particular (guilty pleasure of mine) but the rain does make me feel a little better about not being able to go being brutally honest.

Well HMV is well and truly gone.

Also classic GameStop visit today. Went in to preorder the The Last Guardian CE (had it ordered the day it went up on ShopTo but with the current exchange rate and shipping it pretty much evens out and I'd rather get it myself), person asks "which platform is that for?". Then two guys came in and went to the other staff member and asked about the Pokémon Sun and Moon steelbooks and he said "they don't seem to be up just yet but since news just came out about it yesterday I'd give it a bit longer". One of the customers replied that this was announced ages ago and the staff member looked pretty embarrassed that he was caught out and just sort of mumbled "oh well maybe we won't have it then".

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/...s/p-20614/pok-mon-moon-steelcase-edition-3ds/

NateDog

Actually on the subject of TLG, I cancelled my ShopTo pre-order today since it's the first day in a while I've been on my laptop and I checked the exchange rate just out of curiosity, with shipping it comes to £115 which is €138 now apparently. Is it bad that I'm sad it has levelled a bit? I really should have tried to grab some Sterling while I had the chance for my March trip.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is it true that TheGameCollection ships games early? Just pre-ordered the Bioshock collection, as it would probably arrive a week after release from Amazon. Is it me or is their delivery to Ireland really slow lately?

I ordered a couple of Blu-rays from them on a Sunday and they weren't dispatched till the Thursday and arrived the Tuesday after that.

Liamario

Banned
Is it true that TheGameCollection ships games early? Just pre-ordered the Bioshock collection, as it would probably arrive a week after release from Amazon. Is it me or is their delivery to Ireland really slow lately?

I ordered a couple of Blu-rays from them on a Sunday and they weren't dispatched till the Thursday and arrived the Tuesday after that.
They do.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I've gotten it before launch, but I've also gotten it on the day. No better than anywhere else that sends early tbh

I have never really bought games online, I used to enjoy going into Xtravision/HMV after work on a Friday, but can't do that anymore, and I refuse to pay Gamestop's ridiculous prices. What sites would you recommend for release day delivery?

Liamario

Banned
I have never really bought games online, I used to enjoy going into Xtravision/HMV after work on a Friday, but can't do that anymore, and I refuse to pay Gamestop's ridiculous prices. What sites would you recommend for release day delivery?
I'd go with them. They'll get the job done. You could order from Amazon via parcel motel if you wanted either.

Markitron

I'd go with them. They'll get the job done. You could order from Amazon via parcel motel if you wanted either.

Would ordering via parcel motel really be any faster?

Thanks for the info btw

Markitron

Yeah its an address somewhere in Armagh, then it's sent down to the Republic overnight, usually between 8PM-2AM.

Thanks, I'll give it a go with my next Amazon order. Hopefully they can improve on the 10 days it took last time.

Lucreto

It depends on who they use as a courier. If they use Asendia you are in for a bad time. They seem to use them for small packages. They used them 10 times for me and they lost the package 7 times. The latest was No Man's Sky. It was sent out early, got lost, Amazon dispatched another one and only got it last Tuesday.

Parcel Motel is good, I use them for the Nintendo store and GAME. If the game dispatches Thursday on Amazon you would generally get it Saturday. I didn't realise it but they deliver Sundays as well.

Try Smyths, online the games are €65 and usually arrive release day or you can order online and collect instore on release day.

Actually on the subject of TLG, I cancelled my ShopTo pre-order today since it's the first day in a while I've been on my laptop and I checked the exchange rate just out of curiosity, with shipping it comes to £115 which is €138 now apparently. Is it bad that I'm sad it has levelled a bit? I really should have tried to grab some Sterling while I had the chance for my March trip.

Its still worth it to get money now. An post have the rate as .813 at the moment so get a bit now and when it tanks again early next year with article 50 get some more.

NateDog

Any good places for Electric Picnic highlights? RTE's coverage was abysmal as usual on Saturday. Putting on "weekend highlights" on a Saturday evening is itself a laughable idea but they didn't even show much anyway.

Makes a change from the shitty rain of yesterday.

Got myself and Xbox One S on Friday. Only downloaded Inside and Ori & The Blind Forest but might go shopping for some other games today.

Fuck me, the Xbone UI is ugly. Who designed this mess and thought it would be a good interface?

Even in that pouring rain? The RTE highlights didn't make it look that great.

Amazing. LCD SOUNDSYSTEM are honestly one of the best live acts I've ever seen, Lana killed it, it was great to see the Shins back in Ireland.
Food was great too, and some of the comedians were awesome.

I didn't mind the rain/muck. If you're going to a festival in Ireland you should know you'll most likely have to put up with that anyway.

Hopefully I will be back next year.

Catvoca

Banned
Tesco have 50% off games and Blu rays/DvD's. Their stuff is so overpriced that it's not a huge deal, but there's still a few bargains to be found.

Amazing. LCD SOUNDSYSTEM are honestly one of the best live acts I've ever seen, Lana killed it, it was great to see the Shins back in Ireland.

I didn't mind the rain/muck. If you're going to a festival in Ireland you should know you'll most likely have to put up with that anyway.

Fair enough so, sounds fun.

I'd rather it were pissing down than this hear, christ.

Tesco have 50% off games and Blu rays/DvD's. Their stuff is so overpriced that it's not a huge deal, but there's still a few bargains to be found.

Was just in my local to have a look. Nothing but COD, Fifa, Ass Creed and Lego games left. The section looked fairly unkempt so presumably it was raided of all the good stuff already.

Catvoca

Banned
Was just in my local to have a look. Nothing but COD, Fifa, Ass Creed and Lego games left. The section looked fairly unkempt so presumably it was raided of all the good stuff already.

Yeah, I only found out about it yesterday and it seemed like a lot of the best PS4 stuff was gone. Xbox One still had a bunch of recent games though. I picked up the Life is Strange special edition for €20 which was nice.

NateDog

I'm surprised at the good reviews / reception for Lana, I love her but didn't think she'd lend herself well to a festival show, never mind headlining. I hope I'll have the chance to go next time, still haven't been ever by this stage.

I'm surprised at the good reviews / reception for Lana, I love her but didn't think she'd lend herself well to a festival show, never mind headlining. I hope I'll have the chance to go next time, still haven't been ever by this stage.

On this tour she has two backup singers/dancers which really gives off the Ronettes vibe they had in the 60's. Plus out of the three times I've seen her, her vocals were flawless. The whole crowd got into it to so it turned into a massive sing-song which helped as well.

NateDog

On this tour she has two backup singers/dancers which really gives off the Ronettes vibe they had in the 60's. Plus out of the three times I've seen her, her vocals were flawless. The whole crowd got into it to so it turned into a massive sing-song which helped as well.
Did she have a string section? I was disappointed she didn't when I went to see her in Cork. Did she play much from Honeymoon bar High by the Beach?

Podge293

Dublin bus striking from 9pm tomorrow until the weekend.

A well timed strike, causes mass disruption and shows Dublin bus management in a bad light.

Pain in the ass for me (and countless others) who are set to work those days.

Will be interesting if they come to a last minute arrangement

A well timed strike, causes mass disruption and shows Dublin bus management in a bad light.

Pain in the ass for me (and countless others) who are set to work those days.

Will be interesting if they come to a last minute arrangement

Wait tomorrow? I thought it was Friday.

These were all over the bus today

14264899_583457095170692_6543175976299825322_n.jpg

14224832_583457098504025_8447762831998052563_n.jpg

Podge293

Wait tomorrow? I thought it was Friday.

These were all over the bus today

14264899_583457095170692_6543175976299825322_n.jpg

14224832_583457098504025_8447762831998052563_n.jpg

Think it was always planned for Thursday and Friday. They've just decided to shut shop at 9pm (as in the last bus is at 9pm) tomorrow. Gonna be interesting.

From all accounts they're looking a relatively modest wage rise after years of stagnation. Wonder if the public will side with them unlike the greedy luas drivers

Edit: seems Dublin bus management making them end at 9 so the buses are in the depot by midnight

Trevelyon

Who's generally the best value for mobile data in the country? Will be arriving on Sunday for just under two weeks.

So it should be business as usual on Monday? I plan on hiring a car around the 14th, until then I'll be relying on public transport while I'm based in the city.

Jamie OD

Who's generally the best value for mobile data in the country? Will be arriving on Sunday for just under two weeks.

So it should be business as usual on Monday? I plan on hiring a car around the 14th, until then I'll be relying on public transport while I'm based in the city.

Yeah the strikes are more aimed at the weekend.

Lycamobile. Also if you're around the city centre you can used dublin bikes to get around. cheap and decent.

Did she have a string section? I was disappointed she didn't when I went to see her in Cork. Did she play much from Honeymoon bar High by the Beach?

She had a backing band she's had for a few tours now. One of my favourite parts was when she sang Yayo with no backing band and just her playing the guitar.

She only played Honeymoon and High by the Beach. The rest of the set was pretty much half Born to Die/half Ultraviolence. It's a pity she didn't play Terrence Loves You as it's one of my favourite songs from her. Kinda understand it though, it doesn't really work in a festival setting.

Vagabundo

And what is FG doing about it all? Fuck all.

There has to be a happy medium between the Social Partnership and the fuck it let the sods sort it all out on a piecemeal basis idea.

Guards, teachers, bus drivers etc.. We're probably in for a winter of discontent. I wonder if FG government will last the year.

Fuck the water protests too.

</rant>

sorry in a foul mood today.

Podge293

Yeah they're striking this Thursday Friday, next Thursday Friday and then the following Friday and Saturday.

Work just told me to pay for a taxi in but I can't expense it back. Actually laughed at them. It'd be cheaper for me to take an unpaid day

I'd be more sympathetic to the bus drivers if the service wasn't so terrible, least where I live. Bus is always ridiculously late or ridiculously early, doesn't show up every half an hour anyway, RTPI is often wrong, etc.

Top Bottom