• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

NateDog

She had a backing band she's had for a few tours now. One of my favourite parts was when she sang Yayo with no backing band and just her playing the guitar.

She only played Honeymoon and High by the Beach. The rest of the set was pretty much half Born to Die/half Ultraviolence. It's a pity she didn't play Terrence Loves You as it's one of my favourite songs from her. Kinda understand it though, it doesn't really work in a festival setting.
Man I'm jelly, Yayo is one of my favourite songs of hers.

Shame about no string section again, songs like Honeymoon and Cola aren't the same at all without them, the violin makes half of those tracks.

I dunno what to make of the Dublin Bus business. On one hand if the delayed 6/8% rise is true then I get where they're coming from, but I feel like it's mostly greed coming out from everyone now. I'm expecting if they get their wishes or close enough to it, Luas drivers will want more again because they "deserve" more.

NateDog

Getting the Luas the past 2 days has been fun. Getting to Heuston where the queue to get on a tram at 8:15 goes about 6 rows back and no-one can get in anyway since it is full already. Evening for me has been fine though, hasn't been any busier than usual.

I found a purse on the pavement last night, decided to do the good deed and take it to the Garda station, and the response was 'what do you want us to do with it, this isn't a lost and found box' >.<

acohrs

I found a purse on the pavement last night, decided to do the good deed and take it to the Garda station, and the response was 'what do you want us to do with it, this isn't a lost and found box' >.<

Really? I live in Dublin 8 and I lost my wallet on the street. I was resigned to never seeing it again and had already cancelled all my cards and got a new one. A few weeks later, out of the blue I get an email from BOI saying that the local garda had it. Went to the station and got it back after showing ID. They said someone had turned it in after finding it on the street.

I think I was pickpocketed as the cash was gone and it was just found on the street, but the garda did not know this when they took it in. I guess each Garda station just acts differently.

acohrs

English oppressors can feck off.

As an Englishman living in Ireland, I always found it funny how Americans perceive the whole Brits vs Irish feud. Nowadays, I never hear about it except from certain Dubs. Dubs are a funny lot though as they enjoy pretending to hate Britain but support Man United with a religious fanaticism.

Sorry for double posting

Really? I live in Dublin 8 and I lost my wallet on the street. I was resigned to never seeing it again and had already cancelled all my cards and got a new one. A few weeks later, out of the blue I get an email from CBI saying that the local garda had it. Went to the station and got it back after showing ID. They said someone had turned it in after finding it on the street.

I think I was pickpocketed as the cash was gone and it was just found on the street, but the garda did not know this when they took it in. I guess each Garda station just acts differently.

I'm also a Brit living in Ireland! Sup man.

Il take it back to the Garda station today, see if I get someone more helpful.

danthefan

As an Englishman living in Ireland, I always found it funny how Americans perceive the whole Brits vs Irish feud. Nowadays, I never hear about it except from certain Dubs. Dubs are a funny lot though as they enjoy pretending to hate Britain but support Man United with a religious fanaticism.

Sorry for double posting

NotoForeignGamesRSFstyle.jpg

acohrs

I'm also a Brit living in Ireland! Sup man.

Il take it back to the Garda station today, see if I get someone more helpful.

Cool, haha thought I was the only one except for this absolute English snob on the Dublin Talks 98fm show who everyone hates! Where in Ireland are you living?

haha just like this! It's incredible that you can walk into lifestylesports and all the football shirts for sale are foreign, no shamrock rovers or st pats athletic!

fuck da brits. brits out.

hey man, if irish people can freely move to london, it's ok for a londoner to move to ireland too!

hey man, if irish people can freely move to london, it's ok for a londoner to move to ireland too!
Well, Brexit fucked that for me so :p. Most of my friends are, I guess second generation, English actually. Fair few brits work in my building including one scouse lad who you can hear a mile away.

acohrs

Well, Brexit fucked that for me so :p. Most of my friends are, I guess second generation, English actually. Fair few brits work in my building including one scouse lad who you can hear a mile away.

TBH, the only place I'd live in Britain is London, although I'm a Londoner so I'm biased, but it's too expensive to live there now. So no need to move anyway!

But seriously, I think given Britain and Ireland's linked histories and the Common Travel Area act, I doubt that the Brits or Irish would want to fuck up their close relationship in any way. The EU may want to fuck it all up though to spite Brits and Irish for Brexit and the Apple tax ruling.

TBH, the only place I'd live in Britain is London, although I'm a Londoner so I'm biased, but it's too expensive to live there now. So no need to move anyway!

But seriously, I think given Britain and Ireland's linked histories and the Common Travel Area act, I doubt that the Brits or Irish would want to fuck up their close relationship in any way. The EU may want to fuck it all up though to spite Brits and Irish for Brexit and the Apple tax ruling.
Sure it'd too expensive to live here too! Rent is through the roof. Yeah I can see the EU trying to fuck everything up alright.

acohrs

Sure it'd too expensive to live here too! Rent is through the roof. Yeah I can see the EU trying to fuck everything up alright.

Yeah it's incredible how expensive it is compared to the quality of the flats. There was a joe.ie article about how big a queue was just for a viewing in Ranelagh. Went round the block!

I'm lucky that my Irish fiancee's parents have a house in Dublin that we live in. They live in their other house out by Ballynacargy, Westmeath.

We have a French lad atm who was interning at the last place we worked. He just came to do a Master's at TCD and had put down a deposit on a flat. Turns out it was a scam, so he lost his deposit and has to find somewhere else. He has orientation this week, so we're letting him stay in the spare room until he finds somewhere.

Yeah it's incredible how expensive it is compared to the quality of the flats. There was a joe.ie article about how big a queue was just for a viewing in Ranelagh. Went round the block!

I'm lucky that my Irish fiancee's parents have a house in Dublin that we live in. They live in their other house out by Ballynacargy, Westmeath.

We have a French lad atm who was interning at the last place we worked. He just came to do a Master's at TCD and had put down a deposit on a flat. Turns out it was a scam, so he lost his deposit and has to find somewhere else. He has orientation this week, so we're letting him stay in the spare room until he finds somewhere.

You're absolutely sorted then. I'm at my parents at the moment. Hopefully early next year it'll be easier.

Jesus that is shocking, well it's not that shocking actually. Some dodgy bastards out there, taking advantage of non Irish people.

acohrs

You're absolutely sorted then. I'm at my parents at the moment. Hopefully early next year it'll be easier.

Jesus that is shocking, well it's not that shocking actually. Some dodgy bastards out there, taking advantage of non Irish people.

Ah, but it's not just non Irish it's happening too. Government really needs to pull its finger out and realise the solution isn't rent control but more supply.

Cool, haha thought I was the only one except for this absolute English snob on the Dublin Talks 98fm show who everyone hates! Where in Ireland are you living?

haha just like this! It's incredible that you can walk into lifestylesports and all the football shirts for sale are foreign, no shamrock rovers or st pats athletic!

Dublin!

I believe the expression is 'west Brit' according to boards.ie

Miles X

I don't have much to contribute .. other than, a man with an irish accent (southern, I think?) automatically gains 2 points of sexiness. Ultimate accent!

acohrs

Dublin!

I believe the expression is 'west Brit' according to boards.ie

Geez this term is so relevant to describe George Hook! Used to commute to Kildare every day for work and listened to the Right Hook on NewstalkFM, I was amazed at what a British Empire sympathiser he was!

What part of Dublin do you live in?

Yen

Sorry for double posting
Significant parts of Dublin do wish they were Brits tbf

Yen

haha yeah just look at my last post(one above yours and at the same time too, what a coincidence!) for an example
D4, studied at Trinity, big rugby fans, Manchester United fans.
I'm hoping I just described Clegg there

acohrs

D4, studied at Trinity, big rugby fans, Manchester United fans.

Is the united love because of Roy Keane being Irish or just glory hunters?

Started going to watch St Pats play as I was missing live football and they're my local team (35 minute walk from where I live off Cork St). The quality of the football is shocking compared to the prem league (dad's a season ticket holder at Chelsea FC since the mid 90's) but it's so nice to be able to stand at a football match.

West Brit? Wouldje's fook off.

I'm a Pats fan actually, don't see them often cause they're the opposite side of the city to me.

I'm a Pats fan
and United
through family.

acohrs

West Brit? Wouldje's fook off.

I'm a Pats fan actually, don't see them often cause they're the opposite side of the city to me.

I'm a Pats fan
and United
through family.

You're not missing much, seen them win twice and lose quadruple. Still, it's a cure for my live football itch.

It's the league cup final this weekend, and Pats are playing Limerick down in Limerick. As much as I like Pats and live football, 2-3 hr car ride to watch it does not sound so appeasing...

Also, nothing wrong being a Utd fan. When you're irish, it feels like the only football teams you're "allowed" to support are Liverpool, Utd, and Celtic. Never seen another Chelsea fan over here since I moved in 2013

You're not missing much, seen them win 2 twice and lose quadruple. Still, it's a cure for my live football itch.

It's the league cup final this weekend, and Pats are playing Limerick down in Limerick. As much as I like Pats and live football, 2-3 hr car ride to watch it does not sound so appeasing...

Also, nothing wrong being a Utd fan. When you're irish, it feels like the only football teams you're "allowed" to support are Liverpool, Utd, and Celtic. Never seen another Chelsea fan over here since I moved in 2016

Yeah I like in an awkward enough area to get home to so it would be a two hour trek on the bus/train after Friday night games. Bit of a mess, really.

I've known a few, mostly after 2004. Know a number of Villa fans too, with the Birmingham connection I presume.

acohrs

Yeah I like in an awkward enough area to get home to so it would be a two hour trek on the bus/train after Friday night games. Bit of a mess, really.

I've known a few, mostly after 2004. Know a number of Villa fans too, with the Birmingham connection I presume.

Well if you feel like going then let me know, I drive so can drop you off somewhere convenient after the match. Sure, it'd be grand!

UCD

The rest is accurate.

TBF, your avatar's a bit of a giveaway!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Significant parts of Dublin do wish they were Brits tbf

What you're saying doesn't surprise me, we're talking about two islands with shared history, good and bad.

The British response to the Easter Rising in 1916 was horrific and a huge miscalculation. If it had been handled properly Ireland may have stayed in the UK. Support for independence in Ireland had cooled off a lot after Catholic emancipation in 1823. The Irish Home Rule Act of 1914, which was passed by the House of Commons overriding the House of Lords, should have gotten the final go ahead, WWI (which delayed it) be damned.

And yes, you guys are numerous enough that you would have stopped Brexit.

Well if you feel like going then let me know, I drive so can drop you off somewhere convenient after the match. Sure, it'd be grand!

TBF, your avatar's a bit of a giveaway!
Cheers, I'll keep that in mind. The best part about being a Pats fan is when I wear a jersey (not this year's mind you) and get asked why is there a tricolour on my Arsenal jersey!

Clegg

It's Thursday Friday I thought? Then Friday Saturday next week.

Basically gives me a half day in work so I'm not complaining now

Sorry it's from 9pm Wednesday. So that bit of the evening then Thursday and Friday.

And with the Uni students back in for their first week (at least UCD is) things will be extra chaotic on the roads. I pity the Freshers.

acohrs

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind. The best part about being a Pats fan is when I wear a jersey (not this year's mind you) and get asked why is there a tricolour on my Arsenal jersey!

haha yeah I know what you mean, as a chelsea fan I had mixed feelings at the beginning before deciding to follow the Pats because of the kit colours.

Warrenmount! Heard lovely things about Malahide, I don't drink but I hear the pubs do a ferocious sunday roast and weekday carvery up there.

Edit: not very good at this not double posting thing, sorry all!

They do indeed.

It's humid as fuck here. Dying like. I walked up to that college where all the spanish students go to hand that purse in, sweating like a pig.

acohrs

They do indeed.

It's humid as fuck here. Dying like. I walked up to that college where all the spanish students go to hand that purse in, sweating like a pig.

The office was as warm as the depths of hell today. Awful stuff, really.

Working as a contractor for the Central Bank atm, used to get a Diceys €6.25 carvery every day for lunch. Stopped getting it over the Summer as because of the heat, I would be struggling to stay awake for the rest of the day. The quantity for the value there is incredible.

I don't have much to contribute .. other than, a man with an irish accent (southern, I think?) automatically gains 2 points of sexiness. Ultimate accent!

This is very vague LOL. You could be talking about anything from a whesht Kerry to a south Tipp accent with varying degrees of comprehensibility along the way.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
WOOO! ONE THOUSANDTH POST OF THIS THREAD! I AM THE IRISH POSTER OF THIS FORUM!

Is it me or is this thread a bit too Dublin centric?

Top Bottom