• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

I think if you live in Ireland, chances are you prefer the cold. Those in the office that look at me funnily when I say that, I just think if you liked warmth and sunny, you would have moved somewhere else a while ago.

Also, went into my local gamestop to check out Yo Kai Watch. 45 fecking yuros!! Checked other 3ds games. Monster Hunter generations on 3ds is 55 yuros! Since when did 3ds games cost as much as some console games or is that an Irish gamestop thing?

GameStop are rip off merchants.

acohrs

im a warm weather irish man.

How do you survive Spring, Autumn, and Winter then? For me, there is nothing better than a briquette fire and a cuppa tea on a cold day.

Also, I guess the high 3DS prices make sense now that I think about it, they only release a worthwhile 3DS game every few months so 50 yuro / 3 months < the price you'd pay every month for games on a PS4 or XB1. So, really nintendo is helping us to save money by not having loadsa games :p

GUYS, we're now a community! Someone pull out a tin of celebrations!

lazymanschair

Neo Member
or TK red lemonade

Just noticed this irishgaf thread, thought I'd jump in,

I also rather the cold, I'm not built for hot weather at all, I suspect it'll be a few more weeks of these random sunny days.

Yeah Nintendo prices in general are outrageous, They don't tend to devalue over time either, I always assumed it was Gamestop taking advantage of a large section of the market being non-savvy parents buying for kids, and not questioning the pricing. I find CEX more reasonable for pre-owned stuff, but I'm still waiting for a decent price on Mario Maker.

acohrs

or TK red lemonade

Just noticed this irishgaf thread, thought I'd jump in,

I also rather the cold, I'm not built for hot weather at all, I suspect it'll be a few more weeks of these random sunny days.

Yeah Nintendo prices in general are outrageous, They don't tend to devalue over time either, I always assumed it was Gamestop taking advantage of a large section of the market being non-savvy parents buying for kids, and not questioning the pricing. I find CEX more reasonable for pre-owned stuff, but I'm still waiting for a decent price on Mario Maker.

Never been into CEX, but might go during lunchtime. Anyone else into RAGE (Record Art Game Emporium on Fade St), their selection is incredible for retro games, esp on Nintendo handhelds. Got Advance Wars there for 5 yuro!

Edit: Sorry forgot to say Howya mate? Welcome aboard!

lazymanschair

Neo Member
Edit: Sorry forgot to say Howya mate? Welcome aboard!

Cheers for that!

I find Rage quite expensive on some items, ebay/amazon is still probably a cheaper alternative, but the staff are really helpful and friendly and I've bought a few gamecube games from them, so I'd still recommend a visit.

acohrs

Cheers for that!

I find Rage quite expensive on some items, ebay/amazon is still probably a cheaper alternative, but the staff are really helpful and friendly and I've bought a few gamecube games from them, so I'd still recommend a visit.

If I'm mooching in town, I love to go in to size? and Rage. Love just seeing what game selections they have, as well as chatting with the staff to see what rare games they have sold or are getting. Don't buy too much though, there's cheaper places to buy used GB, GBA, and DS games (see edit: lukie games online).

acohrs

I think I'm gonna go the march aye.

Cool, let us know how it goes! I know not everyone agrees with the movement but I think they're doing a great thing for the country.

Speaking of positive justice movements, fiancee and I are going to hear the Making a Murderer lawyers at vicar st tonight. They're off to Galway tomorrow. Anyone else seen them or going to go see them?

Managed to get to the Half Marathon in phoenix park this morning despite rain and lack of Dublin bus basically doubling my travel time.

Got a big fat DNF because my friend went unwell over half way through it and I guess leaving him to alone to pass out & vomit would have been a dick move.

Phoenix park seems nice though. Havent been in years.

acohrs

Managed to get to the Half Marathon in phoenix park this morning despite rain and lack of Dublin bus basically doubling my travel time.

Got a big fat DNF because my friend went unwell over half way through it and I guess leaving him to alone to pass out & vomit would have been a dick move.

Phoenix park seems nice though. Havent been in years.

Didn't know there was a half marathon on today, did a lot of people turn up?

Flying to Dublin tonight and traveling around Ireland for two weeks. Give me some good advice Irish GAF! What to check out. What to avoid...etc.

Some great things to see/do in no particular order:
  • Book of Kells
  • Guinness warehouse
  • Glendalough
  • Wicklow Way
  • Tea and scones!

Didn't know there was a half marathon on today, did a lot of people turn up?

Seemed OK but I got the impression a decent chunk didnt show.

I still want to do a half before the end of the year so I guess I need to look that up some up at some point.

Maybe to the full Belfast Marathon in May? Might as well set a goal.

acohrs

Seemed OK but I got the impression a decent chunk didnt show.

I still want to do a half before the end of the year so I guess I need to look that up some up at some point.

Maybe to the full Belfast Marathon in May? Might as well set a goal.

Yeah, not the best weather for a run yesterday, and there was the march and the bus strike so I'm sure a lot of people just didn't want to...

acohrs

link

Interesting article I read today in the IT. Why do some of Ireland's institutions still use the word 'Royal' in the title. The article only speculates and doesn't give an answer, but what do you lads ans lasses think?

Podge293

link

Interesting article I read today in the IT. Why do some of Ireland's institutions still use the word 'Royal' in the title. The article only speculates and doesn't give an answer, but what do you lads ans lasses think?

More pain to change than not I'd say. Also she makes reference to the 1916, didn't get independence for a few years after. And then the country was in the midst of a civil war so was probably last thing on their mind. When it did come time, they were probably thinking "better to have than not to have"

Also most of them have a long long history of being called the names they are. No need to rock the boat when it's not that major a concern.

That's my view anyways

Clegg

Flying to Dublin tonight and traveling around Ireland for two weeks. Give me some good advice Irish GAF! What to check out. What to avoid...etc.

You've been told to avoid Temple Bar and I'd generally agree. It's a tourist trap with jacked up prices. But you should go to the Porterhouse if you're around that area. Good food and excellent beer. There's also a Porterhouse on Nassau Street opposite Trinity College if you want to try that one.

acohrs

It's not exactly a strike. It's mass sick leave which is technically legal.

Mass sick leave? So, say they don't have written medical written confirmation that proves they were ill that day, could they get in trouble?

The article mentions that the Gardai had another 'strike' in the 98 ('Blue Flu Day') and the public won't supposedly side with them this time because of that strike. Did a lot of bad stuff happen then? I imagine the rate of petty crime went up, but did any serious stuff happen too?

Mass sick leave? So, say they don't have written medical written confirmation that proves they were ill that day, could they get in trouble?

The article mentions that the Gardai had another 'strike' in the 98 ('Blue Flu Day') and the public won't supposedly side with them this time because of that strike. Did a lot of bad stuff happen then? I imagine the rate of petty crime went up, but did any serious stuff happen too?

My guess is they'll draft in the army/civil defense to cover for the Gardaí. Incidentally I was talking to the old man who said when the bus strikes in the 80's went on for weeks, the army was drafted in to drive the bus routes, so people were going to work on the back of army trucks.

Yay, more strikes! There are no Gardai in my town anyway since the station was closed during the start of the recession, so it won't make any difference. Fucking government.

I bet the Taxi driver union will be next after they see how much the Luas and Dublin Bus crowd are getting.

acohrs

Yay, more strikes! There are no Gardai in my town anyway since the station was closed during the start of the recession, so it won't make any difference. Fucking government.

I bet the Taxi driver union will be next after they see how much the Luas and Dublin Bus crowd are getting.

Taxi driver prices are already outrageous and the service is even worse than Dublin bus.

My money is on Irish Rail, if the LUAS and Bus drivers get pay rises, the railworkers will be ballistic. It's fair enough, with all the talk of Ireland exiting bailout and the economy strengthening, the workers should benefit too and get some raises, at least in line with how much inflation there's been since their last pay rise or decrease.

EDIT: OnlyOne, which Tesco is having this game sale?

My guess is they'll draft in the army/civil defense to cover for the Gardaí. Incidentally I was talking to the old man who said when the bus strikes in the 80's went on for weeks, the army was drafted in to drive the bus routes, so people were going to work on the back of army trucks.

From reading some articles, the last Blue Flue Day Gardai sergeants themselves weren't striking. This time it will be nearly all levels of the force that will strike, so it will be worse than '98. The army will cover sure so I doubt it will be anarchy in the streets though, probably just lots of nicked copies of FIFA and snickers

My money is on Irish Rail, if the LUAS and Bus drivers get pay rises, the railworkers will be ballistic. It's fair enough, with all the talk of Ireland exiting bailout and the economy strengthening, the workers should benefit too and get some raises, at least in line with how much inflation there's been since their last pay rise or decrease.

EDIT: OnlyOne, which Tesco is having this game sale?

From reading some articles, the last Blue Flue Day Gardai sergeants themselves weren't striking. This time it will be nearly all levels of the force that will strike, so it will be worse than '98. The army will cover sure so I doubt it will be anarchy in the streets though, probably just lots of nicked copies of FIFA and snickers

All of them. 5 for 10 on DVD's/Blu rays as well.

14494880_593587357490999_8613422668674224118_n.jpg

Boo.

NateDog

I was in the Tallaght one but there was no such sign weirdly enough but everywhere else seemed to state it was off. Saw a few decent titles but not much I'd go for right now. Zelda ALBW 3DS maybe, also heard Mario Strikers is good.

Had no idea this was a community thread, no wonder I saw no updates on the main OT section.

Edit: Meant to say Golden Discs are taking over the music + DVD section in Tesco, that's the reason for this sale. HMV were meant to but since they went bust it fell to GD.

Top Bottom