• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Lucreto

That God that finished for another year.

Maybe it's time to split the Dublin team into two. They have a far bigger pool of talent to choose from than say Mayo and other counties.

14568220_594705614045840_2546884869557189411_n.jpg

Tesco swag. And a 180 quid profit.

What do you guys (born and raised in Ireland) think about the Irish Passport by descendent rules?

I'm a Brit - my grandad was born in Dublin, my dad born in Belfast. I've never really had much to do with Ireland other than the knowledge that my dad and grandad were born there, and being raised Catholic - knowing a lot of Irish priests and a few Irish people in the UK.
- after this EU referendum debacle I looked into getting an Irish passport. It's insanely easy.

I applied about two weeks ago via the parent route (the definition of Ireland is the island of Ireland, so NI counts). My card got charged the €80 today so I assume I basically qualified and it's going through for all the checking.

I've been doing a lot of googling and discovered I'm known as a 'plastic', and some people really hate it. I get why it's annoying... I understand the parent route, I know people here who've got British Passports via the parent route - cost them £1,000+ but it's straightforward if you have the cash.

But the grandparent route seems kind of extreme/distant - the parent route also seems way too easy - automatically a citizen and just pay €80 for a passport then you're done.
(additionally I had to get my (dead) dad's birth and death certificates from the NI records office and the UK register of births, deaths and marriages - cost about £25.)
But my total costs are around £95 and I'm a citizen of a country I've only been to once and I have a passport.

I'm doing this for my kids (that I don't have yet), I don't want them to be stuck in this increasingly xenophobic and inward looking hole that is the UK - I want them to be able to travel and study and work wherever they want. - I am going to make an effort to visit Ireland and actually partake in some way.

In summary, I kind of think it's wrong that I'm allowed to do this, but my un-conceived children's future comes before that - I was wondering, what do actual Irish people think?

When I went the only games they had in my Tesco where a dozen copies of Halo Reach, some random snooker game for 360 and licenced kids show DS stuff.

And lots of copies of Man of Steel on DVD and random Top Gear DVDs

redlemon

In summary, I kind of think it's wrong that I'm allowed to do this, but my un-conceived children's future comes before that - I was wondering, what do actual Irish people think?

I don't really care. The rules are easy for the specific purpose of what you've done. The whole plastic paddy thing I always associated more with American tourists, which I also don't care about as long as there spending money.

acohrs

What do you guys (born and raised in Ireland) think about the Irish Passport by descendent rules?

I'm a Brit - my grandad was born in Dublin, my dad born in Belfast. I've never really had much to do with Ireland other than the knowledge that my dad and grandad were born there, and being raised Catholic - knowing a lot of Irish priests and a few Irish people in the UK.
- after this EU referendum debacle I looked into getting an Irish passport. It's insanely easy.

I applied about two weeks ago via the parent route (the definition of Ireland is the island of Ireland, so NI counts). My card got charged the €80 today so I assume I basically qualified and it's going through for all the checking.

I've been doing a lot of googling and discovered I'm known as a 'plastic', and some people really hate it. I get why it's annoying... I understand the parent route, I know people here who've got British Passports via the parent route - cost them £1,000+ but it's straightforward if you have the cash.

But the grandparent route seems kind of extreme/distant - the parent route also seems way too easy - automatically a citizen and just pay €80 for a passport then you're done.
(additionally I had to get my (dead) dad's birth and death certificates from the NI records office and the UK register of births, deaths and marriages - cost about £25.)
But my total costs are around £95 and I'm a citizen of a country I've only been to once and I have a passport.

I'm doing this for my kids (that I don't have yet), I don't want them to be stuck in this increasingly xenophobic and inward looking hole that is the UK - I want them to be able to travel and study and work wherever they want. - I am going to make an effort to visit Ireland and actually partake in some way.

I don't know what real 'Irish' people think but as a Brit who has moved over to live here, I don't think there will be a problem. Granted there's always a minority element of xenophobic idiots, but Britain has no right to accuse anyone else of that at the moment.

If anything as an ex-Brit and Londoner, I think Ireland is a warmer and more empathetic place. It takes longer for people to warm to you here I've observed, but when they accept you, by God they really accept you and treat you better than their own families.

Looking forward to 2018, when I will have lived in Ireland for five years consecutively, which entitles me to apply for citizenship!

that's a haul and a half! You sell them to CEX for that profit?
I sold the other stuff to cex for profit. That's the stuff I got to keep + profit.

Ireland's fine I guess. As a Brit whose been here for 7 years though, I'm eagerly awaiting my return to Liverpool, soon as possible. Aspects of Ireland and the Irish just don't agree with me.

If anything, you'd be foolish not to take advantage of this. This is me speaking as someone who's Irish born and has a US passport through my Grandfather.

Lucreto

I am fine with people getting an Irish passport if they are from North Ireland or the UK if they plan on taking advantage of it like living or working in Ireland.

What gets my goat with Brexit are people who voted to leave but then claim a Irish passport just to keep their EU benefits. It's having your cake and eating it too.

acohrs

I sold the other stuff to cex for profit. That's the stuff I got to keep + profit.

Ireland's fine I guess. As a Brit whose been here for 7 years though, I'm eagerly awaiting my return to Liverpool, soon as possible. Aspects of Ireland and the Irish just don't agree with me.

Cool beans, local tesco for me didn't have too much (Terenure).

Any reason you want to leave Ireland? Just curious as someone who went the other way.

Cool beans, local tesco for me didn't have too much (Terenure).

Any reason you want to leave Ireland? Just curious as someone who went the other way.

I hate it. I hate almost everything about it at this point, thoroughly sick of it. Although I'd find it hard to articulate without probably offended people, so I won't.

acohrs

I hate it. I hate almost everything about it at this point, thoroughly sick of it. Although I'd find it hard to articulate without probably offended people, so I won't.

No worries man, that's understandable. As somebody who doesn't drink, if I didn't have my dogs and fiancee, I would have returned to London. I love my fiancee's family and our few friends, but some of the rest... Telling people you don't drink was so annoying that I just found new hobbies that weren't based in pubs.

PowerTaxi

Banned
No worries man, that's understandable. As somebody who doesn't drink, if I didn't have my dogs and fiancee, I would have returned to London. I love my fiancee's family and our few friends, but some of the rest... Telling people you don't drink was so annoying that I just found new hobbies that weren't based in pubs.

I drink but I still twitch every time I hear people being asked why they don't. Some people just can't seem to grasp the fact that others don't want to drink alcohol.

What gets my goat with Brexit are people who voted to leave but then claim a Irish passport just to keep their EU benefits. It's having your cake and eating it too.

Paisley? - what a knob. But yeah, that's seriously stupid. I think most of the people who voted to leave probably don't even have a British Passport let alone a second one though.

I was really surprised at how easy it was - my fiancee's mum is Dutch and they make you give up your original nationality (you can't be dual) apart from in a select few circumstances - one being if just your mum is Dutch but your dad is another nationality. - She actually falls in to this category as her mum is Dutch but her dad is British. But it's so complicated and they make you go to a ceremony in Holland and all sorts (you also have to pay, at/for each stage)

Since we're/I'm doing this mainly for my future kids - I'm not sure if she could be passed on down the line - although technically their mum would be Dutch and their dad British/Irish. I think he being dual would stop that? You need to hire a lawyer just to figure it out, and that's not even taking the language barrier into account.

With Ireland I basically just fill in an online form when they're born.

acohrs

I drink but I still twitch every time I hear people being asked why they don't. Some people just can't seem to grasp the fact that others don't want to drink alcohol.

I don't mind so much now, the only time I go out with people who want to drink is for work when the whole team or office is going for a special occasion. Even then, I will only go for an hour and get a Red Bull (sugar seems like a semi-accepted replacement for alcohol, idk why) then slip out but saying goodbye to all first. Want to be seen to be a team player so I go but leave early to make it less awkward for them and me

NateDog

I used to find this annoying but find it more funny these days as I watch the inside of someone's head nearly implode as they try and contemplate how someone could choose to live a life without something as unimportant as alcohol.

Also I agree with OnlyOne, I'm sick of a lot of aspects of Ireland and even my GF who is more of a homebird than anyone else I've ever met isn't digging this country much lately. Perhaps that's my cynicism taking a toll on her though. There's a lot of xenophobia here too except it can be hidden well, but I see it most weeks in small or big ways as someone that physically doesn't fit in to the majority. How many times I've been asked by complete strangers "where are you from?" and I get a befuddled look when I reply with the name of somewhere local instead of the answer that they want (which is somewhere foreign) as they look me up and down to try and figure me out. Then there's the normalcy of people sticking to groups rather than mixing with people outside of that. But I rarely blame those people for that as I think they're rarely welcomed into the general populace as they ought to be. Happens in most places but it's obvious to me every single day here.

acohrs

I used to find this annoying but find it more funny these days as I watch the inside of someone's head nearly implode as they try and contemplate how someone could choose to live a life without something as unimportant as alcohol.

Also I agree with OnlyOne, I'm sick of a lot of aspects of Ireland and even my GF who is more of a homebird than anyone else I've ever met isn't digging this country much lately. Perhaps that's my cynicism taking a toll on her though. There's a lot of xenophobia here too except it can be hidden well, but I see it most weeks in small or big ways as someone that physically doesn't fit in to the majority. How many times I've been asked by complete strangers "where are you from?" and I get a befuddled look when I reply with the name of somewhere local instead of the answer that they want (which is somewhere foreign) as they look me up and down to try and figure me out. Then there's the normalcy of people sticking to groups rather than mixing with people outside of that. But I rarely blame those people for that as I think they're rarely welcomed into the general populace as they ought to be. Happens in most places but it's obvious to me every single day here.

Sucks that you feel that way mate, it's disgraceful to make anyone feel like they don't belong because they don't look similar enough. Where are you living where that's happening?

The negativity in Ireland and just the grey like.. bleakness of it, it honestly gets me down for one. I'm generalising of course cos its not the UK is some colourful paradise and every part of Ireland is so awful, but the endless negativity and cynicism it wrecks me at this point, I'm sick of it, and the small mindedness, and the under the surface xenophobia/racism (again, not everyone does this, its minority, but it still sticks out) Dublin in particular is so grey and miserable its bringing me down at this point.

And yes not drinking is treated like some awful crime and basically blocks you off from a lot of social activities.

acohrs

The negativity in Ireland and just the grey like.. bleakness of it, it honestly gets me down for one. I'm generalising of course cos its not the UK is some colourful paradise and every part of Ireland is so awful, but the endless negativity and cynicism it wrecks me at this point, I'm sick of it, and the small mindedness, and the under the surface xenophobia/racism (again, not everyone does this, its minority, but it still sticks out) Dublin in particular is so grey and miserable its bringing me down at this point.

And yes not drinking is treated like some awful crime and basically blocks you off from a lot of social activities.

I can understand all that, although I've only been here a few years. Shows like Father Ted and Moone Boy definitely poke fun at the negative Irish attitude. I think that old negative Irish way of thinking is changing though now that Ireland's economic situation stabilises. With the economic stability and low tax rate, jobs are being created by the US pharma and tech companies, which in turn is bringing back a lot of Irish emigrants, who from their time abroad now want to make Ireland more positive and international. Just my views though.

NateDog

Sucks that you feel that way mate, it's disgraceful to make anyone feel like they don't belong because they don't look similar enough. Where are you living where that's happening?
I'm on the southside (near Tallaght) but have it enough in other areas like the city centre and even places like Dundrum or Pantry whenever there, although this area naturally is worse. I'm fine though, it's people that are real foreigners that want a community and place to fit in with that I feel sorry for. Funnily enough I think the movie Brooklyn shows a lot of the negative attitudes and issues with views and motives in Ireland (overall, won't count for everyone of course).

acohrs

I'm on the southside (near Tallaght) but have it enough in other areas like the city centre and even places like Dundrum or Pantry whenever there, although this area naturally is worse. I'm fine though, it's people that are real foreigners that want a community and place to fit in with that I feel sorry for. Funnily enough I think the movie Brooklyn shows a lot of the negative attitudes and issues with views and motives in Ireland (overall, won't count for everyone of course).

As some of the few sober dubliners in existence, we should all hang out and do fun sober stuff like hiking the Wicklow Way, or fun night-in playing Smash Bros/watching Fater Ted and ordering a pepperoni wagonwheel pizza from Mizzonis!

I guess since I don't go out much and am lucky that my fiancee's family are so inclusive, I haven't been as exposed to the negativity and xenophobia that you and the OnlyOne have seen. I can only really judge based on what I see at work, but it's a very inclusive and European workforce as it's a tech company, so maybe not a great representation.

NateDog

As some of the few sober dubliners in existence, we should all hang out and do fun sober stuff like hiking the Wicklow Way, or fun night-in playing Smash Bros/watching Fater Ted and ordering a pepperoni wagonwheel pizza from Mizzonis!
I might have to get a cheese from Mizzonis since I'm a veggie but Smash and Father Ted sounds good to me! Also damn now I'm hungry, my stomach has been tormented the past week by what I presume is a gastric flu so I've barely eaten, just toast and crackers because it's going over the edge otherwise. In fact I haven't drank or eaten a single thing since yesterday evening and I just finished a 10hr shift.

acohrs

I might have to get a cheese from Mizzonis since I'm a veggie but Smash and Father Ted sounds good to me! Also damn now I'm hungry, my stomach has been tormented the past week by what I presume is a gastric flu so I've barely eaten, just toast and crackers because it's going over the edge otherwise. In fact I haven't drank or eaten a single thing since yesterday evening and I just finished a 10hr shift.

I have a big enough TV and a PS4, happy to have anyone around to watch Father Ted with me at anytime! Haha nobody I know wants to watch it as they claim they've seen every single episode too many times. I think that's bollocks but anyway. Let's set a date say in a few weeks and see who we can get to come! Don't mind getting a margherita wagonwheel as long as it comes with cheesy garlic chips too!!

acohrs

That sounds fun, we should all socialise :D

Also I can't remember who was asking a while ago, but Gamestop has those steelbooks for Pokemon Sun & Moon for pre order.

Yeah, looking forward to it! BTW I just remembered I don't have a gamecube or Smash in IRE, but I do have a PS3 and Playstation All Star Battle Royale Deathmatch Funtime. Just as good, right lads?

acohrs

We can pretend PlayStation all stars is some hip alternative to melee?

my heart was in the right place but I doubt anyone ever said 'Man I'm so hyped to play some Playstation All Stars this weekend with friends!'. Not to worry, I'm sure someone else has a gamecube or wii that we could use, otherwise, I have great multiplayer games like Tekken Tag 2, Dragon's Crown, Diablo 3, and some FPS or FIFA game.

NateDog

my heart was in the right place but I doubt anyone ever said 'Man I'm so hyped to play some Playstation All Stars this weekend with friends!'. Not to worry, I'm sure someone else has a gamecube or wii that we could use, otherwise, I have great multiplayer games like Tekken Tag 2, Dragon's Crown, Diablo 3, and some FPS or FIFA game.
I'll bring my Smash 4 OST, we can just pretend.
Jaysis I get back after a week and we're all hating Ireland.

only reason I haven't left is I met someone.
Hah I was kind of the same, I was die to do a Postgraduate in Cardiff (even got a scholarship, don't know how) but I met my now girlfriend that summer and as I was already worrying I couldn't go there as I didn't have enough to set myself up for the first few months, so it made sense. She had to give up heading to Galway for 3-4 years though so it wasn't just me, although I feel like for her academic sake Galway would have been better for her.

acohrs

Woah, this thread has taken a turn since I last visited. :/

Not that surprising when you think about it. Using just numbers, the Rep. Ireland is a country with 4.5m roughly, whereas there's around 80+m people of Irish ancestry all over the world. Lot of Irish have been leaving for a few centuries now!

Top Bottom