• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Podge293

I've had no issues with Amazon. Got the stuff in like 3/4 days.

Parcel motel are busy as hell tho. Super slow.

Actually had a bus in celbridge with a load of packages cuz they hadn't room in the machine

NateDog

Christmas shoppers are a pain in the arse. Take your time inside the shops sure, but learn to bloody walk outside of them. You'd swear the majority of people around couldn't walk in a straight line if the street was empty and they were directed. Groups of people just standing in W shapes in the way of pedestrian areas, other people swaying left and right while walking. Even saw a guy just standing in the middle of a road on his phone looking puzzled when the cars beeped at him, but he wasn't puzzled at why they were doing it since he never looked at them.

Did all my shopping online this year due to my wife breaking her leg a few weeks ago and physically not being able to shop in Cork City.

Clouds and silver linings etc.

Not that Cork is anywhere near as manic as Dublin this time of year.

I did a bit of Christmas shopping after work on Friday in Waterford. It wasn't too bad, apart from Argos which was absolutely manic.

Still have a lot to do, unfortunately. But at least my siblings just said "We already bought presents for you to give the kids, just pay us." so that helps a good bit.

The pound being so weak at the moment is a blessing, specially for new games. Get the last guardian delivered for 54 euro.

Had a brick thrown at the bus on the way home this afternoon, lucky no one was sitting in that seat next to the window it smashed.

NateDog

Got mine for €51 from thegamecollection.

€70 in Gamestop, they're having a fucking laugh.
Weirdly enough despite the good conversion rate it was still cheaper to get the CE at GameStop than Amazon. Good thing too since I know a few people had their Amazon copies delivered in a dreadful state.

Gonna give parcel motel a go finally.

Some xmas present ideas from amazon dont deliver to the republic.

Curious how it will all work out.

And yes video game prices in this country are a laugh. Since XtraVision died and NuHMV came back and sucked (and then died again) I couldn't remember the last time I bought a game retail here and not off amazon.

Actually I think I tried to order the Uncharted 4 slightly more expensive version that came with a art book and stickers or something from GameStops website and the day before release they emailed me saying they ran out of stock of that edition and couldnt fill my order so they offered me a discount on the standard version and free postage.

Lucreto

I buy all my games off Amazon, even before the Brexit Crash it was cheaper.

Smyths are usually better priced if you want local but that's it.

I miss xtravision and renting movies. If I want to watch a movie now I have to buy it.

I miss xtravision and renting movies. If I want to watch a movie now I have to but it.

One of the supermarkets where I live has an Xtravision-themed Redbox-type thing. I haven't used it but it seems simple enough. They recently added Blu-Rays so I might rent a few films over the break.

Lucreto

One of the supermarkets where I live has an Xtravision-themed Redbox-type thing. I haven't used it but it seems simple enough. They recently added Blu-Rays so I might rent a few films over the break.

Yes I know of those. Very limited selection and for me in a very poor location. There is no free parking nearby and the warden seems to be hiding nearby at all times.

I was in Heatons this evening and a woman was complaining about the prices. Since they have pounds and Euros stickers on all the products she was complaining they should lower the prices because of the exchange rate has changed dramatically. Some people don't have a clue about how all this works.

Gonna give parcel motel a go finally.

Some xmas present ideas from amazon dont deliver to the republic.

Curious how it will all work out.

And yes video game prices in this country are a laugh. Since XtraVision died and NuHMV came back and sucked (and then died again) I couldn't remember the last time I bought a game retail here and not off amazon.

Actually I think I tried to order the Uncharted 4 slightly more expensive version that came with a art book and stickers or something from GameStops website and the day before release they emailed me saying they ran out of stock of that edition and couldnt fill my order so they offered me a discount on the standard version and free postage.

They're real slow over christmas. I know it says up to 2 days on their emails, but its slower than that.

WolfeTone

This article from the Herald (which I saw on reddit) on Dublin housing density is quite interesting: http://www.herald.ie/news/we-must-b...opulation-nears-two-million-leo-35295495.html

Article is basically quoting Varadkar on the need for higher density in the Dublin core. More high rises etc. Also touches on the need for a directly elected Dublin mayor.

Leo Varadkar is again impressing me with his thoughts here. In general I feel like he expresses good ideas in interviews but we haven't seen him achieve very much in government. I'd love to see him lead FG at some point in the future where he could likely have more influence on actual policy. Hopefully the idea of a half-Indian, gay man as a party leader would not be an issue for the electorate.

I'm not sure Varadkar can achieve much of that housing plan when Dublin City council have these ridiculous storey limits. Is there another European capital that is as low and spread out as Dublin?

acohrs

I'm not sure Varadkar can achieve much of that housing plan when Dublin City council have these ridiculous storey limits. Is there another European capital that is as low and spread out as Dublin?

London, although it's not built by the sea so could spread in more directions.

WolfeTone

I think that's what he's advocating for. Elimination or relaxation of those story limits. New authority in the hands of an empowered Dublin mayor to take control of the city council and allow high rises to be built.

acohrs

I think that's what he's advocating for. Elimination or relaxation of those story limits. New authority in the hands of an empowered Dublin mayor to take control of the city council and allow high rises to be built.

way too much progress at one time for Ireland, needs to be stretched over decades otherwise the auld wans will complain

PowerTaxi

Banned
What is the point of Prime Video? Was gonna use the free trial to watch The Man In The High Castle season 2 but it's not there. That was a waste.

acohrs

What is the point of Prime Video? Was gonna use the free trial to watch The Man In The High Castle season 2 but it's not there. That was a waste.

Wasn't it? tried watching on my PS3 but the audio isn't working with my monitor so back to netflix until I can figure out how to change audio settings in amazon prime video

acohrs

Picked up a used PS vita slim for 130 yoyos today at CEX. This thing is amazing! Can play most of my PS3 and PS4 games whilst the fiancee uses the TV. Where has this magical device been all my life!

NateDog

Picked up a used PS vita slim for 130 yoyos today at CEX. This thing is amazing! Can play most of my PS3 and PS4 games whilst the fiancee uses the TV. Where has this magical device been all my life!
The Vita has always been a really good system, such a shame it was left to die from the start.

acohrs

The Vita has always been a really good system, such a shame it was left to die from the start.

Nah, plenty of good games, looking to get Valkyria Chronicles and some other games and remote play them on my vita. Never allowed to use the telly for the PS3 or 4 so looking forward to getting some gaming in haha

Alanood

allow me being random, I just wanted to say that I really love the irish accent and hoped I'd adapt it when I started learning english, but oh well...

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I got an invite over the weekend to the Irish Premiere of Assassin's Creed in Dublin and I have a spare ticket if anyone wants it.

The screening is at the Savoy in O'Connell St at 7pm.

I usually just get a single ticket but since they sent me two I figured, why not ask someone from GAF if they want to go.

If you're interested, drop me a PM and I'll pick someone at random at around 8pm this evening.

Top Bottom