• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Why does Dublin City centre always look and sound so horrible? Why is it so horrible in fact? Puts me off going into town these days, I just stick around Malahide or Swords.

I just think its not a very nice looking city. Its way to cramped with not enough wide streets.

O'Connell Street could be nice if the druggys didn't take it over and if it had anything on it worth a damn to go into.

At least it is no Dun Laoghaire though. Now thats a depressing hole of a town.

acohrs

Exception to the rule innit.

Yeah I know what you mean. Sure, all cities have undesirables. What passes me off the most is the dumping. That's disgusting and those that do it should be shot. Why not drink one less pint each night so you can afford flecking weekly collection service or the 15 euro dump fee. Just lazy and selfish

Paid off my switch yesterday. Didn't feel great spending that amount of money but sure fuck it Splatoon is just around the corner. Had to pre order a pro controller as they rang me earlier in the day to say they were nearly out of stock.

Paid off my switch yesterday. Didn't feel great spending that amount of money but sure fuck it Splatoon is just around the corner. Had to pre order a pro controller as they rang me earlier in the day to say they were nearly out of stock.

Yeah, mine called an hour ago to say that they've been shorted on stock for everything, and now all items are pre-order only. I have the console and Zelda and I think that'll do me for now.

Goddamnit, Nintendo.

Yeah, mine called an hour ago to say that they've been shorted on stock for everything, and now all items are pre-order only. I have the console and Zelda and I think that'll do me for now.

Goddamnit, Nintendo.
I'm thinking Zelda, the console and a pro controller. But I'm not 100% sold on the pro controller. I regret not getting the Wii U Pro controller when I got the system though.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
URGH! Having to hear about Trump for the past year and a half is doing my head in...and it's only going to continue, especially the most recent executive order he put out.

acohrs

URGH! Having to hear about Trump for the past year and a half is doing my head in...and it's only going to continue, especially the most recent executive order he put out.

Why was there a march here again to protest Trump? Do people forget that there's not much we can do about him here?

Clegg

Missed the convo about the city from.a few days ago. I actually think Dublin is a lovely city, especially at night. Stand on one of the bridges and look towards the docklands. It's a very pretty sight when it's lit up.

Why was there a march here again to protest Trump? Do people forget that there's not much we can do about him here?

I was at the march last week. Can we here not voice our displeasure by the most powerful country in the world electing a tyrant who's racist, anti-woman and a rather disgusting man?There were thousands at the march last week, the right to protest is a great thing we can do openly here without recrimination. Why not use it.

Lucreto

Trump doesn't care about any of these protests, he see them as fake news by liberal media.

If you want to hurt him you need to do it financially. A permanent picket outside his Doonbeg hotel and flooding the TripAdvisor with negative comments and pictures of the protests.

Trump doesn't care about any of these protests, he see them as fake news by liberal media.

If you want to hurt him you need to do it financially. A permanent picket outside his Doonbeg hotel and flooding the TripAdvisor with negative comments and pictures of the protests.

I'll agree to disagree with you I guess.

Nerdkiller

Membeur

Oh, he does care a lot. Especially in the sense that more people protested in DC than attended his inauguration the day prior.

acohrs

I was at the march last week. Can we here not voice our displeasure by the most powerful country in the world electing a tyrant who's racist, anti-woman and a rather disgusting man?There were thousands at the march last week, the right to protest is a great thing we can do openly here without recrimination. Why not use it.

I understand the march in DC and anywhere in the States, but marches in Dublin and Galway? Just don't understand the influence or result of that, it's not like the marches in many different countries to oppose the Iraq war. That involved a lot of different countries possibly getting involved in that war. These marches are in response to a presidential election in a country that none of us here in Ireland can affect or vote in.

I have no problem with opposing Trump as an American or foreign citizen, I just don't understand the utility of the foreign marches.

NateDog

I can see and understand both sides. I can understand the whole solidarity thing and trying to maintain a stance against Trump and all that he stands for across the globe, it can help to keep this fight against him going for much longer and if the rumours about his mental state (and how he is taking the negative views regarding practically everything he does and says and the media coverage) are true then the longer this continues this may be the better. However I also understand the other side as, right now, I do doubt that Trump cares much for what people outside of the United States thinks (apart from the UK, perhaps, and that's only really significant because of the relationship Theresa May wants to begin), especially since he's got a huge amount on his plate right now. If things quieten down and this still is going on then yes, I think it could inspire more people. I think that's probably the main thing. Right now this doesn't affect us hugely but it's those in the United States and neighbouring countries who will instantly feel the brunt of him taking to power so those that want to fight him may lose the will to do so fast considering his attempts to undermine them, so perhaps it's about inspiring those that are closer to (or right in the thick of) the action to keep going?

These big international marches seem more about making people feel good in a big scary world and Im OK with that.

I guess in 30 years you probably want to tell your grand kids you did something instead of staying home because it was a bit drizzly outside that day.

Its a fragile gesture but I get it. Ill probably go to a few if things keep going the way they are going too.

acohrs

These big international marches seem more about making people feel good in a big scary world and Im OK with that.

I guess in 30 years you probably want to tell your grand kids you did something instead of staying home because it was a bit drizzly outside that day.

Its a fragile gesture but I get it. Ill probably go to a few if things keep going the way they are going too.

fair enough, it's probably more a way of group venting rather than expected to enact any political change, which is a healthy way to get it out rather than looting and the london riots

There's no opportunity cost here; you can do both. And he does care about the protests, deeply. This is well-documented.

Irish people should also be shouting in the government's ear every day to not fraternize with and legitmize Trump.

acohrs

Usually get Meanies with my sandwich at lunch, but today got King's. Tomorrow, might do a king sandwich at work for lunch, v excited!

Edit: glad to see we are all in agreement bar one heretic

acohrs

A wonderfully shit day today lads and ladies. Gonna get drenched going home today. Ugh

My dad got me a goretex coat for Xmas, best present ever since I've used it every day since then.

Also, after our crisp chat yesterday, made myself a buttered king sandwich today at work. Was lovely

Lucreto

I was nearly blown off the platform as Grand Canal dock.

My boss let me home early to avoid the protests at the American Embassy. I don't think there will be a turnout tonight.

Felt kind of bad leaving.

As for King and Tayto I taste no major difference.

was on the dart yesterday and heard someone talking about banner saga and thought "they def post on gaf" lol.

anyone pick up a nes mini this week? they had one or two in stock in smyths apparently.

Podge293

Had a bit too much to drink and got into a scuffle on Saturday night. Got taken to the Garda station for a warning.

Fair enough, most likely won't happen again.

What the sergeant said tho was laughable at best. "While we're wasting time with you, ISIS are just around the corner"

Like fair enough I was an idiot and deserved a slap on the wrists. Saying drunks are the cause of Isis attacking is a bit of a stretch

Had a bit too much to drink and got into a scuffle on Saturday night. Got taken to the Garda station for a warning.

What the sergeant said tho was laughable at best. "While we're wasting time with you, ISIS are just around the corner"

Like fair enough I was an idiot and deserved a slap on the wrists. Saying drunks are the cause of Isis attacking is a bit of a stretch

Drunks are more of a threat I'd say.

Fierce weather.

acohrs

Would in a twisted way love to see that press conference, "This terrorist attack happened because of all you drunks taking up the garda's time!"

Podge293

Would in a twisted way love to see that press conference, "This terrorist attack happened because of all you drunks taking up the garda's time!"

I'd like to think he was going for a dramatic warning to me but was so over the top and ridiculous it failed to hit the mark.

Still lesson learned, gonna row back on the drink considerably and try not do stupid stuff in the time being

NateDog

My girlfriend was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid condition about 7 months ago after having symptoms of it for years. She was denied medication to help her deal with the pain because of her age so they told her to come back in 6 months to see if her levels had decreased or even died off. Instead they've gotten severely worse. What's their answer? "We'll wait another 6 months to see how it progresses." They refuse to give her anything for it, the doctor won't either, yet she's been told 3 times by A&E staff (when she had to go due to the effects it was having on her) that she needs medication for it as soon as possible. The hospital are just going to send her in circles for years again like they did in finally diagnosing her with this (and IBS), the fucking ineptitude regarding stuff like this in this country.

NateDog

Today is the 8th and Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy of Nioh. Why shouldn't I use Amazon again?

Never ever pre-order with Amazon, I find it amazing how quick they are with sending other orders yet you pre-order something and they take so long to ship.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Never ever pre-order with Amazon, I find it amazing how quick they are with sending other orders yet you pre-order something and they take so long to ship.
They're taking long enough to ship my copy of Yakuza 0 as it is. I'm not expected to get that until somewhere between the 23rd and 27th.

NateDog

They're taking long enough to ship my copy of Yakuza 0 as it is. I'm not expected to get that until somewhere between the 23rd and 27th.

Did you pre-order that as well? If not then I guess maybe that could be excused as it seems like a lot of places surprisingly sold out of it, heck I saw at least 3-4 Gamestops list it as sold out pretty much since release. Weirdly enough I also noticed that they only seemed to get in copies of Kingdom Hearts 2.8 this week despite it releasing the same day as Yakuza 0.

Top Bottom