• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Lucreto

Absolutely hate summer (other than Bbqs)

I hate the long days. Can't go to bed early because it's still bright at 10 and the sun is coming up at 4.30. Blackout curtains help only to a point. Kids outside screaming and shouting doesn't help.

Then the heat prevents me from sleeping and I am a zombie for most of the summer at work. The next 8 months will be a pain.

/Rant

I prefer cold temperatures frost level cold with nice sunshine. Pity we missed out on any snow again this year. Maybe next year.

Podge293

''Tis a bit windy alright. Don't mind the wind as much as the rain tho

My neighbour did not fare well last night tho. Seems his bin cracked one of his windows.

A lot of yelling this morning

Clegg

The Norths stance on gay marriage makes reunification almost impossible.

And as much as I dislike the DUP, and they are a deplorable organisation full of bigots and sectarians, they represent a sizeable portion of the population of NI.

Lucreto

What do you make of Enda's comments about Irish Reunification. I feel that the North isn't in a great place at the moment politically and this could only make things worse.

Taoiseach: Brexit agreement must allow for Irish Reunification
http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/93710/0/

He is not saying that.

He is saying under the Good Friday Agreement it says there is an option for a referendum for a United Ireland. When Brexit negotiations start they want this option written into the Brexit agreement so they can rejoin the EU without all the red tape Scotland will have to go through to rejoin.

And as much as I dislike the DUP, and they are a deplorable organisation full of bigots and sectarians, they represent a sizeable portion of the population of NI.

We secularised a lot especially over the last 20 years. Divorce only became legal 22 years ago and look at what strides we have made. We ratified Gay marriage before the US did and it was the people who voted for it and not forced through by the government.

The North still cling to its religious beliefs and old hatreds. I am against a United Ireland, it will cost too much to run, they are still strongly British and we are socially different than us.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Doris did a number alright, 20K homes without power and loads of trees down. Doris, schoo!
Tell that to my mother. She's disappointed that the storm seemed weak to her.

I'd say just do away with the whole thing and have Norn Iron be its own independent nation. I mean, what exactly have England done to benefit them in recent years?

acohrs

Tell that to my mother. She's disappointed that the storm seemed weak to her.

I'd say just do away with the whole thing and have Norn Iron be its own independent nation. I mean, what exactly have England done to benefit them in recent years?

Dores was thundering bitch of a storm and I'm glad she's gone.

Watching Gogglebox Ireland and First Dates Ireland back to back, best shows on Irish telly hands down and love Thursday nights when I can watch both at once.

Hello, Ireland gaf. I'll be heading over to your country next month for a vacation with my gf. I'll be there from the 17th - 23rd of March. I have a few questions to ask if you guys don't mind.

Are there any sites we have to see while we're down there? Any good restaurants? How drunk will I be everyday?

Also, I wanted to rent a car but I'm not quite sure it's a good idea. I can drive manual but driving stick on the opposite side of the car and on the left side of the road sounds like it'll be a challenge. Will we be able to get around fine with ubers and buses?

Lastly, we'll be flying in on St Patrick's Day. Where are the best places to drink heavily?

Our hotel is located in temple bar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
(I'm from Canada btw)

Podge293

Hello, Ireland gaf. I'll be heading over to your country next month for a vacation with my gf. I'll be there from the 17th - 23rd of March. I have a few questions to ask if you guys don't mind.

Are there any sites we have to see while we're down there? Any good restaurants? How drunk will I be everyday?

Also, I wanted to rent a car but I'm not quite sure it's a good idea. I can drive manual but driving stick on the opposite side of the car and on the left side of the road sounds like it'll be a challenge. Will we be able to get around fine with ubers and buses?

Lastly, we'll be flying in on St Patrick's Day. Where are the best places to drink heavily?

Our hotel is located in temple bar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
(I'm from Canada btw)

Dude has his priorities.

Since you're in temple bar and assuming you don't mind paying 6.50 or whatever it is these days for a pint. Stay there. It'll be full of drunken people till all hours of the morning (like 4. Nearly all shut at 4 or before 4)

For restaurants. Try out FXB if you like steaks (there's one in temple bar called crow street). Asador does tasty food too.

Not even sure uber is here yet to be honest (someone could correct me on this but I've never seen one). As for transport, depends what you're doing. You can walk to most things in the city centre from temple bar. Dublin bus or the Luas will get you where you need to go in most cases.

I'd recommend the Guinness factory tour. Decent tour and you get a pint at the end (you either pour it yourself or get one poured) and get a great view of the city.

As for level of drunkness, go crazy just don't get detained. If a bouncer says fuck off, fuck off it won't end well for you(I know this from experience). If you're too drunk most places won't let you in. Drinking on the streets is technically illegal (temple bar is a bit weird for this but it's still illegal).

That's my advice anyways

Dude has his priorities.

Since you're in temple bar and assuming you don't mind paying 6.50 or whatever it is these days for a pint. Stay there. It'll be full of drunken people till all hours of the morning (like 4. Nearly all shut at 4 or before 4)

For restaurants. Try out FXB if you like steaks (there's one in temple bar called crow street). Asador does tasty food too.

Not even sure uber is here yet to be honest (someone could correct me on this but I've never seen one). As for transport, depends what you're doing. You can walk to most things in the city centre from temple bar. Dublin bus or the Luas will get you where you need to go in most cases.

I'd recommend the Guinness factory tour. Decent tour and you get a pint at the end (you either pour it yourself or get one poured) and get a great view of the city.

As for level of drunkness, go crazy just don't get detained. If a bouncer says fuck off, fuck off it won't end well for you(I know this from experience). If you're too drunk most places won't let you in. Drinking on the streets is technically illegal (temple bar is a bit weird for this but it's still illegal).

That's my advice anyways

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'll have trouble with bouncers. I'm not one to get into fights. I'm a big sleeper when I get drunk. Also, my gf would be the first one to hit me should I try and start a fight (not that I would)

We are doing Guinness and Jameson 100%. Are there places outside of dublin that are good? I heard Wicklow is nice. Is Giant's Causeway worth the trip north?

acohrs

Dude has his priorities.

That's my advice anyways

Uber was blocked in Ireland, just Hailo here. Ireland already has a higher ratio of cabs to people than NYC even.

Only restaurants to add to that list is Crackbird on Dame St, Bunsen Burger in Temple Bar or Wow Burger in the Workmans

Uber was blocked in Ireland, just Hailo here. Ireland already has a higher ratio of cabs to people than NYC even.

Only restaurants to add to that list is Crackbird on Dame St, Bunsen Burger in Temple Bar or Wow Burger in the Workmans

Uber is here per say, but it's basically an Hailo where Taxi's use the service. You can still get an Uber Black (The costlier service). Still it's worth using as it's 10% off a normal fare.

NateDog

I saw a sign on a freezer in Spar for Solero Shots. I absolutely loved those as a kid, and for a moment I actually thought they may be back, but alas no.

Lucreto

Watched Pulp Fiction for the first time this evening, it's a good movie but it was even better seeing all the references The Simpsons did with it.

Then I got another giggle seeing Winston Wolf which I only known from the direct line insurance adverts appear in the doorway. Whoever works in Marketing in Direct Line deserves a clap for that reference.

That somehow activated a nostalgia trip on YouTube watching the openings to old TV shows I watched as a kid.

The Dream Stone, Count Duckula, The Trap Door, Around the Twist, Dogtanian, King Rollo, Dinosaurs, Pugwalls Summer and Mr Ben.

What a way to spend a Saturday evening.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Watched Pulp Fiction for the first time this evening, it's a good movie but it was even better seeing all the references The Simpsons did with it.

Then I got another giggle seeing Winston Wolf which I only known from the direct line insurance adverts appear in the doorway. Whoever works in Marketing in Direct Line deserves a clap for that reference.
Someone's watching Comedy Central tonight.

That somehow activated a nostalgia trip on YouTube watching the openings to old TV shows I watched as a kid.

The Dream Stone, Count Duckula, The Trap Door, Around the Twist, Dogtanian, King Rollo, Dinosaurs, Pugwalls Summer and Mr Ben.

What a way to spend a Saturday evening.
And years before that, TCC.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Ha, are they still showing those adverts? It's been a good while since I seen them.
That they are. As recent as, ohhh...yesterday.

TCC used to show all that stuff before it went to all live action and basically killed the station.
I can at least appreciate it for getting me into the '60's Batman show. But yeah, I was really disappointed that they replaced it with Trouble full time.

NateDog

Guys I need a solid pair of work shoes. My current ones are in an abysmal state but I've had them for 5 years now and got them in Barratts for €50. Any suggestions of reliable places?

Argos is selling the switch for 370 or 380 on their systems right now.

edit - Symths are taking pre orders still, but there's no gurantee said pre orders will be fulfilled for launch day.

Podge293

Argos is selling the switch for 370 or 380 on their systems right now.

edit - Symths are taking pre orders still, but there's no gurantee said pre orders will be fulfilled for launch day.

Really? I walked into one last week looking for something else and got chatting to the lad behind the counter. Said they've about 15/20 spare in their store alone that aren't preordered

acohrs

I agree. I got a hefty tax refund today so I might pick one up on Friday if they're still available

You should use that refund to come watch St Pats with me! Opening match of the season, they lose 1-2 and receive 2 red cards. Are you not entertained!!?!

Podge293

You should use that refund to come watch St Pats with me! Opening match of the season, they lose 1-2 and receive 2 red cards. Are you not entertained!!?!

Ah jaysus the Irish league? I honestly tried a few years ago. I've no interest in it at all.

acohrs

Ah jaysus the Irish league? I honestly tried a few years ago. I've no interest in it at all.

The best bit about the Irish league is that the players are in no way pros. So if fans yell at them, 1 out of 3 times they will respond. Best bits of the match. Some shamrock player got into a yelling fight with a st pats fan last year, better than the match!

Top Bottom