• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

I really admire his effort, but is just not enticing, comparing to this
The center is completely raw...

I read some of the OP's comments and supposedly the picture was after his initial smoking that was cut short due to weather. From what I gathered he planned to cook it whole some more then finish off to order before plating. Guy says he's pro with access to pro equipment.

Have to give him is props for deboning the whole pig. Didn't know that was even a thing.

zbarron

Do you get free pickles? :p
I have. They do a family picnic thing and there are games like bingo and sack races where winners get jars of pickles. It was a lot of fun.
I felt the same way when I made creme fraiche for the first time by leaving heavy cream and butter milk out on the counter overnight. I lived.
It's on my list. My wife is no longer pregnant as of a week ago so I plan on making some soon. The risk is minimal but not worth it while pregnant.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
qAfeUGv.jpg

amBifIe.jpg

Chinese beef stew I made :) Not the best or most appetizing photos, sorry. I thought it tasted pretty good though...

zbarron

ColdPizza

Banned
I love Chef John. Admittedly some of his recipes that I've tried I haven't had much success with but he is so goofy and charming and watching that channel really gets me in the mood to cook.

Hah yah, I'll try these out soon and report back. I just love his voice.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Chef John is my spirit animal. I love how he makes his recipes look so simple and just plain fun. One of these days I'll try his Cornish pastries.

zbarron

Tonight I made sous vide pork loin, corn, cole slaw, and drop biscuits. No pictures. I've been cooking every dinner for the past few weeks. We're staying with relatives at the moment since my second son was just born and they're helping us out, so I help out with stuff around the house like cooking. I feel weird busting out the camera before every meal but I had to for dessert.

24800932850_197c6f6bef_b.jpg

Tonight's dessert is creme brulee. They have a blow torch that they use for sweating copper pipes so I finally was able to get the top perfect. It was really easy but I was a little nervous during it since at first the sugar turned to dark droplets on the surface but another few seconds on it and it liquified together and turned beautiful. This was their first time having creme brulee and they loved it.

zbarron

Nice! Torch is one of those things where three times a year I need it, and then forget to ever buy.
Thanks. I have been using it at every possible opportunity. I'm back to an electric coil stove here so when I made a copycat version of Olive Garden's Sausage and Peppers Rustic I used it to roast the peppers and tomatoes. I also used it on the pork chops on the top while the bottom seared in my cast iron pan. It worked really well to remove surface bubbles too. It's also a hell of a lot of fun.

Quick question. Do the colors on my pictures from the last two pages look off to everyone? I edit the photos on my projector and I'm on my phone right now and they look awful. I may need to calibrate the colors on my projector.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
You all make me proud, people!
Didn't have a lot of time to cook this year so far, the new job means long days and business lunches, so my usual evening routine falls a bit short and looks like this:

Quick question. Do the colors on my pictures from the last two pages look off to everyone? I edit the photos on my projector and I'm on my phone right now and they look awful. I may need to calibrate the colors on my projector.
Yes, the colors seem a bit off. Nonetheless, they are great!

thespot84

I made scallion pancakes last night using serious eats' recipe 9http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/topics/appetizers-and-hors-doeuvres/index.html). Tasted great but came out too oily, was my oil not hot enough for frying?

zbarron

You all make me proud, people!
Didn't have a lot of time to cook this year so far, the new job means long days and business lunches, so my usual evening routine falls a bit short and looks like this:

Yes, the colors seem a bit off. Nonetheless, they are great!
That still looks so tasty. It almost looks like an American sandwich with all those toppings. Are you liking the new job?

Thanks. I re-calibrated my projector. I think I got it more accurate now.
I made scallion pancakes last night using serious eats' recipe 9http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/topics/appetizers-and-hors-doeuvres/index.html). Tasted great but came out too oily, was my oil not hot enough for frying?
Did you use a thermometer on the oil? Your guess would be the same as mine. Also did you drain immediately on paper towel? If you oil was hot enough and you drained on layers of paper towel you could try putting extra on top if it was only oily on one side.

Tonight I made a tuna noodle casserole. It was just bowtie pasta cooked then tossed with 2 cans of tuna, frozen peas, parsley and a few splashes of lemon juice before I added my sauce and stirred to combine.

I made a bechamel based cheese sauce for it since my son likes Kraft mac n cheese with tuna thrown in and I wanted him to eat a lot while still making it nice enough for the adults. This was the second roux I made this week and I had a question.

I know there are a lot of food science lovers here. Both times I used butter for the fat and the first time I used flour and this time I used corn starch for the starch. I melt the butter than add equal parts flour and cook while whisking to my desired doneness before adding my liquid. The weird thing is at this point it is very thin only slightly thicker than just the butter. Oddly when I add a little bit of my liquid it thickens tremendously and then I add more a little at a time while whisking like crazy to make it smooth and homogenous. It seems counter intuitive that adding liquid to something that appears liquid would make it thicken. Does starch not absorb fat and is suspended in it but readily absorbs water which is why it thickens? It throws me every time but it's really cool.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Might have fried it for too long. The crust is super thin so it's easy for the oil to penetrate.

In contrast, mine (same recipe) came out mushy and undercooked because I was very skittish with the amount of frying oil I used and the heat.

thespot84

Might have fried it for too long. The crust is super thin so it's easy for the oil to penetrate.

In contrast, mine (same recipe) came out mushy and undercooked because I was very skittish with the amount of frying oil I used and the heat.

Sounds like hotter and faster is they way to go then, thx

Pennywise

As OnkelC is busy with work, I shall share a german dish with you guys.

German meatballs aka Frikadellen.

Dish is incredible simple to make, the preparation devours the majority of the time.

What you need ?
1 kg of ground beef/mince (you can go with only beef or beef/pork however you like).
Parsley
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 eggs
1-2 oninions depending the size
Breadcrumbs
Salt
Pepper
Paprika powder, both sweet and spicy.

Preparation starts by chopping the oninions, the parsley and the garlic.
Put them together until you got a good amount, just like that.
TMLLcL7.jpg

Get another bowl ready, add the meat, the two eggs and the breadcrumbs.
zsOMpz2.jpg

Start to season it with salt,pepper and both of the mentioned paprika powders and add the parsley,onions and the garlic.

UjQ5ZGb.jpg

Now you've got the exhausting part and mix it properly together with your HANDS !
If the mass feels to juicy you might wanna add more breadcrumbs, if it feels to dry you can add another egg.

Once you finished mixing them properly, you start to form them.
They look more like a hamburger than the usual round meatballs alot of you know.
You can form them bigger or smaller, however you like it.

m5mbMX9.jpg

Get them into the pan and start to pan-fry them until they have a beautiful brown on each side.
Assemble them on a griddle and leave them in the oven at 150°C for about 20-25 minutes
You might wanna add some time if you made them bigger.

zvshGe0.jpg

And that's how they look when they're done.
tv2pvzM.jpg

Alot of people tend to eat them with ketchup or mustard.
I prefer to eat them with only a breadroll.
09gVXh6.jpg

There is one thing that's really great about them.
If you leave them in the fridge and reheat them in the oven the next day, they taste even better that way.

So I strongly suggest to prepare them a day before you eat them.
However they also taste great when you just made them.

Guten Hunger.
Enjoy the Frikadellen, I certainly did.

I'll post this since I think it's officially my new favorite breakfast:

12733522_10205278168699811_412534173366168493_n.jpg

The egg in the Avocado is super easy and has been great and I added some sausage today. It's been a great meal for my diet too. 400 calories without the sausage and 600 with it. This keeps me going most of the day.

As OnkelC is busy with work, I shall share a german dish with you guys.

German meatballs aka Frikadellen.

Dish is incredible simple to make, the preparation devours the majority of the time.

What you need ?
1 kg of ground beef/mince (you can go with only beef or beef/pork however you like).
Parsley
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 eggs
1-2 oninions depending the size
Breadcrumbs
Salt
Pepper
Paprika powder, both sweet and spicy.

Preparation starts by chopping the oninions, the parsley and the garlic.
Put them together until you got a good amount, just like that.
TMLLcL7.jpg

Get another bowl ready, add the meat, the two eggs and the breadcrumbs.
zsOMpz2.jpg

Start to season it with salt,pepper and both of the mentioned paprika powders and add the parsley,onions and the garlic.

UjQ5ZGb.jpg

Now you've got the exhausting part and mix it properly together with your HANDS !
If the mass feels to juicy you might wanna add more breadcrumbs, if it feels to dry you can add another egg.

Once you finished mixing them properly, you start to form them.
They look more like a hamburger than the usual round meatballs alot of you know.
You can form them bigger or smaller, however you like it.

m5mbMX9.jpg

Get them into the pan and start to pan-fry them until they have a beautiful brown on each side.
Assemble them on a griddle and leave them in the oven at 150°C for about 20-25 minutes
You might wanna add some time if you made them bigger.

zvshGe0.jpg

And that's how they look when they're done.
tv2pvzM.jpg

Alot of people tend to eat them with ketchup or mustard.
I prefer to eat them with only a breadroll.
09gVXh6.jpg

There is one thing that's really great about them.
If you leave them in the fridge and reheat them in the oven the next day, they taste even better that way.

So I strongly suggest to prepare them a day before you eat them.
However they also taste great when you just made them.

Guten Hunger.
Enjoy the Frikadellen, I certainly did.

Looks good, essentially what we call meatloaf in America. usually topped with a bbq or ketchup sauce and sometimes cheese.

Is nobody cooking anymore?

But of course! I love cooking and baking. Well, when I have time, that is. I make mainly Mexican dishes, but here are the Portal cookies that my kids help make.

You can tell we started getting lazy and tired of making them though. They are a lot of work!

bwbphuw.jpg

I'll post this since I think it's officially my new favorite breakfast:

12733522_10205278168699811_412534173366168493_n.jpg

The egg in the Avocado is super easy and has been great and I added some sausage today. It's been a great meal for my diet too. 400 calories without the sausage and 600 with it. This keeps me going most of the day.

Also, this is the only way I can eat avocado without my throat and mouth itching up a storm. I am allergic, but I love them too much to give them up. I just made some quacamole and chicken flautas, but I had to limit myself on the guac.

Tonight I made sous vide pork loin, corn, cole slaw, and drop biscuits. No pictures. I've been cooking every dinner for the past few weeks. We're staying with relatives at the moment since my second son was just born and they're helping us out, so I help out with stuff around the house like cooking. I feel weird busting out the camera before every meal but I had to for dessert.

Congratulations on you second son! Okay, that felt weird saying and for some reason, I now want to replay inFAMOUS...NO really though, congratulations!

Zyzyxxz

do we have a instagram food community here? I just started an account where I put pictures I made of home made food or stuff I bought from the market...
https://www.instagram.com/monol0g/

also I just bought my first de buyer pan and can't wait to receive it tomorrow.

Yes follow me: Senor_gionni

I wish there was a better way to post instagram pics on GAF otherwise I'd be posting all my food pics all the time.

Here's a recent event I did for our local industry night (for food service brothers and sisters) On mondays we've been doing a donation only fried chicken dinners where one chef serves up their version of fried chicken and so far each week has been something different and delicious. This last Monday was my turn and I attempted a Chinese dish called sandstorm chicken which is a naked fried chicken (no batter or dusting) so that the skin becomes the only crispy thing.

1422507_10154543145500744_1245100926483469130_n.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yes follow me: Senor_gionni

I wish there was a better way to post instagram pics on GAF otherwise I'd be posting all my food pics all the time.

Here's a recent event I did for our local industry night (for food service brothers and sisters) On mondays we've been doing a donation only fried chicken dinners where one chef serves up their version of fried chicken and so far each week has been something different and delicious. This last Monday was my turn and I attempted a Chinese dish called sandstorm chicken which is a naked fried chicken (no batter or dusting) so that the skin becomes the only crispy thing.

1422507_10154543145500744_1245100926483469130_n.jpg

Followed!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
well, look who just got here:

Isn't she a beauty?

as you can see the first seasoning of the pan worked and it already darkened a little bit.

Edit: also I followed you guys back :D

and here is my first fry, bought from a polish butcher. cooked and then smoked bacon

zbarron

But of course! I love cooking and baking. Well, when I have time, that is. I make mainly Mexican dishes, but here are the Portal cookies that my kids help make.

You can tell we started getting lazy and tired of making them though. They are a lot of work!

Also, this is the only way I can eat avocado without my throat and mouth itching up a storm. I am allergic, but I love them too much to give them up. I just made some quacamole and chicken flautas, but I had to limit myself on the guac.
Those cookies look awesome. Was there a Portal cookie cutter you used?

well, look who just got here:

Isn't she a beauty?

as you can see the first seasoning of the pan worked and it already darkened a little bit.

Edit: also I followed you guys back :D

and here is my first fry, bought from a polish butcher. cooked and then smoked bacon
How are you liking it? Is it heavy? I didn't get a good seasoning on my wok until I seasoned it over the charcoal chimney for my grill. It got the whole thing pitch black in one go. Can't you use the oven with that though? The handle looks like it can take it. That's always the most even.

Is that a Chinese Cleaver Zyzyxxz? Looks beautiful.

I'm not on Instagram, strictly Flickr. I got Creme Fraiche fermenting on top of my fridge currently. I checked it at 12 hours and it was thinner than I'd like and not that tangy so I'll check it again at 18 which is an hour from now.

zbarron

Yes for me there's only one brand and that's Chan Chi Kee from Hong Kong this is the model I have: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver2.html but I paid $45 from a local dealer for it.

It's amazing, super thin and will julienne and sharpen very easily! It will go through small chicken bones but I wouldn't risk anything denser.
Very nice. I've been watching these 5 videos today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8FPk5qN9k
I can see how this style can be beneficial compared to western chef knives in many cases.

snacknuts

we all knew her
So a friend of mine brought over a sausage grinder this past weekend and we made some homemade sausage. I was too busy drinking beer to take many pictures, but it's fantastic sausage and I have a hard time believing I'll be able to go back to store-bought for general stuff (thinks that need to be cured like salame and the like are still going to remain beyond me). We made some hot Italian and some Czech beer sausage. Unfortunately, he forgot the casings, so I have several vacuum packs of loose sausage sitting in my freezer. However, I was so enamored with the experience that I ordered the sausage grinder and stuffer attachment for my KitchenAid mixer so I can keep the party going. Does anyone have any recipes they like for making homemade sausage that you'd be willing to share?

zbarron

Blackened chicken, red beans and rice, and steamed veggies. Chicken had quite a kick and tasted great.
I love blackened chicken. That looks great.

I made a lasagna last night. I used all of the meat sauce and all of the mozzerella cheese. I still have Parmesan and a giant amount of the cheese sauce left. Does anyone know a good way to use it? I made too much and would hate for it to go to waste. I could do a veggie lasagna or maybe stuffed shells but I'm open to all ideas.

Zyzyxxz

So the relatives I'm staying with just picked up the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener - Ken Onion Edition. I used it on my cheap Chicago Cutlery chef knife, my Victorinox paring knife, my Forever Sharp serrated knife and my Kershaw Storm II pocket knife. I have to say this thing is amazing. Does anyone else use a belt sharpener or do you all use whetstones?

For knives I care about I generally only use whetstones but if this was a kitchen and I had generic knives I would use this tool. Did not know it existed, and I wonder how much Ken Onion had in the development of it. I think it's a great tool to bring back super dull blades and then finish on a stone.

zbarron

For knives I care about I generally only use whetstones but if this was a kitchen and I had generic knives I would use this tool. Did not know it existed, and I wonder how much Ken Onion had in the development of it. I think it's a great tool to bring back super dull blades and then finish on a stone.
What benefits do you see to using a stone? It has interchangeable belts of different grits and an adjustable guide from 15°+ in 1° increments. You can also control the speed. The only thing I did wrong was round the tip of my chef's knife with it but i never use the tip anyway.

If you are talking about a commercial kitchen I see why it would be faster using this for many blades in one session. The longest part is changing the belts.

I don't know how much input he had but there are other cheaper versions without his name in it but they start at 20°+.

Our local knife sharpener at Warther's also uses a flexible belt sharpener. He likes the convex grind it gives the knives.

I love blackened chicken. That looks great.

Thanks for saying that. It was indeed great. Had plenty of leftovers too.

I've been on a chicken kick and found a recipe for crockpot cranberry bbq chicken that looked good.

24904219143_ebf5d66c21_c.jpg

Served with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes.

HiResDes

Made the best bolognese of my life, basically using OnkelC's no olive oil recipe, but subbing in some bacon fat for the veggies and a little pureed chicken liver at the end. Oh I also used a mix of pork, lamb, and beef.

Zyzyxxz

What benefits do you see to using a stone? It has interchangeable belts of different grits and an adjustable guide from 15°+ in 1° increments. You can also control the speed. The only thing I did wrong was round the tip of my chef's knife with it but i never use the tip anyway.

If you are talking about a commercial kitchen I see why it would be faster using this for many blades in one session. The longest part is changing the belts.

I don't know how much input he had but there are other cheaper versions without his name in it but they start at 20°+.

Our local knife sharpener at Warther's also uses a flexible belt sharpener. He likes the convex grind it gives the knives.

Stone produces much less heat. A belt moves so fast that it heats up the edge and also tends to sand off more metal so you get less edge life.

Personally belt sanding once in awhile isn't bad but I plan to use my knives for at least another decade and I don't want my favorite ones to get whittled down to the spine.

zbarron

Stone produces much less heat. A belt moves so fast that it heats up the edge and also tends to sand off more metal so you get less edge life.

Personally belt sanding once in awhile isn't bad but I plan to use my knives for at least another decade and I don't want my favorite ones to get whittled down to the spine.

Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

On today's episode of using power tools to cook: I found This Behemoth yesterday in the garage.
torchjyknn.jpg

I had a top round roast that needed used so I put it in the sous vide bath at 135°F from 8:30AM to 4:30PM At that point I put it on my unlit grill and went to town searing it. I got every inch of the three pound roast steakhouse level of seared in about 45 seconds. I actually laughed out loud using the small benzomatic poropane torch to light this torch. No photos but here is an artist's rendition:
24914086573_7ec65b5869_o.jpg

It was rosy edge to edge and there was zero torch taste which pleasantly surprised me with a torch capable of 3,000 degrees. It was a cheap cut of meat that was on sale buy one get one and it had more flavor and was far more tender than the prime rib at the steakhouse I used to work at. I made a jus with a blond roux of butter and corn starch mixed with beef broth and the drippings in the sous vide bag as well as some rosemary and cracked black pepper. It was a great dish.

Edit: Photo of a piece of the leftovers. I sliced the remainder thin for sandwiches.
25542251955_b6e2b96e42_b.jpg

I could pull this apart with little effort. It was so tender but still fairly juicy and plenty moist with the jus.

Top Bottom