• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Wow, fresh komatsuna at my Whole Foods. They are on point with carrying Japanese ingredients.

Snagged some and whipped up a quick stir fry of them. Pretty damned tasty, way better than mustard greens. :3

That's what it's called. It seems to always be available at one of my Asian grocers, but I've never been able to get the name. The shape of the leaf with a bit of sheen on them is very distinct.

ColdPizza

Banned
My brother got me a $50 gift card to Williams Sonoma over THREE years ago.

I've never felt more handcuffed by a gift like this, since it would mean buying a bunch of cheap items I'll probably never use or spending up to get something I really want.

So I ended up with a non stick burger press, some wax papers for the press, a fish spatula, and a vegetable brush. Yikes.

Zyzyxxz

Wow, fresh komatsuna at my Whole Foods. They are on point with carrying Japanese ingredients.

Snagged some and whipped up a quick stir fry of them. Pretty damned tasty, way better than mustard greens. :3

I'm in Los Angeles so they are common. Where are you at that they are a rarity?

Haven't posted in a while. I've been helping Swift and Sons get their coffee program organized these past few weeks. I go back to pastry starting next week, finally. I'm anxious to get back into the kitchen and not focus so much on FOH things.

I'm not fond of carrying trays and running drinks out to people. I can't ever imagine being a server, honestly.

zbarron

Haven't posted in a while. I've been helping Swift and Sons get their coffee program organized these past few weeks. I go back to pastry starting next week, finally. I'm anxious to get back into the kitchen and not focus so much on FOH things.

I'm not fond of carrying trays and running drinks out to people. I can't ever imagine being a server, honestly.

I spent about 4 years of my life serving and it sucked. I don't miss it. Then again I can't imagine enjoying cooking on the line. It seems too hot, loud and stressful to be enjoyable. I'd rather cook what I want when I want.

I spent about 4 years of my life serving and it sucked. I don't miss it. Then again I can't imagine enjoying cooking on the line. It seems too hot, loud and stressful to be enjoyable. I'd rather cook what I want when I want.
There's a macabre sense of humor and mindset present during line cooking that is eerily similar to that of the military. I'm talking, really eerily similar.

And that's one of the reasons why I love it. :D

Xeno_V

So I just got a huge chunk of feta cheese for which I have no use of any kind.

Is there a recipe that uses it in sizeable amounts? As far as I can see, it is mostly used as garnish or in small quantities.

I also have a huge chunk of feta and I will try something like this during the weekend, by far my favourite use of feta cheese:
http://www.legalnomads.com/2014/10/spicy-baked-feta-recipe.html

Some extra olive-oil and some good quality bread can guarantee a top-notch "snack".

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I posted a work in progress picture of my outdoor kitchen that my brother was building for me a couple of months ago. Just finished getting everything hooked up and working today.

BBQ pushes out a lot of heat and happy with the space it has. Sink is nice and deep for larger dishes. Will be putting it through its paces tomorrow as I have about 30 people coming around for a pre party before (will stick to hotdogs and steak burgers I think to keep it simple). Need to load up that fridge with beers too.

12647265_10152902038304364_8856381597685537313_n.jpg

Only a couple of months of summer left here, so will be squeezing as much use as possible out of it in the coming weeks.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I'd definitely go there if I ever visit LA. Are you sticking there for a while, or do you have a new venture lined up?

Zyzyxxz

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I'd definitely go there if I ever visit LA. Are you sticking there for a while, or do you have a new venture lined up?
'

Actually I left that place a year after I opened it. But Im working with the owner on some new projects coming up.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I posted a work in progress picture of my outdoor kitchen that my brother was building for me a couple of months ago. Just finished getting everything hooked up and working today.

BBQ pushes out a lot of heat and happy with the space it has. Sink is nice and deep for larger dishes. Will be putting it through its paces tomorrow as I have about 30 people coming around for a pre party before (will stick to hotdogs and steak burgers I think to keep it simple). Need to load up that fridge with beers too.

Only a couple of months of summer left here, so will be squeezing as much use as possible out of it in the coming weeks.

That's gorgeous, but I do wonder about its preservation. Won't it lose some of its luster over time? I'm thinking about rust and increased wear and tear.

ColdPizza

Banned
Cross-posting from this thread: Chef reverse engineers the McDonald Egg McMuffin and makes it better.

Finally got around to making this. I couldn't find good Canadian bacon anywhere so I decided to just use bacon.

Impressive, but I would also toast the outside of the English muffins since the residual heat/steam from wrapping it in foil caused it to be softer than I was expecting, since I got a nice brown toast on the insides.

The egg turned out absolutely perfect.

yRW0pz6.jpg

NfKLltS.jpg

8SfaGXw.jpg

zbarron

I'd love to try a papaya salad minus the shrimp. I've never eaten anything like it.

That's gorgeous, but I do wonder about its preservation. Won't it lose some of its luster over time? I'm thinking about rust and increased wear and tear.
Oooh. When did you get modded? Congrats.
Cross-posting from this thread: Chef reverse engineers the McDonald Egg McMuffin and makes it better.

Finally got around to making this. I couldn't find good Canadian bacon anywhere so I decided to just use bacon.

Impressive, but I would also toast the outside of the English muffins since the residual heat/steam from wrapping it in foil caused it to be softer than I was expecting, since I got a nice brown toast on the insides.

That looks great. The sandwich in my opinion has always been a good concept with poor execution.

My wife just had the baby Friday so I'm still at the hospital with her and not much cooking is getting done. Still she's back to not being grossed out by onions which will make cooking a lot easier on me when I start.

entremet

yRW0pz6.jpg

NfKLltS.jpg

8SfaGXw.jpg

Good to see you enjoyed it!

Some positivity came out of that thread lol.

The pedants were out in full force because of my cheeky title lol.

ColdPizza

Banned
Good to see you enjoyed it!

Some positivity came out of that thread lol.

The pedants were out in full force because of my cheeky title lol.

If anything, I'm glad to know of a method to make eggs like this...I love this texture.

Also, I used Kraft singles slices...I could probably try a firmer American cheese from the deli counter next time to see if I can prevent this "cheese-wiz" effect.

ColdPizza

Banned
Interesting read on stew meat and length of cooking time by Kenji: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/science-of-stew-why-long-cooking-is-bad-idea-overcook-beef.html

Believe it or not, I can achieve Kenji's "primary breakdown" of stew meat in a crock pot by placing the meat on top of everything else. After 8 hours, it looks exactly like what he's looking for since it's not getting blasted in the liquids below. After that, I'll try to take the meat out carefully into a dish and stir the rest of the liquids/veggies around and let it cool before re-adding the meat.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

The BBQ itself has a cover which I tie down with straps that hook into stainless steel loops, on top of it having an enamel coating. The fridge I still need to deal with but it can slide back and we are making a wood cover that will slot in front of it. The granite may need to get buffed and resealed every 5 years but that is easy. The wood stain is probably the thing that will wear the most so I'll probably need a couple of extra coats every 3 years of so.

Will need looking after for sure, but should be worth it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The BBQ itself has a cover which I tie down with straps that hook into stainless steel loops, on top of it having an enamel coating. The fridge I still need to deal with but it can slide back and we are making a wood cover that will slot in front of it. The granite may need to get buffed and resealed every 5 years but that is easy. The wood stain is probably the thing that will wear the most so I'll probably need a couple of extra coats every 3 years of so.

Will need looking after for sure, but should be worth it.

Yeah, I'd be most concerned about the faucet and the granite, specially since it's polished. Wood may also be a problem. One of my friends have some patio furniture and the wood went pretty bad after a couple of years of exposure, although your's is painted, which helps.

Also, I made some tiropita.

I remain unimpressed. Feta is definitely not my thing.

I love feta, although I would be hard pressed to enumerate many ways I consume it. It's either in a classic Greek salad, where the feta marinates and breaks up in the dressing a little bit and becomes this unctious salty joy, or just straight with some olives and bread, maybe a little olive oil poured over it. We'll occasionally put it in a frittata, too, but usually we're just eating it straight or in a salad.

Went over to visit the farm where we'll be mating the goats, hoping to get some kids in the summer and then start on the goat milking and cheese making adventure. With the weird warm temps we've been having lately the hens have started laying up a storm. Although it may also be related to the fact that the eldest cranky hen, who terrorized the younger birds, passed away last week. Hard to say, but either way enjoying a lot of fresh eggs.

Rookje

Anyone know a good Quebec style Poutine recipe? I've seen the seriouseats one, but that got mixed reviews it seems in the comments.

zbarron

I tried the Serious Eats Peanut Butter cookies recipe. They aren't kidding. These things are pure decadence. I think my larger scoop is 1.5oz so they are bigger than the ones pictured but I like them like this. They are the size of the cookies sold at the bakery near me.
24834630811_11da7a7efa_b.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to make another one of these pizzas today:

pizza5uu5s.png

Topping: Cashews (Sourcream & Onion flavoured), wasabi nuts, Brazil nuts, rum raisin chocolate, banana chips covered in white chocolate, blueberry crisp yogurt,
liquorice covered in white chocolate, liquorice, candied nuts and yellow onion.

Very tasty, even though the crushed tomatoes I used as sauce were a bit watery.

thespot84

Rösti;194940323 said:
I decided to make another one of these pizzas today:

pizza5uu5s.png

Topping: Cashews (Sourcream & Onion flavoured), wasabi nuts, Brazil nuts, rum raisin chocolate, banana chips covered in white chocolate, blueberry crisp yogurt,
liquorice covered in white chocolate, liquorice, candied nuts and yellow onion.

Very tasty, even though the crushed tomatoes I used as sauce were a bit watery.

what are the white rings on the top? look like onions maybe?

Was there a method to the selection of toppings, such as certain flavor pairings?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
what are the white rings on the top? look like onions maybe?

Was there a method to the selection of toppings, such as certain flavor pairings?
The white rings are onions, yes.

No particular method of selecting the toppings, though they work well together.

I red-braised some carnitas meat last night and that shit came out on point. I'm starting to love pork shoulder, it's sold SUPER cheap here in my neck of the woods (Texas) and it goes a long way.

I made a great gyoza filling, but I need to get the wrappers from the store tomorrow. Wonton wrappers just don't get the job done. -_-

luoapp

I red-braised some carnitas meat last night and that shit came out on point. I'm starting to love pork shoulder, it's sold SUPER cheap here in my neck of the woods (Texas) and it goes a long way.

I made a great gyoza filling, but I need to get the wrappers from the store tomorrow. Wonton wrappers just don't get the job done. -_-

What went wrong? Wonton filling isn't too far from gyoza's.

zbarron

I'm not sure if anyone remembers but I was having real trouble making caramel sauce in the last thread back in early December. I finally got it right and it feels so good to conquer that one.

I used a very different recipe that called for sugar, butter and milk. I threw the butter and milk in a mug and nuked it to get it warm and when the sugar was ready I slowly poured it in while stirring vigorously.

I tossed some on some box mix brownies and it really elevated them.
24958847946_a3fa054d74_b.jpg

I'm also having a hard time not eating it by the spoonful.
24867142272_e5c5542fde_c.jpg

Sorry Fit-GAF.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Have had the BBQ going a few times since the weekend. Still building my intuition for it. Below was from a couple of days ago as a post workout meal - grilled sirloin steaks, corn, mushrooms, and figs with creamy blue cheese.

D-Pad

Chicken Alfredo with oven roasted veggies and garlic bread
i1WiuwDl.jpg

and for dessert, Caramel filled chocolate chip cookie cups!
IQoRLIXl.jpg

zbarron

Can anyone familiar with pickling take a look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taWE6WGrsWE

@ 3:49

and tell me if it's really safe to leave it out on the counter for 24 hours? won't it collect hella bacteria?

Hopefully. Not all bacteria is harmful to humans. The way it works is creating an environment where healthy probiotic bacteria thrive and harmful bacteria die. This is usually done with salt and your recipe has quite a bit in it. We've been doing this for thousands of years.

Here is a good link giving a quick explanation. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/what-lacto-fermentation/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hopefully. Not all bacteria is harmful to humans. The way it works is creating an environment where healthy probiotic bacteria thrive and harmful bacteria die. This is usually done with salt and your recipe has quite a bit in it. We've been doing this for thousands of years.

Here is a good link giving a quick explanation. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/what-lacto-fermentation/

So it's standard practice then? That's a relief since I really want to try that recipe :D Thanks!

Top Bottom