• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Right, this is my project for tomorrow
3niKvr6.jpg
That's a 3.5kg pork side with loin still attached. the minor cut under it is the belly, which cooks way faster so it'd be too risky to keep it attached to the ribs.
Leaving it in a 55g salt/litre brine with plenty of lemon juice until tomorrow, then the plan is to rub some onion+garlic powder in it and throw the whole thing in the oven at the lowest temp (mine has 5 flame pegs to denote temperature. super helpful) and let that thing bake, covered in aluminum foil, for about 3-4 hours, then remove the foil and give it another 30min at max temp (which is, like, 230c or thereabouts).

Will probably score the skin at some point to give us a nice, crispy finish.

Suggestions welcomed and all.

So I have like 20 lbs of chicken drumsticks to cook up, but I have no idea what to make. Anyone have some good and simple recipes? I know I'll make fried chicken with them, but I need something else to eat. Help me IronGAF!

Got a crock pot? I'd just slow cook, say, 3lb at a time with different spices, then pull the meat apart later and keep it refrigerated. Curry'n'onions go great here.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
We have (almost) finished the kitchen remodel in our 200+ year old place (aka, why we didn't knock down a wall and make a 'modern' open space design), so we are now cooking again after a seven week hiatus. We have eaten a lot of cereal, burritos and takeout sushi in the last couple months.

Still to be done: new stainless backsplash, stainless around the vent, new cast iron grates in the floor, etc. Basically the metal shop guy is slow. Eesh.

kitchen-almost-1.jpeg

Inaugural dish, one of my wife's favorites for me to make her, a curry you've seen me post here before:

kitchen-almost-2.jpeg

Neat.

I'm a grown ass man and I love a good kitchen. When I bought my apartment I went nuts designing mine (even if it's not particularly flashy) and I learned a lot from my mistakes. The bathrooms and the kitchen took like 80% of my design time when I was renovating my place, in no small part due to the limitations of inner city apartments.

There's a chance I may be building a new house in the country in a couple of years and I'm already wasting my time with floorplans. My apartment was fit with a custom kitchen from a local builder, but this one being a second home and probably built on a budget, I'll probably engage in some Ikea hackery to save money. I can't friggin wait.

I'm a grown ass man and I love a good kitchen. When I bought my apartment I went nuts designing mine (even if it's not particularly flashy) and I learned a lot from my mistakes. The bathrooms and the kitchen took like 80% of my design time when I was renovating my place, in no small part due to the limitations of inner city apartments.

Yeah I can't imagine how messy doing things in shared living spaces can be. It was a bear in our home and we have tons of spare space to store things, tons of parking, etc.

We hired a designer for this space since it was such a big task, but my wife still was heavily involved in all of it (I stayed out of the day to day but reserved veto power). We had four blueprints the designer did as part of the rework and picked the more involved one that had us moving all the appliances and lines, etc., just because if you're going to do it, might as well get the most utility out of the hassle. My wife likes to say she learned so much random stuff from doing this ("who has the best manufactured fittings for pulls--no sharp edges") that she feels like she could consult, but then she'd just advise everyone build a carbon copy of our setup...

I have a fuller, although, not quite up to date, album here if you want to see all the gory demo details.

Zyzyxxz

Yeah I can't imagine how messy doing things in shared living spaces can be. It was a bear in our home and we have tons of spare space to store things, tons of parking, etc.

We hired a designer for this space since it was such a big task, but my wife still was heavily involved in all of it (I stayed out of the day to day but reserved veto power). We had four blueprints the designer did as part of the rework and picked the more involved one that had us moving all the appliances and lines, etc., just because if you're going to do it, might as well get the most utility out of the hassle. My wife likes to say she learned so much random stuff from doing this ("who has the best manufactured fittings for pulls--no sharp edges") that she feels like she could consult, but then she'd just advise everyone build a carbon copy of our setup...

I have a fuller, although, not quite up to date, album here if you want to see all the gory demo details.

Quite and extensive remodel. When I bought my condo I basically did a full teardown but my space is so small that it wasn't that much work.

I'm trying to rework the shevling and hopefully in the longrun get rid of my fridge and go all undercounter refrigeration.

Seeing large kitchens makes me sad because I live in a small studio so I don't have that much space. I think I'm going to invest in an island so I can have more space for baking & etc.

I'm tired of having a tiny chunk of counter to work with :(

Must say i'm quite happy with the results, even if the skin didn't get quite perfect.

So soft you can shove a knife between the ribs up to the handle with barely any pressure. Very moist.

Kinda wondering why my mother never managed to cook one of these properly tbh

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
A few dishes from the dinner I had tonight for a friend of mine and his wife.

Warm roast kumara, potato, beetroot and goat feta cheese salad with edible flower garnish
10354295_700529023417508_1192007656_n.jpg

Satay chicken and orange bell pepper skewers with cucumber side
10432067_219531278380464_587913368_n.jpg

1/3 pound beef burger with Brie, onions sautéed in raspberry jam, ketchup and American mustard on toasted beer and barley buns
1172099_1236210466395435_8267425_n.jpg

Missing is the roast Camembert, and my friend's wife's lemon pie paired with peanut butter and chocolate chip gelato. We were quite full.

ColdPizza

Banned
That burger looks legit. And props to you for STILL putting mustard and ketchup on that. That's exactly what I would do.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That flower dish looks beautiful but how did it taste?

The flowers are fine. Some are a little peppery, but most taste like salad, maybe leaning towards kale. If anything the texture and mouth feel of the bigger ones is the only odd thing because you don't eat something like that otherwise.

zbarron

I am not cooking much at the moment since we are moving again but I just whipped up that one ingredient banana ice cream. I added some PB2 and jelly and it turned out better than expected. The texture is spot on and it really was dead simple.

zbarron

That looks seriously amazing, other than the fries with mayo. My friend spent a semester in Germany when we were in college and came back eating his fries that way.

I forgot I had a picture on my camera I hadn't shared.
24320864315_b8540963a7_b.jpg

I made BBQ Chicken pizza the other day. I had BBQ chicken and some cheddar cheese on hand so I made a no knead dough and then had this the next day for lunch. It also has onions and dried cilantro on it.

The dough was pretty hard to work with to be honest. Maybe if I gave it a rest in the refrigerator it'd be easier to handle while cold but the high hydration made forming a disc difficult.

Easy_G

That looks seriously amazing, other than the fries with mayo. My friend spent a semester in Germany when we were in college and came back eating his fries that way.

I forgot I had a picture on my camera I hadn't shared.
24320864315_b8540963a7_b.jpg

I made BBQ Chicken pizza the other day. I had BBQ chicken and some cheddar cheese on hand so I made a no knead dough and then had this the next day for lunch. It also has onions and dried cilantro on it.

The dough was pretty hard to work with to be honest. Maybe if I gave it a rest in the refrigerator it'd be easier to handle while cold but the high hydration made forming a disc difficult.

As a red blooded American, fries with mayo is the ONLY way.

Also, repeated resting of the dough while rolling should help, but you may not have time for that, especially if you're hungry!

Went out to this small family ran Polish Diner for breakfast yesterday. Had to be one of the best hearty filling meals I've had in a long time.

Everything made from scratch, and they make and smoke their own keilbasy on premises.

So damn good.

zbarron

As a red blooded American, fries with mayo is the ONLY way.

Also, repeated resting of the dough while rolling should help, but you may not have time for that, especially if you're hungry!
I'm not a ketchup guy either and prefer vinegar so I'd probably be labeled British if we're going off my fries preference.

I employ that trick when making pretzels. With pizza I am less patient about steps that stand in the way of pizza in my mouth. Also I hand stretch/toss, not roll.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm just posting to proclaim my love for the new Artic range of Castey pots and casseroles.

They are not the cheapest around, but they are not the most expensive either. Plus, they work great with induction tops. It's too bad I already have a set of (good) pots that will probably last a lifetime, because I'm a huge fan of their frying pans.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I'm just posting to proclaim my love for the new Artic range of Castey pots and casseroles.

They are not the cheapest around, but they are not the most expensive either. Plus, they work great with induction tops. It's too bad I already have a set of (good) pots that will probably last a lifetime, because I'm a huge fan of their frying pans.

Oh, those look nice!

I recently upgraded with a 24cm and a 28cm skillet, a 28 cm sauté pan and a 20 cm sautese. All in stainless steel. They weren't exactly cheap either... :p

It's been a long time since I made it but I felt like chicken marsala a few nights ago.

24318553291_906e69c64a_c.jpg

Served it with roasted potatoes, peppers, and onions which I didn't take a picture of sadly.

Turned out pretty well overall.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
A friend came over for dinner but brought a selection of mystery ingredients to raise the challenge level.

The result was fried rabbit leg with pomegranate and tomato salsa on a medley of baby roast vegetables. Corn on the husk, halloumi, and prosciutto went unused.

So I've never had goat cheese and I saw a chicken breast stuffed recipe on food network today so I figured I'd give it a shot. So glad I just discovered Trader Joe's!

No prep pics, but this is the end result of dinner that no longer exists as of now. jk I made two breasts, so either a hell of a lunch for tomorrow or an easy dinner!

The goat cheese stuffing, I just kind of loosely followed a recipe for. The cheese, some lemon zest, fresh parsley, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and basil/oregano. Didn't have some stuff, added some other stuff, it all worked out. Stuffed the chicken with that mixture.

Seasoned the breast with salt, pepper, and paprika, then pan seared it for a couple minutes in olive oil before putting it in the broiler. As that was going, just steamed some broccoli and seasoned that with salt/pepper. Sliced a roma tomato and drizzled it with extra virgin olive oil and of course salt/pepper. Finally, just sliced some bread for dipping into extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and some basil/oregano.

Edit: Really good quick dinner. Deciding what to put into the goat cheese mixture basically took the longest. Once everything got going, dinner was done in less than 15 minutes.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Was a bit run off my feet last night cooking a three course meal for 9. I wasn't actually sure how many people were going to turn up, so I planned for 8 with scalability to 10, and just kept it simple - roast Camembert, cured meats and a German toast to share to start, scotch fillet steak with Bearnaise sauce and roast carrots, potatoes, sweet potato, and leeks for main course, and a rhubarb and custard tart with vanilla whipped cream.

Outside of serving up large amounts of finger food, that is the most people I have cooked a full dinner for. Before then I had cooked for a group of 5, though that was a 5 course meal so had different challenges. I found the hardest part was ensuring speed when trying to plate and serve so many meals at exactly the same time and not have things get cold, but it seemed to work out okay.

Was so busy I ended up not taking any photos, so below is the only photo anybody took of it (that's the main course served up).

Finally managed to use my "new" dining table and chairs to full capacity in the process too. They have been sitting idle for months.

Sounds like a nice dinner party, Mario.

I had a cooking evolution to a higher level tonight. I recently bought a digital scale and tonight while we are snowed in I used it to make brownies from scratch. My daughter is nominally the brownie baker, but we had none of our usual Ghiardelli mix. Cooking by weight is so much easier and more efficient. I wasn't confined to a series of measuring cups and spoons, you can use the mixing bowl for measurement, grams are far easier to calculate than tablespoons, ounces and pinches. I highly recommend using a scale for baking.

Zyzyxxz

Sounds like a nice dinner party, Mario.

I had a cooking evolution to a higher level tonight. I recently bought a digital scale and tonight while we are snowed in I used it to make brownies from scratch. My daughter is nominally the brownie baker, but we had none of our usual Ghiardelli mix. Cooking by weight is so much easier and more efficient. I wasn't confined to a series of measuring cups and spoons, you can use the mixing bowl for measurement, grams are far easier to calculate than tablespoons, ounces and pinches. I highly recommend using a scale for baking.

Scales are the only way to go. Volumetric measurement is consistently inconsistent for one thing.

Yup, bought my wife a commercial-grade Pelouze a few years ago for her baking, great addition for a kitchen that gets high use. For whatever reason I never use it for my bread though, probably because kneading and flouring provides/requires time for adjustment to get moisture levels right on the dough. Or I'm just lazy.

zbarron

Scales are the only way to go. Volumetric measurement is consistently inconsistent for one thing.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/11/why-mass-weight-is-not-better-than-volume-cooking-recipes.html
Here is an article by Kenji recommending a mix of both volume and mass and he has good reasoning behind it.

I don't own any measuring cups but I make regular use of my measuring spoons.

Yup, bought my wife a commercial-grade Pelouze a few years ago for her baking, great addition for a kitchen that gets high use. For whatever reason I never use it for my bread though, probably because kneading and flouring provides/requires time for adjustment to get moisture levels right on the dough. Or I'm just lazy.

Using a scale is the only way I make my bread. It makes it faster, easier and have less of a clean up.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
My mother passed away a few weeks ago, and both myself and others spoke to her abilities in the kitchen at the funeral. I was up at my parents house today and found her hand written recipe book which includes not only all my favorites of hers across decades but also recipes from the mothers of my childhood friends when they served me something tasty and I told my mother about it.

Will be therapeutic and a trip down memory lane to take all these recipes for a spin over the course of the year.

zbarron

My mother passed away a few weeks ago, and both myself and others spoke to her abilities in the kitchen at the funeral. I was up at my parents house today and found her hand written recipe book which includes not only all my favorites of hers across decades but also recipes from the mothers of my childhood friends when they served me something tasty and I told my mother about it.

Will be therapeutic and a trip down memory lane to take all these recipes for a spin over the course of the year.

Damn Mario. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I think that'll be a great way to honor her.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

my condolences.
Doing a memorial meal from those recipes is a heartwarming idea.

Sorry to hear that Mario. My condolences. It's nice to have the recipe book :)

I've been on a really tight diet for the last few weeks and it's led me to start cooking more again. I've been trying to get as much use out of the slow cooker as possible. The recipes I've found are great and pretty cheap and it lasts me for the week. I took some pics because I'm trying to catalog my diet and yoga program to help keep me to it.

Breakfast I made today. About as easy as it gets and it was great.

12670253_10205154304283278_2478624941163652626_n.jpg

2 pound chuck steak with peppers and spices, slow cooked for 8 hours.
12647020_10205128616161091_7481690377328321921_n.jpg

Results:
12647458_10205128616721105_374834266076988858_n.jpg

Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli:

12552534_10205128616241093_8633520577302092960_n.jpg

Results: This tastes amazing but it doesn't look great.
12573167_10205128616041088_4523426863368115084_n.jpg

For the Broncos Game last week: Ground Turkey Lettuce Wraps

10658545_10205082045356850_2635116044174080101_o.jpg

It's nice to enjoy cooking again. It gives me something to do as well.
I'm going to make some Chicken Chili and Vegetable Korma tomorrow to eat next week.

Now that I have my life back
and I'm done with my community service
, my spark for cooking has come back. Slow roasted another Boston butt and portioned it into slices, which oughtta last me a good deal this week. Made some red salsa to go with the corn tortillas, lettuce and cheese I got. Tomorrow I need to make a new batch of ponzu since I'm almost out, and I need to whip up some frijoles negros.

It feels good to be back to normal. :D

ColdPizza

Banned
Now that I have my life back
and I'm done with my community service
, my spark for cooking has come back. Slow roasted another Boston butt and portioned it into slices, which oughtta last me a good deal this week. Made some red salsa to go with the corn tortillas, lettuce and cheese I got. Tomorrow I need to make a new batch of ponzu since I'm almost out, and I need to whip up some frijoles negros.

It feels good to be back to normal. :D

Sounds like a interesting story for a thread.

Cooking is very therapeutic.

Sounds like a interesting story for a thread.

Cooking is very therapeutic.
I wouldn't make a thread about it considering I got my community service for a reason.
9I1LV7e.gif

But yes, cooking is extremely therapeutic. I had zero time to do it last month, so I never made anything, ate shit, and didn't work out (did plenty of manual labor to compensate). I'm more excited that I can finally take care of my body like I was before last month. Gonna go dry this month to kind of cycle out what I put my body through last month. :p

Hmm, I can't seem to find my donabe. I was looking at bibimbap recipes earlier, and now I've gone and lost my clay pot.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So I just got a huge chunk of feta cheese for which I have no use of any kind.

Is there a recipe that uses it in sizeable amounts? As far as I can see, it is mostly used as garnish or in small quantities.

Wow, fresh komatsuna at my Whole Foods. They are on point with carrying Japanese ingredients.

Snagged some and whipped up a quick stir fry of them. Pretty damned tasty, way better than mustard greens. :3

Top Bottom