• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
homemade ice cream is great, thanks for sharing!
my favorite antipasto at the moment, carpaccio from beetroot with goat cheese:
image_3.jpeg

zbarron

homemade ice cream is great, thanks for sharing!
my favorite antipasto at the moment, carpaccio from beetroot with goat cheese:
image_3.jpeg

I never got into beets but the goat cheese, pesto, and parmigiana romano or whatever the hard cheese is looks fantastic. I love the colors too.

I took the meat off at 194*F because it's time to start putting the kids to bed. Recipes suggested 203*F. This was tender and juicy. The first thought in my head was it tasted like beef butter.

Sorry for the poor photography. I just wanted a picture of it quick.
26945939646_982bc48f3e_h.jpg

The crust was too thick as evidenced by it coming off all over the plate. The flavor was great. The pepper really stood up to the surprisingly powerful beef flavor. It pulled cleanly and easily from the bone. It reminded me of a pepper crusted filet mignon except this actually had strong beef flavor, and it was more tender.

Now I just need to find a good recipe to go with it and reheat it gently tomorrow for dinner. If I want to go simple I could just chop the meat up for tacos.

Oh my god! Got an Anova and cooked a thick burger patty. So good. I dialed up the temps and times just to be a little careful for the first attempt (I am still a little worried about food safety temps.) Now to start lowering it to get to where I need it to be.

-KRS-

Made a pie yesterday with ground beef and eggs+milk+cheese as filling. I fried the beef with some garlic and onion, and added some tomato purée and oregano when it was done. Then I threw the meat into the egg/milk/cheese mixture and poured it onto the pie crust and decorated the top. Then I added another layer of cheese on top when it was almost done. Came out pretty nice! :)

zbarron

zbarron

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Still waiting for a container to arrive where I can cook larger cuts.

I had a 12 Qt square Cambro container I used until I broke it. I haven't felt like spending the money to replace it so I use my big stock pot currently. It's not as wide the Cambro but it is tall and the Anova is several inches away from the bottom. I'll often place the stock pot on my induction burner and turn that on max while I preheat the water with the Anova. Both heating elements and the circulation heats the water up nice and fast.

I really need to make yogurt in it again. That was a huge money saver.

havokex

Hi IronGAF,

Long time lurker, always jealous of everyones cooking skills in this thread! I'm looking to get a new cast iron Wok. Any recommendations on one that's not too expensive? I imagine I'll need a Wok ring as well to cook on my stove top?

Thanks in advance!

zbarron

Hi IronGAF,

Long time lurker, always jealous of everyones cooking skills in this thread! I'm looking to get a new cast iron Wok. Any recommendations on one that's not too expensive? I imagine I'll need a Wok ring as well to cook on my stove top?

Thanks in advance!
Mind if I ask why you are looking for a cast iron wok? They are traditionally made from carbon steel which has many of the same qualities as cast iron but is thinner, lighter and responds faster to heat changes. Also what will be the heat source you plan on using?
First attempt at ribeye in my Anova.

Will try some pork belly next weekend.
Looks great. Glad you are enjoying it.

havokex

Mind if I ask why you are looking for a cast iron wok? They are traditionally made from carbon steel which has many of the same qualities as cast iron but is thinner, lighter and responds faster to heat changes. Also what will be the heat source you plan on using?

I was thinking cast iron for the non-stick, i guess carbon steel would be the same? Heat source is a flat electric stove top.

zbarron

I was thinking cast iron for the non-stick, i guess carbon steel would be the same? Heat source is a flat electric stove top.
For a flat electric stovetop top you definitely want a flat bottom wok and no ring.

I'd probably go for this one. It's carbon steel, heavy guage and the handles look comfortable. Make sure to season it before use though. Also do you have a grill? Wok's work best with super high heats and a charcoal grill or charcoal chimney is a great way to give it. You could also use the base of a Turkey Fryer if you want to go a little crazy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VQIP4/ref=s9_simh_gw_g79_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=174W896CEKGQW96VBH70&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=5d23eaf6-6278-49c1-b6df-7de0cb9b3a26&pf_rd_i=desktop

This one is lighter weight and has wood handles if you prefer

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AQSWMU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

havokex

For a flat electric stovetop top you definitely want a flat bottom wok and no ring.

I'd probably go for this one. It's carbon steel, heavy guage and the handles look comfortable. Make sure to season it before use though. Also do you have a grill? Wok's work best with super high heats and a charcoal grill or charcoal chimney is a great way to give it. You could also use the base of a Turkey Fryer if you want to go a little crazy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VQIP4/ref=s9_simh_gw_g79_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=174W896CEKGQW96VBH70&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=5d23eaf6-6278-49c1-b6df-7de0cb9b3a26&pf_rd_i=desktop

This one is lighter weight and has wood handles if you prefer

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AQSWMU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Unfortunately no grill, just the stove top. I'll take a look at those, thanks!

Had pre party drinks round at my place last night, so made some hand cut wedges and pork belly sliders to feed the crowd.

Tried my hand at my second curry ever, with a chicken, sweet potato, and cashew nut combination. Took my time layering the spices, not skimping on ingredients, and properly browning/caramelizing at each step. The result was great tasting with so much depth. Just about to heat up my leftovers for lunch :)
Can I just say that all of this looks absolutely delicious, your friends better have given you the highest of fives.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yep! Just made strawberry shortcake in it as an experiment and it came out super fluffy too. Rice cookers are pretty rad cooking vessels :>

I love what people are able to make in rice cookers, and your dish looks fantastic.

I don't think my waistline would like me getting one though :/

I still suck at making cheese plates. Here's one I made on Saturday at work. Owner is on vacation, so I had to fill in for him and do the plates that got ordered on the weekend.

E7DhQkz.jpg

It doesn't look bad but unless those flowers are edible, I wouldn't have put them on that plate. That's just my opinion tho. Still looks delicious despite that.

He puts flowers and other weird stuff on his plates all the time. I'm quite the novice, meanwhile he's been in food professionally for at least 20 years.

I'm not sure about my feelings on the subject yet, so I just try to keep my head down and follow through as it were. For me, I was using it to break up the plate in lieu of being able to add more items.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
First and most important rule in plating:

The Dish belongs to the guest, meaning every component on the plate must by all means be confirmed to be edible. So if you are in doubt if the blossoms are edible, don't serve them to customers.

the white blossom on that plate is a chrysanthemum which is poisonous to humans.

Zyzyxxz

I've rarely had edible flowers that tasted good. Yes they were "edible" but they rarely ever improve the dish. Only flowers I've had that work for me are chive blossoms or daikon flowers. But like 90% of edible flowers are bullshit IMO and a waste of money.

I've rarely had edible flowers that tasted good. Yes they were "edible" but they rarely ever improve the dish. Only flowers I've had that work for me are chive blossoms or daikon flowers. But like 90% of edible flowers are bullshit IMO and a waste of money.

You ate the chive blossom? We just use them for infused oils, very pretty in the bottles of course.

First and most important rule in plating:

The Dish belongs to the guest, meaning every component on the plate must by all means be confirmed to be edible. So if you are in doubt if the blossoms are edible, don't serve them to customers.

the white blossom on that plate is a chrysanthemum which is poisonous to humans.

OK now my feelings have solidified on the subject and I'm just going to disagree here. We used to sell edible flowers, no one bought them. No one around here would eat the flowers and they know not to. Decorative items are actually appreciated by the customers because they point to them first when we show them theirs "Ooo look at that pretty flower!!".

I do appreciate the feedback however, even if we don't see eye to eye.

Zoe

Putting decorative flowers on there seems risky to me. My mother would have broken out into hives if she were given a plate with a chrysanthemum.

Zyzyxxz

OK now my feelings have solidified on the subject and I'm just going to disagree here. We used to sell edible flowers, no one bought them. No one around here would eat the flowers and they know not to. Decorative items are actually appreciated by the customers because they point to them first when we show them theirs "Ooo look at that pretty flower!!".

I do appreciate the feedback however, even if we don't see eye to eye.

There's other ways to make your plate look beautiful or to add color without risking poisonous flowers.

Edible garnishes made out of cheap veges such as cucumbers, carrots, etc.

Frankly, if its a charcuterie plate, the beauty of the products alone should speak for themselves. Its a meat and cheese board with accompaniments. It doesnt need frills to it unless its done with edible components like veg flowers, edible flowers, & etc like mentioned.

zbarron

Made Japanese pancakes last night and they came out delicious :)
I've never had these but I've made dorayaki before.

I'm making breakfast for my brothers and their families that're visiting Monday morning. I'm making Nutella stuffed dorayaki, strawberry and whipped cream dorayaki, scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, and coffee. People are bringing donuts, fruit and juice. I'm going to be cooking all of this on a gas grill. All together it's going to be 6 adults and 5 kids. I'm a little nervous but I think I kept it relatively simple.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
took a day off today and visited our deep frying neighbors in dutchland :)
first, a stop at the McD for the local "specialites":
McKroket:
image_10.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

"Dutch Special":
image_7.jpeg

image_6.jpeg

"Bitterballen":
image_11.jpeg

image_12.jpeg

well, had to get the real stuff right after that:
image_9.jpeg

image_8.jpeg

image_13.jpeg

Thanks to the friendly people of Roermond and Venlo :)

So I am in Savannah, GA with the wifey on my US trip. Went for dinner yesterday to Ye Olde Pink House. Got this beauty:

VjJj5ZW.jpg

Crispy Fried Lobster Tail with bacon mashed potatoes

It was delicious

Over the weekend I made a lemon tart, using the pate brisee recipe and lemon tart recipe from Joy of Cooking (from around 2005).

Probably the most successful pastry I've made, having only done three or four few batches now. It's quite hard, very difficult to cut, but snaps nicely and easily and definitely has distinct flaky layers. I think I either overbaked it or overworked it somehow, but took great care when cutting in the butter and also when rolling it out.

Funny, I made crema catalana, which is basically a citrus infused version of the crème brulée.
Oh yeah, I have a blowtorch that I've never even used! I bought it so I could do a creme brulee. Thanks for the reminder! Looks great too.

Oh and I've only ever made choux with the assistance of my wife, really need to get around to making that too.

zbarron

The breakfast went great. I ended up cooking it indoors though which probably made it a lot easier. Bacon in the oven, a dozen scrambled eggs in the wok and the pancakes went on an electric skillet.
So I am in Savannah, GA with the wifey on my US trip. Went for dinner yesterday to Ye Olde Pink House. Got this beauty:

VjJj5ZW.jpg

Crispy Fried Lobster Tail with bacon mashed potatoes

It was delicious
That looks great. I've never heard of deep frying lobster tail. Around me the market price is $42 a tail last time I checked so they're usually done all fancy.
It's not cooking exactly, but I made a shark.
That's awesome. It reminds me of a garnish book I had as a kid.
51xwczuowal._sy355_ibu04.jpg

I made the shark on the cover many times. With watermelon I usually made picnic baskets but yours looks way better.

That looks great. I've never heard of deep frying lobster tail. Around me the market price is $42 a tail last time I checked so they're usually done all fancy.

When you are in the South, everything can be deep fried.

Though I honestly liked this more than the usual steamed lobster.

My eleven year old shark-loving daughter thinks you're a genius.

And I love that she love sharks. :D Send her my regards. Can't take credit for the idea, though. Did think overall that it came out pretty sweet, however.

Hell, my 36 yo self thinks it's cute af.

Thanks! It was for my niece's 1st birthday party. No one asked for it, but all the food was so girly and hipster that I felt it needed a little danger.

That's awesome. It reminds me of a garnish book I had as a kid.
51xwczuowal._sy355_ibu04.jpg

I made the shark on the cover many times. With watermelon I usually made picnic baskets but yours looks way better.

Cheers~ And wish I'd had a garnish book as a kid. Shark zucchini would have made dinner time far more exciting.

The Shark is adorable!
Thank you for sharing. This goes for all the recent contributions.

Thank ya. I like that it kind of looks like a Mario Chain Chomp. ^_^

And, this is one of my favorite threads, though I'm more of a lurker. Not often I have something worth posting compared to all the chefs on here. Everything just looks so dang good/professional.

That is awesome, H.Pro! Very creative.

Danke, danke. Might try for a T-Rex next time.

zbarron

Tonight I made chicken satay skewers with a peanut coconut milk sauce and some sriracha.
27371636596_e3b9dfe929_b.jpg

It was wife approved. She requested we add this to the rotation of recipes we know we like.

sinxtanx

I always mean to take pictures of my food and post it here but always forget about it

here's a cheeseburger I made like a month ago

58IkGs9.jpg

Top Bottom