• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Post gym workout meal for me and my friend - Scotch fillet steak with Béarnaise sauce on mashed avocado, pan fried brocollini, and a spinach, watercress, leek, strawberry, shaved almond and Brie salad

13355616_1619139468401121_724947377_n.jpg

Cooked Lamb after 2+ Years. Turned out pretty great.

Roasted Leg of Lamb, Red Wine Reduction with Shallots and some Mustard
Roasted red potatoes with onions

uYGc0yu.jpg

bBXFiXu.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Personal project at work: a brown rice poppy sourdough I've been trying to perfect before it goes onto our production schedule
13166974b_zpsaxk5gamd.jpg

Hundreds of English muffins every day. A little labor-intensive, but the best you'll ever have.
2016-05-31%2002.54.26%201_zps2wvq3tgq.jpg
2016-05-31%2002.54.25%201_zpslvq8pxz3.jpg

Couple of dinners since moving into our new place (with a smaller kitchen, nooo)
Chicken vindaloo(ish) - dunno how authentic this was, but it tasted great and I'm not always big on Indian food
2016-06-02%2008.21.47%201_zpsltjqhhge.jpg

4-hour pork blade, black eyed peas, kale, corn, mashed taters, pilsner gravy, sage blossoms
2016-06-03%2009.14.41%201_zpsbptv9wlh.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm no culinary genius like the others in here, but I can make stir fry chicken.

tAzlTfQ.jpg

zbarron

That's awesome OnkelC. Was this event for work or just for fun? If it was for fun where did you get the booth?I'm glad it went so well. Did you use a 2 zone setup or just even amount of charcoal over the whole area?

I picked up a 38 oz/1.08 kg porterhouse from the butcher. I'll be cooking it sous vide and finishing it off on the grill for tomorrow night's dinner. I'll post pictures. This thing is beautiful.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
It was pure leisure for our annual family fest. The stand was from a friend butcher. I used 1/2 full heat, 1/4 half heat and 1/4 without charcoal to store the finished goods.

No pics, but I marinated some chicken thighs in garlic, olive oil, freshly chopped sage/rosemary/thyme, fresh lemon juice, and salt/pepper then roasted the crap out of it in a cast iron on the stove top and oven. Was amazing.

Made some sautéed green beans with it. Included just the beans, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt/pepper for a few min.

Very basic I guess, but very good. Happy I'll have some leftovers for tomorrow!

http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/best-kitchen-scale/

This is one of my favorite review sites for this kind of stuff. They test the products extensively and give detailed reasons why they made their choice.

We used those in my kitchen for a little while but they break too easily and moisture destroys them quickly. :/

We switched over to this one and its been a dream especially for weighing out 500x batches of bread dough:

41LHkOqc9xL.jpg

We use a small commercial Pelouze, close to this but older. We went through a bunch of cheap battery powered scales before saying fuck it and getting something durable and that plugged into a wall.

zbarron

Amazing steak night. Lots of pictures incoming:

Seasoned and ready to go:
26875969624_fc114993d7_b.jpg

Side view:
27385975632_1566e8591a_b.jpg

Bagged up:
26875958184_439d7112af_b.jpg

In Bath:
27415394221_a3c262f07d_b.jpg

Out of the Water:
27452815916_52e55592e1_b.jpg

Dried:
27452806756_cb4dc50fb1_b.jpg

Coated in melted Butter:
27210415200_bb1db6194a_b.jpg

Weber Smokey Joe filled to the top grate with cherry wood and Stubbs Charcoal (Chimney wasn't wide enough):
27388315062_6dc25fef17_b.jpg

Steak on the Grill:
27415377471_b0355d77d5_b.jpg

Done:
26879616753_c03b591cd7_b.jpg

Sliced:
27388302342_d6f85dde3a_b.jpg

Baked Potatoes with butter and Sour Cream for the side:
27388294952_73ee1bc712_b.jpg

This was far from an everyday meal but it was really nice for a change. It was a little over $20 for the both of us which we can easily spend on fast food. This will be good motivation to get fast food less when I know I can get this for the same price.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Thanks everyone on the nice comments. I won't be makinga steak like that again any time soon but it was so worth it.

I got 28 as well. Question 14 is messed up. I clicked false and it marks me incorrect and in the description for true it says it's false. I got 15 wrong since I just didn't know it.

Yeah, they scored that wrong. Got 27 :(

Made some sous vide steak with bearnaise, asparagus and a salad.

Question 14 is what got me too. You click true and then it says its false.....wat. :l

bearnaise is the death of me. I could eat that with malt vinegar french fries forever.

Zyzyxxz

Yeah, they scored that wrong. Got 27 :(

Made some sous vide steak with bearnaise, asparagus and a salad.

wow that looks great.

Testing a new ramen recipe. Hopefully it will be restaurant worthy. It is going to be chicken based and if you're in the Los Angeles area hopefully you guys can come try it next week?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah remind me not to post my peasant food in here ever again.

You guys are too good at this.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Question 14 is what got me too. You click true and then it says its false.....wat. :l

bearnaise is the death of me. I could eat that with malt vinegar french fries forever.

wow that looks great.

Testing a new ramen recipe. Hopefully it will be restaurant worthy. It is going to be chicken based and if you're in the Los Angeles area hopefully you guys can come try it next week?

Thanks! Made it using beef tallow instead of butter. Turned out a bit thicker than usually, but still tasted great.

Nonsense, go ahead!

Also, I ate a ton of hamburger helper during college. So don't knock it :p

snacknuts

we all knew her
Last night I made burger patties out of some homemade beer sausage. Cooked those in a skillet (I wanted to grill them, but the grind on the sausage was a little too coarse and the patties were falling apart. Put those on some toasted buns with mayo, spicy mustard, beer braised onions, and a slice of Muenster. I didn't take any pics because it was an unsightly mess, but my god was it good.

Post a bowl of cereal, man. It's about enjoying your food, not knocking everyone's socks off.

zbarron

Post a bowl of cereal, man. It's about enjoying your food, not knocking everyone's socks off.
That's a good way to put it. As the OP states:
Food goes in here.

Everything goes.
I've posted nice looking dishes and ones that I've utterly ruined. I used to be intimidated by this thread, but it's a great resource to improve as a cook. Everyone in here is very helpful. Recipes can get you part of the way there but sometimes you need other people who have cooked the food before to help troubleshoot when things don't go as planned.

ColdPizza

Banned
Fine then, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm giving Blue Apron a trial run. So far I made a beef & lamb tagine and a muffaletta grilled cheese. Both were pretty damn good.

Sorry no pics!

/runs

snacknuts

we all knew her
Fine then, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm giving Blue Apron a trial run. So far I made a beef & lamb tagine and a muffaletta grilled cheese. Both were pretty damn good.

Sorry no pics!

/runs

Don't be ashamed. My wife and I have been using Home Chef for a few months and it's been pretty good.
  • The recipes themselves are usually pretty tasty.
  • We don't waste as much food from having to buy more than we need to make a recipe.
  • We eat out less because we're not getting screwed over by being too lazy to go to the grocery.

It seems like the quality of the ingredients they've been sending has been in decline recently, though, so I am going to give Blue Apron a try myself.

ColdPizza

Banned
Don't be ashamed. My wife and I have been using Home Chef for a few months and it's been pretty good.
  • The recipes themselves are usually pretty tasty.
  • We don't waste as much food from having to buy more than we need to make a recipe.
  • We eat out less because we're not getting screwed over by being too lazy to go to the grocery.

It seems like the quality of the ingredients they've been sending has been in decline recently, though, so I am going to give Blue Apron a try myself.

Everything was packaged pretty nicely, and the recipes were printed on real nice glossy cardstock, which is nice because I can use a 3 hole punch and add them to a binder for re-use.

I did get one bad bulb of garlic, luckily I had some at home anyway. My friend uses Blue Apron as well and notified them that he got something that was rotten and they gave him a $10 credit which I thought was pretty nice.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Everything was packaged pretty nicely, and the recipes were printed on real nice glossy cardstock, which is nice because I can use a 3 hole punch and add them to a binder for re-use.

I did get one bad bulb of garlic, luckily I had some at home anyway. My friend uses Blue Apron as well and notified them that he got something that was rotten and they gave him a $10 credit which I thought was pretty nice.

Hm, interesting. There have been a couple times where we've had to complain about the same thing, and I think in both instances we were given full credit for the order.

ColdPizza

Banned
Hm, interesting. There have been a couple times where we've had to complain about the same thing, and I think in both instances we were given full credit for the order.

You can sign up for a free week and they'll send you 3 meals. They'll need your CC info tho and you'll have to cancel if you're not interested in continuing.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

Horsecrap, go ahead and proudly show us pics of your hamburger helper! I will enjoy them!

Nonsense, go ahead!

Also, I ate a ton of hamburger helper during college. So don't knock it :p

That's a good way to put it. As the OP states:

I've posted nice looking dishes and ones that I've utterly ruined. I used to be intimidated by this thread, but it's a great resource to improve as a cook. Everyone in here is very helpful. Recipes can get you part of the way there but sometimes you need other people who have cooked the food before to help troubleshoot when things don't go as planned.

I couldn't have said it any better. everything goes.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Convenience Wednesday:

I got a jar of garlic pesto and a jar of ragu piemontese as presents, which were served for tonights dinner:

both were surprisingly good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
To up the culinary ante a bit, have some toasted cheese with pickled beetroots, everybody!
image_2.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

9E5CFD51-B97E-46BC-A1B9-938AC8B3EB57.jpg

And when the sun has set, it's time for a dessert of the GODS!
25A417AE-5ABB-4834-B57E-5FE980C0F247.jpg

Zyzyxxz

only you can make grilled cheese look so good Onkel.

I'm working on a new ramen for a popup I'm hoping to roll out soon and if it works out I may turn it more permanent. If you're in the Los Angeles area let me know if you'd be interested in attending the soft launch. I'm doing a tori paitan inspired ramen.

It's basically the chicken version of tonkotsu but but without the pork bones. It's rich and creamy but not as coma inducing as its pork lard laden cousin. I'm planning to serve it with pork belly chashu, scallion, dried sea lettuce, marinated bamboo shoots, and an soft boiled marinated egg.

Marutama inspired ramen by johnlee104@gmail.com, on Flickr

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz, that is some mighty fine looking Ramen! I'd swap Toasted cheese for a bowl of that in a 20:1 ratio.
Best of luck with the opening!

only you can make grilled cheese look so good Onkel.

I'm working on a new ramen for a popup I'm hoping to roll out soon and if it works out I may turn it more permanent. If you're in the Los Angeles area let me know if you'd be interested in attending the soft launch. I'm doing a tori paitan inspired ramen.

It's basically the chicken version of tonkotsu but but without the pork bones. It's rich and creamy but not as coma inducing as its pork lard laden cousin. I'm planning to serve it with pork belly chashu, scallion, dried sea lettuce, marinated bamboo shoots, and an soft boiled marinated egg.

Marutama inspired ramen by johnlee104@gmail.com, on Flickr

I may have missed you in Chicago but I swear when I come to LA, you are the first person I will hit up. I want to experience your cooking !

Also that ramen looks and sounds awesome. Good luck with your pop up ! :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
When we were still living in Bonn, it was kind of a jour fixe that my wife and me picked up my parents friday night and had dinner at an italian restaurant (lots of pics in the two home style cooking threads, links in the first post here.). When we moved to cologne, I kind of missed this ritual. Luckily, we found a pizzeria near our new flat that makes an awesome pizza in a wood-fired oven. So on the way home on fridays, there's this little stopover and a simple but wonderfully made Pizza as the start of the weekend :)
Strange enough, I rarely remember to take pictures of the Pizzas because we usually just dig right in as soon as I arrive home, but yesterday I was disciplined.

Prosciutto e Funghi for me:

image.jpeg

Tonno for the wife (and cat)

image_1.jpeg

9581AAC3-E8A7-45E1-82CD-15DEAD9CEB60.jpg

Top Bottom