• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
My brother and dad came over for dinner tonight. I made a roast camambert, then a scotch filler steak on salad and sweet potato hash, then put together the dessert below - maple and walnut icecream with strawberries, bananas, and walnuts pan fried in maple syrup and bourbon, topped with vanilla cream, sliced almonds, and homemade caramel sauce.

13329143_1746776408925043_948698275_n.jpg

First time I made caramel. Had a bit of a bitter smokey finish to it (though not noticeable when mixed with the other stuff), so I think the sugar was on the heat a smidgen too long before adding the butter and cream.

le-seb

Looks delicious.

Some tricks I use that could help you next time:
- Regularly "shake" the pan while the caramel's cooking, so that all the sugar cooks uniformly
- Take the pan off the fire as soon as your caramel has reached the desired color, and add cream to stop the cooking (use warm cream here to prevent some thermal shock)
- Get your pan back on a very gentle fire, and stir until all the sugar has dissolved into the cream
- Include butter then

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Looks delicious.

Some tricks I use that could help you next time:
- Regularly "shake" the pan while the caramel's cooking, so that all the sugar cooks uniformly
- Take the pan off the fire as soon as your caramel has reached the desired color, and add cream to stop the cooking (use warm cream here to prevent some thermal shock)
- Get your pan back on a very gentle fire, and stir until all the sugar has dissolved into the cream
- Include butter then

That's pretty much what I did. The cooking eveness and adding the other stuff went really well.

I think the problem was the couple of recipes I looked at both said the desired colour was a "dark amber" and even removing from the heat straight away took it further than I wanted through the latent heat in the pot. I think I have a better handle on when the right point is for next time.

zbarron

That's pretty much what I did. The cooking eveness and adding the other stuff went really well.

I think the problem was the couple of recipes I looked at both said the desired colour was a "dark amber" and even removing from the heat straight away took it further than I wanted through the latent heat in the pot. I think I have a better handle on when the right point is for next time.

The color/taste is basically a personal preference. Too light and it's one note and just sweet. Burn it and it's just bitter. Get it in between and it has more of a complexity to it where that bitter smokey finish you described tempers the extreme sweetness. If it was too bitter this time go a little lighter next time.

Scroll down to the 5 streaks of caramel on the plate. Did yours look like #2?
http://runawayrice.com/sauces-pickles/caramel-sauce-nuoc-mau/

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The color/taste is basically a personal preference. Too light and it's one note and just sweet. Burn it and it's just bitter. Get it in between and it has more of a complexity to it where that bitter smokey finish you described tempers the extreme sweetness. If it was too bitter this time go a little lighter next time.

Scroll down to the 5 streaks of caramel on the plate. Did yours look like #2?
http://runawayrice.com/sauces-pickles/caramel-sauce-nuoc-mau/

Actually closer to the far right. Maybe I had it right and I was just thrown by the bitterness as I wasn't expecting that at all.

zbarron

Actually closer to the far right. Maybe I had it right and I was just thrown by the bitterness as I wasn't expecting that at all.

Yeah you cooked it correctly according to the recipe. I personally like it like this since i used it to top other sweet things like brownies and ice cream, but if you prefer it like #4 make it how you like it.

le-seb

I personally would stop the cooking at #3.
Not sure whether this changes anything, but I also don't use any water when making caramel.
sauce-au-caramel-beurre-sale-etape-1.jpg

zbarron

I personally would stop the cooking at #3.
Not sure whether this changes anything, but I also don't use any water when making caramel.
sauce-au-caramel-beurre-sale-etape-1.jpg

#1, #3, and #5 are all the correct color with #1 being too thin. #2 is too dark and #4 is too light. I don't know why they did it this way. I used to have a better picture all the way from colorless to black and describing the tastes in each step but I'm struggling to find it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
was lazy today and invited the wife out for lunch :)

she had a open faced coldcut sandwich, I went for a tatare:
image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Dinner for one tonight - Roast pork belly on a green apple and peanut butter slaw.

My plan was to make the roast, eat half, then use the rest for work lunch sandwiches over the next few days.

However, it was the best pork belly I have ever made, and I ate it all, roughly two portions of the plate at the top. I feel sick. I regret nothing.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That is how it should be, Mario! :)
thanks for sharing.

For me, the culinary week started bland, had a serving of Miracoli yesterday and today will be some frozen convenience shit, dunno what exactly it'll be, though.
smallP1020767.jpg

Dinner for one tonight - Roast pork belly on a green apple and peanut butter slaw.

My plan was to make the roast, eat half, then use the rest for work lunch sandwiches over the next few days.

However, it was the best pork belly I have ever made, and I ate it all, roughly two portions of the plate at the top. I feel sick. I regret nothing.

Looks delish.

Dunfisch

Pray tell and share the recipe if you feel like it, those pictures cause obscene feelings in me.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Pray tell and share the recipe if you feel like it, those pictures cause obscene feelings in me.

Score pork belly fat in horizontal or grid lines about 1.5cm apart, avoiding cutting all the way through the fat. Cost lightly in olive oil, and season all over with salt, pepper, and chopped thyme and rosemary. Rub seasoning into the flesh and push into groves.

Cut enough Granny Smith apples in half to support the meat and place skin side down, exposed flesh side up in a roasting tray. Add some additional fragrant herbs in between. Place meat on top of apples skin side up.

Roast in oven at 150 Celsius with fan and both elements for 1 hour. Then add some apple cider or white wine into the bottom of the tray. Roast for another hour at same temperature. Then turn oven up to full strength about 250 Celsius, turning off the fan, and only with the top element on. Watch closely over the next 15-20 minutes until top skin/fat is crispy, bubbly, and golden. You can tap on the top with tongs or a knife to test crispiness. Careful not to burn the skin. Remove from oven and rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting with a very sharp knife (bread knife actually works well for this).

For the slaw, I shredded some red cabbage, grated some carrot, and chopped some parsley. Then peeled and sliced half a Granny Smith apple. Add all into bowl, then add a little olive oil and mayo. Add a heaped tablespoon of crunchy and hopefully spicy peanut butter. Mix until everything is well coated and peanut butter broken up and spread around.

!

Dunfisch

That sounds absolutely delicious! Think I'll prep it next friday, got a poker game with some friends and it looks like it could hit the spot perfectly. Oh, my local butcher will be pleased, gonna get myself some pork belly.

Oh hi! Long time no post ;)

13388616_839104519567702_1219434772_n.jpg

chermoula beans (what kind are these? They were fresh, green, and huge. Not favas)
chermoula sole
patatas bravas w/ vegan harissa 'mayo'

So happy that outside dining season is here in LA.

Oh hi! Long time no post ;)

13388616_839104519567702_1219434772_n.jpg

chermoula beans (what kind are these? They were fresh, green, and huge. Not favas)
chermoula sole
patatas bravas w/ vegan harissa 'mayo'

So happy that outside dining season is here in LA.

There are different type of fava beans so its hard to say. They could also maybe be lima beans?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I had some good japanese Tofu from the asien supermarket.

I can't stand the tofu sold in germany. I really really don't like it. Yet the kind I ate in japan and I can buy in the asien store? I could eat it every day.

Put the tofu between paper towels for one hour to get water out. Coat it with 片栗粉 which is a starch sold in japan, but you can use any kind of starch you like. If I can't buy 片栗粉 I usually use starch made from corn.

Fry the tofu until golden brown on each side, use a paper towel to absorb any leftover oil and pour a sauce over it made from

2 tbs sugar
2 tbs mirin
3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sake

that's enough sauce for 2-3 people.

let it reduce a bit and well..done.

Zyzyxxz

I had some good japanese Tofu from the asien supermarket.

I can't stand the tofu sold in germany. I really really don't like it. Yet the kind I ate in japan and I can buy in the asien store? I could eat it every day.

Put the tofu between paper towels for one hour to get water out. Coat it with 片栗粉 which is a starch sold in japan, but you can use any kind of starch you like. If I can't buy 片栗粉 I usually use starch made from corn.

Fry the tofu until golden brown on each side, use a paper towel to absorb any leftover oil and pour a sauce over it made from

2 tbs sugar
2 tbs mirin
3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sake

that's enough sauce for 2-3 people.

let it reduce a bit and well..done.

Have you ever considered making your own tofu? It's not that hard but you will need to source quality dried soybeans but even regular GMO soybeans should provide better tofu than the commercial ones. And you will need a coagulent. You can use gypsum salts but the flavor does affect it from what a prominent tofu maker told me. There are types of seawater coagulants called "nigari" and you should be able to order a small bottle online and a little goes a long way.

Why I Prefer Teaspoons to Grams: 6 Measuring Mistakes That Derail Dessert

This was just posted on Serious Eats. I thought it was a good read that others would enjoy. I wasn't aware of the last point and while I've ruined recipes due to it before I didn't know it was how the scale did it's calculations.

That last point can be easily resolved by buying a microscale off amazon for $10. :X

Still a really fascinating read tho! I want to tinker around with this since my chef + school only taught me to use grams for everything. we do have formulas to use to calculate certain qualities of things like % of fat and how that changes the recipe + what the yield will be liquid wise along with a bunch of other science-y things involving refractometers and etc to compensate for different types of ingredients and their own types of weight.

zbarron

That last point can be easily resolved by buying a microscale off amazon for $10. :X

Still a really fascinating read tho!
No please don't add another item to my list of kitchen tools I want.
Welp, I guess I'm going to go home and check the accuracy of my measuring spoons.

It's funny you mention it. After reading the article I compared mine to a children's measuring syringe. When I filled a teaspoon with water until it was flat to the top it was about 3.75 ml. When I filled it as high as it would hold with a convex meniscus it was right on at 5 ml. I'm not sure which it's supposed to be.

zbarron

They are tiny and a worthwhile investment. They can also fit in your pocket so that you can check the accuracy of your cocaine transactions.

I'd rather accept that it's 0.12g short than call my dealer on it. I have a lot more to lose than money as he likes to remind me.

I might pick one up eventually. In the mean time does anyone know how the water level should be in my measuring spoons as I explained in my previous post? I picked these stainless steel measuring spoons up from a local restaurant supply store so just figured they were accurate.

In the mean time does anyone know how the water level should be in my measuring spoons as I explained in my previous post?

From the article:
In the United States, a tablespoon is defined as a unit of volume equal to half a fluid ounce (just shy of 15 milliliters), while a teaspoon is a unit of volume equal to one-sixth of a fluid ounce (roughly five milliliters).

So I suppose you need to fill it as high as it can hold. As to how a teaspoon should canonically be engineered, I'm not sure. Get some more and test them and see which is the most frequent?

ColdPizza

Banned
Cross post from the BBQ thread:

Well, I was worried about smoking such a large cut but in the end everything turned out fabulous.

dqpLUO2.png

Cut into the ham to give it a head start.

After that we injected the entire hog with brine and rubbed the meat.

N0ClVYS.png

About halfway through
m9MroaF.png

Awesome bark
RQrfPFz.png

Completely fall apart tender. Took the shoulder to 195
POeSWiw.png

ColdPizza

Banned
This is an impressive work, thank you for sharing it here as well!
How long did it take on the grill?

15 hours! My brother and I had to work I shifts so we could both get about 4-5 hours of sleep.

The cooker wasn't efficient at all so it took constant watching to keep the heat around 250F. I prefer smoking individual cuts of meat but my brother likes to host a pig roast once a year.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
My humble Grill dinner tonight pales in comparison to that magnificent pulled pork:
image_5.jpeg

yesterday was Bolognese day:
image.jpeg

You guys are killing me with those grill posts. I have yet to find a solid place for BBQ here in Chicago :( any recommendations would be awesome. I miss bbq foods.

Also, it's been a work in progress but I'm working towards studying pastry abroad next year. I moved to Chicago to learn pastry and worked in restaurants but I felt it wasn't enough education wise. Considering I took a 6 month program for the cost of $24,000, I walked away feeling I hardly learned about what I cared for most there, each module was only 2 weeks also. I regret that experience, frankly. I wasn't satisfied with my education and for the cost, I realize I pretty much got ripped off. I'm looking into a pastry school in Japan which will be for 2 years that offers a full ride scholarship for international students. It also only costs a little over $10,000 for the whole program. Got their course guide and information today in the mail finally. It's going to take a lot of work but I'm giving this my all :)

ColdPizza

Banned
You guys are killing me with those grill posts. I have yet to find a solid place for BBQ here in Chicago :( any recommendations would be awesome. I miss bbq foods.

Also, it's been a work in progress but I'm working towards studying pastry abroad next year. I moved to Chicago to learn pastry and worked in restaurants but I felt it wasn't enough education wise. Considering I took a 6 month program for the cost of $24,000, I walked away feeling I hardly learned about what I cared for most there, each module was only 2 weeks also. I regret that experience, frankly. I wasn't satisfied with my education and for the cost, I realize I pretty much got ripped off. I'm looking into a pastry school in Japan which will be for 2 years that offers a full ride scholarship for international students. It also only costs a little over $10,000 for the whole program. Got their course guide and information today in the mail finally. It's going to take a lot of work but I'm giving this my all :)

Don't know about the local joints but I do know Dinosaur BBQ just opened a Chicago location. I highly recommend them.

zbarron

It's more of a grill place than a BBQ place but you have a Weber Grill Restaurant in Chicago that I am very jealous of.

Do you speak the language?

It's more of a grill place than a BBQ place but you have a Weber Grill Restaurant in Chicago that I am very jealous of.

Do you speak the language?

Currently working towards being fluent. I'm more concerned with writing it than speaking it. Been spending a few hours a day practicing tho. I want to take the language exam here in Chicago this December since there are tiers to work through (N5 through N1, N1 being perfect in both reading and writing). Registration is in August.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Currently working towards being fluent. I'm more concerned with writing it than speaking it. Been spending a few hours a day practicing tho. I want to take the language exam here in Chicago this December since there are tiers to work through (N5 through N1, N1 being perfect in both reading and writing). Registration is in August.

if you need any help/stuff for studying or anything else feel free to send me a message. I've a lot of japanese studies books in english as pdfs from my time at the university. Especially if you are in the jlpt 3-2 range :)

zbarron

What kind of grill are you using OnkelC? I mostly use a Weber kettle but for certain times like tonight the gas is nice.

At the butcher they had 5 lbs of the kind of fries they serve in restaurants for $5. I picked up a bag and cooked some for dinner tonight.
27705674881_93fe054012_b.jpg

This is only after the first (smaller test) batch, but I liked my setup. I put one of those scoops of fries in when the oil reaches 400*F. After the bubbles get big and slow I transfer it to the half sheet pan over the gas grill on low and salt immediately. I then push all the fries to one side and when the oil gets back up to 400*F repeat. I did four batches.

They turned out well but taste wise I prefer fresh cut. Still these were far easier and made less of a mess which is always a plus in my book.

Pretty simple tonight. Well let's be honest, every night is simple with me I guess.

Chicken thighs in homemade honey mustard sauce with some herbs. Also some jasmine rice. Have some leftover roasted broccoli that I will heat up once everything else is done. Off to the oven!

Honey mustard was made with raw honey, Dijon, a bit of olive oil, and salt/pepper.

zbarron

Happy Father's Day IronGAF. I hope all you other dads had a day of fun, good food and the maturity that comes from being a responsible parent.
27169737843_69d1fa782d_b.jpg

This was my celebration dessert.

Zyzyxxz

What about Green Street Smoked Meats? I thought it was pretty good for Chicago.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
What kind of grill are you using OnkelC? I mostly use a Weber kettle but for certain times like tonight the gas is nice.

mainly a barebones Webber Kettle (which needs to be replaced soon, the Grilles start to corrode):
IMG_0264_DxO_raw800x600.jpg

Sometimes just a Smokey Joe for smaller batches:
IMG_0557800x600.jpg

And because I like to grill, I sometimes put a Grill on my Grill so I can grill while I grill:
110501Mix009800x600.jpg

;)

The desire for a gas powered Grill is growing in me, but I can't justify buying one right now. firing the charcoal one up with a charcoal chimney is a matter of 20-25 minutes and for the two of us, it's just the right size and durability. I envy erveryone who has one, though.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

That's a lot of moollah. Have you looked at the Basque Culinary Center?

I'm not sure if they offer something to your liking, but just in case.

zbarron

mainly a barebones Webber Kettle (which needs to be replaced soon, the Grilles start to corrode):

Sometimes just a Smokey Joe for smaller batches:

And because I like to grill, I sometimes put a Grill on my Grill so I can grill while I grill:

;)

The desire for a gas powered Grill is growing in me, but I can't justify buying one right now. firing the charcoal one up with a charcoal chimney is a matter of 20-25 minutes and for the two of us, it's just the right size and durability. I envy erveryone who has one, though.
Very nice. That Kettle is called the Jumbo Joe Premium here. Mine is the same diameter but the bowl and lid are taller as well as some other features. This is the model I have. I got it for cheaper though as basically an open box one.

I also have the Smokey Joe but in Black. They're nice grills. I can't blame you for grill stacking. My only complaint with the Smokey Joe is how low to the ground it is.

Honestly I never use the gas grill for grilling. Mostly because the grates are coated in a thick layer of rust, but I prefer the taste I get with the charcoal. As you said lighting it takes a bit but I start it in the chimney and use that time to do more prep work. It does have a decent side gas burner and since we only have electric stoves in the house I like using that. Also As you can see from my picture I put a cast iron griddle on the far left side and that's handy. You're not missing out on much in my opinion. I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a Turkey Fryer or an insanely high BTU Propane burner, It's not mine to trade though.

Top Bottom