• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

thespot84

Second try at doing a sous vide ribeye.

nFNcSLZ.jpg

OzKZqcA.jpg

AHNl8zi.jpg

Came out much better. This was a giant hunk of meat, got 3 steaks nearly the same size at Costco for a shade under 30 bucks.

10 bucks for a perfectly cooked massive steak is a bargain.

I'm curious to try doing burgers via sous vide though.

what temp was that?

Didn't take photos but the misses made Gozleme from scratch last night and it was delicious. Two more leftover in the fridge to cook so I'll grab some photos when I can later. Our son scoffed them down and had seconds, our daughter wasn't keen though...even though she's loved them before.

Spun the weber up first time tonight, grilled some chicken I had marinating. Definitely going to take me some time. Couple thoughts:

I only used 1 of the charcoal baskets as i was only making food for me and my gf, but it seemed like I probably should have used 2 anyway.

The gas ignition started worked to light the coals, but really have no clue how long to leave the gas on them. Tonight I did it until the bottom coals were hot then let it hang out for maybe 10-15 min with the lid on until the coals were almost ashy on the outside (i was super hungry)

Going to try some burgers on it tomorrow. I usually exclusively make burgers in my cast iron on the stove but want to give this a shot. Been reading methods and some say direct the entire time, other say quick sear then finish indirect. Any suggestions?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The gas ignition started worked to light the coals, but really have no clue how long to leave the gas on them. Tonight I did it until the bottom coals were hot then let it hang out for maybe 10-15 min with the lid on until the coals were almost ashy on the outside (i was super hungry)

Going to try some burgers on it tomorrow. I usually exclusively make burgers in my cast iron on the stove but want to give this a shot. Been reading methods and some say direct the entire time, other say quick sear then finish indirect. Any suggestions?

First of all, congrats on the grill, looks awesome.

Charcoal is perfect when the complete surface has a light white ashy exterior.

Direct or indirect for the patties is a question of their thickness. for rather flat ones, I'd advise direct heat, for thicker ones, I'd go for the sear, then indirect route.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Girlfriend bought her first apartment. We plan to renovate it and rent it to pay the loan, which luckily enough is tiny (ancient, tiny place built 50 years ago).

I'm mostly excited because I get to build a new kitchen with my own hands.

zbarron

Spun the weber up first time tonight, grilled some chicken I had marinating. Definitely going to take me some time. Couple thoughts:

I only used 1 of the charcoal baskets as i was only making food for me and my gf, but it seemed like I probably should have used 2 anyway.

Charcoal is almost opposite of gas in that putting the lid on actually lowers temperature. I'd leave the lid off when lighting next time which will feed more oxygen to the coals. As OnkelC said you want the coals ashed over. Also make sure your vents are wide open if you're going for grilling.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif

The new Ikea catalogue will be available on September 1st
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif

I know many people laugh at Ikea, but their kitchen cabinets and some of their kitchenware (pots, pans, containers and even garlic presses) are not only cheap, but surprisingly high quality. New catalogue means they are going to put on a huge sale, so any IronGaffers would do right by keeping an eye on their local Ikea shops to score some deals. I've seen folks setting up entire new kitchens at a 30% discount on top of the usual deals.

Signed,

Your resident Ikea fanboy.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just marinated some Salmon in rice malt for dinner.

and about the kitchen stuff from ikea: they sell some really great iron pots called Senior in germany. just take a good look at them before buying that there are no scratches.

Anyone have any recommendations for solid kitchen islands that aren't ridiculously expensive? Or a nice DIY?

I live in a studio and use the tiniest amount of counter space. It's beginning to kill me :(

zbarron

Anyone have any recommendations for solid kitchen islands that aren't ridiculously expensive? Or a nice DIY?

I live in a studio and use the tiniest amount of counter space. It's beginning to kill me :(

I don't know about an island but have you tried a burner cover?
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-burner-covers-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-198710

We might be moving to a small apartment to be closer to my wife's job so I've been looking at ways to make the idea more palatable.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Ikea?

7EbS2XD.jpg

Ikea.

The Stenstorp line is legit, although I'd probably make my own. Islands are super easy to make if you have the space and the tools. The good thing about Ikea's Stenstorp is that the top is actual solid wood instead of the usual shoddy laminate, which means you can abuse it to hell and back and then oil it/clean it/sand it/replace it/whatever without issues.

ColdPizza

Banned
Ikea?

7EbS2XD.jpg

Ikea.

The Stenstorp line is legit, although I'd probably make my own. Islands are super easy to make if you have the space and the tools. The good thing about Ikea's Stenstorp is that the top is actual solid wood instead of the usual shoddy laminate, which means you can abuse it to hell and back and then oil it/clean it/sand it/replace it/whatever without issues.

Gorgeous.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Sooooo some of you might remember that I got a fryer?

Chicken katsu and some karaage that got to dark :/ but the first try went really well.
And yes I fried on the terrace again :D! Screw you neighbour above us ò_Ó

zbarron

Sooooo some of you might remember that I got a fryer?

Chicken tonkatsu and some karaage that got to dark :/ but the first try went really well.
And yes I fried on the terrace again :D! Screw you neighbour above us ò_Ó
I've never owned a deep fryer and have done all my frying in a dutch oven or wok. How does a dedicated deep fryer compare? The basket seems convenient.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ikea?

7EbS2XD.jpg

Ikea.

Ikea it is, indeed. I'd go for the cheaper Bekväm island, though. Worked like a charm for our old kitchen.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30240348/
bekvam-kitchen-cart__0451661_PE600647_S4.JPG

I've never owned a deep fryer and have done all my frying in a dutch oven or wok. How does a dedicated deep fryer compare? The basket seems convenient.
Best comparison would be boiling water on the stove to using a water cooker. A dedicated deep fryer is much more convenient to reach and keep the desired temperature of the fat / oil. The variants with a lid usually feature an active charcoal filter to keep smells at bay.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I've to say the result looked more pleasing than frying in my staub cocotte, the oil was hot really fast and the fryer kept the temperature the whole time perfectly.

Ikea?

7EbS2XD.jpg

Ikea.

I have this exact one but in black, thing is great and solid as a rock

Zyzyxxz

9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif

The new Ikea catalogue will be available on September 1st
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif
9naf50t.gif

I know many people laugh at Ikea, but their kitchen cabinets and some of their kitchenware (pots, pans, containers and even garlic presses) are not only cheap, but surprisingly high quality. New catalogue means they are going to put on a huge sale, so any IronGaffers would do right by keeping an eye on their local Ikea shops to score some deals. I've seen folks setting up entire new kitchens at a 30% discount on top of the usual deals.

Signed,

Your resident Ikea fanboy.

seriously I love Ikea in fact I use to use their old stainless steel pots and pans for restaurant use even because restaurant brand stainless steel is usually expensive and I really hate aluminum pots and pans.

so I have an enormous amount of tomatillos (and zucchini but thats a whole other story), anyone have some tasty recipes that are not salsa?

zbarron

Is there anything I can use in my apartment's kitchen to help with smoke while searing on the stove top?

Do you have a window?
I used something like this in the nearest window. The higher the window is the better too.
https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-F-5280-7-Inch-2-Speed-Window/dp/B000K9GAXM/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1470011981&sr=8-12&keywords=window+fan

There's also non ducted hoods but I've never tried them so I can't speak for their efficacy.
https://www.amazon.com/413004-Capable-Non-Ducted-Under-Cabinet-Stainless/dp/B0002YTM0I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470012058&sr=8-3&keywords=kitchen+hood

Do you have a window?
I used something like this in the nearest window. The higher the window is the better too.
https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-F-5280-7-Inch-2-Speed-Window/dp/B000K9GAXM/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1470011981&sr=8-12&keywords=window+fan

There's also non ducted hoods but I've never tried them so I can't speak for their efficacy.
https://www.amazon.com/413004-Capable-Non-Ducted-Under-Cabinet-Stainless/dp/B0002YTM0I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470012058&sr=8-3&keywords=kitchen+hood

I have a non-ducted hood but it isn't very effective. In the summer I open my door and balcony door and turnon my fan. That helps a bit. Problem is that it is going to be winter soon. -_-

I was hoping maybe there's some sort of suction fan like the one you posted with a particulate filter or something I could use.

Zyzyxxz

Is there anything I can use in my apartment's kitchen to help with smoke while searing on the stove top?

Nope pretty much nill especially if you dont have a duct for a suction fan. Best you can do is either use a cast iron griddle and sear in your oven (so at least the oven can trap the smoke). I would set it underneath the broiler and then that way you can sear both sides at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CMLTXG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or preorder one of these:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/worlds-most-precise-griddle-replace-sous-vide.html

Nope pretty much nill especially if you dont have a duct for a suction fan. Best you can do is either use a cast iron griddle and sear in your oven (so at least the oven can trap the smoke). I would set it underneath the broiler and then that way you can sear both sides at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CMLTXG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or preorder one of these:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/worlds-most-precise-griddle-replace-sous-vide.html

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look at the griddle.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Went to the butcher, bought 1,5 pounds of pork belly and asked them to roll it up and bind it for me. Tomorrow I'll try me on making chashu for ramen! Will post pictures and the recipe tomorrow

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Went to the butcher, bought 1,5 pounds of pork belly and asked them to roll it up and bind it for me. Tomorrow I'll try me on making chashu for ramen! Will post pictures and the recipe tomorrow

Nice, I did that not too long ago.

Chashu

Tonkotsu

I used a soup base concentrate, bought from Japan Centru UK. For a premade product, it was really, really good.

Obviously, the real deal is better. But if you can't be arsed to make it on your own, it's a great alternative.

Had a 4 hour layover in Berlin, traveling home from 3 days in Ibiza. So took a cab to Cocolo Ramen in Mitte, which serves awesome Tonkotsu. Their broth is on another level.

Nothing too fancy and made so our young kids would eat oysters, success with the 7 year old, fail with the 4 year old. Hey they love fish and crab still at least. We had mussels too in a white wine cream sauce but those got eaten far quicker than my memory to get a pic.

gEJT1hw.jpg

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Cp5tarM.jpg

Done! It turned out really good in the staub cocotte.
I used one cup Mirin, one cup Soy-sauce, half cup Sugar, one cup Water, one cup Sake. 6 scallops, ginger, garlic.

Put it in the oven for 3 hours @150C or 300F. turned it every 30 minutes.

Now I'll let it rest and cool down in the cocotte, then I'll cut it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
After a night in the fridge, it was nice and firm and I could cut it.

tw7pndSh.jpg

what was left of the broth from the chashu I used to marinated soft boiled eggs for 12 hours. now they look like this:
20120301-tonkotsu-ajitsuke-tamago-marinated-egg-5.jpg
not my picture tho. Forgot to make one :D they're called "Ajitsuke Tamago"味付け玉子

Hey I follow you on instagram too! I thought I saw pictures of that chashu already, looks really good!

thank you :D I think I saw your like on instagram :D

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
After a night in the fridge, it was nice and firm and I could cut it.

tw7pndSh.jpg

what was left of the broth from the chashu I used to marinated soft boiled eggs for 12 hours. now they look like this:
20120301-tonkotsu-ajitsuke-tamago-marinated-egg-5.jpg
not my picture tho. Forgot to make one :D they're called "Ajitsuke Tamago"味付け玉子

thank you :D I think I saw your like on instagram :D

The eggs were almost the best part, they were amazing. Did them the same way as you, which my picture above do not reflect as that the first soup after the chashu was done.

Went to Ikea, looking for something to get a bit more counter/cabinet space in our kitchen..

DsaUB66.jpg

Ended up falling in love with the Ivar system.

It's actually pine, and was very reasonably priced. Also picked up the giant 16 gallon recycling containers. I like how they have all these attachments for this thing, like the hooks, and the baskets that slide on the shelves.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Re: Ivar
better buy another metal crossjuction and attach it to the rear as well (one on the top half, one on the bottom half), it inveeases the stability of the sheld significantly.

Re: Ivar
better buy another metal crossjuction and attach it to the rear as well (one on the top half, one on the bottom half), it inveeases the stability of the sheld significantly.

Yeah it's a little wobbly, I'll make sure I grab one next time I'm at Ikea.

I'll make sure not to load it up too much until I get another one.

This. This is amazing. The recipe calls it chili but with cumin, turmeric and cayenne it is much more like curry than chili to me.

Also, Israeli couscous every time.

13901444_10206370059076388_4020938281692089325_n.jpg

8 hours in the slow cooker, low cost and it lasts me ~ 2 weeks if I freeze half of it.

Top Bottom