• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Don't be afraid to give the chicken a quick sear in a hot pan or on the grill if you're looking for some more texture on the outside.

Waldfest was amazing. I'm incredibly hung over right now.

I seared the outside in cast iron, that part was fine. It was more or less the majority of the inside of the chicken had a different chew that I guess we weren't used to.

ColdPizza

Banned
I seared the outside in cast iron, that part was fine. It was more or less the majority of the inside of the chicken had a different chew that I guess we weren't used to.

Yeah, I completely understand. I've only done poultry twice with my Anova and that was my initial reaction as well. Seems like it takes on the consistency and texture of certain types of deli meat.

zbarron

I had it set for 150. It was cooked all the way through, the texture was just different to what both my GF and I are used to. I know that's one of the things Kenji talked about on Serious Eats, that people are so used to the dried out 165F+ chicken that the texture can be off putting at first.

The flavor was good, it was moist and what not, just the texture seemed off.

Tomorrow we're doing some sausages in there, at 155F for 45-50minutes see how that goes. I also bought a nice looking Ribeye to try as well.
You could always try 155 or 160 to see if you prefer it that way.

You should have better luck with the steak. What temp are you going for? This is a good guide.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html#temp

zbarron

I used metal utensils in my new cookware twice and both times the pot and pan had scratches in it after. They are flat to the touch and it said I could use metal utensils. Is this normal?

snacknuts

we all knew her
I used metal utensils in my new cookware twice and both times the pot and pan had scratches in it after. They are flat to the touch and it said I could use metal utensils. Is this normal?

Yup, it's fine. When I got my stainless steel cookware last year, one of the reasons I was excited to get it was so that I could use metal utensils without damaging it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
totally normal. if the cookware is brushed stainless, it's even inevitable.

Day 2 of the Anova produced a much better meal.

I picked up some chicken cheddar sausages for my GF, and cheddar jalapeno bratwurst for me at the Amish Market.

Did it at 155 for about 60 minutes, threw them in a hot pan to get some nice color on them.

28115524130_e45d5b477a_c.jpg

28319389661_aa3543fba1_c.jpg

So moist, and bursting with flavor. Perhaps the best sausages I ever made at home.

Denali

The Calphalon 10 piece cookware set arrived today.

28209019452_e68f8be4a9_b.jpg

(10" skillet not pictured because I couldn't fit it.)

Two of the pieces had small dents in them so I was able to get it for a further $21.80 off.

I did the initial wash but haven't tried them out yet. I'm excited to.

Did yours arrive yet Denali? What condition did yours come in?

Set came in today. I didn't notice any dents, looks perfectly new. Excited to start!

Everyones new toys look amazing!

Im excited to see what you guys cook up.

On a positive note on my end, i talked to the head of pastry at my new job and she wants me to pull some shifts. Im excited to get back to it finally after these past 3 months away. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that's wondeful to hear! Best of luck.

Some beauty on a platter from tonight: Vitello Tonnato and Gnocchi with mushrooms and Parmesan:
image_5.jpeg

image_6.jpeg

ColdPizza

Banned
One of the meals from my Blue Apron box this week. I loved it.

Roast pork with jasmine rice (zucchini, garlic and scallion) with a peach salsa (shallot, lime juice, lime zest and olive oil)

AZfhC5u.png

Denali

One of the meals from my Blue Apron box this week. I loved it.

Roast pork with jasmine rice (zucchini, garlic and scallion) with a peach salsa (shallot, lime juice, lime zest and olive oil)

How do you like Blue Apron overall? Worth it? I'm a single guy living alone, so I assume most of the meals would actually leave enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. Thinking it might be a good idea to get me more in the cooking mode, then I can branch off and start trying recipes I choose.

Picked up another item: The Breville Mini Smart Oven. It's small enough that it's not taking up too much of the limited countertop space I have. People seemed to rave about it online, so I went with it. Anyone here have it, or one of the larger models? Looking into getting a chopping block with some heat-resistant silicon feet that I can sit on top of it to try and regain some countertop space. The top gets really hot, so I'm kind of nervous about it. A lot of the reviews on Amazon have people using their own solutions with good results. Breville sells their own solution, but reviews seemed to indicate that heat would still get through.

ColdPizza

Banned
How do you like Blue Apron overall? Worth it? I'm a single guy living alone, so I assume most of the meals would actually leave enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. Thinking it might be a good idea to get me more in the cooking mode, then I can branch off and start trying recipes I choose.

Oh yah, you'll have plenty for leftovers. They're portioned nicely...an individual portion is more than enough (though the minimum is 2).

Here's what I like.

1. They pretty much only give you what you need (sometimes you get a little extra in the way of produce)
2. Most every package they send (except for the bag with ice) is recyclable
3. The recipes are inventive (for me)...and they give me great ideas on how to use otherwise boring ingredients in new ways.
4. The recipes are printed on nice 8 x 11 cardstock with helpful instructions and pictures...you could save these and remake the meals another time if you want (which I plan on doing), will probably get a 3 hole punch and put them all in a binder.
5. There's an iPhone/Android app, so you can easily log on and skip weeks where you don't like the menu or you won't be home
6. You can alter your menu choices to other things if you don't like the current week's choices.
7. They provide wine pairing suggestions with each meal

So far, every recipe seems to be around 15 min of prep work and at most, 45 min cooking, though most of the recipes are thoughtfully written like (while food X is cooking, go ahead and start constructing Y).

I believe there is a free trial (1 week free) but it will require you to put in your credit card info, and after that, unless you can or start skipping weeks immediately, the meals will automatically be locked in the Saturday before the next week.

I'd definitely recommend if it you're looking to save time shopping and looking to try cooking with new and different ingredients or working with common ingredients in new and interesting ways.

That being said, I'm using this as a supplement to my normal shopping, so I usually only sign up for weeks where I'm too busy to shop, etc.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dish will be Cevapi, a balkan/yugoslavian staple food made from mixed ground meat, pureed onions and garlic as well as a spice mix called "Vegeta". the dough is resting in the fridge now, prep will be in three or four hours.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I'll spar you pics of the raw Cevapcicis, because they look like something unappetizing.
Instead, have a preview of tomorrows ingredients for Pasta alla verdure:
image.jpeg

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So, in germany you can't buy boneless chicken thighs. I don't know why, but that beautiful part of civilisation has not reached us yet. So in June I removed the bones myself and put the meat in the freezer in nice 200gr packages.

Today, after watching some shingeki no soma I really got motivated to cook. I used 2 tbs sake, 2tbs soy-sauce and 2tbs of shio koji
malted rice
, one clove of garlic and half a tea spoon of ginger for the marinade. Chicken and the marinade in a zip-lock bag and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Throw the chicken in the katakuriko starch
or any other starch flour
and fry it.

7JN2pFc.jpg

zMhOkQG.jpg

voila, Karaage! I love it. We fried it on our terrace, what better way to enjoy 35 degrees and the burning sun...

They are almost universally not worth it. You'd be better off getting two separate grills.

You might also consider the Weber Performer Deluxe. It's a charcoal grill but the one touch ignition system gives you more of the convenience of gas. It also has some other really nice features that makes things more convenient.

Ended up going with this! This will be my first move into charcoal ever so we'll see how it goes.

zbarron

Ended up going with this! This will be my first move into charcoal ever so we'll see how it goes.
Nice. If you don't like it I'll gladly take it off your hands. It's really a nice grill. Keep in mind you'll need to preheat it which will take about 15 minutes but it's hands off time you can prep during. If you have any grilling or smoking questions post them here or in the BBQ thread.

Did you get it already?

Nice. If you don't like it I'll gladly take it off your hands. It's really a nice grill. Keep in mind you'll need to preheat it which will take about 15 minutes but it's hands off time you can prep during. If you have any grilling or smoking questions post them here or in the BBQ thread.

Did you get it already?

It comes Wed, got it online and avoided some taxes on it. Read up on the gas start on it and apparently gets the coals hotter much quicker than even a chimney will.

zbarron

It comes Wed, got it online and avoided some taxes on it. Read up on the gas start on it and apparently gets the coals hotter much quicker than even a chimney will.

Oh cool. What charcoal do you plan on using? Some start faster than others. I was a Stubbs man for a while but I got a few bad bags that really turned me off the brand, plus it's getting harder to find. Right now my favorite is Royal Oak charcoal briquettes. The Walmart by me has 2 bags for $7 and change and they burn hotter and longer than Kingsford.

Oh cool. What charcoal do you plan on using? Some start faster than others. I was a Stubbs man for a while but I got a few bad bags that really turned me off the brand, plus it's getting harder to find. Right now my favorite is Royal Oak charcoal briquettes. The Walmart by me has 2 bags for $7 and change and they burn hotter and longer than Kingsford.

That was my agenda next to research, my quick study was showing lump charcoal is better to use than briquettes

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Girlfriend took me to a proper restaurant for dinner this past Saturday.

tf78uFt.jpg

Apple and basil ajoblanco with cheese and salmorejo stones.

Tdz4wFt.jpg

Octopus carpaccio with almond alioli and summer truffle (holy FUCK that was great)

sPrvRI3.jpg

Steak tartar with mustard icecream and sesame crackers

FJsg0AZ.jpg

Low temperature cooked egg with Idiazabal cheese, Iberico dust and confit Iberico belly (this one was a Saint Teresa-like religious experience).

ombnOvm.jpg

Scallop, wheat and bone marrow (tas-ty).

ftRUARy.jpg

Seared bonito with green chile and escabeche sauces.

nR1g59E.jpg

Free range chicken with lobster.

M8ytFfq.jpg

Honey icecream with chamomile sauce, apple and lyophilized yogurt (this is where I ascended to a new astral plane)

WW78rxt.jpg

Cherry, cocoa mousse and blackcurrant (God help me)

And this little thing we got as we were getting out:

2wvWx9A.jpg

Hardened passion fruit meringue with vanilla crystals.

zbarron

Forgive me for not getting it, but what's with the rocks in the dessert? It all looks amazing.

I stir fried some char siu pork for lunch but had nothing to eat it with. I found a ramen in the cupboard so I thinly sliced some cabbage and added it all together with some soy sauce and sriracha. Good lunch.
27925186444_ba49d4876b_b.jpg

I get to practice my animals too. Bonus!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Forgive me for not getting it, but what's with the rocks in the dessert? It all looks amazing.
They are meant to be visually in tone since the meringue and the crystals kind of look like rocks themselves, I guess. I've seen this at a number of restaurants with other rock-like recipes. You can't quite throw them into a white/glass dish and call it a day since they are like small chocolates or candy (each one of them are the size of a fingernail or close). It would look off.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
After showing the pictures to my mother and telling her that we fry with an old fondue set she told me to order a fryer and pay with her credit card.

win.

so many japanese dishes I can finally fry like the kamisama intendet.

Browny

Banned
^^ Super jealous. I'd love a fryer to really start on some decent coated dishes, but the other half isn't a believer. Plus we have almost no worktop space :-(

Does anyone have a quick and easy tomato pizza topper recipe? We make simple pizzas with our 3 yo daughter using bog-standard jarred sauce, goats cheese (for the lactose intolerant other half) and then trimmings etc. Sunday I go to the cupboard, and no pizza topping jars. Made a very very crappy sauce using chopped tomatoes, basil and tomato puree, but I know there must be better I can do in two minutes?

I don't want to have to cook up said sauce beforehand, but I suppose I could cook up batches beforehand and freeze if anyone has any suitable suggestions...

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
^^ Super jealous. I'd love a fryer to really start on some decent coated dishes, but the other half isn't a believer. Plus we have almost no worktop space :-(
we will use and store it on our terrace..our flat is so small we could never use it inside lol.

about the tomato sauce..maybe fry some garlic until it is slightly golden, add canned tomatoes
I use mutti san marzano
add salt, pepper and some oregano and wait until it is thick enough.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

Does anyone have a quick and easy tomato pizza topper recipe? We make simple pizzas with our 3 yo daughter using bog-standard jarred sauce, goats cheese (for the lactose intolerant other half) and then trimmings etc. Sunday I go to the cupboard, and no pizza topping jars. Made a very very crappy sauce using chopped tomatoes, basil and tomato puree, but I know there must be better I can do in two minutes?

I don't want to have to cook up said sauce beforehand, but I suppose I could cook up batches beforehand and freeze if anyone has any suitable suggestions...

the easiest tomato topping is to just blend canned tomatoes with a pinch of salt. you can add a bit of basil if your family digs the taste.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Grated fresh tomato with some shrimp is a zero bother, absolutely killer sauce for basic, room temperature/cold pasta. Canned tomatoes can't compare to freshly grated ones.

Just sautee the shrimp a couple of minutes (this can be done while you are grating the tomato) with some olive oil, toss them into the grated tomato and you are done.

This sauce also works extremely well for spiralized vegetables.

Edit: Damn, you meant just for pizza. Homemade tomato puree works, but I'd recommend making your own sauce. Pizza sauce freezes well in glass jars, so you can keep some around for the ocasion. Check these recipes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/basic-tomato-sauce-jim-lahey.html

Browny

Banned
Thanks all for the suggestions - I think I realise why my half-arsed effort tasted so bad, and I'll probably cook up a few pots for the freezer when I find an hour. In fact, the girls are off on holiday in a few weeks time, so I may have pizza every night - just to try things out...

Grated fresh tomato with some shrimp is a zero bother, absolutely killer sauce for basic, room temperature/cold pasta. Canned tomatoes can't compare to freshly grated ones.

Just sautee the shrimp a couple of minutes (this can be done while you are grating the tomato) with some olive oil, toss them into the grated tomato and you are done.

This sauce also works extremely well for spiralized vegetables.

Edit: Damn, you meant just for pizza. Homemade tomato puree works, but I'd recommend making your own sauce. Pizza sauce freezes well in glass jars, so you can keep some around for the ocasion. Check these recipes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/basic-tomato-sauce-jim-lahey.html

Im all for freezing sauces but you should never put glass in the freezer ;^;

zbarron

I use the second link for my pizza sauce. I feel basic is best for this.
Im all for freezing sauces but you should never put glass in the freezer ;^;
Mason jars are actually safe for the freezer as long as the sauce is cool first and you leave a ton of room for expansion.

I like to freeze my sauce in ice cube trays and then I can transfer them to a ziploc bag for short term storage or vacuum bag for long term. It makes portioning easy.

Zyzyxxz

going tomorrow to pick up some, will probably go with what you recommended.

I've been using the Thaan Pok Pok charcoal for yakitori. It's amazing stuff at a fraction the price of Japanese binchotan.

The best part is that it burns 4-5 hours long and if you only need it for 1-2 hrs you can just put it out and relight it the next time you need it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R8HILG8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's not cheap but I was able to use 4 logs to cook about a 50 skewers and still was able to use it the next day. Also its light on the ash and doesn't flare up or create odor.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this one cross-post is alright. But I think good tea can be an important part of good food so maybe you might be interested :)

From left to right: Genmaicha by family Watanabe from Kagoshima, Sencha Soyo 2 from Hoshino, Tsuyuhikari is a new hybrid made from Asatsuyu and Shizu7132 created in 2000 by chasho Yamaguchi Shinya also from Hoshino, Shincha 2016 Yame Supreme from the Region Yame, on top Hakuju Matcha from Hoshino.

Second try at doing a sous vide ribeye.

nFNcSLZ.jpg

OzKZqcA.jpg

AHNl8zi.jpg

Came out much better. This was a giant hunk of meat, got 3 steaks nearly the same size at Costco for a shade under 30 bucks.

10 bucks for a perfectly cooked massive steak is a bargain.

I'm curious to try doing burgers via sous vide though.

Top Bottom