• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Maiar_m

Seb, are you in France? I just spent two weeks in Paris and then up in Normandy and it seemed like mojitos were everywhere, which was very confusing to me, curious if it's a current "it" drink or what.

Also yes good French patisseries and boulangeries are not fucking around. I had breakfast at this shop in the 9th every morning and it did not disappoint.
Mojitos have been everywhere here for a few years yes. All year long too. Soft drink makers went all out on mojito-flavors too this year around.

le-seb

Mojitos have been everywhere here for a few years yes.
This 'trend' started around when Pernod-Ricard started to deal Havana Club rum in France, and marketed it as the original rum for making mojitos. Not something new, that being said, I remember it already was a thing 20 years ago.

When they're well done - but I'm afraid it's hard to have one well done, even in Cuba from my very own experience - it's a delicious and very refreshing drink.
I find Havana Club rum to be utter trash, though, so I make mine with some more refined rum, like Bologne.

HiResDes

Well I used a box pancake mix, making sure to make the batter thinner than I would if I were cooking them on a skillet. I needed them to cook all the way through before burning and thought that would help. Seems to work!

Here's what I did, might be a recipe out there but I didn't even look for one.

I set the oven to 375°F, sprayed some cupcake pans.

Made up the pancake batter (again I went thinner than usual,) cooked the eggs and sausage.

once the oven was heated I poured a very thin layer of pancake mix at the bottom of the pans and baked for like two minutes. Just long enough to firm up the bottom and prevent the filing from sinking through.

Then I filled each cup with goodNess and poured more batter on top of each. The thinner the batter the less the rise so I filled mine to the top.

Baked for about... idk. Maybe 20 minutes? The edges looked to be turning golden brown. I buttered the tops, popped them back in for another 5 minutes, and then they were done!

Sorry, next time I will take better note of the cooking times lol. I'm happy yall were intrigued though.

Edit- for the fruit ones I just used chopped banana, strawberry, and blueberries instead of egg sausage and cheese.
Sounds pretty straight forward, gonna check these out

HiResDes

This 'trend' started around when Pernod-Ricard started to deal Havana Club rum in France, and marketed it as the original rum for making mojitos. Not something new, that being said, I remember it already was a thing 20 years ago.

When they're well done - but I'm afraid it's hard to have one well done, even in Cuba from my very own experience - it's a delicious and very refreshing drink.
I find Havana Club rum to be utter trash, though, so I make mine with some more refined rum, like Bologne.
I've never had a good one honestly, which is why I only order Mint Juleps instead because I know being right next to a Bourbon mecca that they'll be made with decent ingredients at least.

Picked up one of these badboys for the time being

And getting one of these in a couple weeks!
41izR9ZEHML.jpg

zbarron

I've never had a good one honestly, which is why I only order Mint Juleps instead because I know being right next to a Bourbon mecca that they'll be made with decent ingredients at least.
I had amazing mojitos in Miami. Around here it's really hard to find a good one.
Picked up one of these badboys for the time being

And getting one of these in a couple weeks!
41izR9ZEHML.jpg
Congratulations. I have the same charcoal grill. If you have any questions let me know.. Do you plan on grilling, smoking or both?

I had amazing mojitos in Miami. Around here it's really hard to find a good one.

Congratulations. I have the same charcoal grill. If you have any questions let me know.. Do you plan on grilling, smoking or both?

Grilling and smoking both. Will be my first time smoking so Ill probably jump in here for advice for sure.

zbarron

Has anyone made this sugar cookie recipe?

I followed it exactly and measured all my ingredients using grams and they came out looking pretty and had great texture but tasting pretty bad. They tasted almost like biscuits. I was getting the flour, butter and salt, but barely could taste the sugar or vanilla. When I got to the step of adding the sugar I sifted and incorporated it using the spatula and it was so low hydration it looked like pie dough and was just a bunch of flakes. I put it back in the stand mixer to incorporate a little rougher and it turned consistent. Most cookie dough recipes I use are far more wet.

Here's how they looked:
28140900381_4283461900_b.jpg

My current theory is that it lists using sanding sugar or vanilla sugar and I didn't do that. I assumed it was optional but perhaps that extra sugar made the cookie have a more balanced flavor.

le-seb

It sounds a bit strange, since 280 grams of sugar for 320 grams of flour should certainly give some sweet result.
And the sanding sugar is only used for decoration, so I doubt it would have much effect on the overall taste.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you for asking! Yes, that is a legit recipe. This variant of potato salad goes well with beef and pork dishes, while the other variant (with waxy potatoes, mayonnaise-based dressing and usually served cold and after a period of brining) goes best with fish and poultry dishes. The sausages in the recipe you posted go great with either variant.
Edit:
here is a pic of said other variant with some deep fried battered fish:
image_5.jpeg

ColdPizza

Banned
Made some Bavarian style German potato salad to go with the chicken.

heCwBTN.png

Finished plate with home made garlic dill pickles.

op4L7nf.png

The skin...even tho I achieved way better heat, still wasn't there. I think the brine just screws with crispy skin. I can't win. Then again, the meat turned out amazing. So I'm torn. Will have to try this method again without brining.

Chicken was smoked with cherry wood. One half was brushed with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

ekk9BRC.png

Denali

Just got my own place, and I don't have anything at all to cook with! Any suggestions? It's a bit overwhelming looking around on Amazon. I'm not a huge cook, but it is something I want to get more into. I don't really have a price range in mind. Is a set the way to go?

Has anyone made this sugar cookie recipe?

I followed it exactly and measured all my ingredients using grams and they came out looking pretty and had great texture but tasting pretty bad. They tasted almost like biscuits. I was getting the flour, butter and salt, but barely could taste the sugar or vanilla. When I got to the step of adding the sugar I sifted and incorporated it using the spatula and it was so low hydration it looked like pie dough and was just a bunch of flakes. I put it back in the stand mixer to incorporate a little rougher and it turned consistent. Most cookie dough recipes I use are far more wet.

Here's how they looked:
28140900381_4283461900_b.jpg

My current theory is that it lists using sanding sugar or vanilla sugar and I didn't do that. I assumed it was optional but perhaps that extra sugar made the cookie have a more balanced flavor.

Did you mean flour in the bolded part? That part confused me.

If so, Its possible that there was too much flour, although a recipe says to add all that flour, you don't need to necessarily. Some recipes its just an overall guide line because humidity, your ingredients, and various other elements can alter what your batter actually needs when you make it. I would sift your flour, set it aside, and then add it in 3rd's to your mix until the dough comes together on its own. Not sticky to touch but not dry/crumbling either. Eyeball it as you go and check between each addition of flour. Also be wary of overworking your dough, overworking can activate gluten which then leads to bread-like consistency in pastries.

I also recommend chilling your rolled dough balls before baking so the doughs fat comes together nicely and when you bake it they come out chewy and not super flat (unless you like them flat, of course !) Roll them in sugar before you place them in the oven though, not before hand :)

other tip: I also recommend vanilla paste over extract personally. I like seeing flecks of vanilla throughout my pastries + its made with a glucose syrup usually so it adds to your sugar content (only slightly).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Just got my own place, and I don't have anything at all to cook with! Any suggestions? It's a bit overwhelming looking around on Amazon. I'm not a huge cook, but it is something I want to get more into. I don't really have a price range in mind. Is a set the way to go?
welcome to this humble thread! :)
Yup, a set would be a good starting point. if you have an Ikea around, give their 365 series of pots and pans a try. as for knives, try a set from Fiskars functional form series.
please post the outcome of your shopping spree here as well! :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Mondays suck, so did dinner. I had four overripe bananas around and turned them into a shake with equal parts buttermilk, kefir and whole milk as well as a splash of lemon juice:
image.jpeg

Accompanied by PB, iceberg lettuce and Gouda sammich:
image_1.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

Dessert:
PB and Nutella sandwich, aka Snickers Bread:
image_2.jpeg

and as I wasted half of the day playing around with Prisma http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1244772 anyway, have an artistic rendition of the main course:
image_4.jpeg

Denali

welcome to this humble thread! :)
Yup, a set would be a good starting point. if you have an Ikea around, give their 365 series of pots and pans a try. as for knives, try a set from Fiskars functional form series.
please post the outcome of your shopping spree here as well! :)

I saw you suggest that in another post that popped up from my search (I think it was from 2007). Unfortunately, no Ikea around, so I was looking to order something from Amazon or another physical dealer if possible. I'm in the US.

This is a really solid cookware set for the price. Over safe also!

Invest in some cast irons too. Totally worth it.

And unless you want to invest in an expensive knife brand for home like Global or etc, I'd go with a set like this for cooking at home.

Get a nice Boos Block + oil for home too. It definitely comes in handy as you explore cooking :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I saw you suggest that in another post that popped up from my search (I think it was from 2007). Unfortunately, no Ikea around, so I was looking to order something from Amazon or another physical dealer if possible. I'm in the US.

ah, ok.
this knife set would be a great starting point:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014FCIQY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As for pots and pans, best go shopping in a kitchen supply store. You'll need a large pot (1-1,5 gallons) for pasta and stew, a medium-sized one for boiling potatoes and vegetables as well as deep frying, and a small casserole-style one flr sauces and stuff. get matching lids as well. Make sure the pots are from stainless steel, as aluminum can be tricky wih several ingredients.

as for skillets, I'd recommend a teflon coated one from the professional series, also with matching lid:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...4&rh=i:kitchen,k:t-fal+professional+non-stick

Denali

This is a really solid cookware set for the price. Over safe also!

Invest in some cast irons too. Totally worth it.

And unless you want to invest in an expensive knife brand for home like Global or etc, I'd go with a set like this for cooking at home.

Get a nice Boos Block + oil for home too. It definitely comes in handy as you explore cooking :)

ah, ok.
this knife set would be a great starting point:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014FCIQY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As for pots and pans, best go shopping in a kitchen supply store. You'll need a large pot (1-1,5 gallons) for pasta and stew, a medium-sized one for boiling potatoes and vegetables as well as deep frying, and a small casserole-style one flr sauces and stuff. get matching lids as well. Make sure the pots are from stainless steel, as aluminum can be tricky wih several ingredients.

as for skillets, I'd recommend a teflon coated one from the professional series, also with matching lid:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...4&rh=i:kitchen,k:t-fal+professional+non-stick

Great, thanks guys! I definitely want to pick up a non-stick pan as well for cooking eggs. I just can't seem to help but ruining them the few times I've used stainless. Need to do some reading on cooking with stainless.

I've added the Calphalon set to my wishlist. I'm gonna wait til tomorrow (Prime Day) before pulling the trigger.

zbarron

Decided to go ahead and grab this pressure cooker for prime day...need some quick dinner options for weeknights etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Nice. I've been wanting a pressure cooker for risotto, stock, and general recipes.

Today though I jumped on the cookware Bento posted. My current cookware is pieced together from a couple cheap sets and a spare piece we've acquired over the past decade so this was more important to cooking well. Today they're having a special giving an extra 20% off Amazon Warehouse sales. The one I got is in perfect condition just the box was a little roughed up. Coupled that with the $10 audible promotion and I got it for $108.99 before tax. It sells for $200 locally so it seems a good deal.

Denali

Nice. I've been wanting a pressure cooker for risotto, stock, and general recipes.

Today though I jumped on the cookware Bento posted. My current cookware is pieced together from a couple cheap sets and a spare piece we've acquired over the past decade so this was more important to cooking well. Today they're having a special giving an extra 20% off Amazon Warehouse sales. The one I got is in perfect condition just the box was a little roughed up. Coupled that with the $10 audible promotion and I got it for $108.99 before tax. It sells for $200 locally so it seems a good deal.

Good catch! Just did the same. $118 pre-tax (already have an Audible subscription).

Good catch! Just did the same. $118 pre-tax (already have an Audible subscription).

We got that set of cookware as a wedding gift a couple months ago,we really like em so far. On another note we just got our Cutco knife set in,so happy to finally have these after wanting them for YEARS.

Code:
[IMG]https://d17u1h4pee53w6.cloudfront.net/products/1000/p2/santoku-style-signature-set-with-steak-knives.jpg[/IMG]

Santoku-Style Signature Set with Steak Knives with Block
THIS SET INCLUDES Santoku-Style 3" Paring Knife, Santoku-Style Trimmer, Butcher Knife, Santoku-Style 8" Carver, Santoku-Style 10" Slicer, 7" Santoku, 5" Petite Santoku, 6-3/4" Petite Carver, Hardy Slicer, Spatula Spreader, Super Shears, Traditional Cheese Knife,10 Steak Knives,Turning Fork, Carving Fork, Sharpener Large, Medium & Small Cutting BoardsHoney or Cherry Finish Oak Block

snacknuts

we all knew her
On another note we just got our Cutco knife set in,so happy to finally have these after wanting them for YEARS.

THIS SET INCLUDES Santoku-Style 3" Paring Knife, Santoku-Style Trimmer, Butcher Knife, Santoku-Style 8" Carver, Santoku-Style 10" Slicer, 7" Santoku, 5" Petite Santoku, 6-3/4" Petite Carver, Hardy Slicer, Spatula Spreader, Super Shears, Traditional Cheese Knife,10 Steak Knives,Turning Fork, Carving Fork, Sharpener Large, Medium & Small Cutting BoardsHoney or Cherry Finish Oak Block

Wow, you must be rich!

zbarron

The Calphalon 10 piece cookware set arrived today.

28209019452_e68f8be4a9_b.jpg

(10" skillet not pictured because I couldn't fit it.)

Two of the pieces had small dents in them so I was able to get it for a further $21.80 off.

I did the initial wash but haven't tried them out yet. I'm excited to.

Did yours arrive yet Denali? What condition did yours come in?

thespot84

Since you got new pans this is a good time to recommend barkeeper's friend again. It's oxalic acid powder and it cleans up damn near everything. Keep those pans looking new forever

Denali

Two of the pieces had small dents in them so I was able to get it for a further $21.80 off.

I did delayed shipping since I'm out of town currently. They should be arriving Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll be sure to update once I get them!

Last of my cooking pickups for a looooong time shouldnt need anything else

Code:
Cutco in the kitchen
[img]http://i.imgur.com/3ZBPjoil.jpg[/img]

Got this second set of pans for $50 off and included a $50 gift card for Bed,Bath n Beyond
[img]http://i.imgur.com/wdjg6P3l.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/AisqBwOl.jpg[/img]

This came free with the Calphalon set above.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/s1borhLl.jpg[/img]

Nice. I havent used the frying pans yet,Im afraid too because they look so elegant lol!

zbarron

Since you got new pans this is a good time to recommend barkeeper's friend again. It's oxalic acid powder and it cleans up damn near everything. Keep those pans looking new forever
I was looking at that. A ton of places swear by it. I'll grab some when I get the chance.
Nice. I havent used the frying pans yet,Im afraid too because they look so elegant lol!
As mentioned above use Bar Keeper's Friend. Why did you get the second set by the way?

I was looking at that. A ton of places swear by it. I'll grab some when I get the chance.

As mentioned above use Bar Keeper's Friend. Why did you get the second set by the way?

This was the set me and my wife wanted originally that we had on our wedding registry so we bought it. We got the stainless steel set as a wedding gift and I wanted to keep it,love the functionality and look of it!

le-seb

Yesterday's meal was made of cold things, due to summer's finally being here:

Tomatoes, basil and greuil (fresh cheese):
DSC_0044.JPG

Fennel, zucchini, cucumber salad and roasted beef w/ homemade mayo:
DSC_0046.JPG

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Burger lunch at my favorite place:
image_12.jpeg

image_13.jpeg

Dish of the week was an Interesting combo with wasabi mayo, wasabi coleslaw, bacon and onion rings:
image_10.jpeg

aand a barebones one to be sure:
image_11.jpeg

Anyone know if combo gas/charcoal grills are worth it? I have a gas grill now but its on it slast legs. I like having the convenience of gas when i just want something quick but would like to use charcoal/smoke meats as well.

Any recommendations?

zbarron

Anyone know if combo gas/charcoal grills are worth it? I have a gas grill now but its on it slast legs. I like having the convenience of gas when i just want something quick but would like to use charcoal/smoke meats as well.

Any recommendations?

They are almost universally not worth it. You'd be better off getting two separate grills.

You might also consider the Weber Performer Deluxe. It's a charcoal grill but the one touch ignition system gives you more of the convenience of gas. It also has some other really nice features that makes things more convenient.

ColdPizza

Banned
At a local German festival in the woods. Waldfest near Buffalo NY

Drinking Warsteiner out of my Das Boot and eating mettwurst with German potato salad.

Great live music and Lederhosen

z1vUlCO.png

I picked up an Anova cooker during Amazon's Prime Day, I finally decided to give it a shot today.

28339617866_22524404b3_c.jpg

Just trying some chicken breasts for now, but I picked up some nice looking steaks and sausages to try as well.

zbarron

At a local German-Polish festival in the woods. Waldfest near Buffalo NY

Drinking Warsteiner out of my Das Boot and eating mettwurst with German potato salad.

Great live music and Lederhosen
I've never drank out of one of those. Closest I've done is a hefeweizen glass. Looks tasty.
I picked up an Anova cooker during Amazon's Prime Day, I finally decided to give it a shot today.

Just trying some chicken breasts for now, but I picked up some nice looking steaks and sausages to try as well.
Very nice. If you have any questions feel free to post them. A lot of the regulars here have one.

I've never drank out of one of those. Closest I've done is a hefeweizen glass. Looks tasty.

Very nice. If you have any questions feel free to post them. A lot of the regulars here have one.

I had it set for 150. It was cooked all the way through, the texture was just different to what both my GF and I are used to. I know that's one of the things Kenji talked about on Serious Eats, that people are so used to the dried out 165F+ chicken that the texture can be off putting at first.

The flavor was good, it was moist and what not, just the texture seemed off.

Tomorrow we're doing some sausages in there, at 155F for 45-50minutes see how that goes. I also bought a nice looking Ribeye to try as well.

ColdPizza

Banned
I had it set for 150. It was cooked all the way through, the texture was just different to what both my GF and I are used to. I know that's one of the things Kenji talked about on Serious Eats, that people are so used to the dried out 165F+ chicken that the texture can be off putting at first.

The flavor was good, it was moist and what not, just the texture seemed off.

Tomorrow we're doing some sausages in there, at 155F for 45-50minutes see how that goes. I also bought a nice looking Ribeye to try as well.

Don't be afraid to give the chicken a quick sear in a hot pan or on the grill if you're looking for some more texture on the outside.

Waldfest was amazing. I'm incredibly hung over right now.

Top Bottom