• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

dang that looks really good! Nice photography too!

Anyway anyone know a good way to get the burnt black parts off an enamelware cast iron pan?

Made some chicken sandwiches for dinner last night

p1030713-thumb1.jpg

SRG01

You can try soaking it in the white liquid used in dishwashers. Don't know if it'll eat through the coating though.

Silkworm

Zyzyxxz said:
Anyway anyone know a good way to get the burnt black parts off an enamelware cast iron pan?

Not sure if this will solve your problem, but I've used Bar Keepers Friend cleanser

51dw9cnhTOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

with a soft cloth on my enameled cast iron Dutch oven with fairly good results. At the very least, it won't damage your pan. It worked really well on my All Clad stainless pan, for which I'm very thankful :)

SRG01

Silkworm said:
Not sure if this will solve your problem, but I've used Bar Keepers Friend cleanser

51dw9cnhTOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

with a soft cloth on my enameled cast iron Dutch oven with fairly good results. At the very least, it won't damage your pan. It worked really well on my All Clad stainless pan, for which I'm very thankful :)

Will this work on teflon coated pans?

Silkworm

SRG01 said:
Will this work on teflon coated pans?
I don't have first hand experience with this, but I did a quick google search, and it seems a number of different people have recommended the use of this cleanser with teflon coated pans. The cleanser is pretty gentle and I would think it wouldn't damage the teflon coating, but without trying it myself I can't guarantee that.

Edit: Also sooperkool seems to agree that it should be okay for teflon :)

Flo_Evans

I love my wife to death, but she is all thumbs in the kitchen. She can't really make anything unless it comes in a box with a flavor packet :p

I've tried to teach her some things, but it seems I have a rather abrasive teaching style... Lucky for me my mother is also a great cook so she came over tonight to teach her some basics while me and my dad did man stuff in my workshop. :lol

Some nice bread with olive oil parmesan and fresh cracked pepper. Very basic but again my girl had only made bread that was pre-buttered. Sad I know.

s5i69g.jpg

Prosciutto and cantaloupe. Don't even know if this counts as cooking but again my girl was mystified at the flavor combo. :lol

oataio.jpg

Fresh made pesto and pasta. Again old hat and super easy. I've explained how to make pesto many times to her but I guess I am just an asshole. :lol

2ira68.jpg

Some good (decent at least) wine!

war1au.jpg

Finished off the meal with some of my moms home made blueberry/rhubarb pie. Still warm and melting the ice cream. OMFG my mom can bake some shit. I can't even hold a candle to her pies. :D

wvztx2.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Flo_Evans said:
Prosciutto and cantaloupe. Don't even know if this counts as cooking but again my girl was mystified at the flavor combo. :lol
oataio.jpg

This is the 2nd time I've seen it, and I gotta wonder what is it like? I'm really curious and wanna try it myself now.

-PXG-

I come from a family of incredible cooks. I'm AMAZED at a lot of the food you guys have made. Very impressive. I wish I could eat all of it ^__^

jarosh

nakedsushi said:
Damn....proscuitto and cantelope. That's brilliant!
not sure if you're poking fun or if you seriously haven't ever heard of or seen prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe. is it just something that's not common in the US at all? around here you see it on almost every brunch or breakfast buffet.

ShinAmano

I love this thread...I need to start getting some of my stuff up on it...even though I may look amateurish compared to some of you guys. :D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
jarosh said:
not sure if you're poking fun or if you seriously haven't ever heard of or seen prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe. is it just something that's not common in the US at all? around here you see it on almost every brunch or breakfast buffet.

I'm familiar with the pairing, but sadly, I've never even seen prosciutto for sale around here. :\

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ham and melon is kinda standard fare since the 1960s here, it started as a starter, but is served mainly in breakfast/brunch situations nowadays. It's most commonly prepared with honeydew melons and smoked ham here.

Zyzyxxz

jarosh said:

On the West Coast I don't think many people even know what prosciutto is unless they've been watching Food Network recently.

At least from my experience it is an uncommon ingredient.

jarosh said:

Not poking fun. I've never thought of it before, but it makes sense.

On the west coast, usually it's asparagus or shrimp wrapped prosciutto. I did a fish wrapped in prosciutto that was then baked once, but never thought about fruit.

Flo_Evans

Cosmic Bus said:
I'm familiar with the pairing, but sadly, I've never even seen prosciutto for sale around here. :\

It's basically fancy Italian ham (well dry aged in the picturesque northern hills :p) You should be able to find it at any decent deli. Do you not have a "little italy" in your town?

You could just use regular nasty american chemically aged ham, but with a dish so simple quality of the ingredients is key.

Kind of surprised some of you guys have never seen the combo. Salty/sweet is one of my favorite flavor pairings. Swine+fruit=yum yum :D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Flo_Evans said:
You should be able to find it at any decent deli. Do you not have a "little italy" in your town?

I guess you've never heard me bitching about the extremely rural area I live in. "Little Italy" here is the spaghetti sauce aisle. :lol

There's a local pizza chain in my town (Tucson, AZ) that does a prosciutto and melon pie, and it happens to be one of my favorite pizzas. However many people I suggest it to don't seem very interested.

Flo_Evans

Cosmic Bus said:
I guess you've never heard me bitching about the extremely rural area I live in. "Little Italy" here is the spaghetti sauce aisle. :lol

Bummer. Could you not mail order some? I live in the midwest but we seem to have a large concentration of Irish/German/Italian people here. The Italian neighborhood is called "the hill" cause its like, on a hill. :lol It's pretty crazy, you go down (up?) there and its Italian flags everywhere, fire hydrants painted red/white/green tons of great delis and awesome restaurants.

Celebrity chef Mario Batali calls The Hill one of the top “Little Italy” neighborhoods in the country and praises the area’s exquisite northern Italian cuisine. Saveur magazine describes The Hill, a must-stop on a culinary tour through St. Louis, as “America’s other Little Italy.” Called “the most pleasantly fragrant neighborhood in St. Louis” by Midwest Living magazine, The Hill’s great Italian restaurants, bakeries and import stores make it one of the region’s great ethnic neighborhoods.

Zyzyxxz said:
On the West Coast I don't think many people even know what prosciutto is unless they've been watching Food Network recently.

Thats a shame! I tend to think of the coast as more culinarilly (is that a word?) advanced, but I guess out there you have a much larger asian (and mexican) influence.

Undeux

Zyzyxxz said:

Eh, I don't really agree. It's definitely not as common as it is on the east coast, but I've seen it around.

Undeux said:
Eh, I don't really agree. It's definitely not as common as it is on the east coast, but I've seen it around.

Yeah, Whole Paycheck has them in the same area as the fancy cheeses. There's also a decent Italian deli near my work that has it I think.

Zyzyxxz

Undeux said:

depends on your area but italian shops are usually ignored in my area and are much of a neighborhood secret.

I suppose if you head out to West LA you will find more but in most super markets prosciutto is always stuck with the "fancy" cheeses and deli which most people tend to ignore.

Some mac and cheese ready to go into the oven:
mc.jpg

The finished stuff along with some steamed broccoli and grilled chicken with barbecue sauce:
mc_dinner.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:

It's quite readily available in the SF Bay Area... I've seen/had prosciutto wrapped melon in quite a few restaurants/cafes/grocery stores from Sacramento to LA. It's been a staple of Californian cuisine (esp if the restaurant specializes in tapas) for a while.

santouras

Zyzyxxz said:

that sucks, prosciutto should be in everything imo......

Tf53

SRG01 said:
Baking Mac and Cheese?
We actually have a similar dish in Finland, except instead of cheese, we use milk and eggs. It's also common to put ground beef in there as well. Do they make this type of macaroni casserol elsewhere?

Flynn

Hey, guys. It's been a long time since I've visited this thread. I'm super glad to see its going strong.

I'm back in California and in a big kitchen with gas so I'm starting to cook way more than I used to (my place in Minneapolis was tiny).

So I don't have pics yet but have already had fun in the kitchen. Started making frijoles negros from scratch again. Cooking plantains, yuca and other fun Cuban stuff.

My sister-in-law is quite the cook. For the fourth she planned an awesome dinner with roast pork, cheesy grits, my beans, yuca with mojo and a couple of excellent hand made ice creams -- a salty caramel and a cream cheese with guava swirl. The second was my favorite.

I'm looking for an asian market so I can start experiementing with green curry paste. I made pad thai last night (but used a box mix for the sauce).

Any suggestions, links to old posts, etc. would be appreciated.

Also: I'm swimming in avocados again. It's like heaven here.

SRG01 said:
Baking Mac and Cheese?
Yes? That's not "Kraft Dinner" or the like; it is that which Kraft Dinner and the like are a bad imitation of. Bechamel sauce, cheddar, and jack mixed with cooked macaroni and... baked. Pretty common American comfort food, and one of the major dishes in the soul food tradition, too.

Here's a good recipe, pretty similar to the above.
Tf53 said:
We actually have a similar dish in Finland, except instead of cheese, we use milk and eggs. It's also common to put ground beef in there as well. Do they make this type of macaroni casserol elsewhere?
Eggs are sometimes added to the sorta-Mornay as they are in the recipe I linked above. Ground beef isn't so common, I don't think, because this is usually eaten as a side dish, even though it's a really rich one. Green chiles are probably the most common other addition where I live, in the Southwestern US.

Zyzyxxz

Flynn said:
Hey, guys. It's been a long time since I've visited this thread. I'm super glad to see its going strong.

I'm back in California and in a big kitchen with gas so I'm starting to cook way more than I used to (my place in Minneapolis was tiny).

So I don't have pics yet but have already had fun in the kitchen. Started making frijoles negros from scratch again. Cooking plantains, yuca and other fun Cuban stuff.

My sister-in-law is quite the cook. For the fourth she planned an awesome dinner with roast pork, cheesy grits, my beans, yuca with mojo and a couple of excellent hand made ice creams -- a salty caramel and a cream cheese with guava swirl. The second was my favorite.

I'm looking for an asian market so I can start experiementing with green curry paste. I made pad thai last night (but used a box mix for the sauce).

Any suggestions, links to old posts, etc. would be appreciated.

Also: I'm swimming in avocados again. It's like heaven here.

Where are you located in CA?

Generally here are some Asian supermarkets you might see around:

Mitsuwa (Japanese market) typically stuff is kinda pricy but quality is really good and if its from Japan you can probably find it.

99 Ranch Markets are somewhat all over SoCal and you can find pretty much everything you would need. Though it is considered Chinese they carry Vietnamese, Thai, and some Japanese stuff. This would be your best all around Asian market with decent prices.

Nijiya market? I've some only some but its another Japanese one and some stuff can be pricey since lots of it is imported.

Flynn

Zyzyxxz said:
Where are you located in CA?

Generally here are some Asian supermarkets you might see around:

Mitsuwa (Japanese market) typically stuff is kinda pricy but quality is really good and if its from Japan you can probably find it.

99 Ranch Markets are somewhat all over SoCal and you can find pretty much everything you would need. Though it is considered Chinese they carry Vietnamese, Thai, and some Japanese stuff. This would be your best all around Asian market with decent prices.

Nijiya market? I've some only some but its another Japanese one and some stuff can be pricey since lots of it is imported.

I'm in Yucaipa -- which is a bit out in the boonies. Near Redlands and San Bernadino. Looks like the closest 99 Ranch is still a haul for me -- in Pomona. I found a decent Mexican market around here (a bit easier, admittedly) so I ought to be able to find something. If not I can make jaunts into L.A. proper for special ingredients. Also have a friend who lives in Rancho who can probably suggest a place.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
slidewinder, looking good! thanks for sharing. reminds me of making mac and cheese again sometime in the future. tonight will be Schnitzel, though.

jarosh, how did the pizza dough turn out?

keep sharing, people!

First ever major meal (for me):
11t7nkh.jpg

------->

qqrbs6.jpg

I know it looks like ass, but it was pretty damn awesome! Next time I'll do my own seasoning though.
Spent more than an hour on it...feels like I gave birth to a child :lol

dealing with raw meat is fucking disgusting :(

Truant

Zyzyxxz said:
This is the 2nd time I've seen it, and I gotta wonder what is it like? I'm really curious and wanna try it myself now.

You NEED to try this. One of the best food experiences of my life. I used to eat that stuff every day when I was in Italy last summer.

Zyzyxxz

Phantast2k said:
First ever major meal (for me):
11t7nkh.jpg

------->

http://i27.tinypic.com/qqrbs6.jpg[IMG]

I know it looks like ass, but it was pretty damn awesome! Next time I'll do my own seasoning though.
Spent more than an hour on it...feels like I gave birth to a child :lol

[spoiler]dealing with raw meat is fucking disgusting :([/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Nah it looks like any other homemade fried rice I've seen, good job.

Most of my friends don't like dealing with raw meat but I think its an essential experience that everyone should have because it makes you realize the work that has gone into sacrificing an animal and getting it to your plate.

Yet another pizza tip: In order to avoid oil pools which can be annoying at times when topping with pepperoni, dust them up good and proper with grated parmesan before cooking it up so as to prevent any as well as give the old pepperoni a tad more interesting appearance. :D

If I can happen across a good oppourtunity, I think I've figured out a way to make something of a pizza out of a biscuit. I'll keep my dark designs under my hat until I attempt the deed though, so as to not bring shame.

For great justice: Search Justin Wilson on Youtube and watch the Garlic Bread video---definitely gonna try that at some point!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Phantas2k, thanks for sharing and welcome to the cooking experience. The work with raw materials (including meat, fish, poulty and the like) is a vital part of the cooking process and gets easier over time, practice goes a long way.

Here's Schnitzel (stock pic):
smallP1030051.jpg

santouras

I had the prosciutto/melon combination at a restaurant on the weekend. Was very.... odd. I love Prosciutto as well and ham and pineapple is my fave pizza so yeah..... interesting to have but can't say that I'd be ordering it again :)

Kal

I made roast turkey drumsticks for the first time last week.... it was better than I expected ( I just rubbed some seasoning on them them and threw them in the oven :lol ) but the meat had no flavour and it was a bit dry (inside).... I'm considering brining; has anyone brined turkey drumsticks before? How long should I brine them? Any recipes?

Thanks a lot... :)

Zyzyxxz

Kal said:
I made roast turkey drumsticks for the first time last week.... it was better than I expected ( I just rubbed some seasoning on them them and threw them in the oven :lol ) but the meat had no flavour and it was a bit dry (inside).... I'm considering brining; has anyone brined turkey drumsticks before? How long should I brine them? Any recipes?

Thanks a lot... :)

brining is very easy and simple.

I dunno what turkey should use but for pork chops I typically use a good amount of salt and sugar then a few bay leaves and a few spoons of soy sauce.

I think if you just stick to salt and sugar it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom