• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
zoe, it's testament to the prevailing excellence of simple food that the most delicious, tantalizing dish from your pictures is that egg sandwich. eggs and cheese.

what could be more perfect?

Exhumed

beelzebozo said:
zoe, it's testament to the prevailing excellence of simple food that the most delicious, tantalizing dish from your pictures is that egg sandwich. eggs and cheese.

what could be more perfect?

That explains why a medium rare steak seared with just salt and pepper is so amazing.

Ceres said:
I did not like that Barefoot Contessa. "Oh, excuse me while I pick fresh herbs from my garden and use only grass fed beef."

I only like the Barefoot Contessa. My baked eggs is from her show. And she signs your cookbooks for you and writes a note when you buy them from her website :D

What I like about her food is that it's simple. Flavors are simple and recipes don't have a million ingredients or techniques that you have to learn. You also don't have to use grass fed beef but she does like quality, fresh ingredients. If it's something with tomatoes, the tomatoes are going to be star.

Another thing I like is that her recipes are simple to master so you can make them over and over again without effort. Mr Mouth is the official birthday cake maker with her chocolate cake recipe covered in chocolate ganache and raspberries, so good. He also makes her Filet of Beef Bourguignon on special occasions. It's the best meal ever. She also has a damn good steakhouse steak and onion rings recipe that's dead easy but tastes like a $50 restaurant meal.

Ceres said:
I did not like that Barefoot Contessa. "Oh, excuse me while I pick fresh herbs from my garden and use only grass fed beef."

I've never seen Contessa but I thought that was hilarious. Does she go to her garden barefooted or something? It's possible to pick fresh herbs even if you don't have a garden if you have a window with plenty of sun. I put all my herbs in pots here:
3527116509_832b7f132d_o.jpg

Also, it's not a TV show, but I really like Mark Bittman's blog on the NYT: http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/

A lot of the stuff he makes has simple ingredients, and you can tell he really cares about eating plain and simple foods most of the time. He doesn't usually post explicit recipes, but more of a guide, which I think is how it should be.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
beelzebozo said:
found a recipe for a pizza hut style "pan pizza" in the latest COOK'S ILLUSTRATED and couldn't resist tinkering with it. oh god oh god buttery crust, come to me

2ed36o4.jpg

damn that looks good. Whenever I try and make a pizza base it's always too dense.

Any chance this recipe is online somewhere?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
D4Danger said:
damn that looks good. Whenever I try and make a pizza base it's always too dense.

Any chance this recipe is online somewhere?

got a lot going on right now, but just know:

[1] i saw your post,
[2] the pizza was delicious, and
[3] i'm going to try and remember to come back tomorrow and type it up for you

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
beelzebozo said:
got a lot going on right now, but just know:

[1] i saw your post,
[2] the pizza was delicious, and
[3] i'm going to try and remember to come back tomorrow and type it up for you

That would be great. Thank you :)

A PSA for any of Iron-GAF that ever thinks about opening an eatery:

Should you find yourself leaning in the direction of opening up a place that serves burgers, like let's say....I dunno....TURKEY burgers it is IMPERATIVE that you adhere to the standard rules of engagement.

If somebody orders a plain burger as a test drive, serve them a plain burger...some folk hate certain things...like say ONIONS. This is supposed to be a rather simple thing to avoid...just leave said topping(s) off and all is well. Right?

Well, the more important first step, which is apparently actually a STEP for some poor souls, is to not get the bright idea to mix a ton of onions INTO THE MEAT ITSELF and not inform the customer in the slightest.

I had to fight that meal down and could feel it all night..ACK! :(

What's next, mixing Pickles into the meat itself on the sly?! :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
D4Danger said:
That would be great. Thank you :)

here we go! the milk helps the dough stay really tender, and the oil (though it seems like a lot) acts on the bottom of the dough almost like it would a focaccia, "frying" it for that golden brown lustre.

PAN PIZZA DOUGH

1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons skim milk, warm to touch
2 teaspoons sugar
2 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 and 1/4 teaspoons rapid-rise yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. mix milk, sugar, 2 tablespoons oil, and yeast in measuring cup or bowl, whisking with a fork to combine. let stand until frothy. mix flour and salt in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (i use a stand mixer here, but you can knead the dough in a bowl or on a work surface if you don't have one). turn the machine to low and add milk/yeast mixture. after it comes together, increase speed of mixer and knead until smooth, about five minutes. remove from bowl, form into a ball, and move to a bowl you've oiled. cover with plastic wrap and let sit until doubled in size.

2. transfer dough to lightly floured surface, divide in half (or, if you're using a big pan like me, keep it all in one big ball!), and roll each piece of dough into a ball. roll and shape dough into 9 and 1/2 inch round and press with knuckles into an oiled 9 inch cake pan. cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm spot until puffy and risen, twenty minutes or so. heat oven to 425 degrees.

3. top dough with sauce, your cheese of choice, your toppings of choice (i went with sauteed oyster and portabella mushrooms spiked with some anchovies), and bake for 20-25 minutes. let stand in the pan for about a minute, cut a piece, and enjoy!

i should say that if you're not going to eat it all in one sitting (presumably with some friends, HA), it's a good idea to get it out of the pan. the dough tends to steam a little if you don't and get soggy, hence why you see that thick funderful crust in full profile in my picture.

now, off to make breakfast!

icarus-daedelus said:
For rib-eye, definitely. I like most (beef) steaks with a liberal helping of bearnaise, though.

not to be a banana-rider, but you have exceedingly good taste in almost everything.

i love bearnaise with crab legs, too.

Found an old pic of some chicken broccoli casserole.

2yxf2w8.jpg

Some General Tao my girl made a few weeks ago. It was good but not as good as the Chinese place we usually get it from.

240ydn5.jpg

tirminyl

Yes Boss! said:
Also, Cook's Illustrated is a nice little monthly...there are always a few good things in it each month.

Thanks for that link!

nakedsushi said:
I've never seen Contessa but I thought that was hilarious. Does she go to her garden barefooted or something?

:lol Barefoot Contessa is a name of a store she bought when she entered the food industry. Since then she has sold the store but she still uses the name in the books and tv show. Her name is actually Ina Garten. I really like her show and the recipes, though I never attempted to make anything as I am trying to build up my cookware and I am in need of several different things.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just wow. Looking at this page alone seems like you guys have taken it to another notch.
Amazing looking dishes and some good photography as well. Well done, ladies and gentlemen.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used a little less)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon grated, fresh ginger (I used a little bit more)
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili power
salt to taste
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup PLAIN yogurt (once accidentally got vanilla yogurt, it did not end well)
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1) Put all spices in dry pan, toast until fragrant and aromatic. Be sure not to burn them.
2) Put toasted spices aside (in a bowl or something) and wipe out the pan.
3) Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat, saute onion until lightly browned
4) Add garlic, spices, sugar and salt. Continue stirring for 2 minutes
5) Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt and coconut milk.
6) Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutues
7)Remove bay leaf (very important, bay leaf is disgusting if you eat it) and stir in lemon juice
8) Simmer 5 more minutes.
9) Serve on rice, or side of your choice.
I made this recipe recently, turned out really good.

tirminyl

octopusman said:
Does anyone know of a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe? I've really had a hankering for them lately.

The one and only that you will ever need:

1 box of Duncan Hines Devils Food Cake Mix
1/2 cup oil (I use canola)
2 eggs (beaten)
Chocolate chips (I use 1/2 bag of Hershey's chocolate chips)

Mix together, place small balls on cookie sheet and bake at 375° for 8 minutes. They are easy to burn so be careful. Remove and let cool. They will be ever so tender.

Warning: Some cookies may disappear when transferring from cookie sheet to cooling rack. After video playback, I learned that I was eating them. Also, I am not responsible for any addiction gained from eating these cookies :lol

octopusman said:
Does anyone know of a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe? I've really had a hankering for them lately.

My wife is the baker in the house, I'll get her recipe for you.

Edit, here it is.
250gm Butter
3/4 cup Castor Sugar (can use regular sugar)
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
3 Eggs
Tsp Vanilla Essence
1 3/4 cup Flour
400gm of Choc Chips

Cream the Butter/Sugars - Can't be stressed how important this is, if you don't have a KitchenAid/Hobart then use your hands, the warmth of your hands will soften the butter and your fingers are far more effective than a woodenspoon.

Mix in the beaten eggs gradually, don't do it too much or the mixture will split, if it looks like it's going to split add all the eggs and the flour to stop it getting worse.

Add choc chips

Fold in flour

Don't over work it

Eat all the dough before baking or continue to next step.

Bake at 180-190 for about five minutes, can be done big or small but cooking time will vary.

Doytch

Dinner
w20q42.png

Some sliced sun-dried tomatoes on the bottom, Greek yog and tabasco mixed into the scrambled eggs.

Berries!
rrnlmo.png

A rice pudding-esque recipe that I grabbed from my mom a while ago. It's a lot less desserty, she used to make it as a main meal. Normally it's just milk boiled into leftover with sugar and cinnamon, and then I put a layer down in a casserole, layer of grated granny smith apples, and a layer of rice. This time I subbed the GS apples for diced Pink Lady apples and strawberries, and mixed in mint when I was boiling the milk. The mint cut the sweetness of the apples and strawberries well.

Adventues in Gyro pizzas, Chapter...something or other:

That time again, only this time I'm out of pepperoni for this week and next on account of the Farmer's Market running out at some point. So, I was reckoning on just some cheese gyro pizzas dusted up with parmesan.

Of course, this is me here, so I had to mess with it SOMEHOW...

By the time I ate the first one, I had my idea. I noticed we had some Irish Herb/Garlic Butter in the frid so I decided I'd trying buttering the top of the gyro all the way over and then add the sauce/cheese as per usual to see if I can add some zing that way---plus it'd been quite awhile since that butter had been used for anything.

I couldn't find a good knife though, so of course I wound up stabbing through the irritating wrap it came in somewhat..it'll get salvaged somehow. Said not as intended knife didn't work well for spreading either, so I did the obvious thing of using my fingers to at least kinda spread it around thinly then hurry up and top it.

All told, despite my being sure there wasn't near enough butter nor was it remotely evenly spread---it was GREAT. The garlic/herb didn't clash with the gyro base at all, no issues with mess visa vie the cheese and sauce...it just flat out worked well enough to the point I believe it earned a spot as a regular staple---or at least something to use, more correctly, more often from here on out.

Now I've gotta wonder from here what direction do I take it next week...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Since it's chanterelle season in this humbl corner of the world, we had a few of them on pasta:

smallP1010248.jpg

smallP1010256.jpg

tonight will be a light BBQ with Bratwurst, marinated chicken and turkey kebabs.

I humbly request IronGAF's opinion...

Sorry, the video quality sucks balls and I don't have a camera that can take pictures any better, but tonight I made a HowTo for my pizza recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_8KNcc2cYA

It's cheap Jiffy pizza crust with mozzarella, pesto sauce, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, avocado, pine nuts, and feta cheese sprinkled over the top.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just finished making and eating this...

3782135568_37e90446d2_o.jpg

Pan fried red potato slices, scrambled eggs and French toast

Oh god, it was so good

Berries!

White Chocolate and Raspberry Soufflé.

Whisking the egg yolks into the flour/butter/sugar/raspberries.
p1040040.jpg

Folding the egg whites
p1040049.jpg

raspberries at the bottom
p1040042.jpg

Wasn't sure how they would raise in the mugs
p1040050.jpg

Eat it.
p1040052.jpg

Doytch

Brianemone said:
Berries!

White Chocolate and Raspberry Soufflé.

Souffle looks awesome. I've always been afraid to make one because I don't have any of the proper cups/containers for it; only mugs and I'm not sure if they're oven-proof. Would they have to have straight sides also?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Brianemone, VERY nice! extra props for obtaining raspberries, even if frozen, at this time of the year and hemisphere ;).

Anyone dare to challenge him? Would need a really strong contender.

beelzebozo, user friendly and Commodore_Perry, thanks to you too for the great contributions.

Commodore_Perry, videos are a good idea, more of it! a few ingredients less on the pizza would be better in my opinion. you could add a fistful or two more cheese to my liking ;)

Keep it coming, people! I already got a nice idea for the next cookoff ingredient.

Doytch said:
Souffle looks awesome. I've always been afraid to make one because I don't have any of the proper cups/containers for it; only mugs and I'm not sure if they're oven-proof. Would they have to have straight sides also?

It might not rise as much as it would in a straight sided container but it wouldn't affect the end result too much anyway.

Trifle (Zuppa Inglese)
Leftover raspberries, fresh pastry cream, sponge and whipped cream. Add a little brandy to the whipped cream and then mix it into the little pastry cream instead of layering them separately. Also pistachio’s are awesome as a little contrast with the rest of the sweet ingredients.

p1040059.jpg

p1040060.jpg

Truant

Made the most amazing burrito last night. No pics, but here's what I did.

Made a marinade out of orange juice, cumin seeds, chilli, black pepper, and garlic, and stir fried some beef in the sauce until it was cooked. I then fried some chopped potatoes in butter, and put it all in a couple of flour tortillas, with mozarella and cheddar, and some hot sauce. Served it with sour cream and ice cold coke. Best meal in a long while.

beje

Banned
Here's my very first attempt ever at making home-made burgers, but I decided to give it a twist: I made tuna burgers :3

Ingredients:
- a couple slices of onion
- a clove of garlic
- an egg
- 3 soup spoons of breadcrumbs
- 2 small cans of tuna
- wheat flour
- olive oil

Just chop the garlic and onion as small as you can and fry it in a bit of oil until it gets golden, then beat the egg and mix with the fried onion and garlic, the breadcrumbs and the tuna (without the oil that comes in the can!). Mix it with a fork until you get an homogeneous paste, then start adding flour and keep mixing. When you're confortable with the results, divide it into two parts and make the burgers. Pass them through the flour one more time to avoid them tearing into pieces and fry them with a little oil (no need to fill the frying pan, just enough to barely cover the surface). Serve as you wish!

I burnt them a little but they were deliciuos anyway.

P8040069.JPG

P8040070.JPG

Yes Boss!

Since I'm taking this year off from meat (and half way through the year!) I'm using the remaining months to teach myself vegetarian Indian dishes. Not from any particular region...just making what sounds fun. If anybody knows of any veggie Indian dishes for me to attempt then please let me know the name and I'll tackle it.

Here are a few mains I made in the last few days:

First is Rajma Masala. I don't have a pressure-cooker so I had to cook the kidney beans old-school style with an overnight soak and a few hours on the the stove.

rajmamasala.jpg

Second, is Mattar Paneer. Just a pound of peas and paneer in a heavily spiced and sweetened gravy. I used a bit of jaggery at the end to sweeten since I thought if might work better than refined sugar.

mattarpaneer.jpg

Third is Palak Paneer, the restaurant staple. I made this one restaurant-style with the spinach completely disintegrated and fortified at the end with a bit of heavy cream.

palakpaneer.jpg

Also, made some whole garam masala spice. Just cardamon, clove, and cinnamon stick ground. Before:

garammasala.jpg

After:

ground.jpg

Finally, made a batch of tamarind chutney. This was fun making it from tamarind pulp and sending it through my chinese hat to get a highly filtered product. Also, it has some black salt in it which is truly one of the world's most unique flavors.

tamarind.jpg

WTFing

Banned
nakedsushi said:
I didn't watch all the way at the end, but in the beginning, the white sliced cubes are paneer, which is like an Indian cheese.
Thank you for the answer, and yes boss for the detailed recipe. Maybe one day I'll try to do it myself ;)

Zyzyxxz

Ignore the cherry tomatoes, I just threw them in because I wanted to use them before they expired.

I was testing out a carbonara with mozzarella instead of paramsen and it turned out pretty decent.

3789824337_c1ebc3368d_o.jpg

It's a very simple dish as I just cook 1/4 in slices of bacon with some shallots and garlic and then add back in the pasta with some of the reserved pasta water. Turn off heat.

Then mix an egg yolk or two, some heavy cream, black pepper, minced parsley, and a handful of Parmesan cheese. Add mixture into the pan/pot with the pasta, mix and allow residual heat to cook the sauce.

Got some nice corn so we decided to a bit of grilling today! :D Grilled them right in the husk (cleared the silk and brushed with just a bit of butter). :9

5773_603886744568_60710639_34972632_835132_n.jpg

5773_603886764528_60710639_34972635_6631250_n.jpg

Also one of our trees are fruiting so I went a'pickin:
5773_603899359288_60710639_34973093_7632573_n.jpg

Zyzyxxz

CrystalGemini said:
Got some nice corn so we decided to a bit of grilling today! :D Grilled them right in the husk (cleared the silk and brushed with just a bit of butter). :9

5773_603886744568_60710639_34972632_835132_n.jpg

How do you get rid of the silk without accidentally ripping off the husk? I find it annoying enough to remove the husk and them clean off the silk

Some of the husk does rip but you don't need all of it to grill the corn anyway. I just pulled the husk back, cleared the silk off and tied the husk at the top. Easy-beezy. :D

Leaving some of the corn exposed while grilling gives it a nice smokey flavor, so I didn't worry too much about covering every mm with the husk.

Tf53

OnkelC said:
Anyone dare to challenge him? Would need a really strong contender.

I like a challenge. :p

Give me a couple of days, I'll get back to you with pics. :)

Psst! I'm not being
completely
serious.

Ceres

Banned
Anyone want to give me some suggestions for something to cook tonight? I need to learn some new dishes but it's so hard to go through recipes online sometimes.
Preferably something that doesn't take much more than an hour between prep and cook time. Also, nothing that involves fish. I have to stop by the store so don't worry about ingredients I may or may not have.
I really want to make some Indian food but I've been sick for about a week now and don't think my stomach could handle that just yet. I'll take some suggestions for future reference though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ceres said:
Anyone want to give me some suggestions for something to cook tonight? I need to learn some new dishes but it's so hard to go through recipes online sometimes.
Preferably something that doesn't take much more than an hour between prep and cook time. Also, nothing that involves fish. I have to stop by the store so don't worry about ingredients I may or may not have.
I really want to make some Indian food but I've been sick for about a week now and don't think my stomach could handle that just yet. I'll take some suggestions for future reference though.

i had the best sandwich just the other night. here's what i did:

1 loaf soft italian country bread, sliced thick (1" thick or so)
shaved turkey
hot capicola
hard salami
american cheese
fried egg
thinly sliced red onion
shredded iceberg lettuce, dressed with a light cole slaw dressing i made with olive oil mayo
heirloom tomato

stack your meats and fry them on a griddle for 2 minutes per side, until they're caramelized, colored, crispy. add the cheese. cover and let the cheese melt. while this is happening, fry the egg. i find that steaming it--adding a touch of water after the egg starts to set and covering--is the most fool proof method. when both those elements are ready, put them on the luxurious soft white italian bread, top with the onion, cole slaw, and tomato.

and then dig into that yolky goodness.

blahness

Ceres said:

I dont have a recipe to offer because I am just starting out on cooking, but I do have a suggestion for going through recipes online. I use google reader to cull recipes from a ton of websites using their rss feeds. This enables me to search all of the sites at once through google reader for any base ingredient like chicken breast or veal as well as if i wanted to see all of the jerk chicken recipes it allows me quickly find the best one.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
a sandwich is a good starter, because nearly everything can be stashed in it. My personal fave is a club sandwich variant:
smallCIMG3177.jpg

smallCIMG3179.jpg

smallCIMG3183.jpg

smallCIMG3186.jpg

smallCIMG3188.jpg

or just plain meat and cheese:
smallCIMG3191.jpg

smallCIMG3194.jpg

Yes Boss!

^^^Damn that looks great OnkelC.

Cream is the next challenge? I think I'll be making some Ice Cream (a funky flavor). I just put the ice cream maker in the freezer to get it all frozen for later tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom