• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Boss! said:
Cream is the next challenge? I think I'll be making some Ice Cream (a funky flavor). I just put the ice cream maker in the freezer to get it all frozen for later tonight.

That's what I am thinking.

Also, great looking Sammich ONkel

beje

Banned
I didn't want to do something overly complicated so I made a sweet and spicy sauce for my beef milanese with cream, some cheese, chopped onion and hot paprika

P8050071.JPG

I'm still a n00b at cooking :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
doesn't matter, looks like a fine and filling dish. Thanks for sharing!

Sidenote: Did you actually use beef for a cutlet?

Yes Boss!

Here is my shot at a Cream recipe. It is Thandai flavored ice cream...Almond, Black Pepper, Fennel, Rose, Cardamon, Poppy Seed.

Ingredients (almonds have been soaking for six hours and peeled):

P1010863.jpg

Almond and spices ground to a fine milky paste:

P1010864.jpg

One cup of milk blended into the mash and then strained (this is done twice to fully extract all the almond and spice flavor):

P1010865.jpg

Cream and spiced milk brought to boil:

P1010869.jpg

Finished custard/ice cream base with 1/2 cup of sugar and two egg yolks mixed in:

P1010872.jpg

Custard strained again, then chilled:

P1010870.jpg

Into the ice cream maker for twenty minutes:

P1010874.jpg

Portioned into remekins and and set in the freezer, then upturned onto a plate with mint and a pinch of cinnamon:

P1010878.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I was just reading about a similar "exotic" ice cream earlier, Yes Boss. I bet that's deliiiicious! Very pretty presentation, too.

Some of the ingredients for my dish have been prepped this morning, and I'll be doing the rest for tonight's dinner.

Exhumed

I will be prepping hot wings tonight and will be making them tomorrow. Pics tonight and tomorrow!

I know its not exactly "cream" but the end result is saucy (creamy?) hot wings!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Excuse the desk, but there's no where else to eat :lol

I've gone into cheap cooking because I am now poor.

eim7he.jpg

Beef still tastes like beef despite the salt, onion, paprika, and garlic I put in it. Still delicious.

Zyzyxxz

Hazaro said:
Excuse the desk, but there's no where else to eat :lol

I've gone into cheap cooking because I am now poor.

http://i25.tinypic.com/eim7he.jpg[IMG]

Beef still tastes like beef despite the salt, onion, paprika, and garlic I put in it. Still delicious.[/QUOTE]

I use to have the same keyboard and it use to be in alot of my pics!

Like this one:[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2251/3534672361_37bc350a08.jpg

I've upgraded to a Razer Lycosa though.

Solaros

beje said:
I didn't want to do something overly complicated so I made a sweet and spicy sauce for my beef milanese with cream, some cheese, chopped onion and hot paprika

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/19/793936/P8050071.JPG[img]

I'm still a n00b at cooking :lol[/QUOTE]
How did you make that sauce? It looks delicious.

Also, did you just flatten the meat out with a mallet and then bread it? If so, with what?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zyzyxxz said:
I use to have the same keyboard and it use to be in alot of my pics!

Like this one:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2251/3534672361_37bc350a08.jpg[IMG]

I've upgraded to a Razer Lycosa though.[/QUOTE]
Heh, I have the red one, but at night it's easier to read the keys with the light off :lol

ccarver3

Not sure if cream is still the ingredient but here is my contribution - Hungarian Goulash served over brown rice and broccoli

e5h9u8.jpg

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2 lbs beef chuck or beef round steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup minced onion
1 garlic clove (minced or sliced)
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
1/4 cup of heavy cream

Served over brown rice in the picture, also go over pasta.

Broccoli is optional (blanched for 5 minutes)

Directions

Heat Oil in skillet and add beef, onion and garlic; cook and stir until meat is brown and onion is tender.
Add Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, sugar, salt, paprika cayenne and 1 1/2 cups water.
Cover; simmer 2 to 3 hours.
Stir 1/4 cup of heavy cream gradually into meat mixture.
Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve over rice or pasta.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
S6306104.jpg

Spicy baked sweet potato and corn bread with tomatillo cream sauce, pickled red onion and roasted cauliflower.

I wanted to make a recipe for sweet potato enchiladas that I found, but the grocery store didn't have masa to make the corn tortillas, so I improvised a bit and used the same basic ingredients for more of a casserole-style dish with the corn bread baked right on top of the spiced sweet potato and cream mixture.

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:
S6306104.jpg

Spicy baked sweet potato and corn bread with tomatillo cream sauce, pickled red onion and roasted cauliflower.

I wanted to make a recipe for sweet potato enchiladas that I found, but the grocery store didn't have masa to make the corn tortillas, so I improvised a bit and used the same basic ingredients for more of a casserole-style dish with the corn bread baked right on top of the spiced sweet potato and cream mixture.

dang, amazing job on plating and presentation.

In the most formal way I must say, NOM NOM NOM

ccarver3

Cosmic Bus said:
[MG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg192/cosmic_bus78/S6306104.jpg[/MG]

Looks fantastic, sounds delicious.

Yes Boss!

Cosmic Bus said:
I was just reading about a similar "exotic" ice cream earlier, Yes Boss. I bet that's deliiiicious! Very pretty presentation, too.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the flavors and knew the fennel and pepper wasn't going to be an issue since it is a well-know holiday drink...just wasn't quite sure if it would work out since usually water is used to "juice" the spices and I could only use milk. Everything worked out fantastic, though, and it is shockingly complex for an ice cream flavor. There is a variation on Thandai that is made legally with marijuana but I wasn't about to go that exotic :lol

My plating skills are not great but this thread encourages at least an effort. Something tells me a professional cook would use a bluish plate and sprinkle crumbled almond around or on top. Thing is, it takes so much effort to get the silken consistency with three passes on the fine mesh that I wanted it to all be smooth.

Also,

Made a nice healthful okra dish called Bhindi Curry. Very lean and flavorful way to cook a lb of okra. Tomatoes, onion, fresh green chiles, and spices with a touch of lemon and mango powder at the end. It is a side but could easily function as a main.

P1010886.jpg

Doytch

So I bought a half-dozen scallops yesterday. First time making them, might even be the first time eating them. Seared three yesterday along with some veggies. And today I made my "cream" dish. Didn't actually use cream for fat reasons, though.

307t1c4.jpg

The sauce is actually goat cheese, greek yoghurt, sun-dried tomatoes, and parsley. Threw the scallops on top of some tomatoes.

My favorite post-workout meal: grass-fed beef liver and heart w/ onions stir fried in bacon fat.

My apologies for the shitty quality - I can't seem to find my real camera.

2v28jsx.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
really nice dishes, folks! It's good to see that the presentaion pics have improved a lot over the last two years.

Sat night once again, so of course, another tale of Gyro pizzas:

Upon finding an actual butter knife and cutting some slices with it a few minutes BEFORE I aimed to actually start making the gyro pizza, I managed to get a pretty good spread going despite suspecting I didn't have quite enough of an herb butter portions when all was said and done. On the experimental side tonight, there was some leftover baked turkey breast from last night so I used it for topping to good effect and a right tasty pizza as I've never had a Turkey option at any pizza place by my reckoning before.

I've discerned a bit more of the nature of the gyro pizza with this night's bout. Pretty much, you've got a maximum of say 5-7 minutes to cook the thing before the underside gets hard and/or black---coupled with the useful, but somewhat troublesome, attribute that the gyro itself whereby the lot of it only remains warm for a few scant minutes before a quick descent to room temp. A gyro simply doesn't have the heat retention properties that the usual doughy pizzas do...so even a fast eater like me has to think things through somewhat to finish in time for the last bite(s) to still be good and warm---outside of using something like a hotplate I suppose but that's something I lack. The time limits are especially irksome in that sets some limits on what you can do topping wise(mainly amount) within it that are not present otherwise....but I think I've got a rough solution in mind trying to play to the "get it done fast then eat it in 1/4 or less the time it took to cook" to the advantages inherent.

Yes Boss!

Here is a spicy, spicy roasted eggplant dish. has about ten chilis and is quite hot. I roasted the eggplant at 500 degrees for about thirty minutes in the oven then added it to the slowly-simmering tomato gravy.

P1010901.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Tonight's dinner:

Stuffed hungarian peppers, 2 ways:

1. Bread crumbs, asiago cheese, mozz cheese, grilled

2. Same stuffing as above, but put into a pyrex dish with marinara sauce and put in the oven

Main course:

Grilled NY strip steaks with chimichurri
Grilled portobello caps
Sauteed onions
Iceberg lettuce wedge with blue cheese and bacon bits

Steak turned out awesome. Will need to start taking pictures for prep but my wife will think I'm nuts.

OnkelC said:
I'd love to hear a recipe/see prep pics.

Can post up a recipe but prep pics are lacking this round. I might make a Profiterole Tower soon though so I can take some then.

Ingredients

250ml Water
100g Butter
125g Flour
4 Eggs
Pinch of Sugar and Salt

Method

Place water, butter, salt and sugar in a pan and bring to the boil take off the heat
Sift flour into the water/butter and mix in until even
Put back on the heat and mix constantly, don’t stop until the mixture sticks together and looks glossy.
Put dough into mixing bowl to cool to a touchable temperature. While cooling beat together the eggs
Beat the eggs into the cooled dough little by little until the mixture drops from the spoon evenly
Pipe into shape
Bake at 210 celcius for 15-20 minutes, drop the temp to 180 and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes until dried on the inside.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Price Dalton said:
My favorite post-workout meal: grass-fed beef liver and heart w/ onions stir fried in bacon fat.

My apologies for the shitty quality - I can't seem to find my real camera.

2v28jsx.jpg

Strong Belwas is that you?

I really have to get back into cooking more now that summer vacation is over. :(

Here's a crappy pic of a stir-fry I made with chicken, red onions, ginger and garlic.

IMG_1753.jpg

Keen said:
Strong Belwas is that you?

I really have to get back into cooking more now that summer vacation is over. :(

Here's a crappy pic of a stir-fry I made with chicken, red onions, ginger and garlic.

IMG_1753.jpg

Dang that looks good. How did you prepare it?

Yes Boss!

So,

I need some advice on how to keep my wok going. It is a carbon steel flat-bottom chinese version that I will be using on an electric range and I just dug it out of storage (been in there for ten years). First thing I did was clean off the old rusted season and then reseasoned it to the blue stage (below). It now sits with a coating of oil. Is it now ready to cook on? And those with wok experience, what are your procedures to keep it going. Is it similar to cast iron? I'm familiar with that procedure.

thanks!

P1010918.jpg

Damn that's a nice looking wok! Good job on re-seasoning it. I think it's ready to be cooked with. If you're still unsure, I would stir fry on medium-high heat a handful of the Chinese Trinity: garlic, ginger, scallions in a few TBS of oil for a few minutes till they start to burn, then toss them out. Then, wait for the pan and oil to cool and then wipe off any excess oil with a dry paper towel.

THEN it's ready to be cooked on =)

I treat my wok the same as my cast iron (rinse with water, NO SOAP!, heat up to let the water dry, wipe down, and then wipe with thin layer of oil) and it's been fine.

Yes Boss!

nakedsushi said:
Damn that's a nice looking wok! Good job on re-seasoning it. I think it's ready to be cooked with. If you're still unsure, I would stir fry on medium-high heat a handful of the Chinese Trinity: garlic, ginger, scallions in a few TBS of oil for a few minutes till they start to burn, then toss them out. Then, wait for the pan and oil to cool and then wipe off any excess oil with a dry paper towel.

THEN it's ready to be cooked on =)

I treat my wok the same as my cast iron (rinse with water, NO SOAP!, heat up to let the water dry, wipe down, and then wipe with thin layer of oil) and it's been fine.

Thanks for the help! Sounds like I'm good to go. I was mainly concerned about metal taste in food but when wiping with an oiled paper towel the towel comes out clear. That is a good idea, to take some small ingredients and give 'em a trial run.

So, treat it exactly like american cast iron. Sounds easy enough.!

EDIT:

Success! I tried fried rice (always a challenge on my stainless steel cookware) and it fried like a charm with no sticking! Here is the photo of Lemon Rice:

P1010920.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Yes Boss! said:
Thanks for the help! Sounds like I'm good to go. I was mainly concerned about metal taste in food but when wiping with an oiled paper towel the towel comes out clear. That is a good idea, to take some small ingredients and give 'em a trial run.

So, treat it exactly like american cast iron. Sounds easy enough.!

EDIT:

Success! I tried fried rice (always a challenge on my stainless steel cookware) and it fried like a charm with no sticking! Here is the photo of Lemon Rice:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1010920.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say treat it exactly like a cast iron, normally you don't use metal utensils on cast irons but I do for my wok.

Either way use it often an it will season beautifully over time. I've had mine for at least 10 years if not more which my father uses mostly. If he leaves something for me in his will he better at least leave the wok its my to go pan for fried rice!
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3421/3814360466_8086045c9e_o.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Another maintenance tip for cast iron skillets that might also work for stainless steel ones: Fill it up with salt and heat it on max for about 5 minutes, then toss away the salt when it starts to turn grey (best done in the sink, the salt gets extremely hot). This burnout helps to get rid of excess stain in the skillet. Dry clean afterwards and rub the skillet out with a bit of neutral oil and a kitchen paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom