• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Boss!

More advice!

Thanks Zyzyxxz and OnkelC!

I think I'm going to be using wood utencils for the wok as I was using one of those wide strainer metal spoons and it was marking up the newly-forming coating. The salt idea should take care of some of the older staining that was left over from a decade ago. I do have a fifteen-year-old cast iron Lodge piece that is perfectly seasoned from years of use and one thing I've always done is to make sure I fry something in it a few times a year with deep oil to help maintain so I'll probably do that with the wok as well. I've got a bunch of other round-bottom woks and rings that I pulled out but I don't have gas currently...but I'm planning on getting them back in working order so they will be stored properly.

Gotta say, even on an electric range this wok is a little machine. It burns blazingly hot! Neat what a $15 piece of cookware is capable of. Next time I'm in San Francisco I'll be sure to pick up a cast-iron wok.

Yes Boss!

Made some Savory Tomato Chutney. It has tomatoes, curry leaves, mint, tamarind and other spicing.

Ingredients:

P1010927.jpg

Finished Chutney:

P1010943.jpg

Portioned out with rice (about an eighth of the total):

P1010944.jpg

Gyro Pizza Interlude Adventure 1:

Due to the thought I had this past Saturday, as well as not wanting to throw the count off packaging wise, I decided to try a gyro pizza for lunch today with the now stock standard herb butter WITHOUT the usual shredded mozzarella. In fact, for this experiment, I didn't use any manner of shredded cheese at all. Turn out...you can have a damn good little gyro pizza using a generous dusting of grated parmesan and grated romano placed upon the sauce in liew of the shredded standard. Rounded if off with some new/tasty pepperoni which marked the first time I'd had any that came as a log you had to peel and slice accordingly as opposed to presliced in a deli or packaging. It would also appear that there may be something positive to gain, to taste/texture inclinations, by leaving the frozen gyro out for awhile/taking a longer time than usual before popping it into the oven for the quick cooking---I may test this more Saturday.

Headlining Saturday unless something else happens? A different kind of shredded cheese to try as a base, of which I haven't found out yet but am looking forward to.

CLAM CHOWDER:

Put together a bit of thyme, one chopped up onion, and about 1 1/2 cup chopped up celery:
IMG_0258.jpg

Pried open about two dozen regular little neck clams along with their juices:
IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Threw in haffa-sticka-butta:
IMG_0265.jpg

Threw in onions and celery, stirred for a good 7-8 minutes. And then threw in 3-4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and stirred til it got all nice and mushy.
IMG_0267.jpg

Tossed in 4 diced potatoes along with some fresh water and a nice handful of thyme:
IMG_0278.jpg

Poured in 3/4th a quart of heavy cream, juice from the clams, 1 bay leaf, and 4-5 tablespoons of garlic pepper and stirred until consistency was rich and thick..which may have been about 45 minutes (I put in them clams during the last 10 minutes of cooking):
IMG_0284.jpg

Clam Chowder a'la bangladesh!:
IMG_0308.jpg

Natetan

yesboss, your dishes all look amazing!

i was in the supermarket the other day looking at pates, and i decided to pick up an orkney crab terrine with a lemon glaze on it. its a lot more fishy tasting and smelling than one would expect from crab. i think ill get either a chicken or vegetable pate next time. i love mushroom pate, mmm

waitrose has some really nice store brand chocolates that ive been enjoying lately. they have a ginger one that is nice, but they also have one with amaretti in it which is super good

i also had a nice tikka chicken and marmite sandwich yesterday.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so let me start off by saying that I'm normally not the kind of person that cooks a lot. Mostly sandwiches, frozen food, simple stuff like that. But today I was looking through the cupboards trying to find something to add to a can of pork my roommate had gotten. So I came up with this:

1 15oz can of tomato sauce
1 15oz can of dark red kidney beans
1 pound of canned pork
15oz of water
3/4 package of Taco Bell taco seasoning (didn't have any chili seasoning)
Garlic salt, Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, and black pepper (no real measurements, just kinda threw it in)

Just kinda threw it all into the pot and brought it to a boil.

And to my surprise, it was AWESOME. Seriously, I can't believe I made something that actually tastes GOOD. Like, something I'd choose to eat, not just eat so I don't starve. :lol Sorry I don't have pictures, but you can probably imagine what it looks like.

Improvised meals = awesome.

Yes Boss!

Natetan said:
yesboss, your dishes all look amazing!

Thanks man!

I just started cooking Indian for the first time in last two weeks. It is the country I've been to a half dozen times (having grown up in Saudi, it was very close) but I've never attempted to cook anything from there. Definitely having a fun time with it, and tackling a random recipe each day through the end of the year. The sole stipulation that I can't use any meat, just for fun. The amount of fresh vegetables I'm using now is just mind-blowing.

rcr48m.jpg

Fresh salmon caught last weekend in Alaska, cooked with ginger, lemon, and walnuts, Cous cous, and lettuce from my garden with a little bit of balsamic, seasoning, and mozzarella.

For dinner last week:

3816559413_4e498a1d02.jpg

Cucumber gazpacho, explod-tatoes, and watermelon aguafresca. All the veggies and fruits were from the CSA, yay.

half-assed recipes:

Cucumber gazpacho = cucumbers + garlic + olive oil + pinch of cumin + white wine vinegar + tsp tomato paste + lemon balm + cayenne pepper + half a lemon + salt all in a blender. Chill at least 1/2 hour before eating.

Explod-tatoes = boil potatoes, drain, smash them once with a fork so they kinda explode, drizzle olive oil over them, roll them around in the oil, sprinkle some salt and rosemary, pop into oven for 20-30 mins at 400F or until edges are brown and crispy.

Watermelon aguafresca = watermelon + some water + simple syrup, blend.

3816559305_920f18b2f5.jpg

I got lazy and tried to make french toast in the waffle iron the other day by placing a slice of egg-battered bread in the waffle maker. Came out tasty!

3817370710_7748558b2e.jpg

Grass jelly dessert + space invader ice cubes. Love this when the weather is hot.

Natetan

naked sushi, that gazpacho looks good. i always use a tomato based one, but now id like to think about other kinds.

and i love aguas frescas. i dont normally eat a lot of fruit mostly because its too sweet for me, but its usually cheaper in the summer, and drinking it cold mixed with ice is great.

my friend trims up watermelon and puts it in the freezer, i thought it was a really good idea. its like a natural popsicle

i also thought that mochi waffle you posted a long time ago looked really good too

is the grass jelly like kanten? i really like kanten and konyaku as well

Natetan said:
naked sushi, that gazpacho looks good. i always use a tomato based one, but now id like to think about other kinds.

and i love aguas frescas. i dont normally eat a lot of fruit mostly because its too sweet for me, but its usually cheaper in the summer, and drinking it cold mixed with ice is great.

my friend trims up watermelon and puts it in the freezer, i thought it was a really good idea. its like a natural popsicle

i also thought that mochi waffle you posted a long time ago looked really good too

is the grass jelly like kanten? i really like kanten and konyaku as well

It took me a long time to like the tomato based gazpacho. The first few times I had it, I kept thinking I was drinking salsa.

Putting watermelon in the freezer is a great idea! I'll try that next time. Maybe a sprinkling of cayenne pepper too.

Grass jelly is more like funky tea-flavored jello. It's also unsweetened, which is kinda a shock when you're not expecting it.

CTLance

I had some time this morning, so I decided to eat some (painfully cliché) brunch: steaming hot, fresh Weißwürscht (bavarian veal sausage).
sdi7u0.jpg

Not pictured are the fresh Pretzels that go along with this. I wish I liked beer, because that's the last ingredient needed for a "true" bavarian brunch. As it is, I made do with some Spezi (Mezzo Mix). It's a crime against my forefathers, but I wouldn't want to drink alcohol that early anyway.

Natetan

whats the sauce next to the wurst, CT lance? looks good. i love me some good german mustard, but that looks different.

i really like pretzel rolls. has that pretzely outerlayer but soft on the inside. a bakery i go to often has ones with a little cheese on type, its quite nice.

CTLance

Natetan said:
whats the sauce next to the wurst, CT lance?
That would be the bavarian sweet mustard. It's a local speciality.
It's really hard to describe it to someone who hasn't tried it before. It's sweet, and with a bit of vinegar, and then there's the kick from the mustard itself, but it's not hot at all. The mustard is partially roasted and then coarsely ground, which is why it has this strange texture.

Maybe you know honey mustard? It's definitely not the same, but kind of similar in philosophy, so to speak.

(Not mine:)
2r3gzyf.jpg

To the right is what I suspect you are describing, the "Käsestange" (lit.: cheese pole). They're awesome.

We have numerous pretzel-ified bakery products here in Germany. I love 'em.

ccarver3

I'm sure we're done with cream by now but made this for dinner and figured I'd share.

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
1248psn.jpg

Followed with Jambalaya

8yyp2c.jpg

Natetan

I know this isnt cooking, but it is gastronomy so i thought it might be interesting.

I went to a really nice British gastropub for dinner tonight called The Hope & Anchor near Waterloo station.

I had some very interesting and tasty food. We got some snails with laverbread and caerphilly (a type of cheese), which was very welsch and very tasty! I got some fish called Plaice, which I had never heard of before. Its a very flat fish and has quite white meat. was very nice.

Solaros

ccarver3 said:
Followed with Jambalaya

http://i31.tinypic.com/8yyp2c.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Recipe please.

I have tried a couple of different ones, but have yet to find one I like and that looks delicious.

ccarver3

Solaros said:
Recipe please.

I have tried a couple of different ones, but have yet to find one I like and that looks delicious.
I picked up this recipe from a cooking school in New Orleans. Jambalaya is a great dish that's extremely flexible ( missing something or adding something new, not a problem).

JAMBALAYA

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 C. of oil ( I use olive, but the traditional recipe calls for lard. Use what you like.)
1 whole chicken (deboned)
1 1/2 lbs. smoked sausage

4 C. chopped onions
2 C. chopped celery
2 C. chopped green pepper

1 Tbsp. chopped garlic

4 C. long grain rice
5 C. stock (I prefer vegetable, but chicken works too.)

2 heaping tsp. of Cajun seasoning

2 C. chopped green onions (optional)

1/4 C. of flour ( for a roux)

PROCEDURE:

1. Season and brown chicken in oil over medium high heat. Add sausage to pot and sauté with chicken. Remove both from pot when sausage has begun to brown.

2. Prepare your roux in the pot using the oil left from the chicken and sausage. You want a nice creamy peanut butter colored roux. (if you don't know how to make a roux, google can help, just make sure you don't burn it.)

3 Add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic to roux to stop it from burning. Sauté vegetables until desired tenderness. Return chicken and sausage to the pot and add your stock and Cajun seasoning and bring to a boil.

4. Add rice to pot and return to a boil. Cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for a total of 25 minutes. After 10 minutes of cooking, remove cover and quickly turn the rice from top to bottom completely. Recover and finish simmering.

5. Add green onions if desired. Serve hot.

Makes 12 servings.

Because I know not everyone can go out and buy "Cajun" seasoning, here's the recipe for my homemade version.

Cajun Seasoning

• 1/2 cup sea salt
• 4 teaspoons ground celery seed
• 2/3 cup paprika
• 4 Tablespoons sugar
• 2 Tablespoons onion powder
• 4 Tablespoons garlic powder
• 2 Tablespoons black pepper
• 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
• 2 Tablespoons ground rosemary
• 2 Tablespoons cayenne pepper
• 4 teaspoons dried thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 cup chili powder

My version is kinda hot so you can halve the cayenne if you prefer less burn.

Also this makes quite a bit so you might want to cut all ingredients by half, until you know you're going to like it.

Zyzyxxz

ccarver3 said:
I'm sure we're done with cream by now but made this for dinner and figured I'd share.

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
1248psn.jpg

nice! I got two pots of basil plants that are growing fast and large now so I got more than I could use.

Do you mind sharing the recipe for your tomato soup?

Inspired by this thread, I did a bit of cooking tonight for my fam. Cooked up some mean chicken fried steak with biscuits and gravy, full out southern home cooking style. It was delicious but unfortunately I wasn't able to take pics. :/

Zyzyxxz

backflip10019 said:
Inspired by this thread, I did a bit of cooking tonight for my fam. Cooked up some mean chicken fried steak with biscuits and gravy, full out southern home cooking style. It was delicious but unfortunately I wasn't able to take pics. :/

Oh fried food... so good yet so bad for me. Good thing you didn't take pics or I would have fried chicken cravings.

Well not that my steak is any healthier but at least there were some veges sitting under it!

3825028306_85949c1f45_o.jpg

ccarver3

Zyzyxxz said:
nice! I got two pots of basil plants that are growing fast and large now so I got more than I could use.

Do you mind sharing the recipe for your tomato soup?

Found the soup recipe online somewhere a while back. Sorry about making people ask, I'll post recipes with pictures from now on.

INGREDIENTS

4 tomatoes - peeled, seeded and diced
4 cups tomato juice
14 leaves fresh basil
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup butter
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to the stock pot.
Place the pot over medium heat, and stir in the heavy cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Do not boil.

This is probably the most unhealthy thing I eat with all the cream and butter. I'd warn against substitution though, I've tried with a variety of dairy and it just has to have the heavy cream.

This recipe also makes for a great base to make a vegetable beef soup, just leave the cream and butter out and add other veggies and browned beef after the puree.

The longer it simmers the better it gets.

Zyzyxxz said:
Oh fried food... so good yet so bad for me. Good thing you didn't take pics or I would have fried chicken cravings.

Well not that my steak is any healthier but at least there were some veges sitting under it!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2475/3825028306_85949c1f45_o.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

That is mouthwatering.

tri_willy

as mentioned, i present to you fellow irongaffers...

DSC00557.jpg

a yiros style pizza with an OVERDOSE of garlic sauce!!! traditional pizza lovers may hate me for this, however i wanted to try something a little different!!! i'll might upload a better photo once i garnish it next as i had less ingredients to work with. not the kind of food for the faint hearted... :D

Gyyo Pizza adventure: Legend of the Stubborn Cheese

For this Saturday, it was all about the mystery cheese and also adding a mix of dry herbs as a seasoning that I had a little left of. Turn out, said mystery cheese was Asagio. That Asagio...it doesn't seem to like to play nice in regards to melting! I had to run the gyro pretty well up to the time limit of 5ish minutes to get it to melt proper which also results in some browning of the gyro that could have easily turned into burning if my timing had been a bit off...grrr.

That said, I found it to make for a fairly strong and good tasting cheese to make pizza out of instead of mozzarella, and the container for the thing is freaking huge compared to the usual mozzarella packets so it looks like I'll be coming to terms with it over the next several rounds to come before emptying the box out and switching back.

CTLance

Mmmmh. Looks good.

Regarding that garlic topping on the pizza:
My favourite Pizza place offers olive oil (with either ground garlic or chilli) as a Pizza "sidedish" option. You just pour on as much or as little as you want to.

I don't care if it's against proper Pizza etiquette or not, it tastes so damn good (and keeps other people away in the case of the garlic oil - that stuff can be vicious).

So... yeah. Garlic on Pizza = awesome. No complaints from me. I'd offer you an internet high five, tri_willy, but you have pizza and I don't, so... yeah. Nothing personal.

Kind of related: I love my beakers. And my microwave. And Maultaschen. And soup concentrate. ... Oh god, kill me now. I'm committing crimes against the holy profession of cooking.

Natetan

CTLance said:
Kind of related: I love my beakers. And my microwave. And Maultaschen. And soup concentrate. ... Oh god, kill me now. I'm committing crimes against the holy profession of cooking.

"Maultaschen are rumored to have been invented by monks of the Maulbronn monastery to conceal the fact that they were eating meat during lent. This is reflected in the semi-humorous alternative Swabian name Herrgottsbscheißerle (roughly: "little ones who cheat the Lord")." :lol

they sound really good though. like ravioli meets wonton soup or something.

also boourns on soup concentrate. one of my flatmates was making egg drop soup something, basically just adding an egg to MSG-in-a-pouch soup mix. I declined saying i was full, but really i just didnt want that much sodium. I love egg drop soup though!

CTLance

Ooooh, there are plenty stories about the origins of Maultaschen. Some claim it's indeed an adaptation of the italian Ravioli, others swear by what you quoted. In that way, it's very similar too spaetzle. Everybody and their mother has their own theory where they come from - some people claim that chinese Jiaozi is the next-of-kin to the Maultasche.

Only thing everyone agrees on: It was food for the poor, since the meat is mixed and thus diluted with what is essentially leftovers (old bread and veggies).
Natetan said:
they sound really good though. like ravioli meets wonton soup or something.
Ooooh, they're a fairly solid meal.

You're probably gonna be hard pressed to find any two families that use the same recipe. There's a huge amount of variation possible, from using leftovers to using sausages etc, so nearly any family will have their own special and distinct Maultaschen.

They're available in the supermarkets too, though, and obviously those mass produced foodstuffs all taste the same (although there's a considerable variety of ingredients used, from salmon to veggie only stuff, to mushrooms, and so on).

There are even sweet Maultaschen. Awesome, eh?

That's what I like about cooking. You can find numerous people that each have their own, unique recipe for any given dish. It's awesome, most of the time. Sometimes it'll result in an assault on your tastebuds, but most of the time the meal will be familiar, yet fresh and new.
also boourns on soup concentrate. one of my flatmates was making egg drop soup something, basically just adding an egg to MSG-in-a-pouch soup mix. I declined saying i was full, but really i just didnt want that much sodium. I love egg drop soup though!
I must confess to being in love with chemistry in that regard.

I adore the instant soup powders, the Ramen packages with their concentrates full of low-quality fat and sapidity agents... and boy, I love the "clearly artificial so we're not even trying to mask it" apple/strawberry/cherry/etc flavours in some snacks. I know they'll probably bore their way into my spine and let my liver shrink into a writhing clump of screeching pain, but hey... you only live once.

That doesn't mean I dislike "traditional" foodstuffs, quite the opposite. Dark beer sauce for Schweinebraten (bavarian roasted pork) for example is heavenly and just cannot be matched by any instant-mix powder. They both have their places. And honestly, the artificial flavours are just too awesome to miss out on.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't have anything to add at the moment, but I just wanted to say how much I like that post, CTLance. I'm endlessly fond of people who don't mind simply talking a bit, dropping little thoughts and anecdotes around. You should pop in here and do that more often!

ccarver3

tri_willy said:

[IM]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/tri_willy/DSC00557.jpg[/IMG]

a yiros style pizza with an OVERDOSE of garlic sauce!!! traditional pizza lovers may hate me for this, however i wanted to try something a little different!!! i'll might upload a better photo once i garnish it next as i had less ingredients to work with. not the kind of food for the faint hearted... :D

Is the garlic sauce prepackaged or do you have a recipe?

And if you have a recipe, could you share please?

Natetan

Cosmic Bus said:
I don't have anything to add at the moment, but I just wanted to say how much I like that post, CTLance. I'm endlessly fond of people who don't mind simply talking a bit, dropping little thoughts and anecdotes around. You should pop in here and do that more often!

I agree. I enjoyed your last little post too. It's nice to hear people be descriptive about foods that I don't know.

I think a lot of countries/cuisines have a dish like that where every region/family makes the same thing differently. I really enjoy exploring those regional differences.

dark beer sauce sounds great. i dont't really enjoy beer as a beverage, but i do enjoy cooking with it. beer bread, etc. mmmm

tri_willy

ccarver3 said:
Is the garlic sauce prepackaged or do you have a recipe?

And if you have a recipe, could you share please?

garlic sauce is quite simple actually from my own interpretations.

i used 200 grams greek style yoghurt, a paste of 2 crushed cloves of garlic (done with mortar and pestle) and a squeeze of roughly a third of a lemon & mix all ingredients together. some people also add shredded cucumber to this mixture which becomes tzaziki or even dill which is used more so for middle eastern doner kebabs or so. but bbq lamb + garlic sauce = fucking delicious :D

ccarver3

tri_willy said:
garlic sauce is quite simple actually from my own interpretations.

i used 200 grams greek style yoghurt, a paste of 2 crushed cloves of garlic (done with mortar and pestle) and a squeeze of roughly a third of a lemon & mix all ingredients together. some people also add shredded cucumber to this mixture which becomes tzaziki or even dill which is used more so for middle eastern doner kebabs or so. but bbq lamb + garlic sauce = fucking delicious :D

Thanks for the info.

Not far from where I live in a town called Tarpon Springs, Greek food is predominate. I only recently made the trip and found tzatziki to be delightful. I was also a huge fan of dolmades, and plan on making some of my own soon.

ccarver3

Dinner Tonight was Teriyaki Chicken and Bok Choy served over Whole Wheat Linguine. (Normally use this recipe for scallops, alas I had none.)

2mm95z9.jpg

(Don't have this recipe digital, it's long but can be typed. Just ask.)

Shawsie64

Banned
tri_willy said:

DSC00557.jpg

Looks awesome! :D

So hungry right now and just ate my lunch (small can of tuna) with nothing else till dinner 6 hours away! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom