• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Brianemone, that's pure luxury! Thank you (and everybody else as well!) for sharing!

Sorry, no pics, but I made Fettuccine Alfredo tonight, the recipe is so simple that I wanted to share it.

For two persons (obijkenobi, I'm looking at you!), use:

400 grams of High Quality Fettuccine
300 grams of Cream
200 grams of fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
100 grams of Butter
a hint of garlic salt, salt, nutmeg and black pepper.

Boil the pasta in salted water, preheat two plates in the oven at about 50 degrees celsius. While the pasta is boiling, melt the butter in a large skillet, when melted, add the cream and whisk a bit until it has blended. Add the grated parmesan and the spices, keep whisking at low temperature. When the pasta is done, drain and add immediately to the skillet, toss them with a kitchen tong and serve on the preheated plates.

Heaven done in less than 30 minutes total (including the time it takes the pasta water to boil).

Undeux

Deadly Cyclone said:
I love Food Network and have been watching a lot of "Everyday Italian" with a wonderful woman named Giada and she has some amazing recipes, one of the ones I recently tried is below, the recipe was very easy and tasted great.
Oh, Giada...

Someone gave me the America's Test Kitchen cookbook for my birthday, and I've been working with it a bit. Lots of great ideas and information for a relatively new cook.

DonCuco

Picked up a some ribeyes on saturday and grilled them on sunday for a great dinner.

IMG_0094-1.jpg

IMG_0095-1.jpg

IMG_0096-1.jpg

IMG_0097-1.jpg

OnkelC said:
Brianemone, that's pure luxury! Thank you (and everybody else as well!) for sharing!

Sorry, no pics, but I made Fettuccine Alfredo tonight, the recipe is so simple that I wanted to share it.

For two persons (obijkenobi, I'm looking at you!), use:

400 grams of High Quality Fettuccine
300 grams of Cream
200 grams of fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
100 grams of Butter
a hint of garlic salt, salt, nutmeg and black pepper.

Boil the pasta in salted water, preheat two plates in the oven at about 50 degrees celsius. While the pasta is boiling, melt the butter in a large skillet, when melted, add the cream and whisk a bit until it has blended. Add the grated parmesan and the spices, keep whisking at low temperature. When the pasta is done, drain and add immediately to the skillet, toss them with a kitchen tong and serve on the preheated plates.

Heaven done in less than 30 minutes total (including the time it takes the pasta water to boil).

That does sound like an easy, tasty recipe. I'll have to try that sometime. I'm leaning towards making this for dinner in a few days (or maybe the Fettuccine you just posted):

http://frenchfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/chickenbasqu.htm

I know for sure I'm going to make this at some point too:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Mousse-Cake-IV/Detail.aspx

I'm not much of a baker, though, making box caked is pretty easy. I'm not as confident about how the Mousse will come out, but I'm excited about it. I like the idea of alternating a ring of sliced up bananas and strawberries too. *drool*

Yes Boss!

Made some pickled chilis.

This one was pretty cool. I ground up mustard, fennel, fenugreek seed, coriander and then mixed it with amchur, salt vinegar, and mustard oil and stuffed the raw chilis. Then they ripened in a sealed jar in the hot 100 degree california sun for two days. Pretty spicy condiment.

P1020186.jpg

Jefklak

Damn Yes Boss that looks *great* but I doubt I have enouigh courage to actually try one of those :lol
I recently bought a box labelled with "sweet peppers" (those green little ones you get with a kebab, not the thai ones). You know, SWEET. My mouth was on fire after a tiny bite, damn. (Put on a pizza, covered below a sausage piece, had a laugh with some friends :D )

But anyway, I got a breadbaking machine for my birthday, yay! Already made 3 breads with it, and it's soo easy. Throw in everything (correct order, yeast can't touch liquid), press some buttons and wait. But I do have a question about the fat to add when not using olive oil: what kind of butter does one usually use for bread baking?
The previously baked breads all taste kind of the same (different flours, whole and white) and I suspect it's the butter. I did not use milk yet.

28cjats.jpg

Sorry for crappy cellphone pic.
It's made using the panasonic SD-255.
(Yes I've also got a semi-pro bread/... slicing machine, works great)

Here is some experimental stuff I've been doing for my food blog while I am on holiday and not painting.
Some Blackberry Pearls, looks like a caviar but is just a rich blackberry syrup. The chocolate espresso tart my wife made for me.
P1040327_thumb.jpg

This is a plum and tamarind jelly, goes with a blue cheese parfait.
P1040365_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the foodgeek factor.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh those look good.

Not a fan of blue-cheese or espresso so I'll believe it's a dark chocolate brownie of sorts and the other topping is ground pistachios.

Zyzyxxz

Brianemone said:
This is a plum and tamarind jelly, goes with a blue cheese parfait.
P1040365_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the foodgeek factor.

At first I thought that was Tuna!

Do you have the recipe on your food blog? I wouldn't mind seeing what other concoctions you come up with.

Zyzyxxz said:
At first I thought that was Tuna!

Do you have the recipe on your food blog? I wouldn't mind seeing what other concoctions you come up with.

The plum jelly was just stewed plums with a little sugar that I pureed and then added a little tamarind to, sieve it and then add gelatin.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's kind of random, but if anyone's feeling especially creative, Criterion is running a contest where you could win a PS3 for making a video of you preparing food:

There’s more to cooking on camera than Top Chef, and despite films like Big Night or Julie and Julia that have inspired foodies across the country to run out and prepare elaborate meals, it’s rare that we get a cinematic look at how ordinary folks cook every day. It might not be the first thing that comes up when people talk about Chantal Akerman’s masterpiece Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles, but one of the features that make this film so strangely compelling is the attention it pays to the simple routines of cooking. Without moving her camera, Akerman follows her heroine’s every move as she prepares meat loaf, breads cutlets, and peels potatoes. The style may be objective, but the effect is highly personal.

What does it look like when you cook on camera? Now’s your chance to show us! In honor of the release of Jeanne Dielman on DVD, we’re sponsoring the world’s first Jeanne Dielman–Criterion Collection Cooking Video Contest. Make a video of yourself (or someone else) cooking (1) meat loaf, (2) cutlets, or (3) potatoes and upload it as a video response to Jeanne Dielman –Criterion Collection Cooking Video Contest on YouTube. There will be two prizes. The winner of the Audience Award, the most popular entry as voted on by the YouTube community, will receive a $100 gift certificate to the Criterion Collection website. A Grand Prize winner, to be selected by the staff of the Criterion Collection, will receive a new PlayStation 3, Criterion’s reference Blu-ray player. Submissions are welcome from anywhere in the world, but only U.S. and Canadian entries will be eligible for prizes. The deadline is September 28, 2009.

Zyzyxxz

Hmm then I should get around to making the best Tonkatsu (pork cutlet) Curry I've ever made, been a while but I should be able to do it and hopefully get my friend to video tape it.

hitsugi

Not having access to momofuku here, and becoming slightly obsessed.. I decided to try my hand at something inspired by the momofuku bakery and milk bar. The result:

3827472213_d492747cf1_b.jpg

a play on milk and cereal :) consisting of a cereal milk panna cotta, caramelized cornflakes, strawberries and chocolate. was too lazy to wipe the plate, yes.. my girlfriend and I just couldn't wait any longer to dig in.

hitsugi

May as well post a couple more.. I don't know why I've lurked this thread so long, but I love food and cooking, etc. and I'm borderline obsessed! So, here we go with Linguini all'arrabbiata with shrimp:

3537449963_c9c719a1ac.jpg

Shrimp go in and..

3537457003_b4c73c6998_b.jpg

Finished.

and then..

the obligatory seared tuna, with a roasted asparagus salad and balsamic reduction:

3378536138_30801a3a14_b.jpg

Zyzyxxz

hitsugi said:
Not having access to momofuku here, and becoming slightly obsessed.. I decided to try my hand at something inspired by the momofuku bakery and milk bar. The result:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2597/3827472213_d492747cf1_b.jpg

a play on milk and cereal :) consisting of a cereal milk panna cotta, caramelized cornflakes, strawberries and chocolate. was too lazy to wipe the plate, yes.. my girlfriend and I just couldn't wait any longer to dig in.

wow that is amazing!

hitsugi

Zyzyxxz said:
wow that is amazing!

thanks! It was quite easy to prepare (although a little time consuming) and it's definitely going to become a regularly modified dessert :D

also..

Yes Boss! said:
I made some Kadhi Pokara.

It is deep-fried dumplings comprised of besan (chickpea flour), butermilk, onion, potato, chile, coriander, cumin simmered in a buttermilk/besan curry.

any chance I could get a full (measured ingredients, etc) recipe for those? they look heavenly!

Nice baguettes, beelzebozo! They look more batard shaped than baguette shaped, but hey, who cares, right?

Brianemone do you work in food? Your blackberry pearl with tart thing looks amazing!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nakedsushi said:
Nice baguettes, beelzebozo! They look more batard shaped than baguette shaped, but hey, who cares, right?

Brianemone do you work in food? Your blackberry pearl with tart thing looks amazing!

i didn't even know the difference :lol

yes, batards then.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I can't cook worth shit but I love this thread so much. I've been lurking for probably the past year without saying anything. I especially love Yes Boss's indian(?) food pics, they make me drool.

Other favorites on this page are DonCuco's ribeyes and hitsugi's shrimps. Hats off to all you chefs.

I'm hungry now.

Sure, the crepe is pretty easy to make:

Batter:
2C coconut milk
2C rice flour
1C water
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric (or more if you want more color)

Mix the above together with a whisk until there are no lumps or dry spots. The consistency should be a thin crepe batter. Add more water if needed.

Put about a tsp of oil on a flat skillet or pan on medium high heat and swish it around to coat all surfaces. Throw in a small handful of chopped green onion and a smaller handful of bean sprouts. Ladle in enough a thin layer of batter, enough to form a circle that covers the pan. Cover the pan for about 1 minute to get the top layer to cook until set. Then put in some more sprouts, chopped tofu, whatever filling you want (be sparse!) on one side and then fold the other half over like an omlette. Let that cook for about another minute, and then take off the pan.

The dipping sauce:
2 tbs fish sauce (I used some weird vegetarian fish sauce)
2 tbs water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 clove chopped garlic
1/2 tsp thai chili paste (samb olek??)

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
3883831840_fe92d95129.jpg

Made banh xeo for the first time a few nights ago. It's a Vietnamese savory rice crepe filled with baked tofu and sprouts.

this reminds me I need to go eat at Golden Deli before I move to Colorado. I have to say goodbye to good Asian food for a while.

Don't ask me how it works, but as it happens, A1 steak sauce actually works out pretty well on a gyro pizza. Just did some light drizzles as the final addition before popping it into the little oven and all was well---no clashing with the pizza sauce or anything. I would imagine other steak sauces have good odds as well.

I think I may be about out of stuff to experiment on it at the house though, probably have to dig around to be sure.

One day somebody here with a camera will get hungry and take the plunge off this precipice I've prepared...

M Tyson

Banned
fuck me.. i was so hungry to eat it, i just whipped out the camera and forgot i had it on "compact mode" so the quality is shit..

will make again with an artsy presentation and higher res cause its fucking BOMB!

bbqd halibut filet freshly delivered a few hours prior, with a potato and lima bean sucotash with corn red peppers and onions, garlic salt and some pimmens chipotle sauce or whaever mixed in for some smokiness.. realllllllly good

IMG_1071.jpg

Here we go GAF. The first pics are of a batch of cilantro rice. It came out pretty good, but it was a tad dry

PICT0007-1.jpg

PICT0009-1.jpg

Here's the chocolate double layered cake with chocolate mousse. I'm pretty sure I have diabetes after that slice I had

PICT0010-1.jpg

PICT0018-1.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
just had some greek meat platter, Souvlaki, Bifteki and Gyros with raw onions, panfries and tzaziki as well as a serving of spinach for the green remorse:
smallP1010262.jpg

Zyzyxxz

obijkenobi said:
Update, the chick liked the cake, but I think (95 percent sure) I got friend zoned. So....I'm not sure if i win or lose that one.

its cool man, maybe she got friends that you can do.

Zyzyxxz said:
its cool man, maybe she got friends that you can do.

No, she actually doesn't know anyone in the area! Its actually the most confusing "friend zoned" experiences I've ever had in my life. I'm still kind of like in a "wtf just happened" mode. lol

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
OnkelC said:
just had some greek meat platter, Souvlaki, Bifteki and Gyros with raw onions, panfries and tzaziki

Ohhh, yeeeaah. I haven't had good Greek food in a long time -- since pretending to be straight and going to this girl's house for flirty little date nights mainly because she worked at a slouvaki take-out place and always had this awesome food on hand. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom