• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxer

Brianemone said:
Is it like a short pastry or did you do a rough puff?
Its a rough puff quickly thrown together in a quiet patch at work. I needed it to be quick. The recipe wasnt very accurate in their description so there are a few kinks to work out.

OnkelC said:
:lol :lol :lol
but some kind of truth to it, let's get back to cooking, shall we?

Ha, good point. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I made pemmican recently for a backpacking trip. Pemmican is pretty simple stuff: rendered animal fat, dried powdered muscle meat, sometimes spices or berries. You mix it all together to form pucks, balls, or clumps. It lasts for just about ever, and it comes out to be (calorie-wise) about 70% fat, 30% protein. The Plains native Americans used to make the stuff from bison meat and fat for long treks or wars. If you had to, you could survive on pemmican and do quite well.

First, I dried some very lean beef (try to avoid as much fat as possible, as it can go rancid), along with some blueberries. I wish I had a dehydrator, but the oven set to a super low heat works in a pinch.

ndpppz.jpg

Used a food processor to demolish the dried meat into a powder, or as close to a powder as I could manage.

11i0sv5.jpg

Rendered about a half pound of bison kidney fat over super low heat, then drained it through fine mesh. Made sure to leave out all the browned bits.

vqgx91.jpg

Get the berries, the meat, and the hot rendered fat.

350s5xk.jpg

Mix it all together. I used a bit too much fat, so I had to supplement the pemmican with some almond meal.

2ept2jl.jpg

The result is this fairly unappetizing ball of meat and fat. Pretty tasty, actually, and perfect for a backpacking trip.

15gva68.jpg

CTLance said:
I GOTS MEEEAAAAAT
For non-Germans: It's dried antelope meat. They added some spices that make this particular jerky not as enjoyable as the normal kind (which is made of beef anyway), but hey, who am I to look a gift meat in the mouth, right? Free meat >>>> no meat.

Hmm looks tasty, but what does antelope meat taste like? Is it like beef? Or more like turkey jerkey? Or does it have that gamey taste that venison has? That makes me tempted to do a jerkey mail-order trade lol.

Price Dalton said:
(picture of lump of meat)

How big is that ball? And how do you eat it? Do you just stick the whole thing in your mouth and chew it like a giant meatball?

nakedsushi said:
Hmm looks tasty, but what does antelope meat taste like? Is it like beef? Or more like turkey jerkey? Or does it have that gamey taste that venison has? That makes me tempted to do a jerkey mail-order trade lol.

How big is that ball? And how do you eat it? Do you just stick the whole thing in your mouth and chew it like a giant meatball?

Somewhere between the size of a tennis ball and the size of a golf ball. I just ripped pieces off and ate them. It's kinda crumbly, actually, unless you press it together. It was pretty much my entire meal one day in Yosemite, all while climbing, hiking, and being completely active.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It was looking good until I saw the end result :lol

I'm sure it tasted good though. If anyone is interested in some good meaty tasting meat for 'cheap' bigjohnsbeefjerky is a great place.

This is what I whipped up just now. Still on cheapo eats, but it sure looks nice.

Spaghetti with 4 cheese sauce, some seasoned lemon frozen chicken, some buttered frozen spinach with garlic powder, and garlic bread of course :D
2qi0leh.jpg

rxdco07

nakedsushi said:
Got some squashes from the CSA box last week so I roasted them up and served them with savory steel cut oatmeal. Porridge for dinner = win.

3844238661_248d89a372.jpg

Oh, and a salted duck egg.

I also made Torta Talong last week, which is a Filipino eggplant + egg omlette thing. It was my first time making it. It kinda fell apart, but tasted good at least.
3838415475_676229cdbd.jpg

Filipino-Food represent, Tortang Talong is one of my favorite dishes, i grill the whole eggplants, peel, then use a fork to smash them (but still keeping it whole) beat some eggs, then dip the eggplant into the beaten eggs and dry, soooo gooooddd

CTLance said:
I GOTS MEEEAAAAAT
qoztsn.jpg

IT WUZ GIIIIFT.

(Sorry Vegetarians, but that stuff is rather delicious. And energizing, if you chew for a bit. I know it looks rather strange and probably not at all appetizing to you guys. Sorry.)

For non-Germans: It's dried antelope meat. They added some spices that make this particular jerky not as enjoyable as the normal kind (which is made of beef anyway), but hey, who am I to look a gift meat in the mouth, right? Free meat >>>> no meat.

I tried this for the first time this summer, my friend bought some from a store and we ate it while driving, it had a very good taste, but it was quite weird for me, I took a whole peace at once, took me several minutes to chew it down, but I like it. ^^

Natetan

wow zucchini rice, that sounds really good. any special direction i might need that i couldn't find in an internet search?

Dal looks great too! i wish i could eat legumes. Love'em but they, uh, make me very gassy

Edit: oh an i quite like pemican! i remember in elementary school, to learn about the antarctic passage that international team was doing (this was around 1990 or so if i recall correctly), we had a 'antarctic dinner night' that was food that the team ate on the trail. we had scalloped potato something and some other stuff i dont remember, but i do remember pemican, and eating a lot of it and enjoying it.

CTLance

nakedsushi said:
My experiences with jerky are spaced too far apart to really give you a conclusive answer. Furthermore, as I said, it's been tainted by spices. FWIW: It has an earthy flavour, not really gamey. Pretty tasty, but I think I prefer "raw" beef jerky.

Anyone with true jerky knowledge here that can shed a light on the differences?

blahness

Dinner tonight: Jerk chicken, pan baked potato wedges and mixed veggies

14kczsj.jpg

The chicken came out great, you could taste the various spices and juices and then the heat crept in and numbed my lips. nom nom nom

Yes Boss!

Natetan said:
wow zucchini rice, that sounds really good. any special direction i might need that i couldn't find in an internet search?

Nope, just cook the rice as you would usually. Just sautee the zucchini in some butter/oil before adding water and rice then omit about 1/3 cup of water (from the 2 cups, since you would have soaked and zucchini has water). Since you cook the zucchini with the rice it loses its brilliant green color, the only drawback. Be sure to soak your rice for twenty minutes before cooking, though.

CTLance said:
My experiences with jerky are spaced too far apart to really give you a conclusive answer. Furthermore, as I said, it's been tainted by spices. FWIW: It has an earthy flavour, not really gamey. Pretty tasty, but I think I prefer "raw" beef jerky.

Anyone with true jerky knowledge here that can shed a light on the differences?

American style Jerky is quite different to Biltong which is South African. Jerky is sweeter where as proper Biltong is seasoned in a vingegar/salt dip and then rubbed with spices. Everybody has their own spice mix but toasted and ground coriander(cilantro) seeds is the standard. There are also different styles of biltong like chili bytes and peri-peri biltong that's made into thinner strips. Proper Biltong comes in big pieces that you cut in slices across the grain. I prefer wet biltong that's more like a good cured meat with some fat on it. Another favorite is to grind up very dried Biltong into a kind of powder that you would use on something like Biltong broodjies. A white bread sandwich with Marmite(Veggiemite) and margarine cut into triangles.

CTLance

VelvetMouth said:
(Jerky knowledge)
....and now I feel kind of bad for just ripping off strips and devouring them, like some sort of savage. And complaining about the spices. D'oh. Oh well, lesson learnt. Next time I get some Biltong I'll consume them in a proper fashion. Thanks for the insight. :)

CTLance said:
....and now I feel kind of bad for just ripping off strips and devouring them, like some sort of savage. And complaining about the spices. D'oh. Oh well, lesson learnt. Next time I get some Biltong I'll consume them in a proper fashion. Thanks for the insight. :)

Glad to help :) Your biltong looked very dry though so the way you ate it was fine. That's how you would eat Ostrich biltong that's dried to oblivion. Tear it into strips or grind it. You can easily make your own biltong following a traditional recipe and using a biltong box. It's just a ventilated box with a light to dry out the biltong. Lots of instructions on Google. If you are lucky to live some place with low humidity you can just hang your biltong out in a well ventilated area to dry. Another thing South Africans love is Droe Wors(dried sausage) it uses the same spices as biltong with ground up beef and fat injected into a intestine casing then hung up to dry. It's so good.

Blablurn

@thread: torellini et quattro formaggi

14t9blx.jpg

@onkel c: have you been in cologne today? i'm pretty sure i saw you at the "hohe straße". but i was to shy to say something because i wasn't 100% sure :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Blablurn said:
@thread: torellini et quattro formaggi

14t9blx.jpg

@onkel c: have you been in cologne today? i'm pretty sure i saw you at the "hohe straße". but i was to shy to say something because i wasn't 100% sure :lol
yeah, was strolling around Hohe Straße and Apellhofplatz between 10:15 and 11:30AM:lol

Blablurn said:

Next time, you should run by with a hand up and screaming, "IRON GAAAAF!" and give him a high five. Then run away.

CrystalGemini said:
MmmmMmMmmm.....:9 What's the recipe for that soup and ciabatta?

Hm, I think the soup is just: 1 zucchini, 1 summer squash (looks like a yellow zucchini), 1 round squash (looks like a round zucchini the size of a grapefruit), 1 onion, 1 carrot, and 1 potato. Chop up the onions and let them soften/brown in the pan. Throw in everything else and sautee till tender and brown, pour water over to cover and simmer for about 20 mins, then stick the soup in a blender (or use a hand blender) to puree.

The ciabatta was made from this recipe: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2577/sourdough-ciabatta

The only difference is I used just 8oz of my own sourdough starter, which was different from theirs.

Made some Cannoli yesterday. I used an Italian recipe that I found but I think the cocoa powder I used is a bit stronger that what might have been intended for the recipe.

Were still good.
P1040267_thumb.jpg

Whoa that looks good! Do you have a recipe for the shell? It looks delicious.

(also it looks a little like Goatse, but I'm trying to unsee that)

I've more or less figured out how to defeat the Asagio cheese in regards to gyro pizza as of tonight. They didn't want to melt in an especially timely fashion, but I couldn't just leave it in longer else the gyro itself would harden and burn. Solution? Instead of spreading the herb butter on the gyro wrap before applying the pizza sauce, slice up lots of little gobs of the stuff and assemble it on top of the Asagio then finish off they pepperoni and such. The melted butter serves to add some locational heat once it gets melted that gets the cheese more in line with how you'd want it.

Obviously, the only downside to this is MUCH more oil running over the sides of the thing onto the plate and all---but that's just cleanup as the TASTE seems to be a bit more pronounced/enhanced this way versus the spread method. I may or may not try this as well next week as there's only enough Asagio left for Saturday night's dinner then I'm back on my Mozzarella stock.

Undeux

Brianemone said:
Made some Cannoli yesterday. I used an Italian recipe that I found but I think the cocoa powder I used is a bit stronger that what might have been intended for the recipe.

Were still good.
P1040267_thumb.jpg
How did you make it? I kind of figured out the filling on my own, but still haven't got around to putting it all together.

nakedsushi said:
Whoa that looks good! Do you have a recipe for the shell? It looks delicious.

(also it looks a little like Goatse, but I'm trying to unsee that)

Ingredients

130gm Flour
10gm Cocoa
2 Egg Whites
20gm Butter
20gm Sugar
Marsala to moisten

Method

Sift the flour, cocoa and add sugar make a well
Add softened butter, egg whites and a little Marsala
Mix together and give it a knead.
Put in the fridge to rest.
Pull it out and roll it out to about 3-4mm thick
Cut to shape and wrap around a cannoli form
Deep fry
Fill with ricotta mixed with caster sugar.

Variations

I think the recipe has a little too much cocoa in it, I would chop that amount in half next time.
Traditionally it would be garnished with candied fruit and chocolate chips or flakes.
Cannoli forms don’t really exist in New Zealand so I made my own out of some untreated dowel cut to length and smoothed.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You magical people who can make dessert astound me :lol

If all goes well hopefully I can make some Tsung Yo Bing soon (Green onion pancakes). They are fried and no they are not like pancakes.

It's basically like a thin pressed croissant with green onion in it. It is so delicious. Maybe sushi can make some :lol

Hazaro said:
You magical people who can make dessert astound me :lol

If all goes well hopefully I can make some Tsung Yo Bing soon (Green onion pancakes). They are fried and no they are not like pancakes.

It's basically like a thin pressed croissant with green onion in it. It is so delicious. Maybe sushi can make some :lol

Yeah that cannoli sounds complicated. I didn't know the shell was supposed to be deep fried!

I love tsung yo bing! There are a bunch of cheap Chinese restaurants near me who make it way better, so I usually just buy from them. One time, my mom tried to make it out of Bisquick -- it wasn't NOT delicious.

I think the trick to them is that you have to use a crapton more oil than you think is healthy haha.

Natetan

nakedsushi said:
I love tsung yo bing! There are a bunch of cheap Chinese restaurants near me who make it way better, so I usually just buy from them. One time, my mom tried to make it out of Bisquick -- it wasn't NOT delicious.

I think the trick to them is that you have to use a crapton more oil than you think is healthy haha.

is tsung yo bing like pajon?

^ a little in that they're both savory pancake like things. The tsung yo bing is usually just green onions and dough. The pajeon I've had usually has stuff like beansprouts and shrimp and kimchi in it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
nakedsushi said:
:lol Oh yeah seeing street vendors dump a glob of oil then watch is disappear, oh well.

Have you tried and good frozen ones?

IronGaf,

I'm kinda seeing this girl that I dig quite a bit. She's big into french culture. (she's actually a graduate student in French studies) She's already been to my place for a big bbq with lots of people, but I think in a week or two we're going to have a big alone dinner date. I'm know nothing about French food though.

I've been going through some recipes online and one that intrigues me is Chicken Cordon Bleu

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Cordon-Bleu-II/Detail.aspx

Any recommendations for side dishes/desserts/drinks? Or even for the main course itself?

Yes Boss!

obijkenobi said:
IronGaf,

I'm kinda seeing this girl that I dig quite a bit. She's big into french culture. (she's actually a graduate student in French studies) She's already been to my place for a big bbq with lots of people, but I think in a week or two we're going to have a big alone dinner date. I'm know nothing about French food though.

Man,

You need to do something easy like steak-frites with a nice complex dipping sauce and a tart for desert.

Also,

I got three front teeth pulled on Wednesday and the dentist said no spicy food for a few days. But those days are up so I made a black chana dish:

P1020126.jpg

And a yellow lemon cucumber (dosakai) chutney:

P1020134.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yes Boss! said:
And a yellow lemon cucumber (dosakai) chutney:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1020134.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It looks like you stabbed an alien in the eye while he was eating your food :lol

Zyzyxxz

just got back from a trip to NYC, D.C., and Pennsylvania.

Unfortunately as a culinary adventure it was horrible as it was a bus tour, that my unadventurous mother paid for so I couldn't complain... but I still did.

Damn I'm definitely going back because some of the local stuff I did try was actually really good.

Zyzyxxz said:
just got back from a trip to NYC, D.C., and Pennsylvania.

Unfortunately as a culinary adventure it was horrible as it was a bus tour, that my unadventurous mother paid for so I couldn't complain... but I still did.

Damn I'm definitely going back because some of the local stuff I did try was actually really good.

You need to come into NYC and try Momofuku, I think you'd really dig it judging from what you've made here.

Exhumed

OnkelC said:
Heh, I'm open for every invitation to a genuine US thanksgiving dinner. :D

I'd so invite you over if you wanna fly over to Seattle WA, USA! My mother makes a grand Thanksgiving dinner! Not only that my father makes an excellent deep fried (peanut oil) Turkey. We tried something new last year and it was excellent.

Zyzyxxz

electricpirate said:
You need to come into NYC and try Momofuku, I think you'd really dig it judging from what you've made here.

yeah I saw it on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation show and its definitely on my list.

Leunam

Grilled Cheese Sandwich last night. Made with pepperjack cheese and sliced tomatoes. I would've cut up some onions but I didn't feel up to it late at night.

I wanted to pop in and say cool thread, it's certainly been helpful for a new cook like me.

Zyzyxxz

Tried some new stuff tonight:

never cooked pork tenderloin before so I gave it a try.

Marinated it in low sodium soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, green onions, brown sugar, and korean red chili paste.

Browned it for a couple minutes, transferred to my tiny microwave oven to bake @ 425 F for 20 minutes. The sauce was a reduction of the marinade

3866864264_9c4d31e072_o.jpg

Also my first time cooking with lentils, it was very easy to work with

Just boiled lentils in water and chicken stock, then added some tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, onion, bell pepper to simmer along with a spoon of curry powder. Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.

3866864204_8c38ede38a_o.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I love Food Network and have been watching a lot of "Everyday Italian" with a wonderful woman named Giada and she has some amazing recipes, one of the ones I recently tried is below, the recipe was very easy and tasted great.

EI0701_31375_s4x3_lg.jpg

Open Faced PLT (Link)

Directions
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
6 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
3 cups arugula
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Whisk the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and zest in a small bowl to blend. Set the mayonnaise mixture aside.

Toast the bread on a panini grill or griddle until golden brown. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over each slice of toast. Arrange the prosciutto over the toasts, dividing equally. Top with the arugula, then the tomatoes. Drizzle the oil over the sandwiches, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut the sandwiches into 3 equal pieces and serve.

Finished out the Asagio cheese container tonight to good effect. My last experiment with it had me put in the mini-herb butter bits on top of the sauce itself THEN apply the cheese and whatnot. Taste was even more pronounced than when on top, and even though there was still a fair bit more oil than when just using it as a wrap spread all over, it was nowhere near as much compared to when it was on top of it.

Looking like Wednesday night for the next round of experimenting back with standard Mozzarella with whatever random stuff is left in the house with it...leaning towards working in a bottle of A1 steak sauce somehow that hasn't seen much use in a great while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom