• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Boss!

Made some Punjabi Chola. Basically tea-soaked chick-peas in a spicy/sour tomato gravy. Made with dried un-soaked Garbanzo beans using a pressure cooker. About an 90 minutes prep total.

P1020088.jpg

A 50's "classic": tuna noodle casserole (bechamel, canned tuna, veggies, and cooked noodles mixed together, topped with breadcrumbs, and baked):
tuna_noodle.jpg

Red chile (cubed chuck, onions, cumin, garlic, Mexican oregano and a puree of reconstituted pasilla and chiles de arbol, put in a slow cooker until the chuck was falling apart) and Fritos:
red_chile.jpg

Urgent:

My family just came back from summer vacation and they are quite tired, so I am planing to make dinner for them today, but I have no idea what so ever about what food to make.

I would really appreciate it if you provide me a receipt, keep in mind that I am a beginner, so I want something simple not very hard and not very easy to screw everything up, but unique and sexy :p

Main dish should preferably be rise, meat, sauce, sallad, I also want to make some soup and bake some bread, if you can suggest some simple to prepare dessert I would be more than happy to give it a try as long as it is simple.

Meal is for 6-8 people, time and budget are not a problem, be quick in your suggestions because I have to go run to the store soon to buy the necessary ingredients.

Pics will be posted unless everything goes horribly wrong!

Zyzyxxz

how about a spaghetti or linguine carbonara

- its just pasta with bacon/pancetta/crumbled sausage with the sauce made out of heavy cream, lemon zest, egg yolk and some salt and pepper to taste and fresh parsley

very simple but can look very elegant and tastes very good.

many variations of recipe here: http://www.tastespotting.com/search/carbonara/1

For salad: go with something easy like watermelon and feta salad or a salad caprese which is just mozarella slices, tomato slices, basil leaves, extra virgin olive oil, and optional balsamic vinegar.

I dunno about soups, not my specialty.

Natetan

god, that chola sounds amazing yesboss. nice touch with the way you prepared the chilies on top.

tea-soaked anything sounds delicious. I had tea eggs in taiwan several years back they were good.

and silentgiant, nice work on the german bread. My family used to make very dense bread for camping trips we would make when i was little. And the artisanal loaves look really nice. did you make the soup?

Zyzyxxz said:
how about a spaghetti or linguine carbonara

- its just pasta with bacon/pancetta/crumbled sausage with the sauce made out of heavy cream, lemon zest, egg yolk and some salt and pepper to taste and fresh parsley

very simple but can look very elegant and tastes very good.

many variations of recipe here: http://www.tastespotting.com/search/carbonara/1

For salad: go with something easy like watermelon and feta salad or a salad caprese which is just mozarella slices, tomato slices, basil leaves, extra virgin olive oil, and optional balsamic vinegar.

I dunno about soups, not my specialty.

That is a good option too, the carbonara sounds good to me but my parents don't eat bacon, is there anything else that you recommend instead of it?

Here is a quick update on how things are going:

34rg0tx.jpg

I didn't buy bacon because my family doesn't eat pork, instead I bought this peace of meat, any ideas how to cook it?
I also didn't find the cheese, pecorino romano, so I bought another type of cheese, I hope it works.

I also bought some extra vegetables for a salad.

Any quick tips before I start?

CTLance

That piece of meat looks like it should be grilled. Get some more, though, if there really are going to be so many hungry people, then that little bit of meat isn't going to feed them, pasta or no pasta.

The cheese that I have bought is called grana panado, it is somewhat strong, dry and a bit salty in taste, it is also in a powder form, I have never tasted the other type of chesse so I hope that someone who is familiar with it can tell me if my cheese works for this carbonara meal.

The peace of meat that I have bought is originally prepared for barbecue, it weights about 0.8 kg if I remember correctly, it is not a lot but with the good amount of pasta and sallad hopefully it would be sufficient.

Now to cooking the meat, usually when I barbecue it I just cut it down to 6 large peaces and give it about 7 minutes on the grill on each side, but I don't know how that would work on a pan.

I guess I should divide it into very small peaces, like an inch and a half tall and thin at the same time, put it on the pan on a medium heat with some oil so it won't burn from the outside, I am mostly worried that I will under cook it.

Any thoughts on this? is there a better way to prepare the meat?

Natetan

needs more knäckebröd

but anyway, one thing i really like doing with cherry tomatoes is blanching them(or grilling them) which you could do in the pasta water i suppose.

and grana padano is sort of like a poor mans parmegiano reggiano in my experience. costs less, and doesn't have as much full flavor as a reggiano. It's not a substitute or anything though. it's very respected, perfectly legitimate cheese. you can use it the same way as you would reggiano.

OMG, just realized that the meat I bought is pork, my family are muslims = no pork, should I run to the store and grab something else or just forget about it and make them wonder what my secret ingredient is? :p

In case I choose to buy something else, which is the most likely the chosen option, what should I buy?

OMG, Fail fail fail, just found out that the meatballs that I bought are pork too, oh, now I have more than 2 kg of pork meat to eat alone.

*runs to store to buy something else*

CTLance

Nizar said:
OMG, Fail fail fail!(snip)
*runs to store to buy something else*
I am so sorry. I was kind of half expecting this. I actually laughed when I read that. Sorry.

Still, just get some chicken breasts. Or Fish. Fish is always delicious, and you may get a good deal on frozen goods.

Zyzyxxz

obijkenobi said:
Ok GAF, big bbq tomorrow. Thoughts on how I should season the ground beef for the burgers?

When it comes to burgers KISS
keep it simple,stupid
salt and pepper, and maybe some cayenne pepper for a little spice.

IMO I like it best to top a fresh and well grilled burger with stuff like carmelized onions, roasted peppers, a really good quality cheddar (none of that kraft shit), or mushrooms.

addicted to my pizza stone! haha

Everyone's food is so inspiring especially the pizza post on the last page looked so good I had to give it a whirl...

So..

Got hungry after playing some 1 vs 100 Live and Trials HD. Decided to reach once again into this vat of dough I made; I fear that there won't be any left for it to become sourdough.

Anyways I topped it with whatever I had left over in the fridge.

Today: Genoa Salami, Frozen Shrimp, Mozzarella Soy Cheese(I'm unfortunately lactose)

I wish I had some Kalamata olives and some fresh basil. Time to get off my butt and start that herb garden..

3846970995_ea7095166d.jpg

Rolled out and topped waiting for the oven to hit 550F. GO GO GO GO!

3847762060_3cd8b54c48.jpg

Phew! 550F is hot! wonder if my eyebrows are still there?

3846972391_8de96e5ffd.jpg

5 mins of work 8 mins of baking = Hard Work. It's beer time! :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yes Boss! said:
Made some Punjabi Chola. Basically tea-soaked chick-peas in a spicy/sour tomato gravy. Made with dried un-soaked Garbanzo beans using a pressure cooker. About an 90 minutes prep total.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1020088.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=slidewinder]A 50's "classic": tuna noodle casserole (bechamel, canned tuna, veggies, and cooked noodles mixed together, topped with breadcrumbs, and baked):
[img]http://6was9.public.s3.amazonaws.com/tuna_noodle.jpg[img]
Red chile (cubed chuck, onions, cumin, garlic, Mexican oregano and a puree of reconstituted pasilla and chiles de arbol, put in a slow cooker until the chuck was falling apart) and Fritos:
[img]http://6was9.public.s3.amazonaws.com/red_chile.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]Potato and Leek Soup
[url]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/3842703119_781d45d9bc.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]
Ohhhhhh. These all look so good.

Mind sharing the recipe for the soup? I have some spare potatoes lying around and this looks great to go with the bread I just bought.

I also have some spare tuna and pasta so a casserole recipe would also be greatly appreciated :D (Would wheat pasta be passable for one?)

*Only 8 minutes in the oven for that pizza?

Made some chili the other day.

Here are a couple white onions chopped up with three pasilla peppers and two red chiles, seeded. I later ran it all through the food processor to make a smooth pepper-onion paste.

671lc3.jpg

Half a stick of butter into the pot over medium heat, followed closely by the pepper paste.

neykon.jpg

Five pounds of grass fed chuck roast waiting to be taken apart.

2q3dr8w.jpg

Meanwhile, my dog waits for scraps, a hopeful look on his face.

54xfd3.jpg

The meat, salted and peppered.

35ix2ld.jpg

I couldn't resist. I'm such an enabler.

bis8d4.jpg

I browned the meat in some more butter, then added it to the pot, along with cumin, salt, pepper, a cinnamon stick, chili powder, paprika, coriander, ground oregano, eight cloves of garlic, a couple splashes of red wine vinegar, a can of crushed tomatoes, and a bottle of Trader Joe's oatmeal stout. Bring it to a boil then let it simmer over low heat for about an hour and a half. Toward the end, I added a bit of cardamom, the rest of the butter, and a bar of super dark chocolate. Oh, and chopped chipotles.

oqeglx.jpg

Then I served it up with some lemon juice and crumbled feta. It was pretty tasty.

2zeez3a.jpg

CTLance

Man, it's quarter past nine in the morning here in Germany, and I'm already lusting after some of that chili. I've always wanted to try chocolate in a chilli, but I'm too much of a chicken to try cooking it myself.
Nizar said:
Here is how things work out:
[IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/6iqzw3.jpg[/IMG]
Will be back after the dishing, ETA 6 hours 42 minutes.
Ooooh, that looks nice. "My" Carbonara has much more sauce, though. Oh well, that's the beauty of it.

So, how did your folks like it? How did YOU like it?

CTLance said:
Man, it's quarter past nine in the morning here in Germany, and I'm already lusting after some of that chili. I've always wanted to try chocolate in a chilli, but I'm too much of a chicken to try cooking it myself.

Ooooh, that looks nice. "My" Carbonara has much more sauce, though. Oh well, that's the beauty of it.

Just try it, man. It was my first time adding chocolate to my chili, and it worked out great.

Oh, and I've been eating it for breakfast the last two days, so you should get on it quick.

Natetan

CTLance said:

chocolate with chilis do work very very well together. at least as far as ice cream is concerened, we used to have a flavor of ice cream in my city that was chocolate with cayenne in it. was always very good.

Hazaro said:
Ohhhhhh. These all look so good.

Mind sharing the recipe for the soup?

*Only 8 minutes in the oven for that pizza?

Sure no problem.

8 mins at 550F with a Pizza Stone

Potato and Leek Soup.

What you need

6-7 Potatoes
4 Large Leeks
Few stalks of Celery ( I didn't have any so I omitted this from my soup )
1 Onion
2 liters of chicken stock (Just over 2 Quarts)
1/2 cup of Flour
1 Stick of butter ( Substituted with Margarine because Im Lactose )
1 cup of Cream ( I omitted this because Im Lactose )
1 1/2 Teaspoons of Fresh Thyme
TT Kosher Salt (or what ever you have)
TT Pepper
1 Bay Leaf

Trim the Green parts away from the leeks and really wash them good as they usually have a lot of dirt trapped in between the layers. Cut into small chunks and put aside

Peel the Onion and cut into quarters

Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces ( Just so they cook faster)

Making a roux

What you need

1 stick of Butter
1/2 cup of Flour

In a pot; or the soup pot, add the butter and turn the heat to medium low. As the butter starts to melt slowly add a bit of the flour and stir as it incorporates add more flour. Near the end you should get a nice paste like consistency.

In a large pot put the potatoes, onion, celery, half the leeks, chicken stock, and the Bay Leaf. Bring to a boil. Make sure you are stirring every couple of minutes especially at the start as you want to make sure the roux dissolves into the stock fully. Boil till potatoes are soft about 15-20 minutes.

At this time add the rest of the leeks, cream, Fresh thyme or in my case dried, Pepper and salt to taste. Remove the Bay Leaf.

Now the fun part. If you have an immersion blender plug that bad boy in and blend up all the big chunks. I like a little bit of texture in my soup so I dont puree the heck out of it, but you can if you want. You can also use a blender and do small batches of the soup. Be careful of both ways for splashing as the soup is HOT!!!!!

after blending you can put the soup back on the stove for about 10-15 mins at a low simmer and then serve.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
silentgiant said:
What you need

1/4 cup of Flour
1 Stick of butter ( Substituted with Margarine because Im Lactose )

Making a roux

1 stick of Butter
1/2 cup of Flour
Is it 1/4 or 1/2 of flour?
Thanks!

CTLance said:

Thank you, it tasted really good, everybody liked it especially my mom.

I made too much pasta compared to the sauce, I swear I ended up with more than 10 full plates of pasta, half of it is in the fridge now and i have no clue what to do with it.
I will be more careful next time. ^^

Thanks for the help GAF, very appreciated.

Gummifaust said:
Neat dog. Is that hungry fellow a Flat Coated Retriever?

He was a rescue and I've never had it confirmed, but all signs - temperament, mood, appearance - point to yes. Do you have much experience with flat coats? They seem to be pretty rare, from what I can tell.

mrkgoo

Ok, thought I'd share my current fave recipe.

Home-made Vanilla Ice Cream.

Ok, I REALLY recommend an electric eggbeater for this. I've done it by hand with a whisk or hand eggbeater, and while it's possible, it's a significantly larger effort.

What you'll need:

6 large eggs (organic/free range is better - the yolks have more flavour in my opinion)
473 mL full cream (whipping cream in US)
2 measures of [1/3cup+1Tbsp] castor sugar, ie final amount = 2/3 cup + 2Tbsp (baker's sugar in US - basically really fine sugar, but not as fine as icing sugar).
1+1/2 tspn vanilla extract (get the real thing!)

1) Crack and separate the eggs yolks from the egg whites. Important not to get yolk into the egg whites (the fat can interfere with the beating).
-----------------------

2) Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Then add 1 measure of sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, beating to make sure the sugar is well dissolved before adding the next. Add the vanilla and beat.

----------------------------

3) In a separate bowl, put the second measure of sugar with the egg yolks and beat until it becomes thick and pale.

4) Whip up the cream.

5) Now fold the three parts together with a large rubber spatula. Folding is essential - that is, don't stir it. You want to combine the ingredients without losing the air. A good motion is to cut down and 'flip' over the spatula.

6) Portion out into freeze-proof containers. Don't make them too deep as this slows the freezing process and can cause the ingredients to separate before freezing.

7) Freeze for at least 2 hours (maybe up to 4 depending on your freezer).

8) yum!

SumGamer

Nizar said:
Thank you, it tasted really good, everybody liked it especially my mom.

I made too much pasta compared to the sauce, I swear I ended up with more than 10 full plates of pasta, half of it is in the fridge now and i have no clue what to do with it.
I will be more careful next time. ^^

Thanks for the help GAF, very appreciated.

Got oven? I'd baked them together with the meatball you bought the other day.

Something like this.

Get a deep plate that can be used in baking.
Coat the plate with some olive oil.
Put the pasta in a the plate.
Cut the meatball to a nice chunk, I'd make them about the size of my thumb, then put them together with the pasta.
Put some stock in the plate if you have some, only a spoon or two.
Add more olive oil, just because I love them :lol .
Put some salt and pepper in, sliced butter if you love the scent.
Add some cheese on the top, loads of them.
Get that flour sheet that used to top the baking pie. Cover the top, brush some butter on top, pick some holes, then baked.

It might work out alright, I moved to live in a rented apartment and they don't allow oven in here. :( I wanna try it myself.

Not sure if my theory is right, but the hole should let the moisture out of the pie while keeping the heat inside to cook the meat and the top should protect the cheese inside from burning.

Do you think this might work?

Price Dalton said:
He was a rescue and I've never had it confirmed, but all signs - temperament, mood, appearance - point to yes. Do you have much experience with flat coats? They seem to be pretty rare, from what I can tell.

We had a Flat Coated / Golden Retriever mix. Unfortunately he died last year. He was an awesome dog. Because of his giant height (70 cm / ~ 27.5 inches) young kids often thought he was a black bear. :lol

2r61nnp.jpg

He loved to eat everything but citrus and licorice.

Zyzyxxz

Gummifaust said:
We had a Flat Coated / Golden Retriever mix. Unfortunately he died last year. He was an awesome dog. Because of his giant height (70 cm / ~ 27.5 inches) young kids often thought he was a black bear. :lol

2r61nnp.jpg

Haha thats awesome, my condolences though.

Mrkgoo that ice cream looks amazingly easy! I gotta try that sometime.

waxer

2v9apgz.jpg

Chicken curry and vegetable pies.
Didnt take pics after cutting them. Too busy eating. But it was my first attempt at making flaky pastry. I can already see heaps of ways of improving it next time.

mrkgoo

silentgiant said:
that icecream looks so goood! have you ever thought about getting a whole vanilla bean and add the seeds?
Indeed, I hAve thought about it. I don't knwo where to get them or how to use them, however.

I'm experimenting more with flavours, but ice cream is one of those recipes where even once a week is too much, so there's. Only so far you can go.

Zzzyyyxxxx.: it is easy!

The ice cream recipe is actually about 1.5 x what I used to make, but I multiplied it to match the 473 ml cream you have in the us.

It's really good. Pure ingredients. Creamy, eggy.

waxer said:
Chicken curry and vegetable pies.
Didnt take pics after cutting them. Too busy eating. But it was my first attempt at making flaky pastry. I can already see heaps of ways of improving it next time.

Is it like a short pastry or did you do a rough puff?

Gummifaust said:

2r61nnp.jpg

Man, great looking dog. He looks like he's seen it all. It's funny how wise and solemn older dogs look. I'm sorry for your loss.

My dog is a lot shorter than that, but as a pup he looked exactly like a little bear.

Price Dalton said:
My dog is a lot shorter than that, but as a pup he looked exactly like a little bear.

:lol
Than it's probably a flatcoated......well, or maybe a a little bear. Have fun with this great breed.

Momar

aka Ryder
Does anyone have a good Indian curry recipe they'd like to share? I'm finally back in my apartment and can't wait to start cooking again, and I've been craving something spicy. Alas, being white, any Indian/Thai restaurant will still make it pretty mild regardless of how much I beg :(. Thus, I have taken the task into my own hands!

I absolutely love eggplant bhartha, as a starting point. A good recipe for that would be a nice place to start!

Got some squashes from the CSA box last week so I roasted them up and served them with savory steel cut oatmeal. Porridge for dinner = win.

3844238661_248d89a372.jpg

Oh, and a salted duck egg.

I also made Torta Talong last week, which is a Filipino eggplant + egg omlette thing. It was my first time making it. It kinda fell apart, but tasted good at least.
3838415475_676229cdbd.jpg

CTLance

I GOTS MEEEAAAAAT
qoztsn.jpg

IT WUZ GIIIIFT.

(Sorry Vegetarians, but that stuff is rather delicious. And energizing, if you chew for a bit. I know it looks rather strange and probably not at all appetizing to you guys. Sorry.)

For non-Germans: It's dried antelope meat. They added some spices that make this particular jerky not as enjoyable as the normal kind (which is made of beef anyway), but hey, who am I to look a gift meat in the mouth, right? Free meat >>>> no meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom