• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

ChryZ: Thats really tasty looking, love me some lasagna. :)

fireside: Damn that looks nice. Now I feel hungry. :(

Some scraps from yesterday, but still damned tasty.

Paupiettes (filling is salami)

PO-TA-TOES
4198071680_6844b32d16_b.jpg

Only used butter and flake salt.
4198072072_4bcd7c72e2_b.jpg

~25 min at 225 degrees for extra crispiness.
4198072566_b616d2ea81_b.jpg

Heating up the rolls.
4197320063_de2383c5c5_b.jpg

PO-TA-TOES are done, milord.
4197320649_ca26989333_b.jpg

All done, forgot the veggies (actually, too lazy :D )
4197321105_786015ecef_b.jpg

Mmm, looks tasty. Mind if I has some?
4197318221_2d3b32f854_b.jpg

No! Stick to your dry food and water, kittenz!

ChryZ

Holy shit, Forsete. Your avatar, food and photography skills are most inspirational. Major props for the ZyXEL-warming kitteh.

Zyzyxxz, I was like "is that bacon, no it can't be bacon .... or can it be bacon, hm looks like bacon, wtf that's bacon, it must be bacon, I must has bacon" :lol

Zyzyxxz

ChryZ said:
Holy shit, Forsete. Your avatar, food and photography skills are most inspirational. Major props for the ZyXEL-warming kitteh.

Zyzyxxz, I was like "is that bacon, no it can't be bacon .... or can it be bacon, hm looks like bacon, wtf that's bacon, it must be bacon, I must has bacon" :lol

That is relatively mild in terms of bacon usage for This Is Why You're Fat.

I've seem some truly disgusting stuff on there and some amazing food architects too.

Schrade

ChryZ said:

He also makes nice game videos. Dude has talent and gadgets!

Corto

Oh my god! I'm so glad I clicked this thread... You guys make awesome food/photos! Will post some photos of some portuguese traditional christmas food next week with recipes.

...and of course, Happy Birthday to you OnkelC!

fireside

cartoon_soldier said:
Sorry, I mean cookware sets, pans, pots, etc.
First buy yourself one of these, hands down the best $100 you can spend on anything cooking related.

This fry pan, 12 inches, good for just about everything saute based.

One of these puppies for cooking steaks and what not.

2 Quart (maybe 3 quart? Not sure how big mine is...) one of these for rice and stuff.

One of these for soups and braises and deep frying, buy yourself a deep fry thermometer. I have a nice digital one.

Any cheap stock pot will do for pasta and such; get one as big as you can store pretty much.

That should keep you happy and your wallet light. Don't worry though, this stuff should last you a lifetime, and that cast iron skillet you'll be able to give to your grandkids.

ChryZ

fireside said:
First buy yourself one of these, hands down the best $100 you can spend on anything cooking related.

2 Quart (maybe 3 quart? Not sure how big mine is...) one of these for rice and stuff.

One of these for soups and braises and deep frying, buy yourself a deep fry thermometer. I have a nice digital one.

Any cheap stock pot will do for pasta and such; get one as big as you can store pretty much.

That should keep you happy and your wallet light. Don't worry though, this stuff should last you a lifetime, and that cast iron skillet you'll be able to give to your grandkids.
That's already great advice. I'd like to add: dutch oven (roasts, stews, etc), casserole dish (lasagna, hehe) and maybe a rice cooker (you can get good ones for around 40).

Kazuya

ChryZ said:
That lemon pie looks great, I need to learn how to make one.
It's really easy:
- I bought a pre made shortcrust pastry
- mix 3 eggs, 150gr of sugar, 100gr of butter, the juice of 2 lemons
- heat the mix in a pot, so it gets thick before you pour it on the pastry. Keep mixing it in the pot so it doesn't burn
- ???
- profit!

And that's a great lasagna you did

fireside

ChryZ said:
That's already great advice. I'd like to add: dutch oven (roasts, stews, etc), casserole dish (lasagna, hehe) and maybe a rice cooker (you can get good ones for around 40).
The Le Creuset I linked is a Dutch Oven, although it might be a little big. A rice cooker seems excessive for a beginner, you could take that 40 dollars and buy something much more useful, like storage containers or sheet pans (can never have enough sheet pans, I've got four with matching cooling racks) or a bunch of tongs and whisks (can never have enough of those either).

And stainless steel bowls. Can't forget those. Get a few of varying sizes. And some spatulas. And a plastic cutting board you can stick in the dishwasher for meats. A stainless steel mesh colander for draining stuff. I should probably stop while I'm ahead.

ChryZ

fireside said:
The Le Creuset I linked is a Dutch Oven, although it might be a little big. A rice cooker seems excessive for a beginner, you could take that 40 dollars and buy something much more useful, like storage containers or sheet pans (can never have enough sheet pans, I've got four with matching cooling racks) or a bunch of tongs and whisks (can never have enough of those either).

And stainless steel bowls. Can't forget those. Get a few of varying sizes. And some spatulas. And a plastic cutting board you can stick in the dishwasher for meats. A stainless steel mesh colander for draining stuff. I should probably stop while I'm ahead.
Whoops, I overlooked the dutch oven. Sorry, hehe.

I think a ricer cooker is especially great for beginners. You don't have to baby sit it, results are always perfect and it's one thing less to worry about.

Kazou said:
It's really easy:
- I bought a pre made shortcrust pastry
- mix 3 eggs, 150gr of sugar, 100gr of butter, the juice of 2 lemons
- heat the mix in a pot, so it gets thick before you pour it on the pastry. Keep mixing it in the pot so it doesn't burn
- ???
- profit!

And that's a great lasagna you did
Hey, thanks and thanks :)

Tried my hand at bread making today. Turned out well though I really only made basic white bread and cinnamon rolls. Great experience though - will definitely be exploring more!

White Bread
14236_633977143168_60710639_35961892_5610089_n.jpg

14236_633977208038_60710639_35961901_1140773_n.jpg

Cinnamon Rolls
14236_633977148158_60710639_35961893_902185_n.jpg

14236_633977158138_60710639_35961894_5260214_n.jpg

14236_633977163128_60710639_35961895_1752068_n.jpg

14236_633977173108_60710639_35961896_1845194_n.jpg

14236_633977223008_60710639_35961904_2179434_n.jpg

I forgot to take a picture with the frosting on top. :'(

Also everybody and anybody seemed to be staying over/hanging out at our house today so I made a lot of breakfast:
14236_633977198058_60710639_35961899_6940651_n.jpg

14236_633977203048_60710639_35961900_3706975_n.jpg

14236_633977213028_60710639_35961902_6730423_n.jpg

ChryZ

I LOVE cinnamon rolls. One of those dangerous foods that I can't stop eating until I'm sick.

Have you ever tried poppy seed rolls? Also delicious.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Put the extractor duct to the test tonight by making Spaetzle with caramelized onions. Worked like a charm :)
stock pic:
smallP1030150.jpg

Zyzyxxz

ChryZ said:
I LOVE cinnamon rolls. One of those dangerous foods that I can't stop eating until I'm sick.

Keep me away from poppy seed bagels.

I'll eat them until my body has enough to make opium.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
CrystalGemini said:
Cinnamon Rolls
14236_633977158138_60710639_35961894_5260214_n.jpg

I love cinnamon rolls. I've always wanted to give it a try making from scratch but Pillsbury makes it so easy to be lazy. What recipe did you use for the filling. Brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter?

I made some chicken fajitas tonight. Big hit with the fam, my camera battery is dead from the Christmas party the other night so no pics sorry. They tasted good but didn't 'look' awesome or anything so nobody's missing much with no pic.

Happy Holidays everyone. I look forward to seeing some holiday creations.

n0n44m

the next message is for all Euro gaffers who like pizza :D

bought this Bestron DLD9070 "Alfredo" pizza oven for ~€60

it's like a pizza-sized grill with a detachable pizza-stone that functions as the grilling surface (built quality is not top-notch but its a pretty simple piece of equipment really so I don't worry about its longetivity, there are some better quality Ferrara ovens available starting at double the price of this one ;D )

heats up to 450 celcius in around 10 mins, and in 3 to 6 minutes you'll create the most awesome home-made pizzas :)

made 5 pizzas yesterday for the family (first try) and they were all beautiful and delicious ;) just remember not to overdo the toppings, else they'll end up burning the heating coil

the heat and the stone surface create this wonderful crispy but still soft crust, and the toppings/cheese heat and melt very nicely as well

here are 2 pics of the first (very small!) pizza I made to test it out, using some store bought pre-mixed pizza dough (just had to add water and oil) , it was in the oven for 3:30 mins... with just some premixed pasta sauce on it, sliced tomato, sliced onion, some cheese and Italian seasoning ofcourse ;)

j7swer.jpg

snf5ok.jpg

ChryZ said:

No I have not! I've never even heard of them! Are they supposed to be sweet like cinnamon rolls or savory? O.O

RbBrdMan said:
I love cinnamon rolls. I've always wanted to give it a try making from scratch but Pillsbury makes it so easy to be lazy. What recipe did you use for the filling. Brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter?

Yep! Yeah I've been wanting to make them from scratch for a while too - if it wasn't for the fact I was making bread I probably wouldn't have made the rolls either! It really helped to kind of make an event of it. :D

You should TOTALLY try! It's way fun!

Zyzyxxz

Price Dalton said:
Anyone in Los Angeles?

Check out Surfas in Culver City. I just picked up a couple of these knives. They've fast become my favorite knives, and they're cheap as hell so you can load up on them.

They make great gifts, too.

interesting but I'm kind of too lazy to drive half an hour to Culver City.

ChryZ

CrystalGemini said:
No I have not! I've never even heard of them! Are they supposed to be sweet like cinnamon rolls or savory? O.O
More or less sweet. The spread usually contains poppy seeds, sugar, and some kind of fat (butter, ground almonds or walnuts).

fireside said:

Thanks for the info.

In the past, I had bought a Stainless Steel set (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008CM68/?tag=neogaf0e-20, but I wasn't to happy with it. But that probably had a lot to do with me not taking good care when cooking and as a result food sticking too easily to it.

The other thing is, I am in a 1 bedroom apartment, so I am thinking I will stick to the smaller sized ones, so I will probably buy the 10" pan first and see how it works out.

Zyzyxxz

cartoon_soldier said:
Thanks for the info.

In the past, I had bought a Stainless Steel set (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008CM68/?tag=neogaf0e-20, but I wasn't to happy with it. But that probably had a lot to do with me not taking good care when cooking and as a result food sticking too easily to it.

The other thing is, I am in a 1 bedroom apartment, so I am thinking I will stick to the smaller sized ones, so I will probably buy the 10" pan first and see how it works out.

The reason why your food was probably sticking is that you didn't let it sit long enough.

You gotta wait and let the food release itself from the pan.

fireside

cartoon_soldier said:
Thanks for the info.

Why would your apartment size have any relationship to the size of the pan you should buy?

Yes Boss!

Zyzyxxz said:
thats a really great price for an All-Clad.

Indeed!

I don't think the Lid will be much use for that pan but it will definitely come in handy in the future.

Also, I can't recommend the 4 Qrt sauce pan enough. I've owned about thirty All-Clad pieces over the last fifteen years and this is the ONLY one I still use regularly. I even refer to him as the "little machine" because it cooks so beautifully. Plus, it is my 13-minute rice cooker...priceless. This is not yuppie-ware at all. I've burned mine up a few times when I had drunk too much and he cleans up perfectly with barkeepers. Not sure what they go for now (maybe $100-$150) but it is well worth it.

Here he is. A total work horse who gets used every day. He is a little dirty because I made some cheese in him yesterday:

P1030313.jpg

Also, keeping with Onkel's fast food theme, I was going to cook a few chicken dishes tonight after buying ingredients but got tired and decided to try the lows and highs of so cal fast food. Got a Triple burger (3x3) at In N' Out along with a Jumbo Jack with Cheese from Jack in the Box. Just under $6 total. The Jumbo Jack was the winner.

screenshot_10-2.jpg

Tobor

First time posting in here. I've been baking fresh bread since I got this amazing book, "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day". I'd always wanted to bake fresh bread but it seemed way too difficult. Bread machines never gave me what I wanted. Anyway, now I'm pretty comfortable with the basics. Here's a nice Rye I made today:

41ea5a58.jpg

1ca4845e.jpg

2f560804.jpg

The hardest part is not eating the whole loaf right away. :lol

I make enough dough for 3-4 loaves at once and it keeps in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Tf53

Tobor said:
First time posting in here. I've been baking fresh bread since I got this amazing book, "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day".
I've been thinking of buying that, does it deliver on what it promises?

Tobor

Tf53 said:
I've been thinking of buying that, does it deliver on what it promises?

Absolutely. The premise is simple, but they really do a good job of breaking down baking to it's simplest steps. It's good for lazy people. I make a batch of dough in 20 minutes and it's good for 2 weeks. Cheap, too. I'm baking artisan loaves I used to buy at $4-$6 for next to nothing. And I've stuck with it.

You need a few items up front, they list them all in the first chapter. Stone, peel, oven thermometer, and a food grade bucket. I use a 5 gallon ice cream bucket. Works like a charm.

ChryZ

Tobor said:
First time posting in here. I've been baking fresh bread since I got this amazing book, "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day". I'd always wanted to bake fresh bread but it seemed way too difficult. Bread machines never gave me what I wanted. Anyway, now I'm pretty comfortable with the basics. Here's a nice Rye I made today:

41ea5a58.jpg

1ca4845e.jpg

2f560804.jpg

The hardest part is not eating the whole loaf right away. :lol

I make enough dough for 3-4 loaves at once and it keeps in the fridge for 2 weeks.
Fantastic job, let me bump this for the new page.

Zyzyxxz

sweetwasabi said:
Guess this is the best place to ask since I love tofu: what are some good recipes for/with them?

Mapo Tofu - the definitive Southern Chinese tofu dish IMO of course.

The recipe is very versatile as it only requires ground meat, I've used beef, pork, and chicken and all are fine as long as you cook them right.

Corto

My first post here too:

This was our dinner today... "Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo" :D

One of my tricks here is preparing my own mayo... Homemade mayo is really a treat and you can season it with herbs and spices to your own taste wich is nice.

I start with a teaspoon of mustard, fine sliced half garlic and one egg yolk.

20091222-cuyngfaq3akhh4tuubs7km2yk3.gif

Then one person needs to continually stir this mixture with a fork while another person drops really slowly and gently a continuous string of vegetable oil (or olive oil if you prefer). Stir it like crazy... A little trick, if the mayo loses the colloid consistency you can stir it with an hand blender/chopper until it regains it, then proceed with the fork.

20091222-55fmr27qgjjx4p3dxn2fn1kur.gif

When you're pleased with the quantity and consistency of the mayo you can then season it to your taste with salt, pepper, herbs and spices. Your imagination and taste is the limit.

Now that you have a bowl of mayo you can begin to prepare the salted cod fish tenderloins. (you will need to desalted them before or buy already desalted salted cod hehehehe :lol )

If the loins are already boneless you can skip this step, if not, you will have to cut the central spine with a sharp knife cutting in the direction of the bone.

20091222-rety6nucttytwsia8w1w5m1fgq.gif

Then you will pass the loins through flour in a plate and then put them to fry in a frying pan filled with olive oil (a lot of it).

20091222-bp87rfhsur91h9n3mx53mkesbe.gif

Take them out of the pan when they show a really nice yellow to brownish colour and reserve them in a big plate that can go to the hot oven.

20091222-pcbq6t43erkhx4jxi41dnmhtd4.gif

20091222-d4n6p491bj86hgpi7pfdg2xgt9.gif

Cut 3-4 big oignons in large slices and fry them in the same oil that you used to fry the cod until they are almost translucent.

20091222-kmdsf1ghjnbbybp8i8wam4wfqk.gif

Add olive oil if needed. Take the oignon slices and pour them over the cod including the frying oil.

20091222-84xr2djnxercjkr6dq71gngcpr.gif

Spread the mayo over the cod loins and take the plate to the hot oven (180º C) and let it cook until the mayo and oignons show a beautiful toasted colour...

20091222-bb43pt3ddwmq2w53mysxfctd45.gif

You can serve this with mashed potatoes (the more traditional way) or a potato sufflé. I didn't have the time to do this so I half baked 3-4 medium potatoes in boiling water and then added them to the cod plate to roast them a little in the oven...

20091222-ndrtykpxkk8ccb62thd1yu5692.gif

... and I hope you've enjoyed my first participation to the IronGAF Cookoff.

Corto

Zyzyxxz said:
I dont even know where to buy salt cod but I've always wanted to try making my own mayo/aioli

Try to find a portuguese grocery near you... A spanish one will have it too I guess. I did find on Amazon (I first thought it was a google joke :lol ) Premium Salt Cod

Davedough

I dont have any pictures, but I made some buffalo wings that were bombalicious.

1 package of fresh chicken wings cut at the knuckles with the tips thrown away.
1/2 cup Franks Buffalo Wing sauce (or Texas Pete's)
2 Tbspns brown sugar
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic mashed (garlic press is a must for this)
3 to 4 tbspns butter (reduce the amount of butter for spicier wings)
Black Pepper
Seasoned Salt (Lawry's is what I used)
Vegetable oil

Heat oven to 300*F and place chicken wings on a baking sheet (lined with foil so there's no mess to clean afterwards). Sprinkle lightly with pepper and seasoned salt. Place them in the oven while you're making your sauce.

In a medium sauce pan on medium-low, heat butter and garlic together until butter begins to boil and garlic becomes SLIGHTLY browned. (You'll know from the wonderful aroma of garlic in the air). Add 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar and stir occasionally until sauce just begins to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally.

Heat large sauce pan half-full of vegetable oil on another burner and bring the oil to a temperature of 350*F. If you do not have a candy thermometer, I used the setting of "6" on my range to achieve that mean temperature. Adjust accordingly. (You'll know its hot enough if you dip your finger in water and just let one droplet hit the oil. If it spatters at you, the oil is ready. If it spatters manically and violently, the oil is too hot. If nothing happens, the oil is too cool.

After about 15-20 minutes, (roughly the time it takes for the oil to come to temp) the chicken wings should be white in the oven. Pierce one to see how thoroughly they're cooked. A LITTLE PINK IS OK, you'll be cooking them again in the next step. When they're almost white throughout, take them out of the oven and place them into the pot of oil. Let them cook until you see golden brown skin on the wings. Remove them when they're done and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil. When comfortable with the wings, put them in a large bowl and spoon the sauce over them, turning the wings every so often to achieve a good coat.

The baking then frying will achieve a nice crisp outside to the wings and not take on that soggy feel some can get. The ingredients in the sauce will give a sweet/hot mixture that is typical of southern US style cooking. The butter calms the heat a bit so its not mouth exploding, but still has enough bite to be enjoyable. The sugar in the sauce turns it into a glaze so it sticks to the chicken really well and gives it a nice coat.

This all leads into my "homemade" Blue Cheese dressing.

5oz package of Blue Cheese (I prefer Treasure Cave, but that isn't available everywhere.) Just find an approximate 5oz (419g) sized crumbled blue cheese container and experiment.
2 HEAPING tablespoons of Mayonaisse (Heaping is capped because I really use a generous serving of this)
1 clove garlic, mashed (garlic press is a must for this)
1 16oz container of sour cream
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
Black Pepper
Seasoned Salt

In a large bowl, spread out blue cheese chunks and press in garlic. Mix these two around and reduce the size of the cheese chunks to suit your liking. Add Mayonaisse, sour cream, vinegar and stir well. Add generous amounts of seasoned salt and pepper to taste. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour. Cut up celery sticks and enjoy.

Yes Boss!

Zyzyxxz said:
I dont even know where to buy salt cod but I've always wanted to try making my own mayo/aioli

Or try a Russian market...they have all kinds of dried fish. San Francisco is a nice city for this...especially the russian row on Geary St.

Tonight I made Chicken Tikka Masala. Since I read up on it and found out that it was British I went for a soupy type of consistency and added red food coloring at the end. Also, used all thigh meat for a more flavorful taste. Vegetables are red bell peppers, square-cut onions, and rough-chopped serranos. Only rice I had made was zucchini rice (why there are little green bits in it).

P1030327.jpg

Yes Boss! said:
Or try a Russian market...they have all kinds of dried fish. San Francisco is a nice city for this...especially the russian row on Geary St.

Tonight I made Chicken Tikka Masala. Since I read up on it and found out that it was British I went for a soupy type of consistency and added red food coloring at the end. Also, used all thigh meat for a more flavorful taste. Vegetables are red bell peppers, square-cut onions, and rough-chopped serranos. Only rice I had made was zucchini rice (why there are little green bits in it).

P1030327.jpg

That looks lovely. Do post your full recipe if you don't mind, as I am going to attempt it (after a long time) next week.

Also, I would argue that the origination of Chicken Tikka Masala is Indian, it probably was never just called that.

Yes Boss!

cartoon_soldier said:
That looks lovely. Do post your full recipe if you don't mind, as I am going to attempt it (after a long time) next week.

Also, I would argue that the origination of Chicken Tikka Masala is Indian, it probably was never just called that.

You may be correct.

For this version I used the Vahrehvah video below. I stewed the marinated chicken instead of grilling it, left out the cashews (I'm currently out of them), upped the tomatoes and then added a bunch of red food coloring.

http://vahrehvah.com/popvideo.php?recipe_id=3272

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom