• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
ChryZ said:
That's a good looking chili, RbBrdMan.

You did the whole batch in a crock pot? What's up with the plastic foil?

Yes I did the whole batch in the crock pot. It is torturing me with such a delicious smell. I've got it simmering on low and should be done in a few hours now. I find that doing it all in the crock pot really helps enhance the flavor.

As for the bag, I HATE doing dishes. So I bought these for all of my crock pot adventures.
1211343366-46898_full.jpg

Zoe

RbBrdMan said:
This chili has 3lbs of 80/20 ground beef.

This has me thinking, what percentage do you guys typically use for general cooking? I always go for one of the extra lean ones because I don't want to deal with draining all that grease.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Zoe said:
This has me thinking, what percentage do you guys typically use for general cooking? I always go for one of the extra lean ones because I don't want to deal with draining all that grease.

Depends what I'm making. Though usually if I go lean I'm mixing meats anyway. Lean by itself rarely has the gusto I want.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
it's always impressive to see the legally allowed fat contents of ground beef/pork across the different countries. For Germany, the max fat contents are 20 per cent for ground beef, 35 per cent for ground pork and 30 per cent for 50/50 pork/beef mix.

SnakeXs

OnkelC said:
it's always impressive to see the legally allowed fat contents of ground beef/pork across the different countries. For Germany, the max fat contents are 20 per cent for ground beef, 35 per cent for ground pork and 30 per cent for 50/50 pork/beef mix.

I believe it's 30% here for ground beef, but I rarely see that. Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe things labelled as "hamburger" are allowed to have extra fat added, whereas "ground beef" fat can only come from the cuts being ground.

I think.

I tend to have a butcher grind stuff for me, though.

Zyzyxxz said:
Never had any personal experience with it but most people say its a good value for the money.

Recently I just purchased a Global 8" chef's, coming tomorrow so I will give my impressions on it later.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005OL44/?tag=neogaf0e-20
21-eYHQmjsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

high carbon steel that is harder to sharpen yourself (so better to let a professional do it for you) and the ergonomics are a bit different from normal knives so go to a Bed Bath and Beyond or a Williams-Sonoma store to give it a try.

Anthony Bourdain specifically mentions Global knives as being very good in his book Kitchen Confidential.

SnakeXs said:

:D

Basically (paraphrased a bit) this is what he has to say:

Bourdain said:
Throw out all your kitchen knives. Do not go buy a set of German knives such as Henckels. You will not spend the time each day with a whetstone followed by a steel to keep them sharp. You only need at most three knives. Buy a Global Chefs Knife. It is a good stainless steel knife that will keep it's sharpness a long time and is a good one to use. It is stainless steel. If you need a second knife, buy an Offset Serrated knife by the F. Dick company. You will only need the third knife (a boning knife) if you plan to filet a lot of fish.

It is also CRITICALLY important in buying knives to at least hold them in your hand before you buy, or make sure you can return them if you don't like them. If a knife isn't comfortable to you, it is useless and will ruin a lot of the pleasure of having a great blade.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Zoe said:

Ground round or ground chuck for burgers. Something like an 85/15 mix is what I use for burgers, or I grind it myself using a chuck roast if they're on sale. Things like chili and beef tacos I use the leanest I can get because I don't want all the grease in the pan, and it's usually easier to crumble with a wooden spoon too.

ChryZ

Those Global knifes look ace. Zyzyxxz, please keep us posted on how you like yours.

RbBrdMan said:
Yes I did the whole batch in the crock pot. It is torturing me with such a delicious smell. I've got it simmering on low and should be done in a few hours now. I find that doing it all in the crock pot really helps enhance the flavor.
I really like to sear/brown the living hell out of beef when I'm cooking chili. IMHO the best way to really get its flavor going. I'm totally with you on the few hours thing. You can't rush a good chili.

RbBrdMan said:
As for the bag, I HATE doing dishes. So I bought these for all of my crock pot adventures.
1211343366-46898_full.jpg
Mind blown.

I made Korean Dak Gochujang Boekum (chicken marinaded in sugar, braised in garlic / ginger / chili sauce with zucchini and scallion):

p1000546.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Hey guys what consistency should gnocchi have? I made some and it was very light, basically felt like mashed potatoes that held together, pillowy if you will.

It was my first time making it and eating it. Decided to keep it simple and go with brown butter and fried sage sauce.

4325687793_2835ac4e1c_b.jpg

4326424888_73c13ea980_b.jpg

4325689819_80ed0cd652_b.jpg

Zoe

Zyzyxxz said:
Hey guys what consistency should gnocchi have? I made some and it was very light, basically felt like mashed potatoes that held together, pillowy if you will.

Every time I've had them, they've been a bit chewy.

Kangaboo

Neo Member
Zyzyxxz said:

What kind were they? Potato gnocchi have a totally different mouthfeel than say, gnocchi made with flour.

Zyzyxxz

Kangaboo said:
What kind were they? Potato gnocchi have a totally different mouthfeel than say, gnocchi made with flour.

it was made with riced potatoes and 3/4 cup of flour to bind it together.

Kangaboo

Neo Member
Zyzyxxz said:
it was made with riced potatoes and 3/4 cup of flour to bind it together.

Yeah, those would definitely be a bit softer, however the sage and brown butter with them, bet they were delicious!!!

Small culinary school update here.

First 3 weeks have gone by quite fast, a LOT of theory is being taught and none of us can stand being in the classroom! It gets a lot better when we're in the kitchen, time just flies by.
We seem to be touching a lot of different modules at once, but hopefully all the main theory modules will be done with soon. We've been in the kitchen a fair bit, unfortunately I haven't been able to take any pics of the food we've been making, but I'll try for the future.

Stuff we've tried to make:
- White Chicken / White Veal / Brown Veal Stocks + Fish Fumet
- Bechamel + Cheese Sauce for Macaroni al Forno
- Started on Pate Brisee for pie dough
- Sauteeing / Panfrying Vegetables (made some pretty damn good panfried zucchini)
- Shaping Vegetables + Potage Garbure

Just did Mayonnaise and Hollandaise today by hand, and lemme tell you for someone who doesn't have much practice with a whisk it was some tough stuff. I was lucky enough not to break my sauces, so that went over pretty well. Tomorrow we're gonna try to make brown stock derivatives like Espagnol and Demi-Glace, so I'm looking forward to it!

Zyzyxxz

projectkuro said:

First 3 weeks have gone by quite fast, a LOT of theory is being taught and none of us can stand being in the classroom! It gets a lot better when we're in the kitchen, time just flies by.
We seem to be touching a lot of different modules at once, but hopefully all the main theory modules will be done with soon. We've been in the kitchen a fair bit, unfortunately I haven't been able to take any pics of the food we've been making, but I'll try for the future.

Stuff we've tried to make:
- White Chicken / White Veal / Brown Veal Stocks + Fish Fumet
- Bechamel + Cheese Sauce for Macaroni al Forno
- Started on Pate Brisee for pie dough
- Sauteeing / Panfrying Vegetables (made some pretty damn good panfried zucchini)
- Shaping Vegetables + Potage Garbure

Just did Mayonnaise and Hollandaise today by hand, and lemme tell you for someone who doesn't have much practice with a whisk it was some tough stuff. I was lucky enough not to break my sauces, so that went over pretty well. Tomorrow we're gonna try to make brown stock derivatives like Espagnol and Demi-Glace, so I'm looking forward to it!

Props on making mayo! I tried it once and my arm was dead tired after the end of it. Tasted pretty crappy too.

I've made Hollandaise as well and I prefer it to making mayo.

way more

Zyzyxxz said:

I'm seconding your suggestiong of the Victornox

Victorinox-8-Inch-Chef%E2%80%99s-Knife.jpg

There is a reason you see these knives in every restaurant in America. Globals are also nice but damn if the weight and size doesn't make me afraid I'm going to lose control of it. I'm saying they are too sleek for me.

Whatever you purchase make sure you get an appropriate knife gaurd.

f%20dick%20knife%20guards%202.jpg

projectkuro said:

Are you doing plenty of cleaning?

Yeah, my mayo was fun to make but was too vinegar-y so I tossed it.
I did love making the hollandaise though, I know that I'm gonna be making it more often from now on.

Question for everyone out there, anyone know where I can find a good, sturdy knife/equipment bag online as well as some knife guards? I can't find any good knife guards anywhere here and I'd like to put my knife into bags with guards, cause everything I have is in a toolbox atm.

Are you doing plenty of cleaning?

All the time. :lol

For our initiation and welcome to the program they had us do all full scrubdown of the Prep and Service kitchens. Tables were shined, ovens were dregreased, splatter was scraped and those damn gas stovetops were rubbed down to the metal. Took a good amount of time, but I guess it was important for us to learn that it's all part of the job.

way more

projectkuro said:
Question for everyone out there, anyone know where I can find a good, sturdy knife/equipment bag online as well as some knife guards? I can't find any good knife guards anywhere here and I'd like to put my knife into bags with guards, cause everything I have is in a toolbox atm.

I suggest a knife case. They look cooler.

H35004500.jpg

40 bucks http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=H35004500

I own this one.
41DR9YEYP0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001KOBVI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
46 bucks with 10 pockets.
It's good but I paid less that 40 for it.

There are plenty more here. You may need more than 8 pockets. I imagine they are going to want to you have every little tool required.
http://www.cheftools.com/Knife-Bags-Knife-Rolls-Knife-Cases/products/555/

All those places sell knife gaurds. If you've got a victorinox you should get the Bladesafe brand.
47303.jpg

They are heavy duty.

Zyzyxxz

ChryZ said:
Those Global knifes look ace. Zyzyxxz, please keep us posted on how you like yours.

Alright after receiving my Global 8" Cooks knife I tried a few things with it. Nothing big yet since I didn't want to waste food and cut things for the sake of it (although I wanted to badly).

I tried some garlic bulbs and ginger root and I have to say I am mightily impressed by its precision, ergonomics, balance, and sharpness. Of course anything would have been an improvement over the Chinese cleaver I have been using for years.

I tried mincing garlic and I could really get into it. Then I sliced and julienned garlic and then tried mincing it. Really great performance I have to say. So was it worth $100? Hard to say, I've yet to slice and onion or tomato or try trimming meat of fat with it but so far I think it will stay with me for a long time. Also it looks sexy as hell for an inanimate object.

4327236862_a181398194_o.jpg

I tried making paper thin slices of ginger and I got pretty close, enough that it became partially transparent.
4327237024_21744a2e95_o.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
really nice knife.

I don't understand Bourdains loathing of Henckels/Zwilling knifes, maybe they are too expensive in the US of A? The Four****-range is widespread in pro kitchens because they can take quite a beating, are machine-washable and still keep their sharpness for a long time, so the argument they need a sharpening every day is kinda...wrong.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
really nice knife.

I don't understand Bourdains loathing of Henckels/Zwilling knifes, maybe they are too expensive in the US of A? The Four****-range is widespread in pro kitchens because they can take quite a beating, are machine-washable and still keep their sharpness for a long time, so the argument they need a sharpening every day is kinda...wrong.
When he wrote that book it was over ten years ago I believe?

I remember in the book he states you can get a global knife for 30 or 40 something which is impossible now. So who knows, maybe at the time wustoff was really expensive in the usa

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
When he wrote that book it was over ten years ago I believe?

I remember in the book he states you can get a global knife for 30 or 40 something which is impossible now. So who knows, maybe at the time wustoff was really expensive in the usa
yeah, a 4**** Chef knife is about half the price of the Global Chef knife here...:lol

Zyzyxxz

Well today started out pretty good. Hopefully it will get better since I'm going in for a job interview at this Korean/Japanese fusion cafe.

It's a small place but its a job and it gives experience in the kitchen which is what I need the most now. Wish me luck!

As for cooking today I decided to take my hand at duck breast, for my first time I thought I did quite well except it was only mildly pink. I was aiming for closer to medium rare.

Served with a side of white rice and polenta fries, which were fried in the rendered duck fat.

4328499006_04200e5a92_o.jpg

4327765517_6610d7f72c_o.jpg

SnakeXs

Mmm, duck. Mmmmmmm duck fat.

And yeah, I'm mad at my cast iron skillet. Someone cleaned it, thoroughly, a bit ago. It hasn't been the same since. On top of that, someone then used it, and didn't clean it, for days, and I had no clue.

It's now rough, and kinda spotted (some areas are darker than others). Trying to get a prelim season on it hasn't worked out too well, and neither has using it every chance I get, and making things like bacon just for the hell of it. Any thoughts/ideas?

Panda1

Banned
ChryZ said:

I really like to sear/brown the living hell out of beef when I'm cooking chili. IMHO the best way to really get its flavor going. I'm totally with you on the few hours thing. You can't rush a good chili.

Mind blown.

I made Korean Dak Gochujang Boekum (chicken marinaded in sugar, braised in garlic / ginger / chili sauce with zucchini and scallion):

p1000546.jpg

that looks stunning

Zyzyxxz

SnakeXs said:

And yeah, I'm mad at my cast iron skillet. Someone cleaned it, thoroughly, a bit ago. It hasn't been the same since. On top of that, someone then used it, and didn't clean it, for days, and I had no clue.

It's now rough, and kinda spotted (some areas are darker than others). Trying to get a prelim season on it hasn't worked out too well, and neither has using it every chance I get, and making things like bacon just for the hell of it. Any thoughts/ideas?

pour a ton of salt on it and rub it in with a disposable towel. Give it a wash and if that doesn't help then boil some water, salt, vinegar in it, drain, and proceed to wipe it.

Also a good way to season is to cook some bacon and then leave the fat in and rub it all over with it. Put it in the oven at 500 F for an hour and then turn off oven, leave it off and it should be good.

Good seasoning takes a while, it took mine over half of year of once a week use before it got to a nice coating.

ChryZ

Zyzyxxz said:
Well today started out pretty good. Hopefully it will get better since I'm going in for a job interview at this Korean/Japanese fusion cafe.
:O

Good luck!

Kalbi said:
that looks stunning
Much appreciated, especially from a user called Kalbi. Mouth watering screen name :D

Zyzyxxz

Yay I got the job, it was pretty much given to me the moment I got there.

It's a pretty laidback cafe serving Asian fusion food right near the beach. The commute might suck but its a restaurant job and I'll try it out.

Time to celebrate with some dry-aged rib eyes!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:

It's a pretty laidback cafe serving Asian fusion food right near the beach. The commute might suck but its a restaurant job and I'll try it out.

Time to celebrate with some dry-aged rib eyes!
Good to hear! Best of luck in the new position!

ChryZ, niiice chicken!

Re: Gnocchi, authentic Gnochi di patate are meant to be fluffy, but since close to none chef gets them right (too much flour), the chewy variant, albeit easier to prepare in large quantities, has become the faulted mainstream.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Good to hear! Best of luck in the new position!

ChryZ, niiice chicken!

Re: Gnocchi, authentic Gnochi di patate are meant to be fluffy, but since close to none chef gets them right (too much flour), the chewy variant, albeit easier to prepare in large quantities, has become the faulted mainstream.

Hmmm well mine were quite fluffy so I suppose I made them right.

Any recommendations for sauces to go with it?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
Hmmm well mine were quite fluffy so I suppose I made them right.

Any recommendations for sauces to go with it?
Butter and sage is the golden combo, but Gnocchi also fly well with a thick, chunky tomato sauce or cream/gorgonzola.

ChryZ

Zyzyxxz said:

It's a pretty laidback cafe serving Asian fusion food right near the beach.
Congrats! You definitely need to steal their best recipes and post them here ;)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
SnakeXs said:

Duck fat! <3 I bought a jar of the stuff, and I'm pretty much exclusively cooking with it! :D

Funny about Global knives, I've seen them get a ton of flack at various food related forums. Could be that the ones posting negative things about them use $1000+ hand made Japanese knives that seem to require a ton of maintenance. So that may be a reason :/

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Keen said:
Duck fat! <3 I bought a jar of the stuff, and I'm pretty much exclusively cooking with it! :D

Funny about Global knives, I've seen them get a ton of flack at various food related forums. Could be that the ones posting negative things about them use $1000+ hand made Japanese knives that seem to require a ton of maintenance. So that may be a reason :/
dunno, but value/money wise, there should be several alternatives to global knives. It's a lot about personal bonding with the cutlery in question, would be my guess.

Ydahs

I blame you GAF. I was so amazed by the talent in this thread that I decided to make something of my own. Now I'm normally a healthy person, but this monstrosity completely turned that around (note, this is the most complex 'dish' I've ever made on my own)

I present to you, the salami and jam pizza.

2d195l3.jpg

2zgxnqx.jpg

That's seven slices of melted Kraft sliced cheese on top of Lebanese bread, with a several beef salamis on top. I sprayed some herbs on it and microwaved it for around a minute. After that, the grand ingredient was added: strawberry jam!

It was actually okay :lol :lol , but after eating it, a two hour jog sounds like the right thing to do...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that's a fun combination! What brought you to adding strawberry jam? Doesn't sound like a totally bad idea, but really uncommon.

Tf53

Super Bowl menu galore!

Home-made bagels with pulled pork and beef
Bacon-wrapped hot dogs
Potato chips and cheesy poofs

and for dessert... Oreo pie!

I might throw in some salad on the side to keep it a bit fresher, but other than that it's meat, meat, meat!

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
dunno, but value/money wise, there should be several alternatives to global knives. It's a lot about personal bonding with the cutlery in question, would be my guess.

I suppose it depends on your location but here in the USA Wusthof's and Global's knives cost about the same.

harSon said:
Can anyone recommend a good stir fry sauce recipe?

Can't go wrong with the Cantonese basic:

2 parts oyster sauce
1 parts soy sauce
1 parts water

optional: 1 part chili sauce or just go crazy and add whatever you think that would add flavor. Minced garlic or ginger, some hoisin sauce, sesame oil, use your imagination.

Ydahs

OnkelC said:
that's a fun combination! What brought you to adding strawberry jam? Doesn't sound like a totally bad idea, but really uncommon.
It was either the chilli sauce or strawberry jam. I wanted to do something slightly bizarre so I went with the jam :)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
IronGAF, I've decided I want to make some oven baked bbq beef ribs tomorrow while watching the super bowl.

I need some advice on the BBQ sauce. I could just go with the standard KC Masterpiece like I usually do but I'm in the mood to mix it up a little.

What BBQ sauce does IronGAF recommend? Store bought or homemade if anyone is inclined to post a recipe. I prefer sweet rather than tangy in regards to sauce, and of course I will post pics of the finished product.

Any recommendations?

SRG01

My first attempt at a cheesecake:

1zl7i50.jpg

Well actually, this is my second attempt. I made chocolate cheesecake truffles for my bday potluck but I neglected to take photos!

Zyzyxxz

RbBrdMan said:
IronGAF, I've decided I want to make some oven baked bbq beef ribs tomorrow while watching the super bowl.

I need some advice on the BBQ sauce. I could just go with the standard KC Masterpiece like I usually do but I'm in the mood to mix it up a little.

What BBQ sauce does IronGAF recommend? Store bought or homemade if anyone is inclined to post a recipe. I prefer sweet rather than tangy in regards to sauce, and of course I will post pics of the finished product.

Any recommendations?

I really enjoy this one.

cattlebarb.jpg

RbBrdMan said:

Any recommendations?

sweet+baby+rays.jpg

RbBrdMan said:

Any recommendations?
I've used Stubb's before and really enjoyed it. I'm going to be making some pork ribs for tomorrow. I got three huge slabs brining in the fridge as we speak. For the sauce I'm going to try Famous Daves Sweet and Tangy and Devil's Spit. I'll let you guys know how they turn out.

Kangaboo

Neo Member
Honey & Walnut Tart

23k2ah2.jpg

I love playing with ganache. :)

BBQ - If you can find it.... Gates & Sons Or it might just be Gates BBQ Sauce. I'm too lazy to go look in the fridge.

This is the BBQ that I grew up with as a kid. It was either Gates or KC BBQ when we would go visit my grandmothers in Missouri.

I ask my parents to find this stuff and fly it to me in San Fracisco. That's how good it is. :)

SRG01

Kangaboo said:
I love playing with ganache. :)

I'm a newbie with ganache... I find it way too hard to put onto cakes as an outer shell of sorts. Should I even be using a ganache or can I just stick with tempered chocolate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom