• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dejavu said:
I made shepherds pie

img0515v.jpg

That looks so good and so easy! I should try that some day. *adds to list* :9

Easy_G

First attempt at creme brulee. Not having proper ramekins made it a bit harder to caramelize the sugar than I expected (glasses were so deep they kept extinguishing the torch). It was amazing having that for dessert 4 nights in a row though. :lol Also the first time I've really used whole vanilla bean, which is delicious. And it wasn't until after I paid $7 for one that I found a place that sells them for $2 a pop.

4310369843_c7ec3952b1.jpg

4311108386_60b87b97fe.jpg

4310369295_c27bf6f03a.jpg

4310367801_6a468a5e05.jpg

4310368835_9d01957ce5.jpg

4311106176_6e3e10b7d6.jpg

Iamnub

Banned
Easy_G said:
First attempt at creme brulee. Not having proper ramekins made it a bit harder to caramelize the sugar than I expected (glasses were so deep they kept extinguishing the torch). It was amazing having that for dessert 4 nights in a row though. :lol Also the first time I've really used whole vanilla bean, which is delicious. And it wasn't until after I paid $7 for one that I found a place that sells them for $2 a pop.

4311106176_6e3e10b7d6.jpg

That is so very cool. I've tried a couple of times to make my own custard and ended up with warm (sugary) scrambled eggs :( Can't seem to master the art of tempering! Yours look great though, vanilla bean definitely makes a difference!

Zyzyxxz

Brianemone said:
I just picked up a new one. It's a crappy Chinese brand, but it does the trick. Great fro compressing watermelon/apple etc.

17572_304689352891_700067891_4765629_788833_n.jpg

how much did it cost you? I've been eying the Food Saver brand vacuum sealers which can be had for under $200.

Zyzyxxz said:
how much did it cost you? I've been eying the Food Saver brand vacuum sealers which can be had for under $200.

$1000, (but that's NZ dollars so not sure how much they could be had for in the states.)

The problem I had with the foodsaver type vacuum units is that they just don't do everything I want. They are ok for simplebagging, like for sous vide, but if there's a lot of liquid in it or you need to apply pressure to the contents then it's not really an option.

Zyzyxxz

Brianemone said:
$1000, (but that's NZ dollars so not sure how much they could be had for in the states.)

The problem I had with the foodsaver type vacuum units is that they just don't do everything I want. They are ok for simplebagging, like for sous vide, but if there's a lot of liquid in it or you need to apply pressure to the contents then it's not really an option.

I guess it can't be helped.

I'm not ready yet to buy a real immersion circulator and I just wanted to start experimenting with the sous vide technique.

Although $1000 isn't that bad if I were to make an investment for the longterm, just not ready to dip into it. It's at least priced more affordably than those $5000 sealers.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Even the greatest dishes start with an empty platter:
Enjoy!

Looks good! But it seems familiar? Is this a repost of an old one or did you make the same thing with different pictures?

I feel like I have seen this before.

ChryZ

Pan fried chicken bits seasoned gyros style, oven fresh pita (wheat flatbread made with yeast), home made tzaziki, shredded lettuce, sliced cherry tomatos, red coleslaw, onions marinaded in vinegar / olive oil and parsley.

p1000528.jpg

I'm stuffed! :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
Looks good! But it seems familiar? Is this a repost of an old one or did you make the same thing with different pictures?

I feel like I have seen this before.
Pics were from yesterdays dish, but I posted similar ones a few times ago. It's a frequent flyer in our kitchen for some time now:lol

ChryZ

I always wanted to make gumbo, but it's pretty much impossible to get filé powder (ground sassafras leaves) here :(

Maybe I should look into mail ordering it.

Schrade

ChryZ said:
Pan fried chicken bits seasoned gyros style, oven fresh pita (wheat flatbread made with yeast), home made tzaziki, shredded lettuce, sliced cherry tomatos, red coleslaw, onions marinaded in vinegar / olive oil and parsley.

[img ]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/13373475/miscellaneous/p1000528.jpg[/img]

I'm stuffed! :D
That looks frickin' awesome. Good stuff.

ChryZ said:
I always wanted to make gumbo, but it's pretty much impossible to get filé powder (ground sassafras leaves) here :(

Maybe I should look into mail ordering it.
Its actually pretty much optional to use them. What gives the gumbo its unique flavor would be the roux (slowly cooked oil and flour). Do you know what that is or have you ever tried to make one?

Shanadeus

Banned
Hey all!
I read through this thread a couple of times when I was lurking on the forums and I remember in particular some guy, Yessboss or something, that would post delicious veggie indian recipes.
Anyone know around which pages he posted these?

Zyzyxxz

Well back to being unemployed so that means more time to cook!

A scallop stir fry
4318107874_a7e6f3877e.jpg

4317372335_6423ed63ef_b.jpg

First time making a roast chicken. The green spot under the skin is the herb butter not something weird.

It came out undercooked due to my crappy attempt at using a toaster oven (since I've got no oven as of yet). Next time I'm gonna take it to a friends house and borrow his oven.
4317370131_9c23450e8f_b.jpg

ChryZ

Bummer to hear about the unemployment thingy, Zyzyxxz. Hang in there. Kick ass pictures, btw.

Schrade said:
That looks frickin' awesome. Good stuff.
Thank you for the kind comment.

abstract alien said:
Its actually pretty much optional to use them. What gives the gumbo its unique flavor would be the roux (slowly cooked oil and flour). Do you know what that is or have you ever tried to make one?
I read a few recipes and they all called for it. Got discouraged and never tried to cook the dish. I do know about roux, maybe I should give it a go.

ChryZ said:
I read a few recipes and they all called for it. Got discouraged and never tried to cook the dish. I do know about roux, maybe I should give it a go.
Definitely give it a try. The roux is the most important part of it, so be sure to get a nice, deep chocolate color. If you think you've messed it up, then don't go any further. Get that, and you will certainly get the authentic flavor you are looking for. The file really is optional, and is usually just kept at the table in most cases. It is good stuff, but I only use it about half the time though.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
abstract alien said:
Definitely give it a try. The roux is the most important part of it, so be sure to get a nice, deep chocolate color. If you think you've messed it up, then don't go any further. Get that, and you will certainly get the authentic flavor you are looking for. The file really is optional, and is usually just kept at the table in most cases. It is good stuff, but I only use it about half the time though.

I'm the same way. File is cool and all, but not necessary. Okra is probably a more staple ingredient, and I even forgo that sometimes.

The roux and a good stock is the basis for it all. Get that right and you probably won't go wrong.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
unemployed? what has happened?

the restaurant went out of business.

It's a tough economy right now so I was grateful for the experience I got out of the job while it lasted.

Now I'm hoping to find a prep cook position somewhere.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:

It's a tough economy right now so I was grateful for the experience I got out of the job while it lasted.

That is sad to hear, I feel sorry for you. I am totally confident that you will find a new/better job real soon, everything you posted so far was of real high quality and showed your skills. As an idea from an industry insider, post the link to this forum in your resume and/or make HQ prints of your dishes to add them.

The HORECA business in germany is tense as well at the moment, we lost around 5% of all businesses due to foreclosures over the course of the last year...

Machine

I'm a long time fan of this thread and decided to finally contribute. I made chili this afternoon and it's still simmering on the stove. The habaneros add a nice heat to it.
chili1-31-10002.jpg

chili1-31-10003.jpg

chili1-31-10004.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:

Good luck :^(

Machine said:
I'm a long time fan of this thread and decided to finally contribute. I made chili this afternoon and it's still simmering on the stove. The habaneros add a nice heat to it.
chili1-31-10004.jpg
Nice chili! I've never cooked much with habaneros, but always wanted to try it. I made some chili a few days ago and it turned out really good, but my mother and her company demolished it before I could grab any nice shots of it :^/

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Unfortunately search is not working, so I have to ask. Did anyone post a dish that was heavy on okra? I discovered that not too long ago and am in love ever since. :D

Teetris said:
Unfortunately search is not working, so I have to ask. Did anyone post a dish that was heavy on okra? I discovered that not too long ago and am in love ever since. :D
I don't remember seeing one in here, but an okra, sausage, shrimp, and tomato-based sauce is possibly one of the most comforting things in the entire world. If you have some sort of seafood or chick stock, add it to really make your mouth explode with the awesome. It doesnt have to really be a Louisiana based dish, but a bit of that particular culture certainly wont hurt.

Just grab some rice with green onion and you are good to go.

Zyzyxxz

I think its called Horizon Organics, I got it at the Whole Foods chain market which is a major organic food products store in America.

Kangaboo

Neo Member
Hello foodies!

Just stumbled over the thread, am quite excited to take a gander through the whole of it. (once done with my work day of course)

Thought I'd share as well!

Almond stuffed Dates wrapped in Hickory Smoked Bacon

1vpmo.jpg

Figured this would be the best place to ask without making a new topic. I'm starting to cook more and want a knife that's good all around but don't want shit. Should I just buy w/e until I want to buy a nice set or what? I've only just started working so I'm still on a budget that's why I'm not getting a set yet.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
abstract alien said:
I don't remember seeing one in here, but an okra, sausage, shrimp, and tomato-based sauce is possibly one of the most comforting things in the entire world. If you have some sort of seafood or chick stock, add it to really make your mouth explode with the awesome. It doesnt have to really be a Louisiana based dish, but a bit of that particular culture certainly wont hurt.

Just grab some rice with green onion and you are good to go.
Man, reading that alone is making me all mouthwatery, thanks dude! Will try out the Okra Gumbo Lousiana style, I ate the stuff in a similiar thick souplike dish with meat in it which truly is the best way!

Kangaboo

Neo Member
demosthenes said:
Figured this would be the best place to ask without making a new topic. I'm starting to cook more and want a knife that's good all around but don't want shit. Should I just buy w/e until I want to buy a nice set or what? I've only just started working so I'm still on a budget that's why I'm not getting a set yet.

The best sets come from individual pieces.
Unless you're going to bust out and buy an expensive collection of Wustof or Henckels, do not worry about getting the money to buy a set.

I have 4 knives that I use religiously & I can do most anything with them.

I guess first off I would ask where you're located, you might not know it but there could be a kitchen outlet or commercial kitchen supply store around that could have really good product at really fair price.

After that I would say start your set with a chef's knife. I personally use an 8", but that's because I have tiny hands...

A good store will have demo knives and will let you try cutting things up right there.

Get something that feels GOOD in your hand, not because it is cheap.

Also, keep your eyes open for local shops that sharpen knives. It's not very expensive & will help extend the life of it.

Apologies for being over blabby/incoherent, I just woke up.

Kangaboo said:
The best sets come from individual pieces.
Unless you're going to bust out and buy an expensive collection of Wustof or Henckels, do not worry about getting the money to buy a set.

I have 4 knives that I use religiously & I can do most anything with them.

I guess first off I would ask where you're located, you might not know it but there could be a kitchen outlet or commercial kitchen supply store around that could have really good product at really fair price.

After that I would say start your set with a chef's knife. I personally use an 8", but that's because I have tiny hands...

A good store will have demo knives and will let you try cutting things up right there.

Get something that feels GOOD in your hand, not because it is cheap.

Also, keep your eyes open for local shops that sharpen knives. It's not very expensive & will help extend the life of it.

Apologies for being over blabby/incoherent, I just woke up.

Thanks...I have no idea who sells knives really besides department stores or the likes of Target :|

Kangaboo

Neo Member
demosthenes said:
Thanks...I have no idea who sells knives really besides department stores or the likes of Target :|

Hey! No worries, I know that properly outfitting a kitchen can be a major pain in the ass.

I would say first step, grab your local phone book (or just google) and look up kitchen supply stores in your 'hood!

Zyzyxxz

demosthenes said:

Don't bother with sets, as a beginner all you need is a chef's knife. As you become more skilled or want to do more delicate work then you should get a paring knife. Then as you take on more daunting task you may want a boning knife but that is very optional. Other knives like bread knives and nakiri knives (for vegetables) have their uses but they are not as general purpose and I wouldn't put too much money into them. I've been using a Chinese cleaver to mince garlic, cut meat, and chop veges for 10 years now and its worked well for me, so one good knife in capable hands is better than having an expensive set with little experience using them.

if you are really on a budget I read good things about the Victorinox 8" Chef's

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000638D32/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Never had any personal experience with it but most people say its a good value for the money.

Recently I just purchased a Global 8" chef's, coming tomorrow so I will give my impressions on it later.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005OL44/?tag=neogaf0e-20
21-eYHQmjsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

high carbon steel that is harder to sharpen yourself (so better to let a professional do it for you) and the ergonomics are a bit different from normal knives so go to a Bed Bath and Beyond or a Williams-Sonoma store to give it a try.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Chili is such a great winter food. I saw a chili post and got inspired to make some of my own.

Sorry I don't have any shots of the pepper cutting and preparation but here it is in the crock pot where it will simmer and cook for several hours.

This chili has 3lbs of 80/20 ground beef. Red, Green and Yellow bell peppers, red chili peppers, habenaros, kidney beans and stewed baby tomatoes. Oh and onions cant forget the onions. :)

2wn5lco.jpg

ChryZ

That's a good looking chili, RbBrdMan.

You did the whole batch in a crock pot? What's up with the plastic foil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom