• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zyzyxxz said:
I'm pretty busy working in a prep kitchen and food truck now.

Tonight might have something, I'm cooking from the recipe list of the guys I'm working for now.

What kind of food truck?

I really need to get over to the States to try some of the Taco trucks (Kogi BBQ etc)

Flo_Evans

I made a double cheeseburger.

2088uab.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Brianemone said:
What kind of food truck?

I really need to get over to the States to try some of the Taco trucks (Kogi BBQ etc)

specifically the Flying Pig.

Kogi is overrated, they started the fad/trend but many of the newcomers are way better since there are many talented chefs who are dipping their feet into this trend now.

I'll admit Kogi is tasty but very overpriced for something that is so simple such as korean bbq in a taco.

numble

Zyzyxxz said:
yup, I'm working between a prep kitchen and on a food truck which is a new fad here in Southern California. The team members are all fun to work with.
Whatever happened to the Colorado gig? I guess I haven't been paying attention...

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Zyzyxxz said:

Kogi is overrated, they started the fad/trend but many of the newcomers are way better since there are many talented chefs who are dipping their feet into this trend now.

I'll admit Kogi is tasty but very overpriced for something that is so simple such as korean bbq in a taco.

Woah, have you guys been on Wilshire in Miracle Mile lately? I think I've seen your truck around. I've been freelancing over there for a while now, and eat lunch in front of the Variety building most days. Every day there's a parade of food trucks out front...Kogi knockoffs, Vietnamese sandwiches, soul food-Japanese fusion, bbq, cupcakes, grilled cheese, on and on. I'll try to patronize your fine establishment if I see ye.

They can be pretty hit and miss, and several are overpriced for what you get, but I love this trend so far. Two years ago all we had at an old job was an OK taco / sandwich truck. (Though I actually bring my lunch from home most days.)

Zyzyxxz

Len Dontree said:
Woah, have you guys been on Wilshire in Miracle Mile lately? I think I've seen your truck around. I've been freelancing over there for a while now, and eat lunch in front of the Variety building most days. Every day there's a parade of food trucks out front...Kogi knockoffs, Vietnamese sandwiches, soul food-Japanese fusion, bbq, cupcakes, grilled cheese, on and on. I'll try to patronize your fine establishment if I see ye.

They can be pretty hit and miss, and several are overpriced for what you get, but I love this trend so far. Two years ago all we had at an old job was an OK taco / sandwich truck. (Though I actually bring my lunch from home most days.)

Yes we were but I wasn't working that day, I heard business was slow.

our food is a little pricey but it is considered "gourmet" tacos and our chef de cuisine is very creative and talented. I've been cooking from his recipe list and been sampling the truck food and its good. We will probably be there again next week, if you see it and want to try something I would suggest: carne asada taco, taquitos, or a carnitas burritos made with a peanut butter sauce. Lots of Asian fusion going on here but I'll stop before it sounds like I'm trying to promote my work place.

numble said:
Whatever happened to the Colorado gig? I guess I haven't been paying attention...

restaurant went out of business back in January, been back for a month and a half before stumbling on this gig.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Aunt and Uncle opened up an Asian restaurant two weeks ago in Springhouse PA. Food is mostly Japanese and Thai cuisine with a hint of Vietnamese, Chinese and Korean mixed in with various items.

This is called Lad na. It's basically Jumbo rice noodles with brown gravy and Chinese broth to say it simple. There are variations of it throughout the different Asian countries. You typically do not see it in a mom and pop Asian restaurant though. This is the seafood version. You can have chicken, beef or a combination of them all. I made it myself once in this thread a long time ago but mine is nowhere near as good. Everybody in my family are far superior to me when it comes to cooking.

2zem5o1.jpg

Zyzyxxz

I love lard na! Doesn't matter how bad it is, I'll still eat it!

As for me I've sneaked in some cooking in my busy workweek.

This one is kind of cheesy but it was a quick breakfast before work. Basically a bowl of rice with a Japanese-style square omelette and some leftover spicy pork taco meat I made from a work recipe (its confidential unfortunately). Topped off with some hot sauce and cilantro cream sauce made from work recipes too.
4464035998_0bfb725c9b_o.jpg

and just now I have a pork belly and cabbage stew flavored with kimchi, onions, and asian spices.
4463258999_1b935b369a_o.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:

Haven't eaten there before but they were the only one I had heard of by name. I really want to learn a lot more about mexican food because it is so poorly represented here in New Zealand.

I've been working part time at a restaurant at nights while I am in school. The boss has given me permission to take over the restaurant for a night when we would normally be closed and put together a tasting menu for friends and interested persons. I've got most of it sorted in my head but have started to put pen to paper today to get it sorted. I figure I'll do it in a months time.

Zyzyxxz

Brianemone said:
Haven't eaten there before but they were the only one I had heard of by name. I really want to learn a lot more about mexican food because it is so poorly represented here in New Zealand.

I've been working part time at a restaurant at nights while I am in school. The boss has given me permission to take over the restaurant for a night when we would normally be closed and put together a tasting menu for friends and interested persons. I've got most of it sorted in my head but have started to put pen to paper today to get it sorted. I figure I'll do it in a months time.

nice! Please post pics if you can.

bjork

I made a cake today for my friend's birthday (it's tomorrow), and the cake seemed to come out fine. But I can't frost a cake to save my life, nor write with one of those cans of frosting. I'm disappointed in it to the point that I'm thinking about making a second one just to try again. But here's the cake (she's an Alice fan btw, to explain the writing)

0327001120.jpg

How the hell do people get cake frosting all good and smooth? I used a spatula that was pretty flexible thinking it would help, but it didn't. Also, is there any way to write better letters (other than tons and tons of practice)? I had a hard time keeping the lines straight, etc.

bjork said:
How the hell do people get cake frosting all good and smooth? I used a spatula that was pretty flexible thinking it would help, but it didn't. Also, is there any way to write better letters (other than tons and tons of practice)? I had a hard time keeping the lines straight, etc.

Use a warm/wet palette knife for smoothing the icing.

With any piping work you need to pipe from above the cave so that it's falling a bit between the nozzle and the cake. Takes a little getting used to but its far easier from the get go to make straight lines.

Good ole Gyro Pizza night :D

The latest unknown contender for this week was something that isn't even on my big list and thus only got looked up a tad after the fact: Trappe Bricquebec

Overall though, it was just a REALLY soft, easy melting, prone to bubbliness cheese with a good flavor. Not quite as soft as Brie, but definitely not far removed from that ilk. Hit the spot rather nicely tonight and my pinch hitting crackers worked well with it(Damn you Publix for being out of my typical herb ones for the first time ever!)

I've just about got my Gyro rhythm back from the habits I picked up from the Panini stint too---weird how just 5 weeks or so can throw off culinary habits months in the making.

numble

I made Di San Xian and Yu Xiang Qiezi, two Chinese dishes that are hard to translate. I guess Di San Xian is "Three Fresh Things," the major ingredients are Chinese eggplant, potatoes, and bell peppers. Yu Xiang Qiezi could be "Fish Fragrant Eggplant," but the packet of sauce I used to cook it (I cheated) calls it "Spicy Garlic Eggplant." It's typically made with ground pork, but I used strips of chicken instead.

disanxian.jpg

Di San Xian

yuxiangqiezi.jpg

Yu Xiang Qiezi

long time, no post.

made dinner last night for 2 of my good friends who bought me a CREUSET for my birthday!

shaved b. sprouts + walnuts + pecorino and chickpea bruschetta
4468278681_3f886d41b9.jpg

buratta + roasted grape tomatoes - if you've never had buratta, imagine the softest mozzarella with cream on the inside...pretty sexy
4469054590_486da87943.jpg

miso butter corn + bacon
4469054914_8c607b3fc9.jpg

short rib bourguignon + duck fat roasted fingerlings (barely, on the left)
4469055146_c718a3df30.jpg

it was a time and labor intensive process, and since i've been out of the kitchen for awhile, i forgot how much prep work is involved. but i don't know about all of you, but cooking definitely puts me into a zen mode. very relaxing, poured myself some wine, turned on some music, and just let go. =)

everything was tasty.

Zyzyxxz

smirkrevenge said:
long time, no post.

made dinner last night for 2 of my good friends who bought me a CREUSET for my birthday!

everything was tasty.

Wow amazing pictures! Did you use the Momofuku recipe for the miso butter and corn? I gotta say that combination is something that is so simple yet so mind blowingly good.

Great stuff, too bad I'm working too much right now to do that much cooking.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So I ordered my first Weber today, a Compact Kettle 47cm, BBQ season will begin Easter Saturday with a few Beef tenderloins...

Great cooking, everybody!

bjork, there are like 1,000,000 ways to misinterpret that icing, even if she's an alice fan:lol

onkel: congrats on the weber. i plan to get one for the summer as well...for some rooftop grilling.

zyzyxxz: indeed, i used the chang recipe. i've never had it in his restaurant, but picked up a jar of the miso butter at milk bar to save time. ended up using more than i thought cos the flavors didn't shine through enough =P

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
You wouldn't happen to know a good recipe for the sauce, would you?

I assume they use a Cantonese mother sauce of soy sauce + hoisin + oyster sauce + water + corn starch.

Then they probably add chili oil for that nice red glow and maybe some sichuan peppercorns, that is my best guess.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ugh this thread.

On diet so had eggs + swedish meatballs for breakfast. Delicious though.

Dinners mostly been chicken breast + frozen steamed veggie bags

Snacks are nuts and jerky.
Started up on milk too.

Anyone have experience with the 10 inch Global Chef's knife and the 10 inch Shun Ken Onion Chef's knife?

Several weeks into my Culinary class now and I've gotten used cutting properly with a knife but I'm not really liking the weight of the knife during extended use/cutting I'm using now(Mercer Genesis 10 inch). The Ken Onion's ergonomic design is supposed to be help diminish hand fatigue but I've also read that the low eight of the global is also great. Will either of them stand up to professional kitchen use/abuse?

They're about the same price and I've got the money saved to get one of two but I just as many opinions/reviews as possible.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
ExtraKr1spy said:
Anyone have experience with the 10 inch Global Chef's knife and the 10 inch Shun Ken Onion Chef's knife?

Several weeks into my Culinary class now and I've gotten used cutting properly with a knife but I'm not really liking the weight of the knife during extended use/cutting I'm using now(Mercer Genesis 10 inch). The Ken Onion's ergonomic design is supposed to be help diminish hand fatigue but I've also read that the low eight of the global is also great. Will either of them stand up to professional kitchen use/abuse?

They're about the same price and I've got the money saved to get one of two but I just as many opinions/reviews as possible.

Wustof. It's the only name in chef's knives that you need to know. I've had mine for 10 years now. It's still perfect...and I've been unnecessarily rough on mine.

Zyzyxxz

ExtraKr1spy said:

Are you attending Cordon Bleu? The cooks I work with all graduated from that program and they have Mercer knives, they are pretty heavy and they get very tiring to use.

I know since I was using one to trim the fat off of a pork shoulder for almost two hours straight for work. My hand was aching after using it since it stayed in the same posture for so long while holding a heavy knife.

I have a Global 8-inch Chef's Knife and a 3-inch Paring and I can vouch that it is very light, cuts very well and stays sharp! Perfectly balanced and easy to control despite its weightlessness. I have never used a Shun so I can't give you a comparison but I know that I am very happy with my Global knives.

Zyzyxxz said:
Are you attending Cordon Bleu? The cooks I work with all graduated from that program and they have Mercer knives, they are pretty heavy and they get very tiring to use.

I know since I was using one to trim the fat off of a pork shoulder for almost two hours straight for work. My hand was aching after using it since it stayed in the same posture for so long while holding a heavy knife.

I have a Global 8-inch Chef's Knife and a 3-inch Paring and I can vouch that it is very light, cuts very well and stays sharp! Perfectly balanced and easy to control despite its weightlessness. I have never used a Shun so I can't give you a comparison but I know that I am very happy with my Global knives.

Not attending Cordon Blue. Going through the Culinary Arts program at a community college and plan on working for a year or two after I get my AA before I enroll in a more well known Culinary School. San Diego Culinary Institute seems to be a good school with great job placement/externships for its students.

Hey culinary GAF, I have a question:

In pursuit of colourful and delicious-looking spring desserts, I am thinking of making a mango flan.

My question is, what flavours will suitably go with mango that can top a flan?

I am looking for a liquid (a la carmelized sugar that lands atop the flan), and a crunchy bit (like a nut, for texture and garnish).

Any suggestions? Words of advice?

I've made chocolate, coffee, and a carmel flan, but I've never really attempted a fruit flan before.

Ballistik

numble said:
I made Di San Xian and Yu Xiang Qiezi, two Chinese dishes that are hard to translate. I guess Di San Xian is "Three Fresh Things," the major ingredients are Chinese eggplant, potatoes, and bell peppers. Yu Xiang Qiezi could be "Fish Fragrant Eggplant," but the packet of sauce I used to cook it (I cheated) calls it "Spicy Garlic Eggplant." It's typically made with ground pork, but I used strips of chicken instead.

Those 2 plates look soooo good. Now I'm craving food! :D

Axion22

I bought a 12-inch Calphalon skillet this weekend and some cheap Paula Dean-branded knives from Wal-mart, but I didn't think to get a knife block. :\

Tonight I made Sweet, Sticky, & Spicy Chicken.

1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger root
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

The comments on the page had a bunch of people dredging the chicken pieces in flour, so I did that instead of salting/peppering, because the first time I made this, the sauce never thickened and the chicken didn't brown so well.
Also last time, I used Sriracha and it was too spicy for my gf, so I had her pick a hot sauce, and she chose Frank's Red Hot Sauce (Original).
I used 6 chicken breast halves, but didn't increase the sauce amount in any way. It worked out fine.

1. Mix together brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and hot sauce in a small bowl.
2. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken strips. Dredge the chicken pieces in flour.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken strips and brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Simmer uncovered until the sauce thickens, 8 to 10 minutes.

2vm5x80.jpg

Here's the chicken and my beautiful new skillet.

It says medium heat, but raise that up to med-high. It still took about 12 minutes.

Here's the final product, served over white rice and frozen veggie mix, lightly buttered.
17e64i.jpg

I must say, the Frank's version came out better than the Sriracha version and everything worked better having floured the chicken. This is now a regular on my menu.

Need some advice/help cooking GAF..

I'm wanting to make homemade soup. I've made it before, but I wanted to add rice to it. Do I need to prepare the rice separate from the soup, then combine them after they are both done, or can I cook them together in the same pot? If I'd have to guess, it's cook them separate, then add them together after they are done.

Also, since I'm only wanting to use 1/2 the bag of rice, I was wondering if anyone has a gravy recipe in order to make a rice 'n gravy side dish?

Axion22

Zyzyxxz said:
Ok I really felt like having tonkatsu today (a Japanese style breaded pork chop, deep fried) but my problem: Everyone sucks at making it in this town, including Japanese people. They either over fry it or use a flavorless cut of pork.

Then bread and fry - this time I attempted a new breading technique where you flour it, then dip it into an egg mixture of flour, egg yolk, a little water, and beaten egg whites (when they hit the whipped cream stage) and then hit it with the traditional panko bread crumbs. Get oil to 320 F and fry it slowly to get a nice light gold color.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4427316679_6393f73720_o.jpg

Dry it, let it cool a little, and slice it
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4428080868_f25d14153f_o.jpg

Then in a pan pour in a mixture of dashi stock (or low sodium chicken/vegetable stock if you must), a tidbit of light soy sauce for color and taste. Lay the tonkatsu over it, and pour over 1 beaten egg.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4428081094_eebc22371e_o.jpg

I bought panko at the grocery store today with this recipe in mind.
Do you have any measurements for the breading technique and the dashi stock mixture? I'm probably going to use chicken stock because that's what I have left over from something else.
Recommended pork cuts? I've never cooked pork before :eek:!
Also don't have a cast iron pan, I don't think. Am I going to need that to get the oil to 320F? Sounds like I'm gonna need a candy thermometer, too.

numble

Axion22 said:
Do you have any measurements for the breading technique and the dashi stock mixture? I'm probably going to use chicken stock because that's what I have left over from something else.
Also don't have a cast iron pan, I don't think. Am I going to need that to get the oil to 320F? Sounds like I'm gonna need a candy thermometer, too.
He links to a video later that you can watch to eyeball those measurements. Not sure if a cast iron pan is necessary (I used one). In other videos/recipes, they say that you can tell the temperature is just right when you drop in a bit of panko and it starts sizzling/frying, and that was the technique I used, without a thermometer. The breading tasted great, but I have no frame of reference for the other methods.

Oh, and a lesson I learned--don't go crazy with prepping out the flour and panko, I put too much out, and ended up making cleanup a mess and wasting a lot of good flour and panko.

Edit:
Here is the video he linked to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFC9Q2wtUyk

Aurelius

numble said:
He links to a video later that you can watch to eyeball those measurements. Not sure if a cast iron pan is necessary (I used one). In other videos/recipes, they say that you can tell the temperature is just right when you drop in a bit of panko and it starts sizzling/frying, and that was the technique I used, without a thermometer. The breading tasted great, but I have no frame of reference for the other methods.

Oh, and a lesson I learned--don't go crazy with prepping out the flour and panko, I put too much out, and ended up making cleanup a mess and wasting a lot of good flour and panko.

Edit:
Here is the video he linked to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFC9Q2wtUyk
Thanks for the link. I missed the video earlier.

I tried the recipe for Tonkatsu this weekend, and while it tasted okay there was room for improvement. I think it went wrong when I used too much stock. De egg got a bit watery and tasteless as a result. Maybee the video can give me some pointers.

A good way to flour the meat is to put a little but of flour in a plastic bag and then put the meat in with it. Just toss it around a bit and you have an evenly floured piece of meat with no mess. After breading the meat with panko I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes. That way it gets a lot crispier. I also used rice oil since that gets hotter then olive or vegetable oil. Just fry it 2-3 minutes on each side.

A good supplement to put on top of the meat is Tonkatsu sauce (1 part worcestershire sause, 1 part sugar, 1 part soy sause, 1 part ketchup and 1/4 part sharp mustard)

Zyzyxxz

Axion22 said:

just mix the chicken stock with the beaten egg before hand, I usually do a few tablspoons per egg, it depends on how much egg taste you want. Also dashi stock has a unique taste so if possible try buying some instant dashi mix otherwise chicken stock will be fine.

Last time I made this I used kurobuta pork chops, an expensive breed of pig but the marbling is unmatched when compared to normal pork. I've had good success with pork loin before though. Try bringing the meat beforehand and tenderize it too.

way more

bjork said:
0327001120.jpg

Your cake looks good enough. As the baker in the last place explained to me, "you only have one shot to make it flat and you can't hesitate. After that first pass no amount of touching up will do."

So it's just one of those annoying things you have to nail down and re-learn all the time

WanderingWind said:
Wustof. It's the only name in chef's knives that you need to know. I've had mine for 10 years now. It's still perfect...and I've been unnecessarily rough on mine.

This isn't the 70's anymore. We're not all doing coke off the cutting boards. Get with the times grandpa and get something from the Japanese. Also, bolsters suck.

Dartastic

So I've been messing around with various stuff to try and make some sort of phad se ew type thing. While it's never been bad, it's never been that great. I'm assuming it's because I've put a little bit of oyster sauce and fish sauce in addition to the soy sauce. Probably more the oyster sauce more than anything. Does anyone have any real good tips for that? Also when it comes to spice, what is used to kick up thai food? I'm real new to this oriental type cooking, and I'm trying to learn as much as a I can.

apple pie attempts before my exam on thursday.

today's attempt
vpc390.jpg

this one got busted on transport (friday's attempt)
2a9tmbq.jpg

dinner (egg, onion, mushrooms, cheddar + beef burger)
2zp5tdz.jpg

Zyzyxxz

probably making some beef curry tonight.

Also saw this beautiful piece of fish at my local Japanese market.

Never have I had the privilege of buying chu-toro (Tuna middle belly meat).

$60/lb (or 97.91 Euro/kg for you Euro-GAFers). Might as well try some luxury sometime as small a piece as it is.

I'll try to get pics of it prepared later on

4477207273_b642ac0c24_o.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Made a root vegetable gratin for dinner tonight. Layered yam, parsnip, carrot, turnip, and white onion with some thyme, rosemary, crushed garlic, cream and stock, and finished under the broiler with a cornmeal, oat and parmesan crust. Garnished with some extra thyme, parmesan and thin strips of raw red onion.

4478111650_5450831b69_o.jpg

Zyzyxxz

mmm sliced chu toro... unfortunately I messed up two of the pieces since it was either slice them very thin or keep it one big fat piece. Was it worth it for the price? As a starter, hell yes. The intense tuna flavor sticks to your mouth and doesn't let you forget it and this is tuna in a very pure form so the flavor is very identifiable and distinct. Yes it looks like red meat.

4478265760_11128b77c3_o.jpg

Now more Japanese curry from me (I'm experimenting with new roux and new techniques to hopefully create what I envision to be the perfect curry).

45 minute caramelized onions, nice golden color

4478266388_2c90701ae0_o.jpg

Mix with flour, curry powder, little ketchup and soy sauce, and chile powder to form the roux.
4478265958_f62a51efde_o.jpg

After browning the beef I braised it in some homemade chicken stock to get it tender.
4478266262_2d1d6d2bd2_o.jpg

Final result
4477641855_2ded6b73b6_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom