• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natetan

Cosmic Bus said:
Made a root vegetable gratin for dinner tonight. Layered yam, parsnip, carrot, turnip, and white onion with some thyme, rosemary, crushed garlic, cream and stock, and finished under the broiler with a cornmeal, oat and parmesan crust. Garnished with some extra thyme, parmesan and thin strips of raw red onion.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4478111650_5450831b69_o.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

that looks good!

numble

Zyzyxxz said:
mmm sliced chu toro... unfortunately I messed up two of the pieces since it was either slice them very thin or keep it one big fat piece. Was it worth it for the price? As a starter, hell yes. The intense tuna flavor sticks to your mouth and doesn't let you forget it and this is tuna in a very pure form so the flavor is very identifiable and distinct. Yes it looks like red meat.
Your photos are very nice--what kind of lens do you use?

ChryZ

numble said:
Your photos are very nice--what kind of lens do you use?
The EXIF data says 50mm f/1.8, good stuff. I'd guess Nikkor.

Zyzyxxz, why the high ISO setting with such a fast lens?

Regardless, nice food and pics as always.

Zyzyxxz

ChryZ said:
The EXIF data says 50mm f/1.8, good stuff. I'd guess Nikkor.

Zyzyxxz, why the high ISO setting with such a fast lens?

Regardless, nice food and pics as always.

yup Nikkor 50mm F1.8.

I always like to stop it down and my home lighting is not always that great. I'm using a D90 and I've been messing with shooting at higher ISO and I'm not seeing too much negative side effects. I normally shoot at 800 but I took several shots and the ones at 1000 seemed fine.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I made garlic mashed potatoes with butter, boiled sparragus with olive oil and chicken breast with bbq sauce on it. Total time to make dinner for two: 25 minutes.

4479326514_d1b23b8193.jpg

The beer took longer to drink. Didn't like that dogfish head much at all...

Zyzyxxz, your food looks amazing as usual, even something as simple as a Japanese curry. Do you have any pics of the chutoro that shows the size? I'm not sure what .14 lbs looks like, but I imagine it looks larger in the pics than it really was.

otake said:

Is that one of their IPA? I've never tried that brewery but their product line sounds interesting. Like the Ben and Jerry's of beer.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
parrotbeak said:
Zyzyxxz, your food looks amazing as usual, even something as simple as a Japanese curry. Do you have any pics of the chutoro that shows the size? I'm not sure what .14 lbs looks like, but I imagine it looks larger in the pics than it really was.

Is that one of their IPA? I've never tried that brewery but their product line sounds interesting. Like the Ben and Jerry's of beer.

Yes. That was their 90 minute IPA. It's supposed to be great. It was ok. I prefer German beers, really. I'm a fan of Becks, Corona and Yoenling.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
No photos but I just grilled a talapia.. coated it in cumin and cayane grilled for about 8 minutes then topped it with some diced mango and cilantro.

pretty pleased with the results

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
Has anyone made gyudon before? What type of beef should one buy for it?

preferably sliced wagyu! That's what I used before.

Any type of sukiyaki style sliced beef will do, the key is to do almost no cooking to it since it has lots of flavor but goes away fast if you overcook it which is easy since its so thin.

I would just sear it one side for 2 seconds then put it on top of your rice, cover, and let the residual heat from the rice do the rest.

parrotbeak said:

It was twice as tall as an altoid box but slightly smaller in terms of width and depth

Flo_Evans

Borrowed my sisters kitchenaid mixer and baked some easter cookies!

mvrsyd.jpg

Can't imagine making dough and icing without one! I really need to get a mixer.

Zyzyxxz

Flo_Evans said:
Borrowed my sisters kitchenaid mixer and baked some easter cookies!

http://i44.tinypic.com/mvrsyd.jpg[IMG]

Can't imagine making dough and icing without one! I really need to get a mixer.[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting one forever, its an essential baking tool.

GiJoccin

Random question... Does anyone here like using lemon pepper? Every recipe I have tried that used that ended up tasting... like lemon pepper... which to me is BLECH taste. I now avoid all recipes that call for that, or find substitutions. The same goes for paprika. Am I just not using good quality spices or does anyone else find those tastes not appealing?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
beelzebozo said:
baked this kwanzaa cake today, hope you guys like it

[IMGhttp://www.encyclopediaofstupid.com/stupid/images/6/61/Kwanzaacake.jpg[/IMG]

Cake is a lie...
Stock April fools photo
lol

Tuscan Chicken (I'm really starting to like Panko)
286xvzk.jpg

Axion22

otake said:
I made garlic mashed potatoes with butter, boiled sparragus with olive oil and chicken breast with bbq sauce on it. Total time to make dinner for two: 25 minutes.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4479326514_d1b23b8193.jpg

Wut up with them mashed potatoes? How'd you do 'em?

I made broccoli off the page last night as a side to my macaroni and cheese, wanted to try something other than boiling. I need a steamer!

214v4h3.jpg

Sauteed in 1 Tbsp olive oil and with 2 cloves of garlic minced and some red pepper flakes.
Notes for next time: cut broccolis smaller, use more oil, less red pepper flakes, I went a little crazy.

DietRob

numble said:
Looks nice--how is this made?

Stock Tuscan Spice Mix:
1/4 cup dried rosemary or fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried sage
2 tablespoons dried garlic flakes
1/4 cup kosher salt or sea salt
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper

Mix all that stuff with the bag of Panko.

Dip the chicken breasts in egg. Throw it into bag, shake it, drizzle olive oil over top, set in oven on 350 for about 20 - 25. The panko breadcrumbs are really crunchy and it gives the food a nice combo of textures.

Zyzyxxz

Bought a sample of veal sweatbread (the thryoid gland, I dont know why its called sweet and bread) today and they are soaking in milk overnight in the fridge.

Hopefully I'll remember to panfry them tomorrow.

Don't be grossed out guys, offal cuts are great and I'm a strong believer and the philosophy of "whole animal", gotta use every part of that animal.

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:
Picked up all my supplies for school today:

I love how my bag of tools makes me feel like an assassin. :lol

I didnt know you were going to culinary school. Which one are you attending?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm actually enrolled in a baking and pastry program at the Art Institute here in Seattle, but there are some culinary and management classes later on, so they really loaded me up with a variety of supplies.

DietRob

Axion22 said:
Knocked this out last night, kinda similar:
Cheddar Baked Chicken
http://i39.tinypic.com/200w5n7.jpg/IMG]

That recipe calls for Rice Krispies, which I used, but next time, I'm trying panko.[/QUOTE]

Cheddar Baked Chicken MMMMMMMM

I love cheddar I love chicken. Sounds like a great combo. I'm confused about the rice crispies though. It seems like that would give it a sweet type of flavor. Maybe I'm not remembering rice crispies correctly but I though they were just a tad bit sweet. I would certainly give this another shot with Panko.

I'm having a grill out for Easter Sunday. I will try and remember to take some pics. Thanks for the post on the Cheddar Chicken I'm certainly going to give that a shot soon.

I've been stalking this thread for ages...
after all the tonkatsu posts...I couldn't take it...with me missing Tokyo...

went to the market the other day and got Panko bread crumbs and bull dog tonkatsu sauce...will be making it Sat and post pics...

never made it...will using olive oil be ok for frying or is there a better recommendation?
I have had culinary training, but never in Japanese cuisine...

Zyzyxxz

Litflynt912 said:

went to the market the other day and got Panko bread crumbs and bull dog tonkatsu sauce...will be making it Sat and post pics...

never made it...will using olive oil be ok for frying or is there a better recommendation?

olive oil burns and I would not recommend it for deep frying.

Stick to canola/corn/any nut/ oil.

Get the oil to 360 F and reduce heat and when you put in your breaded pork allow it to get as low as 320 and try to maintain that temperature, what you want is slowly fried so the outside gets a nice gold and not a dark brown.

CrankyJay

Banned
Litflynt912 said:

As long as it's regular olive oil and not extra virgin. I really recommend peanut oil for its high smoke point.

edit: That is, if you're pan frying/sauteeing. As noted above, I would not recommend olive oil for deep frying.

CrankyJay said:
As long as it's regular olive oil and not extra virgin. I really recommend peanut oil for its high smoke point.

edit: That is, if you're pan frying/sauteeing. As noted above, I would not recommend olive oil for deep frying.

yea I was under the impression peanut oil would be ideal...

thanks!

Zyzyxxz

CrankyJay said:

That's right regular olive oil may work but it may impart a flavor you may not want in the tonkatsu.

Also I find it hard to find regular olive oil, now that America is on a "EVOO" craze.

numble

Zyzyxxz said:
olive oil burns and I would not recommend it for deep frying.

Stick to canola/corn/any nut/ oil.

Get the oil to 360 F and reduce heat and when you put in your breaded pork allow it to get as low as 320 and try to maintain that temperature, what you want is slowly fried so the outside gets a nice gold and not a dark brown.
Do you use a specific thermometer?

CrankyJay

Banned
There's actually a neat article about fats/oils in the April 2010 issue of Men's Health magazine. You can read it online here: http://www.menshealth.com/men/nutri.../article/85fe9597c4737210vgnvcm10000030281eac

There's a table on page 97 that recommends when to use certain oils/fats. Here's a brief transcription:

Canola - This should be your go-to option for everyday cooking. Canola can withstand relatively high-heat, and its neutral flavor won't dominate a recipe.

Olive - Extra-virgin has a robust flavor and should be saved to dress salads, vegetables, and cooked dishes. For cooking, regular or light olive oil is fine.

Butter - It' s a logical choice for baked goods and adds a rich note to sautes and sauces.

Peanut - Because of its high smoke point, peanut oil should be your choice for wok cooking, stir-frying, and pan-searing meat or fish.

Sesame - Use the dark variety, made from toasted sesame seeds, as a condiment over Asian noodle dishes. Save the light variety for high-heat cooking.

Vegetable - Leave it on the store shelf. Sure, it's cheap, but you're better off with canola oil. (*noted elsewhere in the article that vegetable oil has high levels of omega-6's)

Margarine - Never use margerine that contains trans fat. Butter is better, or find a healthier version, like Smart Balance Buttery Spread with Flax Oil.

Axion22

RbBrdMan said:
Cheddar Baked Chicken MMMMMMMM

I love cheddar I love chicken. Sounds like a great combo. I'm confused about the rice crispies though. It seems like that would give it a sweet type of flavor. Maybe I'm not remembering rice crispies correctly but I though they were just a tad bit sweet. I would certainly give this another shot with Panko.

I was kinda worried about that, too, but they aren't frosted, it's just puffed rice. The herbs from the Italian bread crumbs are more powerful than the rice, too. I think panko would do just fine, plus.. it might even be less expensive.

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
Do you use a specific thermometer?

I use one of those slow ass digital thermometers.

I'm planning on getting an instant read one later so I can react to temperature changes faster.

CrankyJay

Banned
Braising attempt #2.

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys-neelys/neelys-short-ribs-recipe/index.html

#1 actually turned out better. The recipe calls for 6 pounds of beef short ribs, but this time I only bought two pounds, so I thought I would also cut down on the liquids.

I recommend not doing this. The liquid will reduce by at least half. In the picture it looks burnt, but the dish was salvaged. I'd say it was borderline, but it was still very delicious.

BTW, I have a shitty Casio Exilim and crappy lighting. I humbly apologize for the pictures:

Browned the meat...
4484630407_550a89aed7.jpg

Softened the mirepoix...
4484629445_5d693a2e5f.jpg

Added cabernet and chicken stock
4485281736_34c5ffd85b.jpg

And after 3 hours in the oven...
4485283474_e8ebc1922f.jpg

Final product, served over steamed rice...
4485284324_e5f2c6a234.jpg

Was delicious. It will definitely stay in my collection. It is excellent as leftovers as well.

Silkworm

Zyzyxxz said:
I use one of those slow ass digital thermometers.

I'm planning on getting an instant read one later so I can react to temperature changes faster.
For what it's worth, I have a CDN ProAccurate Quick-Read Thermometer which works fairly well (though maybe this is what you consider a "slow ass digital thermometer" ;-). It's about $17. I also see Cooks Illustrated recently co-recommended for digital thermometers below $100 the ThermoWorks Super-Fast Waterproof Pocket Thermometer which runs about $24. I would love to have a Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen but I can't quite justify the $96 price tag. I'm pretty happy with the CDN thermometer though it's probably a tad slower than the Thermapen, and it's design isn't quite as slick & useful as the Thermapen, but I think for $17 it's a nice alternative :)

A day early on account of getting to head off with the guys tomorrow, here's to another Gyro Pizza night!

This time, and the last of my Farmer's Market haul for the next few weeks, Raclette

This is generally just an all-star cheese. Good grip, fast melt, no mess, soft and smooth. Nothing especially nifty so as to where I could ID it at a glance or taste test like some others, but just damn good all around.

Upon getting a chance to finally explore a local Kroger, somehow, I was able to find a couple varieties that should prove interesting that the Farmer's Market either didn't have or got lost in a pile somewhere. One if which will take some figuring as it is some weird fusion thing of several different cheeses---all of which unknown to me.

Upon a lark with the grated Romano our of the freezer tonight: What, if any, experience can people relate in terms of "balling" cheese? In the case tonight, it pretty well staying in place and retained most of the shape while winding up a rather nice looking Golden Brown color that I wasn't even specifically angling for and a bit different taste somehow than the usual dusting---obviously with the texture being different as well. I've reckoned a few different ways I could go about experimenting with it...but will probably wait until I'm stuck with some already known shredded variety or some such before doing anything especially weird....

Zyzyxxz

Alright finally had a chance to prepare veal sweetbread (thymus gland)

There are a few steps involved: soaking in milk, poaching, removing membrane, then bread and fry. The picture below is what they look like after they have been prepped and before I bread them for frying.

4484769909_1ee519288c_o.jpg

4485420448_a6d98e387c_o.jpg

Overall an interesting ingredient to work with and not sure if it was worth the trouble. The sweetbread came out very tender and creamy but overall it had a very mild taste, one that is easily overpowered by my use of salt. I don't believe I will be seeing myself using this again anytime too soon.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great sweetbread prep, Zyzyxxz! It's really an acquired taste, most people like it better when they don't know what it actually is:lol .

I declare WAR on raw meat for the 2010 BBQ season:
IMG_0265_DxO_raw800x600.jpg

God...whenever I see all you Chef GAFFERS post your recipies, I get so inspired to do my own. Maybe I will sometime in the future.

Thank you for this thread Onkel. :D

.la1n

otake said:
Yes. That was their 90 minute IPA. It's supposed to be great. It was ok. I prefer German beers, really. I'm a fan of Becks, Corona and Yoenling.

Dogfish Head gets a lot of praise but I'm not a huge fan either really. Ever had Modelo Especial you would probably enjoy that. I do like IPAs however, Stone tends to make the best imo. Allagash has some good brews as well...alas i'm rambling in a non beer thread.

OnkelC said:
I declare WAR on raw meat for the 2010 BBQ season:

That's a classy shot Onkel. Love a good balcony BBQ, used to do them all the time in Italy.

Update on my restaurant takeover. Date has been set, 25th of April. Have started tinkering with recipes and putting together my mise en place list. Have 12 people booked in so far. Was going to limit it to 20 but I might have to move it up to 25. Will post up some pics when I get some finished components ready.

Also, nice lookin brains Zyzyxxz

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Some stuff I've made or had recently. Besides the burger, everything else was from my Uncle's restaurant.

The burger is something I've made. I grilled it and sauteed the fried onions with mushrooms, melted cheese and bacon. The steak sauce is some Asian brand I jacked from my uncle.
ae4qk4.jpg

The next dish is pho. It's pretty standard as far as pho goes. The drink is taro. Really good stuff.
2cooej7.jpg

Next two up are the beef and chicken versions of the lad na I posted previously. I prefer the seafood version now that I've had them all. Still good though.
I had the chicken version with whatever sushi my uncle hooked me up with.
34nm7a8.jpg

zohzt1.jpg

The last item is the what my Uncle named his restaurant after. It's basically tempura shrimp, crab stick toppled with lobster salad. At $15 for 8 pieces, it may be too much for certain people but it's good eatin.
2h3neq0.jpg

Kadey said:
Some stuff I've made or had recently. Besides the burger, everything else was from my Uncle's restaurant.

The burger is something I've made. I grilled it and sauteed the fried onions with mushrooms, melted cheese and bacon. The steak sauce is some Asian brand I jacked from my uncle.
ae4qk4.jpg

2h3neq0.jpg
*homersimpsondrooling*

Those look glorious.

fireside

Making some tonkatsu tonight. Can't afford kurobuta like Zyzyxxz so my cheap loin gets Jaccard'd

16iy4ow.jpg

and takes a soak in a brine.

11wg5rd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom