• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
HappyBivouac said:
Alright IronGAF, I have to know.

What does it take to make the leap from being someone who can cook something acceptable, to someone who is GOOD at cooking, and can genuinely impress him/herself and other people? I think there are some key fundamentals and techniques that we skip over when learning how to just be an acceptable cook. What are they?

Any good tips, thoughts, books, resources, tools for someone who has a budding interest in cooking as a hobby?
On top of what others so thoughtfully have said, I'd add restraint.

Knowing when to leave something alone is something many people don't get. Be it not confusing a dish with too many or too much seasoning/spices (nothing against bold flavors at ALL, but let ingredients sing, too), ornletting meat rest properly, or trusting that despite the hissing leaving something in a hot pan will end up with a proper sear, and will not burn. And also knowing when things burn. ;)

The basics, and understanding flavor profiles, and organization will take any cook very far, I'd say.

SnakeXs said:
On top of what others so thoughtfully have said, I'd add restraint.

Knowing when to leave something alone is something many people don't get. Be it not confusing a dish with too many or too much seasoning/spices (nothing against bold flavors at ALL, but let ingredients sing, too), ornletting meat rest properly, or trusting that despite the hissing leaving something in a hot pan will end up with a proper sear, and will not burn. And also knowing when things burn. ;)

The basics, and understanding flavor profiles, and organization will take any cook very far, I'd say.

Totally agree, this is basically my biggest problem right now, i'm an ok cook but i just don't know when to leave the food alone. I either over or under cook/season to a point where its eatable but its not great. Its tough right now, but practice makes perfect.

Besides the recommended books, are there any introductory books geared toward a less European cuisine and more African/International cuisine?

Cosmic Bus said:
It's a four layer chocolate-hazelnut Sacher torte with alternating apricot and chocolate ganche, and a dark chocolate glaze. We have to bring our finished items home (there isn't room to store them at the school), so I cut a small slice for myself tonight and tossed the rest in the trash. Sad, but I can't have entire cakes sitting around my apartment three times a week.

Oh wow, I really wish I knew you irl just so I could grab a piece of that. Sounds absolutely amazing.

rykomatsu

Zyzyxxz said:
I thought Cost Plus World Market was a "high" end shop. This is good to know since I am running low on black peppercorns for my pepper mill

It can be depending on what you buy, but generally they seem to have relatively nice items for low prices.

Ramekins for $1~$3ea.
Dutch ovens for $20~$30
Pizza stone for $10
etc

Tableware equally as cheap. They aren't Lenox, but if I need something simple, cheap, yet presentable, it's the first place I go to for kitchen/dining items.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
AqueousTransmission said:
Oh wow, I really wish I knew you irl just so I could grab a piece of that. Sounds absolutely amazing.

The sliver of it I had to eat last night was divine and practically lethal. Without exaggeration, the finished cake itself weighed over five pounds.

My favorite thing we've made so far was one of the lightest and easiest: an orange-glazed chiffon cake that was impossibly fluffy and moist, and exploded with citrus flavor.

rykomatsu said:
Cost Plus World Market in the US has spices for extremely low prices compared to your big-chain grocery store.

Huh! There's one of these places right near my school; I always thought it was more like a Crate and Barrel-type of store, mostly furnishings and decorative items, but I'll absolutely be stopping in sometime now.

Zyzyxxz

rykomatsu said:
It can be depending on what you buy, but generally they seem to have relatively nice items for low prices.

Ramekins for $1~$3ea.
Dutch ovens for $20~$30
Pizza stone for $10
etc

Tableware equally as cheap. They aren't Lenox, but if I need something simple, cheap, yet presentable, it's the first place I go to for kitchen/dining items.

You had me at Ramekins.
sq4juc.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
fried chicken i made last night for LOST viewing at friend's house taught me an important lesson:

rice flour is fried chicken's best bud.

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:
fried chicken i made last night for LOST viewing at friend's house taught me an important lesson:

rice flour is fried chicken's best bud.

no pics?!

I've never used rice flour before, is it the same thing as rice starch?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zyzyxxz said:
no pics?!

I've never used rice flour before, is it the same thing as rice starch?

sadly, i've gotten very bad about taking pictures of my food. i cook nearly every night, but the occasion to actually photograph stuff just doesn't happen much; i always have a hungry family or group of friends ready to dig in, and it seems almost vain to ask everyone to step back so i can take a photo. and i'm usually tired, because i get off work, come home, cook, and just want to eat and then rest. i'll try and do better.

as to your question, no, i don't think rice flour is the same thing as rice starch. rice flour is just finely milled rice, and is often used in asian cooking. rice starch. . . well, i found a page that described it as ground rice that goes through a soak in lye and lots of other interesting and somewhat scary sounding (but largely harmless i imagine) stuff.

here's rice flour, from wiki:

800px-Mochiko.jpg

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:
sadly, i've gotten very bad about taking pictures of my food. i cook nearly every night, but the occasion to actually photograph stuff just doesn't happen much; i always have a hungry family or group of friends ready to dig in, and it seems almost vain to ask everyone to step back so i can take a photo. and i'm usually tired, because i get off work, come home, cook, and just want to eat and then rest. i'll try and do better.

as to your question, no, i don't think rice flour is the same thing as rice starch. rice flour is just finely milled rice, and is often used in asian cooking. rice starch. . . well, i found a page that described it as ground rice that goes through a soak in lye and lots of other interesting and somewhat scary sounding (but largely harmless i imagine) stuff.

Hah, that alright I can understand from where you are coming from.

I either prep ingredients or cook at work and then come home and prepare dinner for my household. It does get tiring but for me I'm trying to make a career out of this so every chance I cook is a chance to improve myself though that means I also miss out on taking alot of pics.

Either way I'm very interested in using rice flour when I fry my fried chicken next time. Although I've sworn to using the Momofuku technique of steaming, refrigerating, and then frying it I hope it will produce a nice crust.

UrokeJoe

beelzebozo said:

800px-Mochiko.jpg

I've seen that at my store. Attainable yay! I will try it as a substitution to regular flour next time I fry chicken.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zyzyxxz said:
Hah, that alright I can understand from where you are coming from.

I either prep ingredients or cook at work and then come home and prepare dinner for my household. It does get tiring but for me I'm trying to make a career out of this so every chance I cook is a chance to improve myself though that means I also miss out on taking alot of pics.

Either way I'm very interested in using rice flour when I fry my fried chicken next time. Although I've sworn to using the Momofuku technique of steaming, refrigerating, and then frying it I hope it will produce a nice crust.

i brined my chicken overnight in salt water laced with brown sugar, molasses, smashed garlic cloves, and fresh thyme. the next day, i drained it and wrapped it in a kitchen towel to wick away moisture for an hour or so. i then set it in front of a fan to dry it for a couple of hours, turning it halfway through. i then dipped it in buttermilk, seasoned rice flour (i use salt, pepper, and 7 or 8 of my favorite poultry seasonings, like thyme, marjoram, cayenne, oregano, garlic powder, etc.), back in the buttermilk, back in the flour, and onto a cooling rack for five minutes to set. then, in the oil as normal.

and if you want crispy, crunchy crust, the rice flour is UNREAL.

rykomatsu

Cosmic Bus said:
Huh! There's one of these places right near my school; I always thought it was more like a Crate and Barrel-type of store, mostly furnishings and decorative items, but I'll absolutely be stopping in sometime now.

Saffron, tarragon, vanilla beans (2 pods), cloves, ceylon cinnamon, and 2 square serving bowls for $20 :D

Zyzyxxz

LRB1983 said:
Let's do Tornedó [a typical euskadi (Spain) dish]:

Nice! What kind of sauce is that btw?

---------------------

As for me, I've worked up a pork belly dish.

The pork was braised in a mixture of a homemade ramen stock (consisting of veges, pork bones, chicken bones, ect.) with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, sweet cooking sake and water.

Then the pork was chilled to let it firm up before it was sliced and then pan seared for that nice maillard effect.

The diced vegetables are home-pickled carrots and shitake mushrooms and some fresh celery to help cut down on the fattiness of the pork.

4528824982_f91ace28eb_o.jpg

beelzebozo said:
you know, i like heston blumenthal's show, but he's kind of a douchebag, and his methodology makes me roll my eyes sometimes.
I think he's supposed to be pretty friendly IRL, but he does come across as a bit ridiculous and arrogant on TV. His techniques are also incredibly involved and impractical to the extreme for home cooks.

I'd go with Eric Ripert's (of Le Bernardin fame in New York) PBS cooking show. He has got to be the nicest, most humble guy in the superstar, Michelin 3 star chef ranks.
http://aveceric.com/multimedia.html

Zyzyxxz

Hcbk0702 said:
I think he's supposed to be pretty friendly IRL, but he does come across as a bit ridiculous and arrogant on TV. His techniques are also incredibly involved and impractical to the extreme for home cooks.

I'd go with Eric Ripert's (of Le Bernardin fame in New York) PBS cooking show. He has got to be the nicest, most humble guy in the superstar, Michelin 3 star chef ranks.
http://aveceric.com/multimedia.html

How does Eric Ripert, who happens to have 3 michelin stars, stay relegated to PBS. Such a shame, he should get more exposure.

LRB1983

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Nice! What kind of sauce is that btw?
it's a culin chopped onion and garlic fried in oil with some aromatic herbs like Farigola (thymus vulgaris) and bay leaf, a trickle of cognac (or wine if you want) and some mushrooms.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Ooh, the Tornedó and pork belly dishes need to be inside of me right now.

Zyzyxxz said:
How does Eric Ripert, who happens to have 3 michelin stars, stay relegated to PBS. Such a shame, he should get more exposure.

I agree with the recommendation of Ripert's show, although I'm not sure "relegated" is the right word; sure, they don't have the viewership of the Food Network, but FN is practically an entertainment channel now, content to mostly showcase locations with attractive meals (and people), whereas the PBS library is loaded with excellent, useful cooking shows with technique, prestige and passion to spare (Ripert, José Andrés, Hubert Keller, Lidia Bastianich, all the old Julia and Jacques shows...). They rotate through a number of shows each season, but it's too bad they don't have currently unaired ones online for viewing -- I'd love to see Charlie Trotter's Kitchen Sessions again!

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:
Ooh, the Tornedó and pork belly dishes need to be inside of me right now.

I agree with the recommendation of Ripert's show, although I'm not sure "relegated" is the right word; sure, they don't have the viewership of the Food Network, but FN is practically an entertainment channel now, content to mostly showcase locations with attractive meals (and people), whereas the PBS library is loaded with excellent, useful cooking shows with technique, prestige and passion to spare (Ripert, José Andrés, Hubert Keller, Lidia Bastianich, all the old Julia and Jacques shows...). They rotate through a number of shows each season, but it's too bad they don't have currently unaired ones online for viewing -- I'd love to see Charlie Trotter's Kitchen Sessions again!

True, I find it sad how FN has really jumped the shark now considering that PBS and Travel Channel which are not Food-centric channels have better food related shows.

hitsugi

Zyzyxxz said:

can't have michelin star chefs on food network.

Yet another simple, but good, Gyro Pizza tonight.

The final mystery cheese of this last lot was: Murcia Al Vino

All was just done as usual, and was quite nice. No doubt due to the large amount of red wine used in making the cheese, it is probably one of, if not the most, fragrant cheese thus far out of the entire lot of them. Fairly soft, good melt, a bit on the oily side.

Also, those Italian Pretzel like things? We found more of them, well, like 7 bags actually for 69c a pop thanks to a friends discount at closeout.

So if you happen upon some Taralli in your food wanderings, do grab a bag or so as they are powerful tasty and addictive.

Otherwise, I made a topic in these parts seeking some suitable webcam suggestions for the near future, so if bored and in the know track the topic down so I can finally, eventually, get some pics up going forward on stuff.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
hitsugi said:
can't have michelin star chefs on food network.

absolutely.

i wish BRAVO were more interested in expanding the TOP CHEF concept from just competition type shows to more general food lifestyle and cooking shows, with someone like ripert or colicchio at the helm.

Chipopo

Banned
mac said:
I'm going to try to make some Kenny Shopsin Soup.

For full documentation of his insanity click below for the menu.
http://www.shopsins.com/media/redshops/shopsiemenu.pdf

PARTYOF FIVE Robert Hershon
you could put a chair at the end
or push the tables together
but dont bother
This banged-up little restaurant
where you would expect no rules at all
has a firm policy against seating
parties of five
And you know you are
a party of five
It doesn’t matter if one of you
offers to leave or if
you say you could split into
a party of three and a party of two
or if the five of you come back tomorrow
in Richard Nixon masks and try to pretend
that you don’t know each other
It won’t work: You’re a party of five
even if you’re a beloved regular
Even if the place is empty
Even if you bring logic to bear
Even if you’re a tackle for the Chicago Bears
it won’t work
You’re a party of five
You will always be a party of five
Ahundred blocks from here
a hundred years from now
you will still be a party of five
and you will never savor the soup
or compare the coffee or
hear the wisdom of the cook
and the wit of the waitress or
get to hum the old -time tunes
among which you will find
no quintets

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
OT, but I had my first double quarter pounder, double filet o fish and double McChicken yesterday. Double quarter pounder is decent, but feels wrong somehow.

sunsetsf

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:

Since no one else quoted it I will. Looks and sounds delicious, like all these posts.

I'm still a newb, but my Mom gave me 3 years worth of Sunset magazines and I've been working through many recipes. Will take and upload photos of future endeavors...

Alright who is going to be the first to try this ridiculously fattening sandwich?

445199228_8f4145eedc.jpg

Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Difficulty: Easy
Servings: 4

Ingredients

* 1 whole Large (or 2 Small) Onions
* 2 sticks Butter (lots And Lots Of Butter)
* 2 pounds (to 3 Pounds) Cube Steak (tenderized Round Steak That's Been Extra Tenderized)
* Lawry's Seasoned Salt (or Similar Seasoned Salt)
* ½ cups (approximately) Worcestershire Sauce
* Tabasco Sauce, To Taste
* 4 whole French/deli Rolls (earthgrains Are Best!)

Preparation Instructions

Slice onions and cook in 1/4 stick butter until soft and light brown. Remove and set aside.

Slice cube steak against the grain. Season with Lawry’s.

Heat 2 tablespoons butter over high heat (in same skillet) until melted and beginning to brown. Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown, then flip and cook until brown, about a minute on both sides.

Add 1/2 cup (at least) Worcestershire sauce, 5 to 6 shakes Tabasco, and 2 tablespoons butter. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine.

Butter halved French rolls and brown in skillet.

To assemble, lay bottom half of French roll on plate. Place meat mixture, followed by a spoonful of juice from the pan. Top with other half of roll, cut in half, and devour!

Edit: Link To Recipe

Pacey

Banned
dm6791.jpg

stir fry ala pace.

you will probably need:
rice
chicken/tofu
bok choy (stalk and all)
baby corns
water chestnuts
bean sprouts
mushroom
chillis
garlic
and soy sauce (kikkoman has a pretty awesome taste)
honey
sesame seed

add peanut oil to a wok or frypan with the garlic, fry it up a little.
add chilli.
when your oil is smoking, add your tofu/chicken/tochicken.
throw in the bok choy stalks.
fry for 3 or 4 mins or untill chicken is browned/sealed.
throw in the rest of your vegetables sans the bok choy greens and a very liberal splash of soy/teaspoon of honey
stir fry that good for another ten mins or so.
steam the bok choy greens for a minute and throw them in the wok.

serve over rice
sprinkle seeds over.
enjoy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
SnakeXs said:
Anyone ever wet render beef fat?

No, too much hassle, but I do save bacon fat and beef drippings/fat from pot roasts for later recipes. But seriously, making different kinds of fat from fat? Just buy drippings or lard. And buy that shit from mexicans because they are the fat kings.

I made an amazing pot roast on Saturday morning for the week. Threw some turnips in the mirepoix, which was all sautéed in saved bacon fat anyway. and it turned out AMAZING. OM NOM FAT.

Natetan

anybody here ever make aspic? I've been making a sort of substitute aspic using kanten. It's really fun for both sweet and savory dishes, and is pretty good for presentation. No pictures sorry. :(

Salazar

OuterWorldVoice said:
No, too much hassle, but I do save bacon fat and beef drippings/fat from pot roasts for later recipes. But seriously, making different kinds of fat from fat? Just buy drippings or lard. And buy that shit from mexicans because they are the fat kings.

I recall reading that some Indian street vendors will use the runoff of combined sauces and fats as a sort of master base for an after-work meal.

God knows, that sounds life-threatening, though.

Okay IronGAF, I am a complete novice with cooking but I want to make some sort of spicy and sweet Asian-influenced chicken tonight. I have a meaty chicken breast and a house full of condiments/spices but don't know where to start.

I've got this in the house
04139001455l.jpg

and figured I'd use it and some chili paste to start. I was thinking I'd cube the chicken and maybe stir-fry it with some veggies. I'm about to look up some recipes online but since you guys are so awesome and knowledgeable I thought I'd ask for any suggestions from IronGAF first :) Again, I am a complete beginner with cooking :X

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Okay IronGAF, I am a complete novice with cooking but I want to make some sort of spicy and sweet Asian-influenced chicken tonight. I have a meaty chicken breast and a house full of condiments/spices but don't know where to start.

I've got this in the house
04139001455l.jpg

and figured I'd use it and some chili paste to start. I was thinking I'd cube the chicken and maybe stir-fry it with some veggies. I'm about to look up some recipes online but since you guys are so awesome and knowledgeable I thought I'd ask for any suggestions from IronGAF first :) Again, I am a complete beginner with cooking :X

that's a good start, just remember to cut the chicken breast in strips, not cubes, and use real high temp for stir fry. start with browning the chicken, then add the veggies step by step, going after how "tough" they are when raw (e.g. carrots before bell peppers before sprouts etc.) good veggies to use are scallions, soy bean sprouts and julienne'd carrots.

Paceys recipe a few posts up explains this quite well.

to enhance the flavor of the chicken breast, you can dry rub it with a bit of garlic powder and chili powder. try to keep the meat as dry as possible (no salt for the dry rub) so it will brown nicely.

rykomatsu

If you're feeling a little bit daring...

Take strips of chicken breast, run it through boiling water for a few moments until the outside becomes just slightly firm, then put into a container w/ sweet miso that's been diluted slightly with sake and store for a few hrs in the fridge or room temp.

Slice and serve...the center of the chicken should be raw.

Well, I realized I didn't have any fresh veggies and didn't want to go to the store so I just had the chicken and brown rice with a side of green beans, haha.

1zyya7l.jpg

I think I overcooked the chicken a little but I never cook meat so I was still proud of it, the chili paste:sauce ratio was perfect. I'm kind of embarrassed to post this picture in here with all of you expert cooks but hey, you've got to start somewhere, right?

Maiar_m

Hi, all. First contribution, and I am in the process of reading the whole thread, which is like torture for my hunger, but it's so good.

So yeah, I just made some burgers. I'm a student and I can't really do anything fancy though, so it's pretty straightforward.

So it starts with:
Burger-4.jpg

all of these:

1 small onion,
1 small shallot,
1 garlic,
1 spring onion.
250gr ground beef
200gr potatoes
King-sized buns
Ketchup
Cheese
God's love.

Burger-3.jpg

Thinly slice the onions, shallot and garlic

Burger-5.jpg

Put it all on your ground beef and mix it all up.

Burger-6.jpg

You can make two generous patties out of that.

Burger-2.jpg

I also did some fried potatoes on the side, but I chopped them quite thin to cook them fast

Burger-7.jpg

Grill the beef and season to your taste (I used 5 ground peppers)

Burger-8.jpg

Toast the buns slightly and put whatever you want on them, as long as cheese is involved
Burger-9.jpg

???

Burger-10.jpg

Profit!

Burger-1.jpg

I quite enjoyed this recipe, I think the onion / shallot / garlic combo is subtle enough so that you can still taste the beef (which wasn't great, as I said, student food) and yet have that powerful taste.

Not shown, the frying of the potatoes, in a saucepan, since that's all I've got. It turned out quite nice actually.

Crappy phone pics, sorry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom