• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
AqueousTransmission, nice outcome! it was a good idea to add a hint of sesame to the finished dish.

Maiar_m, welcome and thanks for sharing! Really nice looking burgers, but I object to the idea of putting anything into the patties before frying. Just personal preference. It would be nice to see more student / budget-restrained dishes, so keep posting your daily cooking routine, please!

Maiar_m

Well, I have some free time this week so I also made cookies:

burger1.jpg

and a salad for my girlfriend, for lunch

burger2.jpg

The vinaigrette is:
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt, 5 berries pepper, oregano.

I can post the recipe for the cookies if there's some interest too!

So I was wondering what to eat for dinner, and I grabbed some veggies and steaks from the fridge. I really wanted to make Beef Vindaloo, but with cows being sacred and shit I didn't quite feel right. Still, I'm a hungry college student, not an Indian Ambassador. The dinner gets made.

God's Beard's secret recipe for Devi Curry(serves 4)

Ingredients:

kFQhX.jpg

4 steaks
1 large onion
2 medium tomatoes
a few handfuls of mushrooms
3/4 cup of water
4 tablespoons of your favorite curry paste(I like Vindaloo)
olive oil

Preparation:

1. Chop onion and sauté it.
2. Dice tomatoes and mushrooms.
3. Once the onions change color, dump them in a pot with the tomatoes, water and curry paste. Mix regularly.

ak9gm.jpg

4. Place the steaks and mushrooms on a piece of aluminum foil and put it on a pan.

X5prx.jpg

5. Pour the sauce over the steaks and mushrooms.
6. Wrap the aluminum foil around the mixture, and put it in the oven at 375°.
7. Clean up, browse GAF, and stare at the oven for about an hour and fifteen minutes.
8. Check the steaks. If they're done, eat them.

11kcyn4.png

Normally I make naan to go with my Vindaloo, but I forgot to buy flour yesterday :-(

This is what my naan looks like, though:

6hQof.png

Maiar_m

fireside said:
I maké thé Crème Brûlée
http://i39.tinypic.com/34rtb92.jpg
(I had no more dessert spoons so that's why that one is so big)
Ok that looks tasty and I'm not a huge fan of crème brulée.

Well I still had time to cook, so sorry for the repetitive posts these days. Tonight, Yakitori! Well, sort of. Custom marinade (Mirin, soya sauce, honey, pepper, green anise seeds, lots of love) on turkey, and Udons with chicken soup. Turned out amazing, if I may say so myself, I'll do that marinade again.

yakitori2.jpg

yakitori1.jpg

anyone have a good pizza sauce recipe?

We made focacia dough in class last week and it was exactly how I like my pizza.

Just need a good recipe for a sauce.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ExtraKr1spy said:
anyone have a good pizza sauce recipe?

We made focacia dough in class last week and it was exactly how I like my pizza.

Just need a good recipe for a sauce.
go with canned chopped tomatoes, add a bit of sea salt, coarsely round black pepper, maybe a hint of Oregano and that's it.

Chocolate Ice Cream with Godiva Liqueur

What you need:

----------------------------------------

Ice cream maker

1 3/4 cups of heavy cream

1/2 cup of sugar (split evenly into 1/4 cup)

4 large egg yolks

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

4 oz - semi sweet chocolate chips

pinch of salt

1 cup Godiva Liqueur

A container with a sealable lid

Time passer (we will get to this later)

--------------------------------------

First things first. Make sure your ice cream maker's freezing bowl has been in the freezer for at leave 24 hours prior to do this, or it will not turn out right. Just put it in the night before(or just store it in there like me), and you should be good to go.

Grab a pot and put all of the heavy cream, chocolate chips, pinch of salt and a 1/4 cup of sugar in and bring the heat up very slowly to about medium. Continually stir to incorporate the chocolate thoroughly. DO NOT LET IT BOIL!!! The second you start to see a few bubbles surfacing, take it off of the heat.

zkg0fd.jpg

If it looks like this when you first start with specks of brown, you are on the right track. Don't worry, the chocolate will darken it within a few minutes. Once the chocolate gets thoroughly melted and mixed with the cream, turn the heat off.

While that's happening take the 4 egg yolks and 1/4 cup of sugar, place in a nice wide-deep dish, and whisk it really well until its nice and smooth. Should look about like this:
se8tpl.jpg

Next, and this seems more scary than it actually is, you need to temper the hot cream into the eggs. You do this by whisking very quickly and added only a small amount of the cream at a time. Take your time here, as I only added about a tablespoon of cream at a time, at about 15 second intervals. Do this about 7 or 8 times to slowly bring the temperature of the eggs up without actually "cooking" them. I promise, this was the first time I have ever done this technique and it scared the hell out of me, but it wasn't hard at all and came out perfectly. Just constantly keep siring and all will be well.

Afterward, you can slowly add the egg mixture back into the cream(whisking as you pour) and turn the fire back up to medium heat and which until it starts to slightly bubble. It should look like this:
11jlks6.jpg

Once you are here, turn the heat off and let the mixture cool about 5 minutes. At this point, add your vanilla extract(a splash of almond extract is great as well) and stir, pour into a bowl with plastic wrap over the top, and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours so the custard can really set and thicken. Go take a trip to the gym or something to burn off the calories you are about to eat lol

Next up, grab your ice cream maker and freezer bowl. Set it all up, and get your custard out of the fridge. Proceed to dump ever bit of it into the ice cream maker and turn that thing on to get the process rolling. Here is a quick glimpse inside:
2mdmk5f.jpg

About 25 minutes should be fine, but I let it go for about 45-50 minutes to ensure maximum creaminess. This will be a long wait, so that time waster I put in the ingredients list is a necessity. Here is what I did:
2pt7bk5.jpg

After the time passes, pull out the good ole Godiva Liqueur, pour in a cup of it and let it incorporate for about 3 or 4 minutes. You can put in anything else you like at this point, such as chocolate chips, nuts, raspberries...anything you see fit. I just wanted plain ole ice cream, so I added nothing but the Godiva. Once everything is all done, you should put it in your sealable container(this recipe makes about 1 1/2 pints) let it set overnight in the freezer to ensure maximum texture...but there is no way you can just NOT have some right this second, so dig in :D

30mu0i9.jpg

a9fn4.jpg

mkusm9.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Day off from work and finally got paid after starting my new job a month ago.

So I decide to keep it simple and have a fulfilling lunch of ribeye steak and eggs with sauteed portabello mushrooms. Steak was cooked to a little above medium rare by accident. I was hoping for a perfect medium rare but I left it in the oven just a tad too long. Still it came out really well due to the good quality of meat.

4547075784_c1298eed8c_o.jpg

4546441881_1248606ec9_o.jpg

4547076250_a402810a84_o.jpg

Well, back to Panini once again for the next 5ish weeks on account of the farmer's market being out of Gyro's AGAIN!

This time: Manoyri Google tells me it is usually spelled differently, but that's what the label said and even then the Y looked very much like a V due to their odd font.

This was, I think, my first ultra-crumbly cheese---quite nice! In terms of melting though, well, either it actually doesn't in a Brie-like style...or it takes longer...or it takes some other odd doings...

My mom was all excited about it after trying a bit since apparently it is one she had back when she was a kid growing up in Turkey---so odds are some of that will be living in the fridge going forward.

My cheese pool, as it were, is also newly refreshed with potential! I'd been a bit worried to only have about 2-3 local grocery offerings left for new ones, but a more exhaustive search in the closest one to the house led to about 8-9 new cheeses---including one apparently made from sheep's milk which would definitely be a first!

Also, providing I can come to understand how one posts pics on GAF and successfully manage to do so, I should have my very first webcam, a Microsoft Lifecam Cinema that was recommended in the OT topic that I confirmed did work in Win 7 64, available for use. Soon, you shall be able to see one or more low res pictures of my creations. :lol

Chipopo

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Day off from work and finally got paid after starting my new job a month ago.

So I decide to keep it simple and have a fulfilling lunch of ribeye steak and eggs with sauteed portabello mushrooms.

Hey Zyzyxxz. That dish looks super-duper amazing. I was wondering if you could go in to a little detail about those mushrooms and onions. Is that a wine sauce?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
TheFatOne said:
So GAF I want to learn how to cook. Can anyone recommend me some good beginner cookware sets/knifes.

good beginner knives are cheap knives, imo. you'll mess up expensive ones, inevitably, until you get the hang of cooking and knife care. grab something in the 7-20 dollar range at wal-mart or a hardware store--something that feels comfortable in your hand--and use that for a while. once you decide you're in this cooking thing for the long haul, start looking at the posh stuff.

way more

TheFatOne said:
So GAF I want to learn how to cook. Can anyone recommend me some good beginner cookware sets/knifes.

8" Forschner Chef's Knife. It's both beginner and pro.

rh-forschner-8-chef-knife-w-fibrox-handle.jpg

And one of these cases

47303.jpg

TheFatOne

mac said:
8" Forschner Chef's Knife. It's both beginner and pro.

rh-forschner-8-chef-knife-w-fibrox-handle.jpg

And one of these cases

47303.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. All I need now are the pots and pans. I was checking out amazon, and would like to get some opinions on this 10 piece cookware set . I am also looking for a good beginner recipe book, and a beginner cooking technique book.

Zyzyxxz

Chipopo said:
Hey Zyzyxxz. That dish looks super-duper amazing. I was wondering if you could go in to a little detail about those mushrooms and onions. Is that a wine sauce?

mushrooms were very simple, after I pan seared the steak I cooked the onions in the leftover pan oil and juices and added some sherry vinegar to deglaze a little. Then sauteed the sliced portabellos, in retrospect I should have cooked the onions and portabellos in a seperate pan so they wouldn't have looked so dirty but they still tasted good.

Only other seasonings used were salt and pepper and I felt those ingredients were enough.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Congratulations! Don't worry about staff not showing up, it's an everyday nuisance, regardless of continent:D

Best of luck with the venue!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
replicashooter said:
Three of the greatest things known to man in one tasty concotion?

Recipe please, cheers

1 cup AP flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1½ tsp ground cardamom
1½ tsp cinnamon

5 tbsp unsalted butter (cold and diced small)
1¼ cup milk
¼ cup honey

Sift the dry ingredients together, mix in about half of the milk, then add the butter, honey and remaining milk. The dough should be pretty sticky. Plop the biscuits onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper -- in whatever sizes you prefer; I only get six biscuits out this recipe because I like them large -- sprinkle the tops with a tiny bit of sugar and bake for 15-20m at 400°

way more

TheFatOne said:
Thanks for the suggestions. All I need now are the pots and pans. I was checking out amazon, and would like to get some opinions on this 10 piece cookware set . I am also looking for a good beginner recipe book, and a beginner cooking technique book.

Normally you want to avoid 10 and 8 piece sets but that's a great deal and I've used some cuisinart classics and found them adequate. Ideally you would get to hold the pan to make sure the base is nice and thick. Also you would only buy the 8" and 10" skillet and one sauce pan and the saute pan. But that's a great deal.

The cookbook you want is Cooks Illustrated. It's no-nonsense and highly regarded. It's like the peer review journal of cook books. When they give you a meat loaf recipe you can be assured they used a cow's worth of ground beef to prefect it.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/

It's also full of picture guides like so,
latkes.jpg

and lots and lots of reviews.

M-CooksIllustratedGarlic.jpg

The reviews are my favorite part. Pretty much all home cookware is built to look cute and stylish so the majority of utensils are crap. It's a blessing to have their reviews. You can probably find a review of the Cuisinart skillet on the site.

Edit: I check the site and here is what they said about the Cuisinart Chefs Classic 12 inch skillet.

This disk-bottom pan offers a generous cooking surface, but testers called it “flighty.” Heat built up in the thick aluminum disk and transmitted abundantly through the cooking surface, making the temperature climb precipitously. Steaks browned well on the first side, but got too dark on the second. Onions scorched and smoked, even when we lowered the heat. In the durability test, the disk bottom fell off.

More explanation of that.

To test our lineup, we seared steaks, made pan sauces, pan-roasted chicken pieces, sautéed onions, and flipped crêpes. With steaks, it was immediately clear which pans transmit heat steadily and evenly across their surface, allowing them to easily achieve a deeply seared crust on both sides, and which ones didn’t. (And all this time you thought it was your cooking skills.) One pan browned the first side of the steaks well—but after we flipped them, the pan temperature continued to surge, blackening the second side in just over a minute. Another pan lost its heat when we added the steaks, leaving the meat with a soft “steamed” exterior instead of a flavorful crust.

What made good steak go bad? The two worst performers in this test were the disk-bottom pans. The pan that lacked sizzle when we added steaks had the thickest cooking surface in the lineup, with a 5.5-mm bottom—but only 0.5mm was heat-conducting aluminum. With so much slow-responding stainless steel, no wonder it was sluggish. And how about the pan that raced ahead, scorching our steaks? Its construction was just the opposite—a full 3mm of its 4-mm-thick bottom was composed of aluminum, with just a thin layer of steel to temper heat. A few of the fully clad pans suffered from similar problems, but they weren’t nearly as severe.

A great skillet has a steady, moderate sauté speed and will not require endless fiddling with the temperature dial to balance any shortcomings. To test this, we sautéed chopped onions in each pan for 15 minutes over medium heat. Some skillets turned out soft, uniformly golden onions without us ever touching the dial, others cooked pieces that were too light and too dark in the same pan, while still others forced us to constantly turn the heat down to prevent the onions from burning.

If you buy the set you will have to watch out for that but only when sauteing veggies and stuff in the skillets. It's probably still worth the purchase.

Edit edit: You will also need a non-stick pan for making beautiful eggs and omelets. Cooks Illustrated suggests this and I think I may buy a second they are so good.

31YQ8D5R1FL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008GK9B/?tag=neogaf0e-20

20$! Treat it like your baby. Hand wash only. Never plunge under water when it's hot. Wrap with a towel when you store it and never let roommates or your mom use it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, last night I made some Balognese Penne and took some photos of everything but the final product :lol

It was pretty damn tasty and the sauce too about an hour longer to reduce than I thought it would so we were all starving and GAF photos weren't exactly on my mind.

IMG_0032.jpg

The original mix of veggies in olive oil to soften them up. Celery, Carrots, Onions and Garlic.

IMG_0035.jpg

Meat. I went with a pound of lean beef and 1/2 a pound of lean pork

IMG_0038.jpg

With the white wine and hand squeezed Tomatoes added in. To be honest, I was a bit worried about the tomatoes, but as it simmered they basically fizzled down to nothing. I had a strong fear of too many tomato chunks.

Put some fresh cut basil and some freshly grated parmigano regino on top.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
HappyBivouac said:
Alright IronGAF, I have to know.

What does it take to make the leap from being someone who can cook something acceptable, to someone who is GOOD at cooking, and can genuinely impress him/herself and other people? I think there are some key fundamentals and techniques that we skip over when learning how to just be an acceptable cook. What are they?

Any good tips, thoughts, books, resources, tools for someone who has a budding interest in cooking as a hobby?
I haven't really posted in this thread (my kitchen is a stamp), but I'd like to add that temperatures matter! Too many passable chiefs blast the heat and that can ruin all sorts of shit.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
And my lunch today was a beef and potato soup.

Red bell pepper, onions and garlic mixed in with low sodium beef broth, cumin, water, taters and beef and capellini pasta Pretty tasty but I think I overdid the cumin a bit.

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Thought I would share this simple recipe. Kind of just made it up since I couldn't find one recipe that I liked.

Crab Salad Sandwich

Ingredients:
  • 16oz Can of Crab Meat
  • 1/4 Cup of Celery
  • 1/4 Cup of Sweet Onion
  • 1/4 Cup of Mayonaise (You can use a more to suit your taste if needed)
  • 1 Teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning

Combine all ingredients. Apply generously to your favorite bread (toasted or not) and top with Boston Lettuce and a slice of tomato.

Probably makes 4-6 servings.

Note: I intended to dice up some red pepper and dill pickle to put in there but I forgot those items when I went to the store. It might have been too much if I had though. Crab meat has such a delicate flavor that you don't want to overpower it.

Sorry I didn't take a pic. I was so hungry that I didn't even think about it. I will make sure to take one tonight when I will undoubtedly have another.

95688b.jpg

This is the crab meat I used. It was $9.99 at my local grocery store. Probably overpriced but I live in Tennessee.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
The fiance is making skirt stake tonight! But with what? Should it be fried plantains or rice and beans? I can't decide!

rykomatsu

Prepared Gazpacho and "poached" eggs tonight....I can't seem to get the whites to "glob" around the yolk too well, but not going to complain (yet) since the yolks remained runny :)

dinner.jpg

Zyzyxxz

gah I cooked a bunch of stuff tonight but forgot to take pics.

Bangers and mash
sliced and baked eggplant with sliced sauteed shitake topped with scallion and shallot mince
plate of raw oysters with pureed kimchi garnish
scrambled eggs with thin slice red onions seasoned with a little soy sauce and a little saffron.

Zoe

What do you guys use in your crawfish boil mixes? Almost every one I've been to, they just dump the whole bottle of the Zatarain's spices in there, but then I went to one on Sunday where they used the liquid version plus a whole bunch of other ingredients (including pounds of butter) and it was sooooooo good.

CrankyJay

Banned
Quite pissed...was preparing beef stew for my crockpot this morning before work, and the power went out twice. Got worried...but the power went back on before I left so I set it and left.

Came home at lunch just to check on it and sure enough the power was cut again, and I have an electronic crockpot so it reset itself to the state at which it's waiting for cooking input.

I turned it back on and left for work again. If the power goes out again by the time I get home I'm just going to toss the damn thing. =(

Zyzyxxz

Zoe said:
What do you guys use in your crawfish boil mixes? Almost every one I've been to, they just dump the whole bottle of the Zatarain's spices in there, but then I went to one on Sunday where they used the liquid version plus a whole bunch of other ingredients (including pounds of butter) and it was sooooooo good.

I think a crawfish boil is exclusive to the southern states. I wish I could find one in SoCal

Razorwind

My own attempt on Onkel's Käsespätzle

4562330645_f2f166dbdb.jpg

Had to substitute the cheese with cheddar >.< Anything beyond cheddar costs a bomb in Singapore, even Parmesan.

The taste was VERY rich. I did two onions, and 4 teaspoons of sugar, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Quite overwhelming actuallly...

Not sure if I did it right.

rykomatsu

Again, something for the budding cook who might be cash strapped, especially if you're in the SF bay area and potentially have a friend that enjoys cooking too...

http://www.sfherb.com/

Bulk spices...basically ~1lb of spices for approximately the same price you would pay for those small jars at a grocery store. There's a $30 order minimum online, but if you're in the SF bay area and happen to be in the neighborhood, there's no order minimum.

Great for splitting up between friends or if you use a lot, just having quite a bit on hand. The downside is a lot of spices "go bad" rather quickly so you may end up discarding a good half pound or so at times depending on how much you use...running out while preparing a dinner for a group, though, may be a thing of the past :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom