• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
rykomatsu said:
Again, something for the budding cook who might be cash strapped, especially if you're in the SF bay area and potentially have a friend that enjoys cooking too...

http://www.sfherb.com/

Between this and bringing Cost Plus (which I took judicious advantage of last week during their 2-for-$4 spice sale) to my attention, you're my new favorite person. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Razorwind said:
My own attempt on Onkel's Käsespätzle

4562330645_f2f166dbdb.jpg

Had to substitute the cheese with cheddar >.< Anything beyond cheddar costs a bomb in Singapore, even Parmesan.

The taste was VERY rich. I did two onions, and 4 teaspoons of sugar, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Quite overwhelming actuallly...

Not sure if I did it right.
the cheddar is a bit too salty for the dish, Emmental cheese is perfect because it has a nearly unsalted, hazelnut-like flavor. also, two teaspoos of sat for just two onions is way too much, half a teaspoon is more than enough. Were you able to buy Spätzle in Singapore?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
PIZZA!

This is Wolfgang Puck's crust recipe, which I really like:

1 package active dry or fresh yeast
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

pic-1.jpg

Put it all in a bowl:

pic-2.jpg

Mix it around until you get:

pic-3.jpg

Kneed a little, then put back in lightly oiled bowl:

pic-4.jpg

Cover with a damp towel, come back in a few hours and it should have doubled in size:

pic-5.jpg

Divide in 2, put one in freezer for later:

pic-6.jpg

Sauce!

I found this recipe on INTERNET under "exquisite pizza sauce recipe." It's excellent:

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
6 fluid ounces warm water
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
salt to taste

pic-8.jpg

Mix together (freeze excess):

pic-9.jpg

Roll out your dough, I like it kinda thin:

pic-7.jpg

Sprinkle your pre-heated pizza stone with a little corn meal, lay out dough, assemble pie. I use premium pepperonis:

pic-10.jpg

Bake @ 500f until done:

pic-11.jpg

Masticate.

Zyzyxxz

Interesting addition of honey to the crust.

Did you feel it added much to the quality and taste of it? Overall how did you like the recipe?

Yes Boss!

Great stuff, folks!

Been watching from afar. Will rejoin you folks back in August. Thinking of a new theme to tackle by then. Any ideas?

Borgnine

Zyzyxxz said:

Did you feel it added much to the quality and taste of it? Overall how did you like the recipe?

I love it, I make one of these thing like once a week (no fatty). I honestly don't know if I would be able to tell with or without the honey, but I've got like a grip of honey in my cupboard that I never use so I thought this would make a good home for it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Zyzyxxz said:

I'd wager it's more to feed the yeast than for any significant flavor.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yes Boss! said:
Been watching from afar. Will rejoin you folks back in August. Thinking of a new theme to tackle by then. Any ideas?

Your Indian meals were always tremendously impressive to me, especially in how consistent you remained in quality, and in that spirit, I'd be interested to see how you could fare going gluten-free (even if only for a month). I'd love to have some neat new recipes to pass along to my numerous friends living with celiac disease.

Zyzyxxz

Yes Boss! said:
Great stuff, folks!

cook more meat! I'd like to see what you can do outside of Indian-vegetarian

Razorwind

OnkelC said:
the cheddar is a bit too salty for the dish, Emmental cheese is perfect because it has a nearly unsalted, hazelnut-like flavor. also, two teaspoos of sat for just two onions is way too much, half a teaspoon is more than enough. Were you able to buy Spätzle in Singapore?

http://www.paulaner-brauhaus.com/worldwide/classics

This is probably the best German cuisine i can find in Singapore. And it doesnt have Spätzle, I think... I enjoyed the pork knuckles there really, and the inhouse brew is GREAT!

I think i might give the dish a miss, unless I suddenly grow rich and start being able to buy cheese and grow my own fresh herbs. (4-5 stalks of fresh rosemary here costs almost...$3.50USD, almost an entire mcdonalds' meal)

However, the apple pancakes recipe you provided is MAGICAL. LOVE IT!!! I will post pics up once i stop failing to flip it before it burns...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Razorwind said:
http://www.paulaner-brauhaus.com/worldwide/classics

This is probably the best German cuisine i can find in Singapore. And it doesnt have Spätzle, I think... I enjoyed the pork knuckles there really, and the inhouse brew is GREAT!

I think i might give the dish a miss, unless I suddenly grow rich and start being able to buy cheese and grow my own fresh herbs. (4-5 stalks of fresh rosemary here costs almost...$3.50USD, almost an entire mcdonalds' meal)

However, the apple pancakes recipe you provided is MAGICAL. LOVE IT!!! I will post pics up once i stop failing to flip it before it burns...
heh, they even have Käsespätzle on the menu:lol it's in the "appetizers" section, fifth from top.

It's great to hear that you made the pancakes as well, pics would be appreciated. Keep it coming!

Borgnine, really interesting dough recipe, will try out the honey thing the next time I'll make a dough myself. we found a really great Pizza place in the immediate surrounding of our new pad, so it might take a while:D

Yes Boss!, good to hear that you are alive and well! Doesn't matter what you'll cook, just come back in good health and shape. On the other hand, you could try yourself on the german cuisine:lol

OK IronGAF, I'm somewhat terrified I screwed up with this whole "posting an image" thing, but upon checking the FAQ, I should HOPE this will suffice until I can get more into a groove.

This week's Panini Pizza is wrought to you courtesy of:

Appenzeller

This cheese is just solid all around though---melted quickly, somewhat oily, nothing terribly distinctive about it. For the cracker potion this time I tried some Pepperidge Farm 4 Cheese/Italian herb----which was OK but amusingly corn flake-like when crumbled. I realized too late on the 2nd pizza how I might do a better pic, but oh well.

Here's the initial one, in low res webcam glory!

t8rz4i.jpg

Next week shall see another new cheese and another new cracker, and maybe more than one pic.

ChanHuk

Banned
Made a simple Mac and Cheese today that was amazing, got it off another forum that I frequent, feel free to critique it.

Store bought mac and cheese (not the powdered stuff)
1 chopped jalapeno
Couple chopped gloves of garlic
1 tbsp of butter
1/2 tbsp of paprika
1 1/2 tbsp of panko breadcrumbs
1/4 tbsp of ground cumin
1/2 tbsp of ground cayenne pepper
1-2 tbsp of a stout (I had Guiness)
1/2lb of ground beef

Cook the noodles as usual, I sweated the jalapeno and garlic in a pan then set aside for later. Brown the ground beef and season lightly. In a baking pan toss in the cooked noodles, add beer and cheese and coat the noodles. Once you got that nice and combined add in the ground beef, garlic, and jalapeno and combine. Add cumin and cayenne pepper to your liking and mix again. Melt the butter, add the paprika and breadcrumbs until thoroughly mixed and top the mac and cheese. Bake for 12 minutes or until brown and go nom nom nom with the remaining stout.

So GAF, I have a new recipe that you roasted chicken lovers will enjoy and its as easy as pie!

Need-
1 whole chicken
1 head of garlic
fresh thyme
kosher salt pepper

1) Buy whole chicken (mine was 4 1/2 lb)
2) Clean chicken and dry VERY VERY WELL
3) Rub in some olive oil with pepper and kosher salt all over
4) Preheat oven to 450
5) Put chicken on pan.
6) At edge of pan, put a whole head of garlic with its end piece cut off. Make sure the garlic has some olive oil and kosher salt on it.
7) Cook for 55 minutes
8) Take out, put some fresh thyme all over chicken
9) Cover with foil for 20 minutes
10) Enjoy

It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!

Yes Boss!

Ha,

good times y'all.

I think I'm gonna choose german cuisine in honor of the thread author. I hope I do him justice from my California perspective. See you in august!

Going to be reading this thread a lot this summer. Cooking is one of the things I will be improving about myself this summer.

I can cook. Give me a recipe and I can do it no problem. But I just don't feel like I know what I'm doing. Does anyone have a recommendation on any books I should be looking for?

Would you just say to get some cookbooks and play around? Find stuff online and play around? Thanks for any direction :3

Dinner is served.

So, after eating out for more than 2 months, I decided to curtain it. But since I wouldn't have time for a full fledged preparation, I got some things to cook at home.

kqo3d.jpg

Chicken Breast marinated in Pesto Genovese
Potatoes - Simply Potatoes Diced with Onions

The Chicken Breasts are absolutely tasty.

Put some Mozerella on top after the cooking.

Zyzyxxz

demosthenes said:
Going to be reading this thread a lot this summer. Cooking is one of the things I will be improving about myself this summer.

I can cook. Give me a recipe and I can do it no problem. But I just don't feel like I know what I'm doing. Does anyone have a recommendation on any books I should be looking for?

Would you just say to get some cookbooks and play around? Find stuff online and play around? Thanks for any direction :3

I think Jamie Oliver has good starter books that are light on the recipes themselves but more are like instructions on how to use certain ingredients.

I decided to actually cook from The French Laundry Cookbook instead of just looking at it (normally use Bouchon if I'm in a Keller mood). Time-intensive as expected, but great results at the end. Went with the following for dinner:

Walnut cream soup with vanilla and white wine poached pear purée
Black cod with caramelized fennel, concentrated tomatoes and fingerling potatoes (not FL)
Baked pineapple with caramel sauce, deep fried pastry cream and crème fraîche

Unfortunately, too hectic in the kitchen to take pictures.

Maiar_m

Baked pineapples are always great.
Just had time to mess around with yeast over the weekend, made a pizza (shape? not so good. Taste? Yeah, alright, I'll eat it) and cinnamon rolls (best thing I've ever done).

I've thrown the pizza dough recipe away, it wasn't perfect enough, but if you're interested in the cinnamon rolls, just ask!

pizzar.jpg

rollsu.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I made delicious spaghetti with meat sauce and asparagus last night. Served it with some Italian Chianti Red Wine. It was great. I almost took pictures but I failed you, OnkelC.

Zyzyxxz

gonna do some major cooking tonight but not sure if I will have pics ready.

Otherwise I'll just share my lunch at this ramen spot today.

The definition of porkniess right there. Pork based ramen broth and a pork rice bowl to go with it. For those lucky enough to be near a Mitsuwa this is at Santouka Ramen, considered one of the better ramen places in California.

4576380750_76db9e18db_o.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:

In addition to flavor, it probably helps the yeast get moving.

I've never heard of honey in pizza sauce, but i suppose it's just a substitute for sugar, which is common in red sauces.

Borgnine

Death Dealer said:
In addition to flavor, it probably helps the yeast get moving.

Yeah yeah yeah if anyone makes this crust the first step is actually to put 1/4 cup of the water in the bowl along with the honey and yeast, mix it around, and let it sit there for 5-10 minutes. This is probably a a crucial step.

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
Nice photo--do you usually carry your SLR with you when you go to restaurants?

nah only when I know I'm gonna go out ahead of time.

I keep it for references in case I ever want ideas/inspirations/get off my ass to start a food blog.

beje

Banned
Another insta-dinner idea for the cooking-impaired and lazy people (no pics though):

Either microwave for 7 or 8 minutes a potato (if you're very hungry and can't wait) or roast it in the oven. Peel, mash with a fork, add tuna, mayo, olives, spices, mix everything together and ta-da!

Zyzyxxz

Dinner tonight, two things which I did not get a chance to take a picture of was this cured yellowtail dish I made from the Momofuku cookbook, it can be seen here:

http://momofukufor2.com/2010/04/cured-hamachi/

Mine looked basically the same.

I also made broiled black cod marinated in miso, which is a famous and often copied Nobu dish.

Now for the pictures I did take:

I have an unhealthy obsession with pork belly, especially if its the kurobuta/berkshire type.

4577437272_6503604e7a_o.jpg

4576804417_14c3c8dfc2_o.jpg

Braised in a soy sauce, sugar, and fermented red tofu sauce
4577437584_5e2ace7d9b_o.jpg

celery, red onion, and chicken stir fry in spicy garlic sauce
4576804885_ef3322cbb8_o.jpg

sesame chicken and cucumbers
4577437718_23e5a39ab1_o.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Got a 98 on my practical midterm exam tonight: had to make génoise cake, pâte à choux (eclair paste), pastry cream and chocolate ganache mostly from memory. I hate making eclairs, but these surprisingly came out better than ever before.

Now for the written exam tomorrow...

theusedversion said:
Thought I would share this simple recipe. Kind of just made it up since I couldn't find one recipe that I liked.

Crab Salad Sandwich

Ingredients:
  • 16oz Can of Crab Meat
  • 1/4 Cup of Celery
  • 1/4 Cup of Sweet Onion
  • 1/4 Cup of Mayonaise (You can use a more to suit your taste if needed)
  • 1 Teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning

Combine all ingredients. Apply generously to your favorite bread (toasted or not) and top with Boston Lettuce and a slice of tomato.

Probably makes 4-6 servings.

Note: I intended to dice up some red pepper and dill pickle to put in there but I forgot those items when I went to the store. It might have been too much if I had though. Crab meat has such a delicate flavor that you don't want to overpower it.

Sorry I didn't take a pic. I was so hungry that I didn't even think about it. I will make sure to take one tonight when I will undoubtedly have another.

95688b.jpg

This is the crab meat I used. It was $9.99 at my local grocery store. Probably overpriced but I live in Tennessee.

What part of TN? I live in TN, too, and I'd like to try that stuff out

numble

Zyzyxxz said:
Dinner tonight, two things which I did not get a chance to take a picture of was this cured yellowtail dish I made from the Momofuku cookbook, it can be seen here:
All this makes me hungry. Do you have a source for Chinese recipes? All I went by in the past were mostly Allrecipes.com recipes, which are not that authentic.

I'm making my first pork belly tonight, it's marinating as I type. The marinade came out amazingly, I used;

2 cloves garlic , crushed
3 tbspn sugar
2 tbspn soy sauce
2 tbspn char siu sauce
1 teaspon 5 spice powder
Bit of pepper.

Can't wait to get that bad boy cooking!

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
All this makes me hungry. Do you have a source for Chinese recipes? All I went by in the past were mostly Allrecipes.com recipes, which are not that authentic.

The chicken stir fries were made on a whim. I just used some sesame sauce, sesame seeds, soy sauce for the cucumber with salt and pepper to taste. The celery one I just used a jar of garlic chili paste added some soy and that was mostly it.

The pork belly one is a recipe I got from Saveur's latest issue, you can probably find the recipe online at their site. It's pretty authentic since they usually try to be.

Axion22

An adaptation of OnkelC's original schnitzel!

30xbvvd.jpg

I had to get rid of some red potatoes and my gf doesn't like peas, so substitutions had to be made. :)

Zyzyxxz

Fried chicken YAY!

Thanks to Beezleboo for the rice flour coating idea! I used the Momofuku technique of steaming the chicken, letting it cool, then frying.

Served with white bread and a spread of edamame (soybeans) wasbi puree.

4582683896_da19710ea9_o.jpg

4582684012_62855d4e44_o.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Zyzyxxz said:
I have an unhealthy obsession with pork belly

That looks absolutely delicious. However, I have a question having never tried pork belly before. The fat has to be more of the soft melt in your mouth variety, instead of the chewy rubbery variety right?

I'm imagining the tender melt in your mouth fat that surrounds a thick piece of bacon. amirite?
If so homerdrool.jpg

numble

RbBrdMan said:
That looks absolutely delicious. However, I have a question having never tried pork belly before. The fat has to be more of the soft melt in your mouth variety, instead of the chewy rubbery variety right?

I'm imagining the tender melt in your mouth fat that surrounds a thick piece of bacon. amirite?
If so homerdrool.jpg
Yep.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
numble said:

I must have it. It will have to be a special meal just for me. My wife loathes fat, will rarely eat bacon unless ultra crispy, spawn of the devil confirmed. :lol

Zyzyxxz said:
Fried chicken YAY!

Thanks to Beezleboo for the rice flour coating idea! I used the Momofuku technique of steaming the chicken, letting it cool, then frying.

Served with white bread and a spread of edamame (soybeans) wasbi puree.

4582683896_da19710ea9_o.jpg

4582684012_62855d4e44_o.jpg

I need that fried chicken recipe!!!

Surfin' and Turfin'

Ribeye steak and shrimp with layered red potatoes and scallops...with a taaaad bit of crumbled bacon and sauteed onion in the cracks for good measure.

242g3le.jpg

2mpfqrt.jpg

fmugzd.jpg

a45q92.jpg

28wgyvk.jpg

Thanks to Zyzyxxz for the inspirational steak posted with maximum sear *bows*

...and for dessert...

Chocolate Cheesecake with Chocolate Godiva Liqueur whipped cream

sou0zk.jpg

23ic8k7.jpg

502qsl.jpg

I may add some shaved white chocolate/white chocolate sauce next time around...

and hot ham that chicken looks good!

Zyzyxxz

Axion22 said:
It looks and sounds tasty. Did you make it?

Yes, pureed blanched in boiling water edamame then add in some wasabi to taste, light soy sauce, pinch of salt, some water to smooth it out.

abstract alien said:
Surfin' and Turfin'

Ribeye steak and shrimp with layered red potatoes and scallops...with a taaaad bit of crumbled bacon and sauteed onion in the cracks for good measure.

Thanks to Zyzyxxz for the inspirational steak posted with maximum sear *bows*

Thanks for the props! Your steak came out much better than mine though. The hassles of being forced to cook with a toaster oven as my primary oven can result in slightly overcooked steaks.

One I get a real oven I'm gonna be cooking my steaks better for sure!

Ferrio

Banned
Since I believe good cocktails are just as good as a good meal and I love making them, I figured I'll start posting any concoctions in this thread I come up with now. I do cook interesting stuff every so often too, but always forget to snap shots.

Anyways, for last night's Cinco De Mayo get together I made this (alot weaker than my normal margaritas due to it being a weekday):

- 2 Measures of Tequila (the cuervo in the back isn't what I use... don't like default cuervo! 100% agave is a must!)
- 1/2 Measure of Triple Sec (cointreau if you have it, or feeling spendy)
- 1/2 Measure of Lime Juice
- 2-3 Measures of Strawberry Nectar
Rimmed the glass with freeze dried strawberry dust.

The actual margarita was really good, but the dust while an interesting concept on paper didn't work that well. It gets sticky too fast and sticks to the rim, which is a real shame. Also trying to get an even coat of the stuff is a pain.

strawberry_rita.jpg

Zyzyxxz

I've always wanted to get into mixed drinks but didn't know where to start or have enough friends to drink them (my guys are lightweights).

So keep em coming!

hitsugi

wow.. really great stuff Zyzyxxz and abstract :D

...I REALLY need to dump the photos from my camera.

also culinary school starting in 9 days so.. incoming photos soon! providing I'm not lazy and take them off the camera :lol

Zyzyxxz

hitsugi said:
wow.. really great stuff Zyzyxxz and abstract :D

...I REALLY need to dump the photos from my camera.

also culinary school starting in 9 days so.. incoming photos soon! providing I'm not lazy and take them off the camera :lol

good luck what school are you attending?

I'm hoping to enroll by next year after I build my cash reserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom