• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake1028

Cosmic Bus said:
Got a 98 on my practical midterm exam tonight: had to make génoise cake, pâte à choux (eclair paste), pastry cream and chocolate ganache mostly from memory. I hate making eclairs, but these surprisingly came out better than ever before.

Now for the written exam tomorrow...

AWESOME!! How did the written go?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Seis de Mayo! Homemade gorditas and a fine Mexican cerveza!

gordita.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Seis de Mayo! Homemade gorditas and a fine Mexican cerveza!

A day late for Cinco de Mayo, but I made Mexican tonight, too: slow-roasted pork in orange juice and ancho, shredded and tossed into some homemade corn tortillas with avocado-yogurt sauce, slivered radishes and grilled onions. Didn't take any pictures. :\

Gloomfire said:
AWESOME!! How did the written go?

I'll know on Monday, but I'm not expecting a very good grade on that one. It's been, like, fourteen years since I've had to take a written test, and it was a combination of unpreparedness and my brain simply not working like it used to.

numble

abstract alien said:
Surfin' and Turfin'

Ribeye steak and shrimp with layered red potatoes and scallops...with a taaaad bit of crumbled bacon and sauteed onion in the cracks for good measure./QUOTE]
Recipe for the cake?

Zyzyxxz

Tonight I got a plate of beef ribeye medallions over a bed of sauteed oyster mushroom and onions deglazed with red wine. This time the beef was correctly cooked to medium rare.

4585643353_d86cbf5772_o.jpg

Ben Pierce said:
What part of TN? I live in TN, too, and I'd like to try that stuff out

I live in DeKalb. Close to Center Hill Lake. Where are you?

Edit: I got the crab meat at one of the grocery stores here. Either Food Lion or Walmart. Can't remember which one it was.

ChryZ said:
Fantastic food, plating and photos. Mad props!
Mucho appreciation!

numble said:
Recipe for the cake?
Crust

1 1/2 cups - Chocolate Teddy Grahams(crush to oblivion)
2 tablespoons - Sugar
6 tablespoons - melted butter
small pinch of salt

Filling

9oz - Semisweet Chocolate (melted)
3 1/2 8oz packs - Cream cheese
1 1/2 cups - Sour Cream
5 large Eggs
2 cups - Sugar
2 tablespoons - Vanilla Extract(or one vanilla bean)

- Bake the crust for about 15 - 20 minutes at 325, then let cool.

- Beat the hell out of the filling, then pour into crust and bake in a *water bath on 325 for 1 hour. After an hour, open the oven and check on things to make sure its ok. The cake should right above the springform pan, but dont fret, its all going smoothly. Turn the oven off, but let the cake sit in the falling heat for another hour. Do not open the oven door during this time.

- After wards, just take it out and put it in the fridge to set for at least 8 hours, though overnight is better. Don't unlatch the spring form pan until after this is done. Then....eat up! :D I know it sounds a bit wordy and drawn out, but it doesn't really take long at all, I promise.

*Grab an oven safe dish or tray with sides big enough to set the spring form pan in. Boil some water and pour it into the dish/tray until it is about a quarter of the way up the spring form pan. Don't do this until you have set both the tray and spring form in the over, to prevent spilling boiling water on yourself. This would not be good :^/

Zyzyxxz said:
Tonight I got a plate of beef ribeye medallions over a bed of sauteed oyster mushroom and onions deglazed with red wine. This time the beef was correctly cooked to medium rare.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4585643353_d86cbf5772_o.jpg
Mmmm, sauteed mushrooms and onions are like my best friends. Looks tasty!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
My girl friend is getting started on mixed drinks. We're trying my uncles margarita recipe which consists of cuervo gold tequila and cointreau. We need to buy margarita glasses, though... I'm more of a wine drinker really. Anyone else enjoy wine?

I made some Oatmeal Raisin Dark Chocolate Chunk cookies for my mom for Mother's Day. The picture isn't great but the cookies are pretty damn good if I may toot my own horn

6zrqf6.jpg

numble

Zyzyxxz said:
The hassles of being forced to cook with a toaster oven as my primary oven can result in slightly overcooked steaks.

One I get a real oven I'm gonna be cooking my steaks better for sure!
Have you tried other oven-type activities with your toaster oven, and how has it fared?

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
Have you tried other oven-type activities with your toaster oven, and how has it fared?

I have some old Oster brand one and it depends.

I'm surprised at what I'v been able to achieve but there are some hefty limitations.

Baking bread = NEVER, temperature control is just too hard since the glass door can let alot of heat out.

Finishing steaks = works decent but get your instant-read thermometer ready

Baking cookies = not bad but temperature control can be finicky.

Baking pork bellies to tenderness = worked out pretty decently

For my 21st Birthday my girl offered to cook me anything of my wildest dreams, so that lead to the cooking of a steak and Guiness pie :D

First we caught our meat
dljmsz.jpg

Here was the pie mixture which was slow cooked for over three hours. It included braising steak, a whole load of proper Guiness, carrots, shallots and celery and garlic.
qy8e8o.jpg

My girlfriend hard at work baking
b7fark.jpg

Me hard at work, watching her bake
9lapdu.jpg

Finally the finished pie, we also had too much mixture so we made a baby pie too. The potato gratin was not home made i'm afraid :lol (she says not her fault, just my greed in wanting more lol)
2im3pro.jpg

Here is the final result, delicious home baked pie with potato gratin and peas... such a good birthday meal mmmm.
2e651yg.jpg

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
ICYICYMCSHAKE said:
For my 21st Birthday my girl offered to cook me anything of my wildest dreams, so that lead to the cooking of a steak and Guiness pie :D

First we caught our meat
dljmsz.jpg

you ate the cat :O

Maklershed said:
Are you a UK Gaffer? And your girlfriend didn't put that Metacam in the pie did she? :lol

Thankfully no, its for the cat... and no we did'nt eat him...yet :lol :lol

Yeah I'm from the Uk, how did you guess?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ICYICYMCSHAKE said:
Thankfully no, its for the cat... and no we did'nt eat him...yet :lol :lol

Yeah I'm from the Uk, how did you guess?
Steak and Guinness pie was a dead giveaway :lol

great pictorial, though, thanks for sharing!

ICYICYMCSHAKE said:
Shit...that sound and looks freakin awesome :lol

ChryZ said:
Something greek today:

Oven roasted tomato sauce with baked feta, ouzo flambéed shrimps and scallions :D
Damn, talk about divine...

hitsugi

Zyzyxxz said:
good luck what school are you attending?

I'm hoping to enroll by next year after I build my cash reserves.

thanks :D I'm attending the cordon bleu in pasadena :D financial aid really worked out for me this year so I can finally attend.

however - I need a P/T job asap x.x it's really stressing me out but that's the price you pay for moving out and going to school..

getting a kitchen job seems impossible soooo yeah. I'll need all the luck I can get to keep my head above water here

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
ICYICYMCSHAKE said:

I've had a chocolate Guinness cake before that was fantastic; would've made a nice end to your birthday meal!

Pic taking failed tonight, due to the kitchen temp foiling my plans for a more friendly shot.

Panini Pizza tonight:

Manchego

And some nifty Cajun seasoning oriented crackers.

This was, I think, my first Sheep's milk cheese. It didn't melt that well, though nowhere near as bad as some. Kind oily too. But the main thing was the odd "sweet" taste it had to it----don't think I've prior ran into that attribute.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Decided to try my hand at making some of the difficult French macarons that are so popular with food bloggers these days. They came out okay, I guess, but my batter was a little too thick and most of them came out with peaks on top -- they're supposed to be relatively smooth -- but part of the blame falls on my piping technique. Surprisingly, though, I got the "feet" (the crispier portion on the bottoms before the tops billow up a bit) on the cookies many bakers have trouble creating. My tops also had some cracking, which isn't supposed to happen, but the texture was correct: like a delicate meringue outside, chewy and slightly moist inside.

Chocolate macarons with hazelnut coffee buttercream:

4590014283_a3ab60ab94_o.jpg

4590014333_19154e240d_o.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The "ruptured" bases are supposed to happen, so that's good, but the peaks just make it hard for the finished sandwiches to sit upright. I used a pairing knife to smooth out the bottom cookies. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I NEED SCISSORS said:
No offence to anyone, but the macro function of a camera can make anything look good :/
appetizing maybe, but not good per se. it just helps the presentation of already good food.
example:
smallP1020819.jpg

Since it's Mother's Day we bought 80lbs of Live Crawfish. My dad made this.

29495_938554552225_23441808_52779049_7263504_n.jpg

I made this ice cake with stuff from the store since I'm no Cook :lol

But it's HG Coffee Ice Cream > Chocolate Cake > Cookies N Creme Ice Cream > Oreo Crust.

31145_938550056235_23441808_52778856_1350734_n.jpg

it looked better before it melted.

totowhoa

Banned
Jesus Christ, 80 lbs? Big family? Looks good though... especially dessert. Crawfish is one of the few common aquatic animals I have yet to try. I love shellfish though, so I'll be excited when I get the chance. Need to just pick some up and give it a whirl one of these days.

DMPrince said:

But it's HG Coffee Ice Cream > Chocolate Cake > Cookies N Creme Ice Cream > Oreo Crust.
I could really go for some of this right now...

Cosmic Bus said:
Chocolate macarons with hazelnut coffee buttercream:

4590014283_a3ab60ab94_o.jpg

4590014333_19154e240d_o.jpg
How awesome are these things? Damn awesome I'd say. They really do give me the urge to call them Dragon Quest-ers :D

Zoe

DMPrince said:

How do you get the ice cream on top of the cake without making a mess?

Zoe said:
How do you get the ice cream on top of the cake without making a mess?
Put the ice cream in the microwave (Or let it stand outside for a bit) so it's spreadable and then i just refroze it. This one I didn't want much cake because the coffee ice cream was too good :lol. but i did another one for my mom which used the cookies N Creame which had like 1/2" of cake.

luoapp

DMPrince said:
Since it's Mother's Day we bought 80lbs of Live Crawfish. My dad made this.

drooling on the crawfish, and 80lb of goodness? Where do you live? I like crawfish more than lobster.

Actually made something tonight. Haven't really had time to cook much lately. :X Trader Joes had eggplants on sale though, we had tomatoes in the fridge, our basil is in dire need of being pruned and I had a huge craving for mozzarella so it only seemed right that we have eggplant parmigiana tonight.

32076_668757358338_60710639_36921595_5935976_n.jpg

Xabora

theusedversion said:
Thought I would share this simple recipe. Kind of just made it up since I couldn't find one recipe that I liked.

Crab Salad Sandwich

Ingredients:
  • 16oz Can of Crab Meat
  • 1/4 Cup of Celery
  • 1/4 Cup of Sweet Onion
  • 1/4 Cup of Mayonaise (You can use a more to suit your taste if needed)
  • 1 Teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning

Combine all ingredients. Apply generously to your favorite bread (toasted or not) and top with Boston Lettuce and a slice of tomato.

Probably makes 4-6 servings.

Note: I intended to dice up some red pepper and dill pickle to put in there but I forgot those items when I went to the store. It might have been too much if I had though. Crab meat has such a delicate flavor that you don't want to overpower it.

Sorry I didn't take a pic. I was so hungry that I didn't even think about it. I will make sure to take one tonight when I will undoubtedly have another.

95688b.jpg

This is the crab meat I used. It was $9.99 at my local grocery store. Probably overpriced but I live in Tennessee.
Thanks for this Recipe!
Adding the stuff for my list. :D

CrystalGemini said:
Actually made something tonight. Haven't really had time to cook much lately. :X Trader Joes had eggplants on sale though, we had tomatoes in the fridge, our basil is in dire need of being pruned and I had a huge craving for mozzarella so it only seemed right that we have eggplant parmigiana tonight.
One of those simple combinations where you can taste every single ingredient clearly. Looks completely awesome, nice work there my friend. Presentation is uncluttered and crisp as well, good stuff indeed.

Flo_Evans

Been banned for a bit so I am going to bomb this thread!

Thick cut porksteaks from my favorite (best in St. Louis voted multiple times) butcher.

2zgi1l1.jpg

Salsiccia ground fresh that morning from the same place.

15czrev.jpg

Pulled pork sandwich with egg from some coffee shop.

20z4duq.jpg

Flank steak and chicken kabobs.

f3b793.jpg

Short? Spare? ribs. Wife bought these on sale, after 4 hours in my custom spice rub they where amazing! I like pork so sue me.

i1h9x2.jpg

KFC double down... gross.

4vp79e.jpg

Sometimes you just need a deep fried alaskan pollock sandwich...

2jdnhio.jpg

Sometimes you need some awesome chicken tacos. :D

1qk1t3.jpg

Happy cooking/eating everyone! I might have some more from my real camera latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom