• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

OnkelC said:
welcome back and thanks for the pics! That you in the double down pic?

Hell no, I ate my chicken in normal form like a man. That is my brother. That was actually his 2nd double down, so I had to take a pic. Then he starts screaming "don't upload that anywhere my wife will kill me!" :lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I just got finished making the Momofuku fried chicken.

Wow. Every crackly, unnaturally crispy crunchy bite I take puts me into a fit of giggles like a prepubescent boy looking at his first set of cans.

And that's without the so called "octo vin". Wanted a control, unmarred by anything. Now I can play with it... and how I shall.

ShinAmano

Any Burger wizards out there? I am having a cookout this weekend and want to have some pretty kick ass burgers...

I usually go with adding this to the beef:
chopped onions, jalepeno and garlic
some worcestershire sauce
some breadcrumbs

Sound good? Any improvements/suggestions? Thanks.

SnakeXs

None of that, just good beef, 80:20 ratio, good salt, and a bit of pepper.

And definitely no breadcrumbs. You're making burgers, not meatballs.

The aromatics can go on top, or in an aioli or something.

Zyzyxxz

SnakeXs said:
I just got finished making the Momofuku fried chicken.

Wow. Every crackly, unnaturally crispy crunchy bite I take puts me into a fit of giggles like a prepubescent boy looking at his first set of cans.

And that's without the so called "octo vin". Wanted a control, unmarred by anything. Now I can play with it... and how I shall.

Octo vin is one of the greatest concoctions I've ever had with fried chicken! It's like they were made for each other!

I've also use the steaming and frying method with chicken wings and then tossed them in octo vin, works very well too!

Alucrid

Banned
IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Next time I need to turn the pan upside down while it cools so that the sauce doesn't form a layer on top of the cake. Also need to make the icing thicker.

SnakeXs

Zyzyxxz said:
Octo vin is one of the greatest concoctions I've ever had with fried chicken! It's like they were made for each other!

I've also use the steaming and frying method with chicken wings and then tossed them in octo vin, works very well too!

I've heard of how great it is. Next time, I assure you, it will be made, and fried chicken will be briskly tossed in it...

...maybe I should go get another chicken right now and start a brinin'...

Flo_Evans

SnakeXs said:
None of that, just good beef, 80:20 ratio, good salt, and a bit of pepper.

And definitely no breadcrumbs. You're making burgers, not meatballs.

The aromatics can go on top, or in an aioli or something.

I agree, keep it simple, let the person choose the toppings.

I put worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper, a touch of garlic. I think the garlic benefits from being on the grill, just mix it in before hand don't sprinkle on top or it will burn. Sometimes I will add dried onion flakes but not diced. Too big and meatloafy when you do that.

Davedough

Over Mothers Day weekend, I grilled my dry rub ribs. I dont have a picture of the final product, but here's the prep.

1o92bs.jpg

These ribs are fantastic and here's the recipe in case anyone wants to try them.

Heat your grill to low heat and you will be cooking on the 2nd shelf, not over direct heat. If you dont have a 2nd shelf, figure out a way to cook them without direct heat. You want to slow cook them or they'll get tough. Also, apply the dry rub the night before so they'll marinate. These ribs are a 3 step process.

Dry Rub (will cover 3 racks of ribs)- Night before.

4 teaspoons Sea Salt
4 teaspoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons paprika (if you want to substitute Hungarian paprika for spice, by all means)
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Mix all those spices together and prepare to get dirty. Rub the spices deep into the meet and cover all angles. When done, wrap the meat in freezer (butcher's) paper and celophane then refrigerate overnight.

Upon cooking, heat grill to low as mentioned before and prep the second shelf for cooking. I like to apply a tiny bit of oil to the shelf to keep the ribs from sticking too much but its not entirely necessary. Put the ribs on the grill and shut the lid. Every 10 minutes for the next hour, you'll be applying a mop sauce.

Mop Sauce (Applied every 10 minutes generously to ribs for 1 hour)

3 cups Apple Cider
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce.

Once you've gone an hour with the mop sauce and have done it every 10 minutes (to keep the meat moist and add flavor) its time to mix your glaze.

Over low heat on the stove, combine in a pot the following:

Glaze

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons whiskey

Cook them together just until the sugar begins to melt and you see a nice viscous liquid in your pan. Go to the grill and apply the glaze over your ribs trying to cover every part of them. Close the lid again and let them cook for an additional 10 minutes. The glaze will have hardened then. Cut them up and enjoy. (BTW... if you dont notice at least 1/4 inch of bone protruding where the meat has shrunk, your ribs aren't done yet)

Those are my ribs. Everyone who's had them loves them. Try them, you will too =)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I NEED SCISSORS said:
No offence to anyone, but the macro function of a camera can make anything look good :/

Hey, I have a six-year old camera; macro is about the only way anything looks decent!

4594867702_9eff12f0c6_o.jpg

Natetan

Cosmic Bus said:
Decided to try my hand at making some of the difficult French macarons that are so popular with food bloggers these days. They came out okay, I guess, but my batter was a little too thick and most of them came out with peaks on top -- they're supposed to be relatively smooth -- but part of the blame falls on my piping technique. Surprisingly, though, I got the "feet" (the crispier portion on the bottoms before the tops billow up a bit) on the cookies many bakers have trouble creating. My tops also had some cracking, which isn't supposed to happen, but the texture was correct: like a delicate meringue outside, chewy and slightly moist inside.

I guess macarons aren't that common in the US? I love them sooo much. Pistachio macarons are like the best thing ever.

Zyzyxxz

Natetan said:
I guess macarons aren't that common in the US? I love them sooo much. Pistachio macarons are like the best thing ever.

only more recently have macaroons become more widespread.

I suppose chicks like the "cute" look and colorful-ness to them but I've started seeing it alot more recently.

Natetan

sorry no pictures, but i went traveling in se asia recently, and I thought I would talk about some of the food I had.

First went to vietnam. Food was good. It's pretty cool as the french influence is somewhat still around. You can see baguettes everywhere and they are some of the best I've had:light and airy never doughy, etc. I had Pho for breakfast at the hotel every morning. so good. I also had the Banh Xeo (vietnamese pancake), which was kind of disappointing (I used to eat it a lot at a vietnamese resturant when I was a kid). We had some really awesome seafood with tamarind sauce. Tamarind sauce is so delicious. We looked everywhere and no one had heard of it. The cooks said they always prepare it themselves. I would like to learn how to make tamarind sauce. Lots of nice spring rolls too of course.

Next was cambodia. It was a little disappointing. They had something that was similar to pho, but was made with a different type of noodle, and generally not as tasty. If anyone has any familiarity with cambodian food, I'd like to get a better grasp on what the cuisine is all about, because it really helps to enjoy the food.

Next was Laos. By the time I got to here however, I had really bad food poisoning and could barely eat anything unfortunately. I did have some really wonderful food at our hotel; minced fish in bamboo leaves was very nice. There was also a local stew named for the city we were in (Luang Prahbang). Had lemongrass, some local mushrooms, fish, and other stuff. Itwas quite nice!

And of course throughout the whole journey was the tropical fruit: dragon fruit, mango, papaya, mangosteen, soursop, tamarind, etc. I'm not a big fruit person, but I made sure to eat some of it. I had many mango drinks.

I made an intersting salad yesterday. I julienned some red pepper and a whole bamboo shoot and mixed it with some crumbled tofu. For another dish I simmered cabbage and mushrooms together and then sliced up some tuna sashima to dip in wasabi, etc.

taku

Natetan said:
asian food
Sounds like quite the experience!

I just got back from Stockholm where me and my girl found the best place for dimsum/dumplings ever. It's in Old Town (Gamla Stan) if anyone's interested..
dimsum.jpg
dimsum_height.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
taku said:
Sounds like quite the experience!

I just got back from Stockholm where me and my girl found the best place for dimsum/dumplings ever. It's in Old Town (Gamla Stan) if anyone's interested..
dimsum.jpg
dimsum_height.jpg

What's it called?

taku

Keen said:
What's it called?
When we first heard of this place it was called Aroydee but they've moved since to another restaurant in Old Town which they've probably taken over since they didn't bother to change the name of it. They are now located at Tyska Brinken 36, restaurants name is Shogun.

As per usual, you have to ask for the dimsum menu or you'll just get the usual tourist menu from the staff!

taku

CrystalGemini said:
It's a Japanese restaurant that serves dimsum? Is it like the restaurants in Japantown, SF where most of the staff is Cantonese? :lol
Haha, not quite. As I said before, they just moved into another place and didn't change the name of the restaurant they took over. So yeah, it's kind of weird, the staff is chinese and this new restaurant is clotted with japanese atmosphere all around..

Razorwind

The dim sum looks very very authentic indeed, looks comparable to the ones in Hong Kong...
I think dim sum is the only food we can only show pictures here, but totally cant replicate it at home >.< Takes hell lot of practice....

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
taku said:
Haha, not quite. As I said before, they just moved into another place and didn't change the name of the restaurant they took over. So yeah, it's kind of weird, the staff is chinese and this new restaurant is clotted with japanese atmosphere all around..

Ah thanks, I've walked past that place several times but never eaten there. There are a couple of places that serve more authentic cuisine, but as you say, you have to ask for them.

A friend ate crispy pig intestines at a place nearby, not sure about that one... :D

ShinAmano

So I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask in. I am in the market for a new grill. I have a friend who can hook up a Large Big Green Egg and Nest brand new for $590. I love the idea of the Egg but I am just not sure about spending that much on a grill...is it worth it?

I have been looking at this which is a dual gas and charcoal grill for the benefit of having both options available and a huge amount of cooking space.

Any thoughts or opinions?

BTW thanks for the comments on the burgers...I plan to toss them on whichever grill I go with this weekend.

Flo_Evans

ShinAmano said:
So I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask in. I am in the market for a new grill. I have a friend who can hook up a Large Big Green Egg and Nest brand new for $590. I love the idea of the Egg but I am just not sure about spending that much on a grill...is it worth it?

I have been looking at this which is a dual gas and charcoal grill for the benefit of having both options available and a huge amount of cooking space.

BTW thanks for the comments on the burgers...I plan to toss them on whichever grill I go with this weekend.

It to me is a personal preference. I have a nice propane grill that I've had for the last 10 years. Ducane... they are great. See pics earlier. Now some "purists" will scoff that it doesn't get hot enough. BS IMHO. If I want to sear I will do it in cast iron on the stove. Some will say you don't get that charcoal flavor! BS. You can get smoke chips and burn them that taste 10x better than the shit charcoal you buy at the store.

Propane is great, cheap, and clean. I will add whatever flavor/smoke on my own I don't need it from my fuel.

Get what you like and learn to control the temp. Biggest noob grilling mistake is too hot/cold of a fire.

DonCuco

ShinAmano said:

A large Big Green Egg with a nest at $590 is a steal. Nothing compares to meats cooked on charcoal grills/smokers. Just my 2 cents.

ShinAmano

DonCuco said:
A large Big Green Egg with a nest at $590 is a steal. Nothing compares to meats cooked on charcoal grills/smokers. Just my 2 cents.
Have you used an egg before?

Edit: I am getting a $578 price now ;)

Flo_Evans

Pork tenderloin at my favorite restaurant.

344350n.jpg

apps

t5hcwo.jpg

They have a glass floor peering down into their wine cellar...

aakqv6.jpg

That contains the best prosciutto I have ever had... and some wine and stuff.

33e4zlj.jpg

My porksteaks after they are done.

68qwk7.jpg

St. Patricks day?

ajqqo3.jpg

Cheese!

2epr18h.jpg

Pineapple upside down cake

309o86t.jpg

I didn't make this but I know the person that did. Very talented baker.

ayn8kg.jpg

Fast Eddies Bon-Air... you may have heard of this place from food network. GO THERE IF YOU LIKE CHEAP FAST GOOD FOOD!

jrsljb.jpg

Thats all I got for now! Enjoy!

Xelinis

I haven't exercised my baking skills in a while so I decided to make cookies this past weekend.

2 Sticks of Butter, browned
1 1/2 Cups of Dark Brown Sugar
2 1/4 Cups Unbleached Bread Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 Eggs + 1 Egg Yolk
2 tbl. Milk
2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Chips of any kind, amount at your discretion (in my case, A LOT of white chocolate :D)

I did not chill the dough beforehand so they cooked fairly quickly; I'm sad to say that I burned the first batch. The rest turned out perfect after 7-8 minutes @ 375F. It's been a few days now and they're still incredibly chewy, just the way I like it!

ec719398.jpg

(Apologies for the poor photo quality again, it should be a non-issue once I upgrade my phone next month)

Silkworm

Xelinis said:
I haven't exercised my baking skills in a while so I decided to make cookies this past weekend.

2 Sticks of Butter, browned
1 1/2 Cups of Dark Brown Sugar
2 1/4 Cups Unbleached Bread Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 Eggs + 1 Egg Yolk
2 tbl. Milk
2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Chips of any kind, amount at your discretion (in my case, A LOT of white chocolate :D)

I did not chill the dough beforehand so they cooked fairly quickly; I'm sad to say that I burned the first batch. The rest turned out perfect after 7-8 minutes @ 375F. It's been a few days now and they're still incredibly chewy, just the way I like it!

(Apologies for the poor photo quality again, it should be a non-issue once I upgrade my phone next month)
Ah, I see you used all bread flour. Does that help with the chewy texture? I know the dark brown sugar should help in that regard. I've made cupcakes that use bread flour which gave them a lighter crumb, but I wasn't sure what effect using bread flour would have in a cookie. BTW thanks for sharing your recipe. They look great! :)

Xelinis

The bread flour helps to retain moisture in the final product. The chewiness is mainly due to the molasses content in the dark brown sugar. If I had the chance, I would not mind getting my hands on some muscovado sugar for that purpose alone.

s_muscov.jpg

ChryZ

Korean chili paste, crazy old soybean paste, ginger, garlic, sugared chicken, zucchini, scallions, soju and om nom nom nom:
p1010321.jpg

Pepto

Banned
Xelinis said:
The bread flour helps to retain moisture in the final product. The chewiness is mainly due to the molasses content in the dark brown sugar. If I had the chance, I would not mind getting my hands on some muscovado sugar for that purpose alone.

s_muscov.jpg
Have you tried to use the mix of regular and brown sugar that was in the good eats episode?

Xelinis

Pepto said:
Have you tried to use the mix of regular and brown sugar that was in the good eats episode?

I did but my final recipe yielded better results. A lot of my recipe was originally based on that episode but I tweaked it to make up for the lack of moisture in the browned butter and to provide maximum chewiness through the brown sugar content.

Yes Boss!

Onkel,

My orders beginning for fall are in Grafenwöhr Germany. Not sure how much time I'll have to cook but at least I'll be in the country for some time to try the cuisine.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Yes Boss! said:
Onkel,

My orders beginning for fall are in Grafenwöhr Germany. Not sure how much time I'll have to cook but at least I'll be in the country for some time to try the cuisine.

Heh, had to google Grafenwöhr:lol . Great spot to spend the autumn.

It's in the middle of Bavaria, so chances are high that you can sample a lot of traditional german cuisine there, like pork roasts, Schnitzel and the like. There are plenty of lakes around the greater area, so the fish dishes are definitely worth a try as well.

It's only about 60 kilometers from the city of Nürnberg, which is the home of the famous Nürnberger Bratwurst. Not to speak of the many bavarian breweries.

Also not far away is the czech republic with the city of Pilsen, which is the namegiver of the "Pilsener Bier"

Shame it's about 500 kilometers from my humble kitchen.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_2177.jpg

Dinner tonight was roasted carrots and red pepper with ginger cous cous and eggplant hummus drizzled with sesame oil and some cilantro.

Would anyone have advice for someone that wants to increase his general cooking knowledge. I figure the best way to improve my cooking skill is to get some cook books and just practice and practice non stop. So for those of you that are clearly better than me at this, is this a good way to go? And would anyone have any suggestions for me on what to use? Or should I just go buy something that looks good?

Zyzyxxz

demosthenes said:
Would anyone have advice for someone that wants to increase his general cooking knowledge. I figure the best way to improve my cooking skill is to get some cook books and just practice and practice non stop. So for those of you that are clearly better than me at this, is this a good way to go? And would anyone have any suggestions for me on what to use? Or should I just go buy something that looks good?

never be afraid to fail, everybody has burnt something and you will continually over time.

Shit now that I work in the industry when I do prep work I try to work as fast as possible but when we get busy ass weeks I gotta do what I can.

Unfortunately I ended up burning a batch of pork bellies that would have served over 100 people. Not only did I waste food I got it pretty bad from the guy in charge of prep work.

I could have become depressed and I was at first since I wasted so much food but mistakes do happen and you just learn from your mistakes.

Ferrio

Banned
Drink for tonight

Ingredients
- 2 measures of tequila
- (varies) Blue Curacao
- Dash of grenadine
- 4 measures Orange/Pineapple juice
- 1 measure of apricot brandy
- Hibiscus flower (or any type of garnish)

I've done this type of drink several times, the ingredients sometime vary (vodka for tequila etc), but the color effect is always achieved. First you wanna lay down a couple crushed ice in the bottle of long fluted glass. Pour a tiny bit of Blue curacao just to have a small layer (this stuff is sweet so don't over do it). Then fill the rest of the glass up with ice. Get a shaker and combine the tequila, orange juice, and brandy and shake. Top the rest of the drink with this. Then take the grenadine and pour a very small amount so it drizzles down and looks like little red veins. Top with a garnish, maraschino cherry and a orange slice works wonders. I had neither here, so I used a edible hibiscus flower i have for cocktails. You should serve quickly as the grenadine quickly will collect at the bottom and ruins the effect.

drink.jpg

drink2.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
never be afraid to fail, everybody has burnt something and you will continually over time.

Shit now that I work in the industry when I do prep work I try to work as fast as possible but when we get busy ass weeks I gotta do what I can.

Unfortunately I ended up burning a batch of pork bellies that would have served over 100 people. Not only did I waste food I got it pretty bad from the guy in charge of prep work.

I could have become depressed and I was at first since I wasted so much food but mistakes do happen and you just learn from your mistakes.

I plan on doing most of my new cooking on the weekends so if I do mess up I'm not hard pressed to get something quick for dinner (mon-thurs) knowing I have work in the morning :lol

But would you say just buy cookbooks that look appealing and practice new stuff non stop?

Zyzyxxz

demosthenes said:
I plan on doing most of my new cooking on the weekends so if I do mess up I'm not hard pressed to get something quick for dinner (mon-thurs) knowing I have work in the morning :lol

But would you say just buy cookbooks that look appealing and practice new stuff non stop?

different people get inspired to cook differently.

For me its all about pictures.

I bought two of Jamie Oliver's books and they are pretty easy going with recipes so I think that his books are good to start with. Then just browse bookstores and see what you like and find what you want to cook.

I have tons of books I have bought, read, and never cooked out of but I am a knowledge seeker and look to improve technique.

Zoe

Yet another crawfish boil...

but I don't eat bugs, so this is mainly all the other dishes :lol

Dirty rice <3
SDC11738.jpg

Red beans & rice
This was made with Camellia red beans and pickled pork which can't be found in Austin
SDC11740.jpg

Pepsi Throwback
SDC11742.jpg

(Okay, not food but I had been wanting to try it :lol)

The star of the show
SDC11748.jpg

Some smoked ribs and sausage... brisket not pictured because it went too fast :(
SDC11756.jpg

Cornbread
SDC11760.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
So tonight I tried doing something I wanted to do for awhile. Deep fried bagels. After boiling them, instead of baking, stick them in a deep frier. Turned out extremely good. Topped with garlic powder+salt == awesome

bagel.jpg

Weekend schedule got all messed up, and the A/C is broken, bah...

But I did enjoy a new Panini Pizza:

Blarney Castle

The package likens it to Gouda...and I can kinda see that. More importantly though, this was the first "spongy" cheese I've ever had---as opposed to the usual crumbly/melty. Melted super well, slim to no oil, great grip on the sauce---just all around great without anything especially blind-taste-test friendly in regards to taste. 3 cheers for the cheapest new cheese I found a Publix last week. First sourced outta Ireland too.

While sweating to death all weekend and forgetting about a pic, I rummaged through a swag bag I got and found a card claiming to be good for a free 60-day trial membership at BJ's. While I we definitely can't afford any monthly memberships, I'd reckon it foolish not to at least explore and raid the place for yet more nifty cheeses and whatever else to stock up on for this 2 month window. Will head up there tomorrow probably as I seek out an Uno's Cheese Take n' Bake to finally try with some Turkey Bacon.

Ferrio said:
So tonight I tried doing something I wanted to do for awhile. Deep fried bagels. After boiling them, instead of baking, stick them in a deep frier. Turned out extremely good. Topped with garlic powder+salt == awesome

bagel.jpg
Nice, I've been experimenting with bagels for the last little while, and was shocked at how good they are. Deep fried with a bit higher sugar content would be decadent :D

Zyzyxxz

More steak! Will probably be the last for a while unless I come across some Wagyu that I simply cannot resist!

NY Strip loin steak cooked medium rare served with a side of sweet potato (yam) fries.

4613232457_ff20fba642_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom