• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just wow, the pics on this page are just amazing. A joy to view seriously...the food, the cars(Bugatti, f yea), and everything else. Tip of the had to you all.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Flo_Evans said:
281hoxy.jpg

Damn I love Caprese, I never even thought of putting it together like this. YOINK!

Flo_Evans

Borgnine said:
Damn I love Caprese, I never even thought of putting it together like this. YOINK!

I think this was from a restaurant... not sure it was my dads photo. Pretty much all of the really good photos are from him. :D

Dartastic

Since I didn't get any suggestions, I just flew off. I made a lemon creme pasta with prosciutto. It had shiitake mushrooms, red and green peppers, and deliciousness through the core. I basically took some peppers, sauteed, them, threw in some chicken stock, lemon zest, mushrooms, a bit of rosemary, cayenne pepper, and some salt and butter. Threw in the cream after it reduced with a little bit of prosciutto, let it reduce more and added lemon juice. It was amazing.

IMG_0052.jpg

This is the finished product. Threw some fresh prosciutto on top. Also had some Bombay Sapphire, Pimm's, and Limeaid. Still drinking it now. :D

IMG_0056.jpg

Silkworm

Dartastic said:
Since I didn't get any suggestions, I just flew off. I made a lemon creme pasta with prosciutto. It had shiitake mushrooms, red and green peppers, and deliciousness through the core. I basically took some peppers, sauteed, them, threw in some chicken stock, lemon zest, mushrooms, a bit of rosemary, cayenne pepper, and some salt and butter. Threw in the cream after it reduced with a little bit of prosciutto, let it reduce more and added lemon juice. It was amazing.

This is the finished product. Threw some fresh prosciutto on top. Also had some Bombay Sapphire, Pimm's, and Limeaid. Still drinking it now. :D
Looks great! Sorry I couldn't offer you a suggestion. I couldn't think of anything particularly healthy so to speak. I did make this recipe recently which isn't too unhealthy and doesn't take too long to prepare, but it does use chicken thighs so that's not helping with regards to fat content ;-)

Chicken Tagine with Fennel and Olives
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/01/chicken_tagine_with_fennel_and_olives

I like when I can use fennel in a recipe :)

Davedough

Went home and made myself a quick, yet delicious lunch. Spinach and cheese Tortellini Alfredo. Details and quasi-recipe below.

1. Take two pots, one for boiling water for the pasta and another for the sauce. In the sauce pan, crush a clove of garlic and about a tablespoon of butter and let it melt/saute for a bit over medium-low heat.

Ingredients include - Shredded Parmesan cheese, heavy whipping cream, butter, garlic, tortellini, seasoned salt, black pepper.

fc8lsy.jpg

2. When the butter is melted and garlic JUST begins to brown, add heavy whipping creme and begin stirring.

2eku8fl.jpg

3. As you notice the cream being to heat up, add seasoned salt and pepper to taste. Stir constantly to avoid sticking.

2ika4g2.jpg

4. Stir in the seasoning mixture and then begin adding handfulls of parmesan cheese to the mix and continue stirring. Add cheese slowly to give each new addition a chance to melt.

25p45ms.jpg

5. I add about 3/4 of the container of shredded cheese and give it time to melt into the sauce. You'll notice its got a good consistency by simply pulling the contents from the bottom of the pan to see if its just sauce or if there are still cheese flakes there. I often turn up my heat to a solid medium to help speed this along, but stirring is crucial at this point. Some parmesan mixtures are more waxy than others and take longer to melt. Either way, by the time you get here, your water should be good and boiling, so add the tortellini. They usually only need about 4-6 minutes to become perfect consistency.

14sfql3.jpg

6. After 4-6 minutes when all the tortellini are bloated and floating (dont wait too long or they get soggy), your cheese should be fully melted into the sauce and you're ready to drain the pasta and apply your sauce over the top.

2jakdw8.jpg

Its not the prettiest dish like most here, but its one of the most delicious, I'll guarantee. And yes, these were taken with a phone, so sorry for the pic quality. Bon Appetit

Dascu

jamieson87 said:
Mr Onkel, what is the red dish in the below picture? Looks sublime -

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/Travels/IMG_0312_DxO1024x768.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Looks like Currywurst.

TheFatOne

I have been baking a ton the last two weeks and I figured out that I don't like mixing by hand. I am looking for a stand mixer. Can anyone recommend a stand mixer that won't break the bank. I am looking for something under 100$.

Flo_Evans

TheFatOne said:
I have been baking a ton the last two weeks and I figured out that I don't like mixing by hand. I am looking for a stand mixer. Can anyone recommend a stand mixer that won't break the bank. I am looking for something under 100$.

Spend the extra and get a kitchenaid... you will pass it down to your children. a $100 mixer will break in a few years.

Zyzyxxz

Onkel is each cheese from the nation of the flag? Can't tell since they all look so similar.

Anyway my contribution, haven't had much time to cook due to work.

Longanisa sausage (it's a filipino sweet sausage with Spanish roots) and trumpet mushrooms
4648246345_4258495a08_b.jpg

Swai filets fried in olive oil

4648861130_e7f32c0842_b.jpg

At it again on a Saturday night, tis Panini Pizza time!

This week: Piave Mezzano

It....is just nice in general---no distinguishing features outside of just being tasty and melting well. I did have a new "seasoning" to try this time around which worked out pretty well and is addictive in general when eaten as actually intended----thanks random food section in Marshall's! :lol

eijkep.jpg

szxx86.jpg

Next week: I begin raiding BJ's, a members only place, of all that they have uniquely unto themselves----making fine use of that 2 month free trial membership I got thanks to the local charity food fair awhile back. Mwahahaha!

Zoe

Made our way through the French Quarter today...

Starting off with a 1 lb burger at Yo Mama's
SDC11844.jpg

(my puny half lb in the back)
Not pictured is the baked potato that all burgers come with

Then over to Pat O'Briens for some hurricanes
SDC11854.jpg

And finally, topped it all off with some beignets
SDC11860.jpg

We cheated and went to the Metarie location. It was too damn hot and our parking ran out right before

Went to the book store to find some cook books and they were pretty disappointing. A lot of them show you how to cook something but barely give an explanation on the techniques used.

Found a great book on seafood which not only showed recipes but also had detailed instructions of prepping different types of seafood. Forgot the god damn name though. Probably gonna pick that up or Ad Hoc at home(Keller).

Zyzyxxz

haven't done much cooking worth taking pics of at least for my standards.

Next weekend I may have something to show since I may be partially catering for a baby shower.

Made some of the Barefoot Contessa's Peanut Butter and Jelly bars. They're awesome but I feel like Willford Brimley is watching me from the shadows, ringing his hands and saying "good ... good".

My camera is with my parents in Florida so unfortunately I can't take pictures so here's a visual approximation:

post_1492152_1237307627_med.jpg

Flo_Evans

ummm ribs.
DSC_0060.jpg

rub. mostly brown sugar. :D
DSC_0064.jpg

on the ribs, soak in overnight.
DSC_0066.jpg

Make some sishkabobs while waiting.
DSC_0068.jpg

one hour in.
DSC_0113.jpg

basting action
DSC_0130.gif

looking good
DSC_0143.jpg

Finishing glaze, more brown sugar, BBQ sauce, mustard
DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

make some bacon while waiting...
IMG_5540.jpg

day2, porksteaks
IMG_5543.jpg

IMG_5549.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

IMG_5551.jpg

IMG_5554.jpg

IMG_5559.jpg

ah, some of those didn't resize right... :lol enjoy the jumbo.

Easy_G

So this is my second attempt at making my grandma's pasta sauce. The recipe she left us isn't exact and full of the typical incomplete directions that any good recipe has ("cook until it's done"). My first iteration was too chunky. Turns out while she wrote to only cook it for 45 minutes, she typically cooked it the better part of a day. This time through I cooked it about 2.5 hours total, but I also accidentally added too much tomato. Her sauce had very little tomato in it. This still turned out amazing, but not quite like hers. Anyway, here are the pics!

Some prep. Doesn't show the mushrooms.
4662172070_1ecef68915.jpg

All the veggies (sweet onion, carrot, celery, mushroom)
4662173018_1f96c30a4c.jpg

Add some ground beef.
4661553641_85673dd615.jpg

Add some mild italian sausage (aka the money shot)
4662175070_57ed5f181e.jpg

In goes the tomato (about 50% more than I should have added, oops)
4661555575_e93f16354a.jpg

The start of the cooking process.
4662171062_eebcd84934.jpg

And then into a holding tank for enjoyment over the next few days. Will taste better with age, but also, it was 10pm by the time I finished, and I already had my dinner.
4662596814_00eb360737.jpg

This turned out a bit different from hers, but still the best sauce I've ever made. The main reason is the classic grandmother trick of using plenty of fat. She never claimed it was healthy.

Easy_G said:
So this is my second attempt at making my grandma's pasta sauce. The recipe she left us isn't exact and full of the typical incomplete directions that any good recipe has ("cook until it's done"). My first iteration was too chunky. Turns out while she wrote to only cook it for 45 minutes, she typically cooked it the better part of a day. This time through I cooked it about 2.5 hours total, but I also accidentally added too much tomato. Her sauce had very little tomato in it. This still turned out amazing, but not quite like hers. Anyway, here are the pics!
I still don't understand how they did this sort of thing with baked items such as cakes and what not, I watch my great aunt do this with some new triple layered german chocolate cake she had been wanting to make. She just went in the kitchen and started throwing things together and never measure one thing. Nothing, At all. And it was the best german chocolate cake I had ever had in my life. They were on a different level with their stuff :lol

Good lookin' sauce right there though. Just looks like it has a ton of home style flavor to it.

Zyzyxxz

abstract alien said:
I still don't understand how they did this sort of thing with baked items such as cakes and what not, I watch my great aunt do this with some new triple layered german chocolate cake she had been wanting to make. She just went in the kitchen and started throwing things together and never measure one thing. Nothing, At all. And it was the best german chocolate cake I had ever had in my life. They were on a different level with their stuff :lol

Good lookin' sauce right there though. Just looks like it has a ton of home style flavor to it.

It's crazy how some grandma's and aunties can bake well without measuring considering baking is an exact science unlike cooking.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
4665442334_aa51b1e804_b.jpg

Gingersnap-crusted eggplant layered with roasted yellow pepper and avocado cream on a bed of Israeli couscous and tomato, with some green onion, cilantro and olives.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Cosmic Bus said:
4665442334_aa51b1e804_b.jpg

Gingersnap-crusted eggplant layered with roasted yellow pepper and avocado cream on a bed of Israeli couscous and tomato, with some green onion, cilantro and olives.

Hot damn, that looks awesome!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I need an easy chicken breast recipe, guiys. We had leftover rice and beans yesterday and it was chicken day. I couldn't think of anything so I just squeezed some lime juice on the chicken, added salt and pepper and put it in the george foreman. It wasn't a good meal.

Anyone have any good and easy chicken recipes? Perhaps I should just marinate it for an hour before cooking. I have some cuervo gold tequila, will that work?

Zyzyxxz

otake said:
I need an easy chicken breast recipe, guiys. We had leftover rice and beans yesterday and it was chicken day. I couldn't think of anything so I just squeezed some lime juice on the chicken, added salt and pepper and put it in the george foreman. It wasn't a good meal.

Anyone have any good and easy chicken recipes? Perhaps I should just marinate it for an hour before cooking. I have some cuervo gold tequila, will that work?

brine your chicken especially with breast since it has so little fat and dries out easily.

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--381/brining-chicken.asp

Second time grilling completely on my own and wanted to try my hand at tandoori lamb chops. Turned out well (for me :lol ) - definitely room for improvement but I'm really happy that I didn't burn the house or the tree next to my house down. :lol

27976_675848397838_60710639_37128259_5890261_n.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Silkworm said:
Oh, cool info! :) BTW, if you brine chicken, does that preclude marinating it? Or is it okay to marinate after you finish brining? Just wondering, as I'm in the habit of marinating chicken breasts and then throwing them on the George Foreman grill. Thanks!

brining is a process in which you are adding salt to the interior of the chicken muscle fibers. Since salt absorbs moisture it will keep your chicken moist while cooking.

So while you can marinade, just go easier on the salt elements and you will be fine. Depending on the size of the chicken meat a 6-10 hour brine is fine, I like to do overnight and then marinading for another few hours will do you good.

To be honest though these days I don't brine or marinade since I always cook a la minute so I just make sauces to go with it.

Just wanted to chime in and say that Mackerel taste fucking great! I didn't take any photos, but it's been at least 6 years since the last time I got mackerel, and while fishbones are always a downside the taste outweights everything! :D

zulfate

though i dont have pics..here is the greatest thing i have invented:

flour tortilla
hand made hamburger patty

now cook the hamburger and then wrap a large flour tortilla and viola! you can add whatever you like on top

i call it a burrito shot!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
That's pretty much a hamburger burrito/wrap. Place by me has been selling them for, like, ever.

Delicious, but sadly not something you can go patent. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom