• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrystalGemini said:
Second time grilling completely on my own and wanted to try my hand at tandoori lamb chops. Turned out well (for me :lol ) - definitely room for improvement but I'm really happy that I didn't burn the house or the tree next to my house down. :lol
I condone anything with lamb, I even put it in my chili :lol
Good stuff

Pepto said:
Made my first paella today:

:D
I've always wanted to make one of these. Yours looks really good, and makes me want to get cracking on one. I hope you are willing to share, because if not, I'm hitting you with a blue shell and taking it.

mYm|17|

I finally made my own pizza dough last night and I was kinda scared how it would turn out. My worries went away after the pizza cooked in the oven. It came out great.

I just made some more dough for tonight for dinner. It's proofing right now :D

zulfate

SnakeXs said:
That's pretty much a hamburger burrito/wrap. Place by me has been selling them for, like, ever.

Delicious, but sadly not something you can go patent. ;)

i knew it wasn't original, but i was drunk so...but the name has to be mine right: burrito shot?

mYm|17| said:
I finally made my own pizza dough last night and I was kinda scared how it would turn out. My worries went away after the pizza cooked in the oven. It came out great.

I just made some more dough for tonight for dinner. It's proofing right now :D
I need tips, and badly. I've tried it twice, and both times it came out like a stale saltine :^(

CrystalGemini said:
Second time grilling completely on my own and wanted to try my hand at tandoori lamb chops. Turned out well (for me :lol ) - definitely room for improvement but I'm really happy that I didn't burn the house or the tree next to my house down. :lol

27976_675848397838_60710639_37128259_5890261_n.jpg

Did you use an actual Tandoor?

That time again: Panini Pizza!

This week, the first entrant from raiding BJ's: Iberico

xgfmrl.jpg

This stuff tastes FANTASTIC! Quick melt, hardly any oil, strong smell prior and during heating, and a sweet taste somehow more satisfying, though I couldn't say stronger/weaker, than the Manchego.

Next week I'll be raiding Marshall's and BJ's again for more supplies---found some herb cracker things in the former and there's only 2-3 new cheeses left for me at the latter.

What I MAY try otherwise this coming week, is to grab a pre-made Boboli dough(Not doing it if all I can find is Digiornio...not a chance!) or some such to use up the other half of the Iberico I have left as a "proper" pizza so as to keep pace for the next new cheese next weekend instead of hitting up an Uno's DeepDish Take'n'Bake or a Home Run Inn frozen one. Of course, I'd also take the chance to experiment a bit with my various ideas about messing with pizza dough....probably coat it with something or another and observe what happens...mwahaha!

Almost done with the Heinz 57 too, next up is a Cajun sauce found at Marshall's that should taste very different and perhaps add a bit of extra kick to my Saturday doings.

I'm excited.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Tomorrow, I'm making that porkchops and wine sauce again. However, I will be adding guava to the mix. Which bring me to a question: are you guys into wine? Could we have a wine discussion here?

LRB1983

Banned
Espaldita de Cabrito al horno
p4Pcy.jpg

pZwNn.jpg

Grilled baby's goat with potatoes [with white whine, olive oil and some sicilian's spices]

Pepto

Banned
CrystalGemini said:
Nope not at all! I would if I could! :lol I just used a normal charcoal grill.
You could try that Good Eats trick of using a terracotta pot on top of a charcoal grill as a tandoori.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome stuff, everyody!

I got a lot of family troubles at the moment (grave sickness diagnosed at one of the in-laws), so keep it going, please.

Zyzyxxz

Made some braised pork belly in sake and soy sauce, got no pic of the final product but here it is during brining.

4676442242_85f9cd7e0f_b.jpg

Also went out to eat at a popular restaurant called Oinkster, I thought it was pretty decent but by no means living up to the hype of great quality "slow fast food"

pastrami and bbq pulled pork
4676446348_02a8d71704_b.jpg

beje

Banned
Currently cooking:

NkQbc.jpg

Whole penne with natural tomato sauce and salmon

Fake edit: it's ready for tomorrow lunch! the other ration will go directly to the freezer for next week.

otake

And here it is! Pork chops with wine-guava. Sounds weird but, believe me, it's delicious.

4683155838_d06119ea81.jpg

The asparagus were steamed the old fashioned way, over boiling water. The potatoes were lightly salted, little bit of black pepper and parsley. The asparagus have olive oil, salt and pepper. The pork chops were the real treat.

little bit of olive oil with some "I can't believe its not butter" were heated in a pan at medium. The pork chops were seasoned with adobo goya, some black pepper and a bit of garlic. Once the oil was hot through in the chops for 7-9 minutes each side. On the last side, after the 7-9 minutes I added some wine on top. Then used a butter knife to spread some guava on top.

The wine:

4682526675_ae290f7e18.jpg

Three Rivers Syrah from Washington. It's a full bodied red. Only $20.

Axion22

My bar tabs ran a little heavy last week, so I'm eating cheap this week.

Yesterday was chicken breast sandwiches with swiss and avocado on wheat buns.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
One of my few divergences into meat-eating during the month:

4683073619_16af985f29_b.jpg

A burger seasoned with salt, pepper and sage on toasted flat bread with country-style mustard, baby spinach, tomato and fontina cheese. On the side is mashed cauliflower with tumeric and ginger.

Alucrid

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4683073619_16af985f29_b.jpg[IMG]

A burger seasoned with salt, pepper and sage on toasted flat bread with country-style mustard, baby spinach, tomato and fontina cheese. On the side is mashed cauliflower with tumeric and ginger.[/QUOTE]

Your dishes always look so nice that I'd be afraid to touch them.

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4683073619_16af985f29_b.jpg[IMG]

A burger seasoned with salt, pepper and sage on toasted flat bread with country-style mustard, baby spinach, tomato and fontina cheese. On the side is mashed cauliflower with tumeric and ginger.[/QUOTE]

I assumed you were a vegetarian due to the lack of meat in your cooking.

otake

ChryZ said:
You're always doing a stunning job with plating, very nice stuff.

You guys make me feel bad about being too cheap to buy decent plates.

ChryZ

otake said:
You guys make me feel bad about being too cheap to buy decent plates.
The plating is more about the presentation of the food, garnish, etc and not so much about tableware ;)

Flo_Evans

ChryZ said:
The plating is more about the presentation of the food, garnish, etc and not so much about tableware ;)

It doesn't hurt. Where did you get those? I never got plates from my wedding and want a new set.

ShinAmano

So not much to post yet, but I am picking up a Large Big Green Egg in the next few days. I have been putting together a table/stand for it that I will post some pics this weekend.

Anyhow once I get the whole project put together I plan on having lots of things to show in this thread...may start off with a roasted chicken...but I will definitely be doing some pulled pork for Fathers day assuming all the pieces are in place by then.

The table I am putting together will ultimately look similar to this:
cart85.jpg

luoapp

ShinAmano said:
So not much to post yet, but I am picking up a Large Big Green Egg in the next few days. I have been putting together a table/stand for it that I will post some pics this weekend.

Anyhow once I get the whole project put together I plan on having lots of things to show in this thread...may start off with a roasted chicken...but I will definitely be doing some pulled pork for Fathers day assuming all the pieces are in place by then.

The table I am putting together will ultimately look similar to this:
cart85.jpg

Are you building the table yourself? Anyway, a very nice piece.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Flo_Evans said:
It doesn't hurt. Where did you get those? I never got plates from my wedding and want a new set.

Mine were being clearanced at Target for, like, $15. It was a big box of multiple plate sizes, bowls, coffee mugs and silverware that happened to go nicely with my new apartment. Quite a find.

I also have several random little painted sandwich plates that I've picked up for a couple dollars each at various places back home and here in Seattle.

Cosmic Bus said:
4665442334_aa51b1e804_b.jpg

Gingersnap-crusted eggplant layered with roasted yellow pepper and avocado cream on a bed of Israeli couscous and tomato, with some green onion, cilantro and olives.

Could you explain how you prepared the eggplant?
Looks great btw and love the idea of olives with the eggplant and avocado cream.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
Could you explain how you prepared the eggplant?
Looks great btw and love the idea of olives with the eggplant and avocado cream.

I sliced and salted the eggplant, then let it sit for twenty minutes or so to draw out some of the moisture. Meanwhile, bash up some gingersnap cookies (I used triple ginger ones from Trader Joe's because they're spicy and not overly sweet) making sure not to grind them too finely -- you want it around the size of bread crumbs.

Toss the eggplant under the broiler for a couple of minutes on each side before coating them; in the past, I've found if you try to get them entirely cooked on the stovetop, the crust ends up nearly burned. Give the eggplant a moment or two to cool, then coat with the crumbs (with either flour-eggwash-crumb or just eggwash and crumb) and fry in a little olive oil until crisp on both sides.

If you were wondering, the avocado cream is just mashed avocado with some plain yogurt, salt, lemon juice and chopped cilantro.

Zyzyxxz

so a couple things there:

oxtail stew with daikon and carrots.
4688850184_66a536740e_b.jpg

purple yam (ube) fritters, look at all that purple!

4688215969_5227dc4d6d_b.jpg

4688216183_1faa8215fd_b.jpg

and finally I get an oven! One of the burners on top provides 18,000 btus too! Once I finish recycling the rest of those cans and bottles I can earn enough money to finish the rest of the kitchen :lol

4688850684_bd189486dd_b.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That is one impressive oven, and great food to match, congrats on both!
the oxtail stew pic doesn't show up, though.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
That is one impressive oven, and great food to match, congrats on both!
the oxtail stew pic doesn't show up, though.

it does now, I messed up the link.

Once I get this second kitchen done I can finally have plenty of counter space for things like rolling dough and other foods I never had the room for before.

otake

Anyone have an interesting margarita recipe? g/f is off tonight and tomorrow and I want her to do certain things for me.

Flo_Evans

otake said:
Anyone have an interesting margarita recipe? g/f is off tonight and tomorrow and I want her to do certain things for me.

Not sure of the exact mix (can find it if you really need it) but my friend uses Grand Marnier in his margaritas and by god if they are not the most glorious drinks I have ever consumed.

And I don't even like margaritas. :lol

n0b

xf5mw5.jpg

To the guy asking about chicken, lemon and garlic are the magic ingredients. My family always gives it a lemon and garlic rub and then puts them inside and I have yet to taste better roasted chicken.

To transfer that idea to chicken breasts, recently I started doing the garlic/lemon rub, then make slits in the chicken breasts to slide slices of garlic into, then just salt and pepper it pretty generously and stick it in a frying pan with a tiny bit of oil. Pour the remaining lemon juice in the pan while cooking. You can put a little rosemary on the chicken and sautee some onions in the pan while cooking for a little extra flavor.

If you have thick pieces like I had last night (in the picture), wait to flip till the chicken is changing color more than halfway up the side so that the bottom can brown, then flip it and let the other side brown, and then cover it for a bit to make sure the inside cooks through. (You don't want pink on the inside.) This will work with or without skin.

21cbjf8.jpg

Had some red beans and rice and fresh squeezed lemonade for lunch today. (Used the other half of the lemon I used last night on the chicken.)

That time again on a Saturday night---panini pizza!

This time has a new random garlic herb cracker, and the cheese is: Dubliner

2jg1pj8.jpg

A slight sweet taste...but mainly just another all-around really good one that melted fast, wasn't too oils, smelled nice melting, etc.

My other pizza adventure got derailed by 3 grocery stores not having any proper readymade doutghcrusts. As such, Monday afternoon I will contend with one of a pair of frozen doughballs to whip up a "normal" pizza on the old cookie sheet.

Also, I now have a fantastic Cajun BBQ sauce that I will incorporate into the mix now that the Heniz 57 has been finished----I highly recommend people try a bottle out at some point once I reveal it as there was a might fine testrun on some lamb sausage Thursday night.

ShinAmano

So I picked up my Big Green Egg on Saturday and i have stuff to share finally. (Still have not finished my table for the Egg...but give it time.)

Anyhow Day One I grilled some Kabobs (Steak and Pork) and Corn:
4699208917_0e330100e8_b.jpg

Day 2 I did a marinated pork loin (garlic and herb) and roasted red potatoes:
4699841930_2b834fcd3c_b.jpg

Both Cell phone pics because the battery was dead on the camera ;)

otake

ShinAmano said:
So I picked up my Big Green Egg on Saturday and i have stuff to share finally. (Still have not finished my table for the Egg...but give it time.)

Anyhow Day One I grilled some Kabobs (Steak and Pork) and Corn:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1307/4699208917_0e330100e8_b.jpg

Day 2 I did a marinated pork loin (garlic and herb) and roasted red potatoes:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4699841930_2b834fcd3c_b.jpg

Both Cell phone pics because the battery was dead on the camera ;)

I'm pretty jealous of your grill. I bet those cabobs turned out great.

Here is a classic Caribbean dish. 5 points to whoever can name it.

4699235445_d8d44173e4.jpg

So here's what I came up with for a Margarita; half a shot of tequila cuervo gold, half a shot of Cointreau, a full shot of lime juice. It was good.

ShinAmano

otake said:
I'm pretty jealous of your grill. I bet those cabobs turned out great.

Here is a classic Caribbean dish. 5 points to whoever can name it.

So here's what I came up with for a Margarita; half a shot of tequila cuervo gold, half a shot of Cointreau, a full shot of lime juice. It was good.
Yeah...the grill was a nice little treat...something I would have never picked up unless it was for my friend being a distributor for the product (nice discount). Everything so far that has come off it has been great...I am planning on doing a couple chickens this coming weekend...no idea what I have planned for the week though.

All I have on a guess is the obvious...reb beans and ricedont know what is under the onions :lol

As for margaritas...if you can find agave nectar it is a nice little bonus for the frozen drink :)

Axion22

Went to the San Diego County Fair this weekend, got a couple pics.

What would you do for a deep-fried Klondike bar?

UPHNRl.jpg

That's powdered sugar and chocolate sauce on it.
0Ee68l.jpg

2RxIgl.jpg

It kinda tasted like fried ice cream.

Behold the appearance of the first pizza I've ever wrangled from a frozen dough ball after leaving the thing sitting out in a bowl for 6 hours!

aucsr6.jpg

The cheese: Iberico
The bacon: Turkey
Something weird I did to it? Drizzle of a spicy garlic oil lightly spread across the entire surface of the dough before adding the sauce and cheese.

What went wrong? Well, apparently the crust didn't quite rise enough/interior was as depressed as we perhaps should have made it and thus all the excess oil LITERALLY cooked right out of the pizza, onto the cookie sheet, and then largely down into the bottom of the oven itself! Next week, we will try for a deepdish style with the cakepan we've been using to cook the Uno's Deepdish varieties and see if that helps/works.

All told though, probably one of the top "normal" pizzas I've ever had in terms of taste, satisfaction, etc----gremlins aside. I was kinda hoping the spicy garlic oil to be stronger and more dramatic than it was....

funk0ar

ElectricThunder said:
Something weird I did to it? Drizzle of a spicy garlic oil lightly spread across the entire surface of the dough before adding the sauce and cheese.

What went wrong? Well, apparently the crust didn't quite rise enough/interior was as

How is that weird? :lol

I thought this was almost standard. Well maybe not spicy oil, but chopped garlic in oil is the best on pizza. Even just by itself with salt.

So I made OnkelC's tarragon pork tenderloin recipe so etiolate could try it. He thought it was nomtastic! Had some French bread on the side instead of any other starch though - we both can't really take a lot of starchy foods. Thanks again OnkelC! :D

31836_678688516218_60710639_37220593_1139818_n.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CrystalGemini said:
So I made OnkelC's tarragon pork tenderloin recipe so etiolate could try it. He thought it was nomtastic! Had some French bread on the side instead of any other starch though - we both can't really take a lot of starchy foods. Thanks again OnkelC! :D

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs634.snc3/31836_678688516218_60710639_37220593_1139818_n.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]
Thanks! Glad to see the dish works on both sides of the atlantic. Very nice presentation as well.

E3 time is awful for the OT, keep it coming, people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom