• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
funk0ar said:
How is that weird? :lol

I thought this was almost standard. Well maybe not spicy oil, but chopped garlic in oil is the best on pizza. Even just by itself with salt.

Well, such has never came up in any pizza place I've ever eaten at down here in GA, nor any of the frozen's and whatnot. Probably, had things been even more from scratch, I'd have likely sought to knead the oil throughout the dough itself to give each bit a stronger flavor overall. In general, the additions of oils/seasonings/herbs/etc to the dough itself is the other frontier left to me beyond cheeses outside of additional sauces to mix with my beloved Enrico's as well as actual changes to the straight composition of the dough----that'll come a good bit later. The dough ball itself was very lightly covered with some (olive) oil as per the instructions on the box before it had to sit for those hours.

I've yet to decide if the oil will return for the deepdish experiment or not...nor if I'll work in any herb butter per se.

I don't know if I'll get a pic or not(doubtful), but tonight shall finish up the Iberico in the form of Justin Wilson's garlic bread recipe(2 variations on youtube)...with Iberico thrown inside...alongside some potato soup.

datruth29

So, I was wondering if I can get some help on some cooking matters from you wonderful, beautiful experts of tongue-pleasing. Specifically, I want to replace my knives with something new (because my old one's are crappy, and need an upgrade). I need some recommendations on:

1) Chef's Knives
2) Paring Knives
3) Bread Knives

If there's other things I should consider, please feel free to offer some advice. If anybody has good resources that I could go to for information, please share, as that will be greatly appreciated. :)

Zyzyxxz

datruth29 said:
So, I was wondering if I can get some help on some cooking matters from you wonderful, beautiful experts of tongue-pleasing. Specifically, I want to replace my knives with something new (because my old one's are crappy, and need an upgrade). I need some recommendations on:

1) Chef's Knives
2) Paring Knives
3) Bread Knives

If there's other things I should consider, please feel free to offer some advice. If anybody has good resources that I could go to for information, please share, as that will be greatly appreciated. :)

1) I use a Global 8-inch chef's, its great and lightweight and fits my small hands perfectly. What I love about it is the balance. Another one to consider is the Shun chef's knife, can't go wrong with that.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005OL44/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2) I also have a gobal paring knife, its a 3 inch and its very sharp and maintains its edge very well! I don't have a boning knife but for jobs that my chef's is too big for the global paring does very well! I fabricate alot of meat at work, went through a day where I trimmed something like 60 lbs of beef ranchera steak that had shit loads of silverskin, although I was pretty worn out my knife held up well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QV2F9G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

3) bread knives - I don't own one but the problem is you can't really sharpen most of them. So stick to good value priced ones and just replace them when they start getting dull. Victorinox makes great value knives, excellent edge retention at budget prices. I've been planning on getting a bread knife from them for a while now. Oh and with bread knives, size does matter so get as long as possible so you can slice your bread all in one motion.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00093090Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i just moved recently and started a new job/classes at the local college. inevitably with all these new variables in my life, i've been presented with new culinary challenges. the most interesting one, i think, is the issue of breakfast: i get up at 5:30a, and i like to be out the door by 6:30a to have plenty of time before work and school to take a walk and think and listen to music. my roommate is an EMT, and sometimes he has to be at work by 6, which has him up as early as 4:45a.

so, we were forced to ask: what to do for breakfast?

for a long time he was just doing cereal, which is all well and good--i do love me some cereal. i have been microwaving old fashioned rolled oats for ages now, and it's certainly a great breakfast. but he liked oatmeal too, and i could use the extra fifteen minutes it took me to get my oats just right, and so when we came across the idea of cooking oatmeal in a slow cooker, it piqued our interest. the idea of waking up and having the oatmeal ready to go was extremely appealing.

now, the first few times we tried this, there were some hiccups. when you cook oats in a slow cooker, you definitely want to use steel cut oats, and i hadn't quite hammered out exactly how much liquid i needed proportional to two servings of oats. in addition, cooking the oats in the slow cooker without any way to constantly or at least occasionally stir them caused a lot of sticking and browning on the side of the slow cooker. that meant at least one of us was getting gypped, so to speak, on the amount of oats we were getting for breakfast. yes, we were actually concerned about this. yes, we are health nuts. yes, we want our oatmeal damn it.

after a lot of pontificating on this idea, i decided if i put some sort of buffer between the oats and the slow cooker, it might solve the problem somewhat. so, i went all alton brown/chris kimball on that ass and came to the conclusion that if i put the oats and their cooking liquid inside a smaller container--a slow cooker liner, for example--and then submerged that in a water bath, the water would more gently bring the oats to temperature and allow them to release their starches over the night.

my first attempt at this was a huge success. the oats were creamy, and not at all sticking or burnt to the inside of the slow cooker liner. still, someone was getting a bit less than their fair share of oats. if i further modified this method, putting individual servings into small ziplock sandwich bags and letting them float in the hot water overnight, would that work?

the answer is yes. actually, the answer is HELL YES. i take two small sandwich bags, put 80g of steel cut oats in each, 16 oz. of liquid in each (i use 11 oz. water, 5 oz. milk), and put into a water bath in the slow cooker on low overnight. in the morning, instant, ready-made oatmeal, without any cleanup.

and the best part was that we figured this out with our own culinary logic. oatmeal sous-vide? we are the kings of the universe.

Silkworm

datruth29 said:

1) Chef's Knives
2) Paring Knives
3) Bread Knives

I've read good things about Victorinox's chef, paring, and bread knives. I don't have first hand experience with them yet, but I do plan to purchase them at some point. I like the fact that they're not too expensive and thus offer a real good performance for the price. Of course some of the more experienced individuals who post here may have had 1st hand experience with the Victorinox knives and may know of some drawbacks with these knives :)

Some examples are:

Victorinox Fibrox 8 Inch Chef's Knife
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000638D32/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Victorinox Fibrox 4 Inch Paring Knife
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BYJ8U8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Victorinox Fibrox (same one Zyzyxxz linked to)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BYJ8U8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

beelzebozo said:
i just moved recently and started a new job/classes at the local college. inevitably with all these new variables in my life, i've been presented with new culinary challenges. the most interesting one, i think, is the issue of breakfast: i get up at 5:30a, and i like to be out the door by 6:30a to have plenty of time before work and school to take a walk and think and listen to music. my roommate is an EMT, and sometimes he has to be at work by 6, which has him up as early as 4:45a.

for a long time he was just doing cereal, which is all well and good--i do love me some cereal. i have been microwaving old fashioned rolled oats for ages now, and it's certainly a great breakfast. but he liked oatmeal too, and i could use the extra fifteen minutes it took me to get my oats just right, and so when we came across the idea of cooking oatmeal in a slow cooker, it piqued our interest. the idea of waking up and having the oatmeal ready to go was extremely appealing.

now, the first few times we tried this, there were some hiccups. when you cook oats in a slow cooker, you definitely want to use steel cut oats, and i hadn't quite hammered out exactly how much liquid i needed proportional to two servings of oats. in addition, cooking the oats in the slow cooker without any way to constantly or at least occasionally stir them caused a lot of sticking and browning on the side of the slow cooker. that meant at least one of us was getting gypped, so to speak, on the amount of oats we were getting for breakfast. yes, we were actually concerned about this. yes, we are health nuts. yes, we want our oatmeal damn it.

after a lot of pontificating on this idea, i decided if i put some sort of buffer between the oats and the slow cooker, it might solve the problem somewhat. so, i went all alton brown/chris kimball on that ass and came to the conclusion that if i put the oats and their cooking liquid inside a smaller container--a slow cooker liner, for example--and then submerged that in a water bath, the water would more gently bring the oats to temperature and allow them to release their starches over the night.

my first attempt at this was a huge success. the oats were creamy, and not at all sticking or burnt to the inside of the slow cooker liner. still, someone was getting a bit less than their fair share of oats. if i further modified this method, putting individual servings into small ziplock sandwich bags and letting them float in the hot water overnight, would that work?

the answer is yes. actually, the answer is HELL YES. i take two small sandwich bags, put 80g of steel cut oats in each, 16 oz. of liquid in each (i use 11 oz. water, 5 oz. milk), and put into a water bath in the slow cooker on low overnight. in the morning, instant, ready-made oatmeal, without any cleanup.

and the best part was that we figured this out with our own culinary logic. oatmeal sous-vide? we are the kings of the universe.

Wow. Just wow.

Pretty much an unwritten rule that everybody wants pics of your food doings Onkel! :lol

Otherwise: That time again for Panini Pizza night! This week is a rarity: 3 new things all colliding at the same time!

I have a new sauce to work through now that the Heniz 57 is put to rest, and even more special, this is my very first "Cajun" sauce of any stripe.

I give you Jonathan's Q Gourmet Spicy Cajun BBQ:

http://www.qproductsinc.com/spicy.php

This stuff is pretty awesome in general as I mentioned the last time around.

I also have a new cracker "seasoning": Crostini's Herb Parsley

fl9eag.jpg

And of course, this week's latest new cheese: Smoked Butterkase

The result?

2ivoiad.jpg

This was freaking awesome, the BBQ sauce in particular mixed in with my pizza sauce worked incredibly well. The Smoked Butterkase had a rather strong smokey smell when being sliced and whatnot, but upon melting, it became a rather mild smell and VERY mild taste----granted it was a good taste, a quick melt, not oily----just not a terribly distinctive/indicative taste in terms of the smell prior.

Is this the secret to this whole "stinky cheese" sect IronGAF----that they taste fundamentally different/better than their aroma would lead one to believe?

Great little meal tonight, somewhere next week I should manage a pic of the deepdish pizza experiment!

bovo

Have some photos from a while ago, never got round to posting before...

Slow roasted lamb:

Served with mashed veg, and a mint gravy:

Have shown a version of the next meal before, but have been so lacking in cooking meals worth posting, I'll post it anyway!

Pork and apple, again with mash:

ShinAmano

Pretty sad i did not get any pictures, but I did two things over the weekend I was pretty proud of.

1. Friend brought over a 4lb pork tenderloin that we stuffed with swiss and prosciutto...then wrapped in bacon. Tossed it on the egg for a good three hours...was so freaking good...still have about 3lbs left ;)

2. First attempt at a beer can chicken. Used cheap beer (PBR) tossed some rosemary and basil in the can. Did a garlic/sriracha/agave nectar glaze. The only other time I have seen a bird devoured so fast was when walking my huskie in college and it caught a bird in mid flight and downed it in two bites. :lol

Hopefully I can get a few more pics up this weekend and I should be finished with the table for the egg...so that will require something good to toss on the grill. :D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Citrus-sesame glazed scallops on a bed of basil and baby spinach, with a nectarine and grapefruit salad and toasted sourdough points.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo and Cosmic Bus, thanks for sharing. great pics from both of you as usual.

pork and apple make a great combination, my favorite is apples, cut in half and core removed, roasted in a hot skillet and flambeed with a bit of calvados as a side to pork tenderloins.

Gav

beelzebozo said:

This is awesome. I will be trying this tonight.
Thankyou for the research, good sir!

bovo

Zyzyxxz said:
nice pictures!
OnkelC said:
bovo and Cosmic Bus, thanks for sharing. great pics from both of you as usual.

pork and apple make a great combination, my favorite is apples, cut in half and core removed, roasted in a hot skillet and flambeed with a bit of calvados as a side to pork tenderloins.

Thanks! They are both "as seen on tv" meals - first one was Jamie Oliver (I have to say, I made the mint gravy the way he said, but I actually would have prefered as standard gravy and seperate mint sauce - but it was still nice.)

The second one was a Nigel Slater recipe (who I assume is less well known outside the UK). The first time I made the pork and apple recipe was the same week it was shown on TV - thats how good is sounded (and tastes!)

The pork chops are browned then added to onions and apple wedges, covered in cider and put in oven for half an hour.

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:

You know I actually have a sous-vide setup and a cheap FoodSaver vac sealer.

I might try this once I buy more of the sealer bags.

Zyzyxxz

made some pork rillettes for Vietnamese baguette sandwiches but had leftovers so I just made a open faced sandwich with pork rillettes and topped with some red onion escabeche.

4725663886_2549546c3b_b.jpg

For lunch today I was lazy so I bought a gargantuan lunch plate from this Vietnamese place in town that offers a 10 item "Com Tam" (broken rice) for only $10.

4725013069_f7c6774e07_b.jpg

Starting from the bottom and going clockwise:

1. fried shrimp rolls
2. fried shrimp paste
3. fried fish paste
4. blurred out bag in the back is shredded pork Viet style
5. white container is fish sauce vinagrette
6. pickled vegetables
7. orange thing is steam egg loaf (good stuff!)
8. Chinese sausage (lap chiang)
9. chicken steak
10. char broiled shrimp
11. hidden underneath the chicken steak is char broiled pork

To say the least I could not finish it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Gav said:
This is awesome. I will be trying this tonight.
Thankyou for the research, good sir!

we do it every night! works perfectly. i can have a bowl of hot perfect oatmeal in my hands in two minutes every morning. it's brilliant.

Zyzyxxz said:
You know I actually have a sous-vide setup and a cheap FoodSaver vac sealer.

I might try this once I buy more of the sealer bags.

even little ziplock sandwich baggies will work. that's what we use!

Ramma2

Starting off with dessert, the ingredients!

2mwxil0.jpg

While we're waiting for dessert to cook up, lets have one of these:

6hqruq.jpg

Ahhh dessert is done. Definitely needs some ice cream, but it wouldn't have survived my commute in the heat today.

53k041.jpg

So many awesome things...

Right, for what should be the deepdish pizza experiment tomorrow night, shall I shoot for something of a side/slice profile pic as well as my usual overhead/ 3/4 view given the non-standard construction? I've plans for the turkey bacon as well given the real estate they occupy...

Mainly I'm just worried about the dough getting done. All I know is the "normal" pizza took 20 min as per the instructions....and the Uno's Take n' Bake using this cakepan take 30----so surely it should get done by the 30 min mark at the latest.

Right? :lol

Ramma2

Maklershed said:
@ramma2 - mind posting a recipe for the apple crisp?

Gladly!

Ingredients
4 granny smith apples (Or 3 large), peeled, cored and sliced
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oat
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup butter, softened

Directions
Put apples in an 8 or 9 inch square baking dish.
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl and mix.
Spread crumble mixture over apples and bake for 35 minutes in a 375ºF degree oven.

Source: RecipeZaar

It was awesome apple crisp. The family ate most of it last night and I polished off the rest for breakfast this morning.

Zyzyxxz said:
made some pork rillettes for Vietnamese baguette sandwiches but had leftovers so I just made a open faced sandwich with pork rillettes and topped with some red onion escabeche.

4725663886_2549546c3b_b.jpg

For lunch today I was lazy so I bought a gargantuan lunch plate from this Vietnamese place in town that offers a 10 item "Com Tam" (broken rice) for only $10.

4725013069_f7c6774e07_b.jpg

Starting from the bottom and going clockwise:

1. fried shrimp rolls
2. fried shrimp paste
3. fried fish paste
4. blurred out bag in the back is shredded pork Viet style
5. white container is fish sauce vinagrette
6. pickled vegetables
7. orange thing is steam egg loaf (good stuff!)
8. Chinese sausage (lap chiang)
9. chicken steak
10. char broiled shrimp
11. hidden underneath the chicken steak is char broiled pork

To say the least I could not finish it.

Oh my god that looks sooo good. Have you seen anywhere online that has a recipie for the egg loaf? I can't get enough of it when I go to the local viet resturaunt, so much so in fact that the waiters know me and give it to me automatically unless I say otherwise *lol*

anyone here ever dry-age steaks? i'm looking to get into dry-aging strip loins in my 2nd fridge. i'm a sucker for dry-aged steaks but the prices online are too damn high.

once i decide to tackle it i'll snap pics of the entire process.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
scissorfight said:
anyone here ever dry-age steaks? i'm looking to get into dry-aging strip loins in my 2nd fridge. i'm a sucker for dry-aged steaks but the prices online are too damn high.

once i decide to tackle it i'll snap pics of the entire process.

in my experience, aging individual steaks is not a good idea. my experience may not be indicative of a prevailing rule, but when i individually aged my steaks for a few days--3 or 4 i think, changing the cloths regularly--outward impressions were extremely promising. dry-aging a steak wicks away a lot of the surface moisture, and so when you sear the steak it gets a ridiculously wonderful crust. the rub is that a lot of the interior of the steak has been too dry. this isn't an issue when you're talking about dry-aging a whole rib roast, for example, when you can cut away a majority of the dry exterior.

if you're just seeking the nice crust, i would recommend wrapping overnight in cloth and letting the steaks come to room temperature the next day. you'll get that same exterior without the dry interior. that's what i've been doing lately. someone else may be able to tell you a good method for individually aging steaks, but i have not personally found it in my numerous culinary excursions.

beelzebozo said:
in my experience, aging individual steaks is not a good idea. my experience may not be indicative of a prevailing rule, but when i individually aged my steaks for a few days--3 or 4 i think, changing the cloths regularly--outward impressions were extremely promising. dry-aging a steak wicks away a lot of the surface moisture, and so when you sear the steak it gets a ridiculously wonderful crust. the rub is that a lot of the interior of the steak has been too dry. this isn't an issue when you're talking about dry-aging a whole rib roast, for example, when you can cut away a majority of the dry exterior.

if you're just seeking the nice crust, i would recommend wrapping overnight in cloth and letting the steaks come to room temperature the next day. you'll get that same exterior without the dry interior. that's what i've been doing lately. someone else may be able to tell you a good method for individually aging steaks, but i have not personally found it in my numerous culinary excursions.
i'd agree, i don't think there's any good way to dry-age individual steaks...and i don't know of any safe way to do it past a few days.

i'm going to be buying entire strip loins and aging it ~3 weeks before trimming the exterior and cutting into steaks.

i was considering doing this without any covering, but that would require a dedicated fridge so the temp and humidty could be maintained perfectly, and i use the 2nd fridge for other things so that's not going to happen.

this chef tested some new dry-age bags and seemed to have good results. i may give this a shot.

2uqk874.jpg

FAILURE...well, it was OK I guess. As far as the cheese, sauce, bacon, etc all went fine---but the dough ended up not being big enough for the pan, and while getting done decently enough, was just too bland this time around for it. The bacon got thrown on there before I could arrange it the way I had in mind.

All told, it just turned out to be a learning experience meal this time around as opposed to something particularly tasty. : /

Bah~

Zyzyxxz

RoryDropkick said:
Oh my god that looks sooo good. Have you seen anywhere online that has a recipie for the egg loaf? I can't get enough of it when I go to the local viet resturaunt, so much so in fact that the waiters know me and give it to me automatically unless I say otherwise *lol*

unfortunately no, I've been looking for one for a while.

Razorwind

OnkelC said:
I'll be making some Beef Tatare in a few minutes, anybody interested in a new set of pics?

prep here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4286550&postcount=576

OO!!! I just got the minced beef for it!! I will try it!!! I might give it a roast first though...my butcher isn't that trustworthy. =p

Meanwhile below are my experiments with red wine vinegar

Tomato puree with red wine vinegar with onions+chicken sausage
4700022821_f8998a49e1.jpg

4 Tomatoes
1 Onion chopped
2 Cloves of garlic sliced
Oregano (Dried)
2 Teaspoons of red wine vinegar

Fried the garlic in a few chunks of olive oil, then proceeded to add the onion. As it becomes pale white, I added the chopped tomatoes. Now add the red wine vinegar and smell the richness of the sauce. Let it simmer as you add some oregano, pressing the tomatoes to squeeze out the goodies. If it dries too fast (which it did), add 1 cup of water.

4700029045_54bfc42017.jpg

Added the chopped sausages...Roast it a bit before hand if you want.

4700033437_f5542023da.jpg

Add the sauce and sausage to cooked angel hair pasta. Done.

Well that was good, gave a good roasted taste, but did not use enough tomatoes I think.

So I went do proceed with a creamy tomato sauce for my pasta.
4700037227_3eb585be6b.jpg

Milk. (I used regular milk) (1 cup) but prepare more.
Butter (eermm, 2cm of a bar?)
Flour (One "Pan", just enough to cover one pan)
Tomatoes (Again, sticking with 4)
Frozen Peas (As much or little as you want)
Red Wine Vinegar

Cheats:
Olive Oil (I dont have the habit of throwing half bars of butter yet)
Ketchup (Sorry!!! >.<)

Do up a Roux...This is the hardest part of the whole sauce, do it well.
1) Melt some butter, I added olive oil to "top up"
2) Add enough floor to just nicely one thin layer across the pan
3) Switch it to slow-medium heat, I stirred like mad with my wooden chopsticks
4) Wait for it to turn yellowy and gooey
5) Add some milk, continue to stir....
6) Add an equal portion of water, let it simmer (Some people prefer sparkling water, but i dont have that)

7) Chop up tomatoes, take out the seeds and core.
8) Slowly add tomatoes into the cream mix...
9) Once the tomatoes soften, use a ladle, or a strainer to press the tomatoes
10) Add in the red wine vinegar.....breathe in the goodies.
11) Add oregano if you want.
12) Taste, and adjust milk + water according to your liking. As you add milk, try to top up with butter/olive oil
Cheat: It didnt even get a pinkish color, so i added ketchup >.<
13) 10mins before you serve, add in the peas. Adding it too early softens them up too much for my liking.

Bland pasta:
4700672964_153a4f5911.jpg

Saucy pasta!!!!!
4700048927_20e758dc1f.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
unfortunately no, I've been looking for one for a while.

That's a shame! You'd think it'd be easy to make, but I can't quite make out all the components of it....

I wonder if my local place would be willing to tell me what's in it..

Zyzyxxz

RoryDropkick said:
That's a shame! You'd think it'd be easy to make, but I can't quite make out all the components of it....

I wonder if my local place would be willing to tell me what's in it..

from what I understand there is usually some kind of pork product, wood ear fungus, and eggs. Other than that I don't know.

ShinAmano

Ok...so I just picked up a 15lb Boston Butt that I will be turning into BBQ over the next 15-20 hours. I will have pick pre and post grill for your enjoyment sometime this weekend. :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ShinAmano said:
Ok...so I just picked up a 15lb Boston Butt that I will be turning into BBQ over the next 15-20 hours. I will have pick pre and post grill for your enjoyment sometime this weekend. :D
sounds great, looking forward to the pics!

razorwind, tatare is made from beef tenderloin, not ordinary ground beef, so better not try that :D

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm about to take on my first dessert and baking dish, quesitos:

237042_img_0137_resized_to_640x_header.20100616190809.jpg

Can't be too hard right?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
OnkelC said:
I consider puff pastry dough a rather difficult and delicate matter to prepare. The frozen stuff is comparable in quality and saves a lot of hassle IMHO.

Oh, yeah. I will be buying something pre-made. I like to cook but I also work and exercise...

Leunam

I found a great mango salsa recipe that I want to serve over fish, but I don't know what else to pair with the fish itself. I was thinking saffron rice (my fiance bought some in a package the other day) but I'm open to other ideas. Any suggestions for a salad as well? Cosmic bus' nectarine and grapefruit salad sounds really appetizing.

2yzjx2b.jpg

Last panini in the pack, so maybe I'll get lucky and get back to my gyros!

Cheese this week: Bergenost

Seasoning is the same as last time, only the Italian Cheese variety.

Overall, it melts well, tastes good if a bit on the sweet side, and isn't oily at all really----quite a nice one!

Onkel: With this tatare, are such things only possible with beef tenderloin via some magic of anatomy or do variations exist in venison, lamb, buffalo, goat, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom