• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

funk0ar

Cooking gaf you understand how awesome it is when you get a double yolk when you crack an egg?

Well I just got TWO in a row!! Didn't have a camera on me though :(

funk0ar said:
Cooking gaf you understand how awesome it is when you get a double yolk when you crack an egg?

It is pretty awesome. Kinda like when you get a peanut butter cup and its sitting in two wrappers. I don't care what anyone says, it makes it taste way better :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
funk0ar said:

some supermarkets sell double yolkers on a regular basis here.

ElectricThunder and tilde, thanks for sharing!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
funk0ar said:

I got 4 in a row once. I was scared as fuck.
I ate them anyway.

Nothing I cooked, but I was in Memphis, TN the past week for work. Had 3 nights there and sampled three different places:
McEwens
Majestic Grille
Grill 83 in Madison Hotel

If you are ever in Memphis and want to eat good, go to McEwens. The place was fantastic, great atmosphere, great service and reasonable price. The food was awesome, Between the three of us we had Scallops, I had their Rack of Lamb and last person got their special which was a Baramundi and all 3 were fantastic.

Oh, and get the Spring Rolls. Best Spring Rolls I have ever had.

ShinAmano

So I made some BBQ this weekend. I started off with a 15lb Boston Butt and put my own dry rub on and wrapped in cellophane.
4736571343_155e5a975d.jpg

I then tossed it on my Egg for the next 16 hours...the result:
4737209292_29849f5a46.jpg

And after a little 'pulling' (stuff fell right off the bone):
4736574847_7d18d98da2.jpg

So freaking good.

ShinAmano

Maklershed said:
*homersimpsondrool.gif*

So jealous/hungry. I love pulled pork bbq. What did you do for sauce?
To be honest i contemplated making some, but I just went with what I had: Stubbs and Sweet Baby Rays...though it didn't really need it. Funny thing is usually when someone cooks that much food it is for an event...I did it and only 2 of my friends were over for the world cup game...needless to say there are a bunch of leftovers :lol

Zyzyxxz

wow that looks good!

I'm planning on a decently sized 4th of July party but I'm avoiding on doing too much BBQ. My mom always likes to do korean style BBQ meats so I'm gonna let her do that.

So far my plan is:

starters:
1. chorizo crostini with manchego cheese shavings
2. fried pork belly and apple kimchi skewer
3. tuna salad crostini
4. chicken liver crostini

mains:
5. sheperd's pie - probably gonna be mince bison with yukon gold mash on top
6. home baked pizza - not sure of toppings

desert: some sort of pie or tart

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ShinAmano, adorable! congrats on that fine roast. And thanks for sharing, of course!

Zyzyxxz said:
wow that looks good!

I'm planning on a decently sized 4th of July party but I'm avoiding on doing too much BBQ. My mom always likes to do korean style BBQ meats so I'm gonna let her do that.

So far my plan is:

starters:
1. chorizo crostini with manchego cheese shavings
2. fried pork belly and apple kimchi skewer
3. tuna salad crostini
4. chicken liver crostini

mains:
5. sheperd's pie - probably gonna be mince bison with yukon gold mash on top
6. home baked pizza - not sure of toppings

desert: some sort of pie or tart
Sounds awesome, looking forward to the pics already! :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Hm, sort of a... revised pizza tonight. Baked a wheat pizza crust in a ceramic soup mug for a few minutes so it would take on the shape, lined it with some prosciutto and cappocolo, then filled it with cannellini beans, chopped tomato, basil, onion, anchovy and a little parmigiano reggiano and baked it for about ten minutes. Had some marinated roasted peppers on the side.

Schrade

Hey guys. Does anyone have some good instructions for roasting those thin-skinned little potatoes (red ones)?

I have rosemary growing outside I can use for them too, I just don't know how to roast them properly.

Zyzyxxz

Schrade said:
Hey guys. Does anyone have some good instructions for roasting those thin-skinned little potatoes (red ones)?

I have rosemary growing outside I can use for them too, I just don't know how to roast them properly.

your basic roasting techniques:

1. oven @ 400-500F, only you know your oven though
2. biggest pan with the least amount of ingredients - spread those mofos out
3. toss with olive oil, kosher salt, and that rosemary you have and roast those bitches. Check after 20 minutes and watch closely after that.

Schrade

Thanks!

I've got a gas oven (it's an all in one gas stove/oven thing) and it seems to take longer to cook stuff in the oven (like pizza) than when I used to have an electric element type oven.

So I should maybe use 475-500 degrees ya think?

Zyzyxxz

Schrade said:
Thanks!

I've got a gas oven (it's an all in one gas stove/oven thing) and it seems to take longer to cook stuff in the oven (like pizza) than when I used to have an electric element type oven.

So I should maybe use 475-500 degrees ya think?

if you can get a oven thermometer that you can stick inside the oven and see if it reads consistently with your dial/controls.

Gas is fine, although electrics have a good consistency in terms of temperature control you just need to preheat and time it right aka don't open that door too often.

It's fine to do 500 but just keep an eye on them and be careful how thick you cut the potatoes because at 500 the insides might not get heated enough.

ShinAmano

Zyzyxxz said:
your basic roasting techniques:

1. oven @ 400-500F, only you know your oven though
2. biggest pan with the least amount of ingredients - spread those mofos out
3. toss with olive oil, kosher salt, and that rosemary you have and roast those bitches. Check after 20 minutes and watch closely after that.
Yeah, pretty much how I do them all the time...some cracked pepper in there as well.

ShinAmano

Axion22 said:
Same as how I learned from this recipe, although that recipe says "cut into quarters" and you'll want them smaller than that. I recommend eighths.
Yeah I go with 8ths as well. I think I have a picture in this tread that shows a marinated pork loin cooking on the grill with some of these in a pan below...mmm love some red skin potatoes.

ShinAmano said:
So I made some BBQ this weekend. I started off with a 15lb Boston Butt and put my own dry rub on and wrapped in cellophane.
4736571343_155e5a975d.jpg

I then tossed it on my Egg for the next 16 hours...the result:
4737209292_29849f5a46.jpg

And after a little 'pulling' (stuff fell right off the bone):
4736574847_7d18d98da2.jpg

So freaking good.
Looks great! Did you just roast these in the oven? What temp did you cook them at?

ShinAmano

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Looks great! Did you just roast these in the oven? What temp did you cook them at?
No I cooked it on the grill. 16 hours at about 230-250. Simple dry rub:
2 Tbs. kosher salt
2 Tbs. sugar
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. ground cumin seed
2 Tbs. chili powder
2 Tbs. cracked black pepper
1 Tbs. cayenne pepper
4 Tbs. Hungarian paprika
2 Tbs. ground sage

It was my first try at cooking one (want to be ready for an August Beach trip where I will make another) and it turned out pretty good.

I did think about if it would be possible to do it in the oven, but that would take out any potential ability to smoke it. Probably could make it happen if you wanted though.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Crappy cell phone pic incoming :lol :

jzwoi9.jpg

All this talk about roasted potatoes convinced me to make some, along with grilled zucchini, and some heated up leftover chicken breast from two nights ago. There is nothing better than local zucchini when it is in season. They come out so sweet when you grill them. :D

(also as you can see, I was in a bit of a hurry and forgot to crush the rosemary :lol )

n1877q.jpg

Tasty wheat dough that only needed to proof for 2 hours at room temp, more of the leftover Dubliner, and the first set of seasoned bacon I've ever had in my life. It rose up WAY more than we expected and the texture was very bread/bagel-like---even the bottom of it which honestly weirded me out a bit.

Far better than the last botched one though, and only $1.67 for the dough bag(though this was the entire bag worth)! :D

bovo

Another roast meat based meal - beef roasted with onions:

Mrs bovo made yorkshire puddings to go with it:

With roast potatoes and green beans:

Beef was possibly a bit overcooked, but still tasted good!

I may try to conteract my recent meaty meal posts, as I'm planning on making tofu schnitzel again some time this weekend (just put tofu in freezer to firm it up).

However, due to increasing numbers of meat eaters in the house, I'll probably make some pork schnitzel as well...

Nice looking Yorkshires Bovo. Haven't had a good pudding in ages, should get the roast out of the freezer on Monday.

Here's a pork dish I made the other day for the regional culinary fare. The pics were taken a few minutes after plating so it's a little drier than when finished.
P1050249_thumb.jpg

The choux for the gnocchi was a little wet but still held their shape. The pork glaze however was phenomenal. Probably one of the best things I've ever created, inspite of french cuisines traditional shunning of Pork as a base for stocks, this rich glaze is killer. I've got a basic recipe on my blog if anyone wants to try it
http://www.foodology.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/P1050249_thumb.jpg
Perhaps add some dried shiitake as well with the water when making the stock.

way more

datruth29 said:
So, I was wondering if I can get some help on some cooking matters from you wonderful, beautiful experts of tongue-pleasing. Specifically, I want to replace my knives with something new (because my old one's are crappy, and need an upgrade). I need some recommendations on:

1) Chef's Knives
2) Paring Knives
3) Bread Knives

31NKD74QMSL._SL300_.jpg

Victorinox 8 inch chefs knife. Ubiquitous, cheap, and sharp.

chefknivestogo_2111_16841765

Forschner Fibrox 9" Offset Bread Knife. Offset helps out your hand and it's got a nice big handle to grip while sawing though baguette.

bovo said:
Mrs bovo made yorkshire puddings to go with it:

What exactly is yorkshire pudding, is it sweet and what does it go with?

mac said:
What exactly is yorkshire pudding, is it sweet and what does it go with?

It's savoury, usually goes with a roast. A batter is put into a muffin pan that has hot oil in it (that't what gives it the shape)

It has a really interesting texture, some parts very soft and spongy and others a little crispy. Great with gravy and meat and vege all on one fork.

IMG_0277.jpg

I made this chili beef stew w/ potatoes for lunch today with enough leftover for the family and to take some to my girlfriend tomorrow :D

My lips are still hot :D.

Stalfos

My first food post in the thread (I usually don't take pictures of the food I make). Here is the dinner I made last night. It's a pulled BBQ chicken sandwich with a cilantro lime slaw. Very tasty.

At long last gyro pizza night returns!

15dqtjn.jpg

This week: Canaria

I'm a bit out of practice proportion wise from having been stuck using the larger panini for so long now, but I should get back into the swing of it sooner than later. The cheese was pretty much just yet another really tasty one, melted very well, though seemed to be rather oily versus many others----capped off with no special quirks to the taste this time around.

As this was the last of the cheeses from BJ's, I'm not sure which one I will grab from elsewhere for next week...

Zyzyxxz

Stalfos said:
My first food post in the thread (I usually don't take pictures of the food I make). Here is the dinner I made last night. It's a pulled BBQ chicken sandwich with a cilantro lime slaw. Very tasty.

dam that looks very professional!

I would have loved to do smoked BBQ for the 4th of July but alas, no smoker from me.

I got craploads of prep to do though since I'm going to feed around 30 people tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my brother to go around taking photos of the food for me.

Stalfos

Zyzyxxz said:
dam that looks very professional!

I would have loved to do smoked BBQ for the 4th of July but alas, no smoker from me.

I got craploads of prep to do though since I'm going to feed around 30 people tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my brother to go around taking photos of the food for me.
Thanks! Yeah I would love to do some good BBQ for the 4th as well, but we're just going to go simple with some hot dogs and beer.

poweld

Reposting this here at the request of OnkelC:

I don't know how I never thought to do this, but this has to be the greatest discovery I've made with regards to my coffee drinking and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Iced coffee with coffee ice cubes. The reason I hate iced coffee is cause after all of 2 minutes it's watered down and hardly drinkable. This solves that problem and then some.

iced-coffee-put-in-ice-cube-tray-400x266.jpg

coffee_cubes.jpg

Holy shit, this is so good. There is a coffee flavored orgy going on in my mouth.

jett

D-Member
Today I tried making some white sauce for ravioli. The ravioli came out okay, but the sauce was inedible, had to throw it out and get some ready-made sauce from the supermarket. :lol Any tips? It came out tasting way too strongly of flour and butter, and it had clumps in it too. I guess I overcooked it?

poweld said:

I don't know how I never thought to do this, but this has to be the greatest discovery I've made with regards to my coffee drinking and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Iced coffee with coffee ice cubes. The reason I hate iced coffee is cause after all of 2 minutes it's watered down and hardly drinkable. This solves that problem and then some.

Holy shit, this is so good. There is a coffee flavored orgy going on in my mouth.

GENIUS!

Stalfos

jett said:
Today I tried making some white sauce for ravioli. The ravioli came out okay, but the sauce was inedible, had to throw it out and get some ready-made sauce from the supermarket. :lol Any tips? It came out tasting way too strongly of flour and butter, and it had clumps in it too. I guess I overcooked it?
Were you following a recipe? With a white sauce you need to make sure you get your rue right before adding any milk. The ratio is typically 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of flour, and a cup of milk. First add the butter and melt it, then add the flower and mix it together with the butter. Here you do need to cook the flower a little bit but if its a white sauce you don't want to brown it. I usually get it to the point where it smells a bit nutty and then I start slowly adding the milk. The key here is that you add the milk slowly as you are constantly stirring with a whisk. Then once you have them combined and it smooth continue to stir over the heat as it thickens and start seasoning with salt and pepper or any other spices you think would be good. If its a pasta sauce you might want to also add a bit of parmesan.

poweld

Never thought to post here, but I love taking pictures of my culinary endeavors. I should really follow this thread! The stuff posted is amazing.

Here's a something I whipped up recently and thought to take shots of:

4570505215_1a87cb83d4_b.jpg

Lamb Burgers - http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Lamb-Burger?cmpid=enews041210

I can't wait to make it again, it was really quite tasty.

Also an old standby:
3759368491_b7aa463ea9_b.jpg

Spanakopita Burgers - http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Rachael-Rays-Spanakopita-Burgers-139612

Great tasting, great for you. Love it.

Apparently I just love messing with the burger concept. Nothing too fancy or difficult, but fun!

besiktas1

poweld said:

http://www.elizabethannedesigns.com/living/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/iced-coffee-put-in-ice-cube-tray-400x266.jpg

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2009/08/coffee_cubes.jpg

Holy shit, this is so good. There is a coffee flavored orgy going on in my mouth.[/QUOTE]

:lol Just did this last week, great minds must think a like :))) but I did it with.... Lemon squash (Robinsons) and put it in my pepsi Max. Now I get ice cold Pepsi with lemon twist and not watered downed when melted!

poweld said:

Yep, I discovered as a young lad that ice-cubing things up works rather well for stuff that, for my taste, I prefer to not be watered down. Orange juice, soft drinks, milk---it is pretty much flawless with all things I've ever tried with it.

Onkel: That's a good enough looking pizza that I'd take the trouble to pick off all the mushrooms and devour the thing heartily. Maybe somewhere out there is a mushroom or so for me...somewhere... :lol

Zyzyxxz

My 4th of July went pretty well and all my prep work paid off since everybody enjoyed the food.

here's a preview, more pics tomorrow after I sleep in.
4762753447_a84592d1b5_b.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
My 4th of July went pretty well and all my prep work paid off since everybody enjoyed the food.

here's a preview, more pics tomorrow after I sleep in.
4762753447_a84592d1b5_b.jpg

What's on the white, round, bottom left corner dish?

Zyzyxxz

Alucrid said:
What's on the white, round, bottom left corner dish?

the one covered in plastic wrap are Chinese dumplings.

The one next to that with the yellow squares are fried polenta squares with very thin sliced of prosciutto and Parmesan shavings.

BitchTits

Stalfos said:
Were you following a recipe? With a white sauce you need to make sure you get your rue right before adding any milk. The ratio is typically 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of flour, and a cup of milk. First add the butter and melt it, then add the flower and mix it together with the butter. Here you do need to cook the flower a little bit but if its a white sauce you don't want to brown it. I usually get it to the point where it smells a bit nutty and then I start slowly adding the milk. The key here is that you add the milk slowly as you are constantly stirring with a whisk. Then once you have them combined and it smooth continue to stir over the heat as it thickens and start seasoning with salt and pepper or any other spices you think would be good. If its a pasta sauce you might want to also add a bit of parmesan.
Follow this, and you will never have lumpy bechamel. But, can I also add: it helps if the milk is warm.

Put the milk in a pan with half an onion studded with 4/5 cloves, and add a few black peppercorns and a bay leaf. Bring it just upto scalding point (the point where it's just that tad too hot for your pinkie) and set it aside for 10-15 mins to infuse. Then seive out the flavoring ingredients before you want to use it for the white sauce.

Also, a little grated nutmeg works great in any bechemel.

Alucrid

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
the one covered in plastic wrap are Chinese dumplings.

The one next to that with the yellow squares are fried polenta squares with very thin sliced of prosciutto and Parmesan shavings.

It was the second one I was after. Never had fried polenta, but I thought it was prosciutto on there. Looks incredibly tasty.

ronito

In honor of recent events I've created this:
25gsdu0.jpg

The BP Cherry Cheesecake. Fairly easy to make.

Crust:
3 tbsps sugar
1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
1/3 cup margarine

melt the butter
pour in crushed graham crackers and sugar
mix with hands
Form to the pan with your hands (don't forget to grease your pan)

bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes.

Filling
4 packages cream cheese (I use Neufchatel)
1/3 cup sour cream
4 eggs
1 cup sugar

Mix the cream cheese, sour cream and sugar. Add in eggs one at a time making sure they are well blended in before adding the next.

Pour into pan with baked crust and cook for 55-60 minutes at 300 degrees.

After it's done cool for 5 hours.

After 5 hours coat the top with cherry pie filling.

Ganache (chocolate coating)
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
4 oz. Hershey's chocolate

Melt the ingredients and drizzle on top of cooled cheesecake. Note it will be really runny, it's supposed to be "oil" after all. If you want it to not be so runny double the amount of chocolate.

Cool for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom