• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Boss! said:
Finally got back from my long time in San Antonio Texas. No time to cook much cause I'm off to Germany next week but we are doing crawfish on saturday. I'm making duck manicotti on Friday, as well. Will post pics!

Also, prior to leaving texas we took a drive up to Austin and went to The Salt Lick for barbecue (a first for me):

76f9ee93.jpg
What did you think of it? I went there a couple years ago and I loved it. A shit ton of food but it was so good.

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

It was pretty good. Never been to a barbecue place, ever, so nothing to compare it to.I Got the all-you-can-eat platter and ate a ton. Nice touch were the chunks of raw onions and pickles served tableside. Cole slaw was nice and refreshing as well...no cloying mayo. Only $20, too! They let you go back behind the counter to check out/photo the big pit. Fun time.

Cereal KiIIer said:

ahh yes. I've used that exact method when i read that blog a while back. Results were good especially with the Ribeye and NY cuts. But now i just use filet mignons :p
1 hour was a bit too long so i normally do about 20-30 minutes depending on thickness. I also used to cook the steaks on the grill but have different approach now using filet mignon.

Filet Mignon
-Kosher salt the shit out of the steak. Pepper accordingly.
-Oil and melt butter in pan
-Cook steak on HIGH for 2-3 minutes per side to get a nice crust on both sides. (Flip only once)
-With steak still in pan, put the pan in the oven at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes depending on thickness
-Remove pan and steak from oven.
-Let the steak rest on a plate and prepare for steak glaze.

Steak glaze
-With remaining steak juices in the pan, throw in chopped onions or shallots and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes
-pour in a few tablespoons of Balsamic Vinaigrette and red wine (only use wine you like to drink)
-Cook on medium-high for a couple minutes or until it starts to bubble
-simmer until it caramelizes
-drizzle on steak

2mee59j.jpg

this came out a little too juicy:lol , but pretty consistent otherwise.

I used flour, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. I didn't use salt in the coating as I did brine the chicken for a little over an hour. Been trying to cut back on salt where I can.

Coated twice: once after brining, then refrigerated for two hours, 2nd coat right before cooking.

Shinjitsu

Banned
CrystalGemini said:
I used flour, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. I didn't use salt in the coating as I did brine the chicken for a little over an hour. Been trying to cut back on salt where I can.

Coated twice: once after brining, then refrigerated for two hours, 2nd coat right before cooking.

I really like the brine idea. I've always been into soaking my chicken in buttermilk before I put on the first coat but I might try the brine some time.

bone idle

Hello uncle and all.

I love cooking, but have refrained from posting because I have nothing more than a phone/cam.

Well, tonight I bought a half price cut of beef brisket (1.8kg) and sharpened my knife on the door step so I could slice it real thin. Then I made a pretty standard beef, ginger, spring onion, bean sprout hot dish. Slice it thin and cook for 2 minutes max. Very tasty and very easy with steamed rice. Some Kikkoman and Encona on top 10 seconds before serving. As an aside, I prefer buying a large cut of meat that will last me a week. I'll slice thin on monday, roast on tuesday, slow cook wednesday, marinade thursday, friday curry and so on.

edit (why is tinypic in polish??)
9fz4bd.jpg

luoapp

Zyzyxxz said:
Finally decided to start a foodblog in order to document my own cooking progress over time.

First post:

http://lestomac.tumblr.com/

teaser:
[/IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/4841515986_25cc42d158_b.jpg[/IMG]

Gray text on dark background makes it difficult to read. Change the color, or use a nice photo as background. Good start, and would like to read more.

Zyzyxxz

luoapp said:
Gray text on dark background makes it difficult to read. Change the color, or use a nice photo as background. Good start, and would like to read more.

thanks, still a work-in-progress so I appreciate any criticisms.

I want to use an image for the background but only if I can photograph something with alot of neutral space

trancekr

hitsugi said:
how did you do this? D: i think it's really neat

For the most of Korean & Japanese, it's a typical side-dish.

After mixing egg and other ingredients, pour into pan (medium-heat). But do not pour all of egg, just enough amount to cover the whole pan.
At the point which egg is half-cooked, roll it from the inside of the pan to outside.
Once finish rolling, put rolled-up egg back to inside and pour remaining egg. And keep doing this.
So basically, you are going to make more layers.

I hope this will answer your question.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
This may have been covered in this thread already (for all I know a dozen times), but what are the best cook books out there? And I don't mean compilations of recipes, I mean books that teach you techniques and the 'whys' of cooking. Like getting a music theory book instead of a book of guitar tabs. I'm culinarily retarded by the way.

Anyone?

demon said:
This may have been covered in this thread already (for all I know a dozen times), but what are the best cook books out there? And I don't mean compilations of recipes, I mean books that teach you techniques and the 'whys' of cooking. Like getting a music theory book instead of a book of guitar tabs. I'm culinarily retarded by the way.

Anyone?

In my culinary class this is our text book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0764557343/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not as much pictures to go along with some of the recipes but covers a lot of techniques. The recipes on the book are for 10+ servings so you'll likely have to scale down from the recipe unless you happen to be cooking for that many people.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
demon said:
books that teach you techniques and the 'whys' of cooking. Like getting a music theory book instead of a book of guitar tabs. I'm culinarily retarded by the way.

Julia Child's The Way to Cook.

Zyzyxxz

trancekr said:
For the most of Korean & Japanese, it's a typical side-dish.

After mixing egg and other ingredients, pour into pan (medium-heat). But do not pour all of egg, just enough amount to cover the whole pan.
At the point which egg is half-cooked, roll it from the inside of the pan to outside.
Once finish rolling, put rolled-up egg back to inside and pour remaining egg. And keep doing this.
So basically, you are going to make more layers.

I hope this will answer your question.

also this helps too:

A tamago pan, its square shape helps to roll the omelette more easily

3879244903_0e29ece5d3.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Grainy photo incoming.

2me1n69.jpg

Butter chicken curry with main vegetable ingrediants of potato, zucchini, eggplant, chickpeas, mushroom, and extra chili, served on rice.

It was delicious. Could have used more chili though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Axion22 said:
Googled this recipe while I was in the store yesterday.

It's pretty good on its own but I need to tinker some.

Anyone else got zucchini recipes?

When I cook zucchini/squash, I just put them in a pan, in the oven, letting them cook with rosemary, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper... pretty basic but still tastes very good. I think it was CrystalGemini or Etoliate who recommended I try dill and sugar in place of rosemary, but I haven't done that yet.

Leunam

EatChildren said:
Grainy photo incoming.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2me1n69.jpg[img]

Butter chicken curry with main vegetable ingrediants of potato, zucchini, eggplant, chickpeas, mushroom, and extra chili, served on rice.

It was delicious. Could have used more chili though.[/QUOTE]

Could you post the recipe for this? I think this might be something I'd like to try to make.

taken with camera phone.

37857_987446766835_23441808_54564188_4362357_n.jpg

baked tilapia with assparagus. green and red bellpeppers are just there because i wanted something to snack on :lol

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Looks good, DM!

Turkey burger (salt, pepper, sage and red pepper flake) with citrus bourbon glaze and fresh grilled pineapple:

IMG_2261.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, I never buy buns or rolls, but tend to have pita and flat breads around pretty commonly, so toasted up they work pretty well for sammiches like this.

dembm1.jpg

That time again, this time featuring the Australian BBQ.

The cheese: Fol Epi

Pretty much like all the other recent ones, only this one seems to taste a tad better somehow and be a chewier cheese when melted. Yum yum!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I cooked a nice meal yesterday. Brown rice, cooked with corn, chick peas with sliced little potatoes in a sauce and sliced flank steak. I cut the steak before cooking and marinated with a soy sauce based marinade for 24 hours. I heated up some olive oil and cooked each side for 3 minutes. I think I overdid it a bit, 2 minutes on each side would have sufficed. I served this with a Spanish Cabernet/Merlot from from Catalunya Spain.

I am especially proud of the rice with corn, it turned out really well. I have some leftovers I may take a picture of and post.

I'm exited about my next wine, an Uruguayan Tannat/Merlot blend. I need to figure out what to serve it with. Tonight it's pork chops in guava wine sauce with the same rice.

Edit- Does wine go well with curry? I want to make chicken curry, I'll take some recipe suggestions if you have them!

Hey IronGAF, I have a craving for something sweet and lemony for dessert. Preferably something simple and light. Can anyone recommend a recipe?

All I have to offer right now in return is my method of preparing Ignis Iced Black Tea:

Ingredients:
1/2 Gallon of Water
6 Lipton Black Tea Bags
1/2 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Lime Juice
1/2 Whole Ginger Root

Heat the water as you peel the ginger root. Remove pot from flame when its boiling. Remove the little tags from the teabags and put them all in at once and stir. Let them steep for about five minutes, stirring occasionally. You should get a nice dark amber color.

Add in the honey next, stirring until dissolved. After five minutes are up remove the teabags and toss them out. Then grate the ginger into the mix--don't be afraid to stir the grater in the pot to ensure no waste. The lime juice can go in last. Stir the whole thing once in a while.

Let the whole pot sit for about 15-20 minutes. It should become much cooler in that time. Then it's ready to pour into your jug or container of choice. You should get a lot of ginger pulp leftover at the bottom which you can just throw out. You can leave the jug out until it's room temperature, put it in a sink with cold water, or just stick it straight into the refrigerator. The result is extremely healthy, refreshing, and energizing, not to mention tasty and light. Perfect for summer.

A few notes: The tea will sometimes taste bitter and the ginger and lemon flavor will often be extremely strong at the moment of creation. Bitterness will vanish after a night in the refrigerator, and the ginger and lemon will also fade into a nice subtle aftertaste.

commissar

well uh..I made some simple chocolate balls.

boil 125g butter, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup sugar and 1tsp of vanilla for 3 min.

Remove from the heat & mix into:
1/4 cup cocoa, 3 cup rolled oats, 1 cup coconut, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp allspice

then roll into small balls & cover in coconut.
cover.jpg

Chill in fridge.

You can add a dash of alcohol, or add some sultanas or all sorts of things too :)

Zyzyxxz

new blog post and a special one only for Neogaf too...

My first try at making honey walnut shrimp... except I had no walnuts so I used almonds... which was a bad idea. At least the shrimp tasted good. I first learned how the sauce was made at the Chinese place I worked at last year. I don't know why I waited until now to try my own variation.

4862499636_3ca29bd347_z.jpg

New blog post: http://lestomac.tumblr.com/post/906474682/spectacular-failure

preview:
4861878485_4b9bf0159d.jpg

Yes I know I used chives in both of those dishes, mainly because I rather use them than let them go to waste in the trash bin.

luoapp

Zyzyxxz said:
new blog post and a special one only for Neogaf too...

My first try at making honey walnut shrimp... except I had no walnuts so I used almonds... which was a bad idea. At least the shrimp tasted good. I first learned how the sauce was made at the Chinese place I worked at last year. I don't know why I waited until now to try my own variation.

I guess it's the bitter aftertaste from almonds. I may use almond slice, and try to do it in a "warm salad" way -- very light sauce, minimal cooking to retain the crispness of the nuts. Well, at least the pic looks nice. Actually, if you don't have walnuts, try cashew next time. Fry the nuts before mix with the shrimp, just be careful not to burn them:lol

288pgdv.jpg

This time around, I'm back to Panini for awhile! I also recently tried some gigantic, non-hollow pita bread----not much taste to it really but it would probably also work for the most part in my doings should it time out just so.

This week's cheese is: Saint Paulin

What we have here is a very soft cheese, pretty much the same kind of deal as Brie. as such, it grips and melts very quickly and competently while having a good taste in general without any real oddities. Drizzled is just about the last of the Q's....need to find/order me another bottle when I come across it next. :D

Zyzyxxz

MisterNugNug said:
Zyzyxxz, how is the honey walnut sauce made? Ingredients?
Ratio is something like -

2 parts mayonnaise
1 part. Sweetened and condensed milk
1-2 tablespoons honey
A tablespoon of mustard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom