• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0b

Did some pork loin today.

121s8xc.jpg

bdps8m.jpg

Dinner Tonight, Chicken Breasts with grilled onions and tomatoes.

Also had a side salad, thats not shown.

Sorry for the shitty iPhone pic.

This turned out just perfect.

Marinated overnight in a paste of Onions, tomatoes, garlic, lime juice, some yoghurt, salt, pepper, red chili powder + Tandoori mix. It turned out just amazing, best chicken breast I have cooked till now. I also put some minced garlic on one side during grilling on the pan.

Will try the same recipe again over the weekend. If I can be cosistent with this, its a sure winner.

2daj3n8.jpg

Panini Pizza Night strikes again!

Cheese this time, apparently courtesy of somewhere in Argentina, Reggianito

However, aside from being far more stubborn to melt than the last several cheeses, it was in pretty well the same boat as yet another tasty, but not distinctive, cheese.

Tried some of the garlic powder that worked fairly well as a makeshift "garlic crust" for that rising wheat monstrosity from the other week---it still works well in general! :D

In cheese hunting news: Looks like a membership to Sam's Club was finally wrangled for my mother, so here's to hoping it has some different and interesting wares versus BJ's to experiment further with. I'm going to repost The List once I've exhausted all locally available choices...

Shanadeus

Banned
Tried to make some pizza hut copy with my girlfriend, and it turned out pretty delicious.
The bread was sooo soft and spongy, and the crusty area was just the right crispness:

2w4b8yu.jpg

Used gouda cheese on top, will try with a quarter of grated mozarella mixed into the cheese next time.

Looking good pizza wise Shanadeus...I still need to give normal Gouda a shot at some point since thus far all I used, though to good effect, was Smoked Gouda.

CrankyJay: That steak looks crazy good...don't think I've ever had flank steak somehow come to think of it. That somewhat resembles some steak I got at a nice Thai place. :lol

Maiar_m

It's been a while. I did some more cheap student food this week, namely, Chicken Peanuts.

chickenpeanuts.jpg

Some chicken breast cut in slices, cooked with onions and dusted peanuts, drizzeled with cream and served with sticky white rice and cinnamon.

I over-cooked the rice, but the rest was awesome.

CrankyJay

Banned
ElectricThunder said:
Looking good pizza wise Shanadeus...I still need to give normal Gouda a shot at some point since thus far all I used, though to good effect, was Smoked Gouda.

CrankyJay: That steak looks crazy good...don't think I've ever had flank steak somehow come to think of it. That somewhat resembles some steak I got at a nice Thai place. :lol
It was fantastic. Got the grill up to 500-550 and seared it for 2 minutes on each side and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Came out a perfect medium rare.

tirminyl

It's been a long time since I have been in this thread and some of this food looks great!

I'm really in the mood for some Spaghetti w/ chicken so I will be making that tonight and posting some crappy phone pics :D

numble

I'm in Hong Kong for the week.

Yesterday, I had lunch at Mr. Taco Truck:

0fde9ef5.jpg

25d8c35d.jpg

Al Pastor Burrito and Horchata.

Okay, it's not a real taco truck and just a store that has a fake truck set-up, but it was still damn good. This is coming from a Southern Californian spending the past 3 months spent in Mainland China. I might go there again today.

I told you to spread taco trucks to Asia, Zyzyxxz! It's going to be too late soon!

BTW, I'm all ears if people have recommendations for places to see or eat at in Hong Kong.

With my ongoing diet, its been Chicken night all week.

Today, I didn't have much time to marinate, so I did a dry marinade for roughly 2.5 hours.

Marinade was oil, salt, pepper, red chili powder, garlic, tumeric and Tandoori Masala. Once again served with grilled onions (I just love em)

1. Chicken on pan
1gqf6u.jpg

2. Onions prepared, mixed with a little bit of home made (from India) Garlic paste (pictured in background). The paste has Garlic, red chili powder and some other spices. Very tasty and spicy.
s6rxc8.jpg

3. Adding the onions. After letting them cook for a bit, I added more spices to the onions. Salt, Pepper, Red Chili Powder, Oregano, Garam masala and pinch of tumeric.
2zog9k1.jpg

4. Served with salad.
2zqdfdh.jpg

Once again, Chicken came out just perfect. Which is a big plus for me, after not cooking at all for past 3 years, things are looking good. Not screwing up marination, not screwing up the grilling.

I just need to diversify and cook other healthy foods.

tirminyl

So I made some Spaghetti w/ Chicken. It was so good. Next time I will be using my mom's homemade sauce recipe.

Chicken: Two chopped chicken breasts with salt, pepper, paprika & evoo
chicken.jpg

Sauce: Prego traditional with lemon juice, cayenne pepper, cilantro and sugar
sauce.jpg

Mixed: I pour the sauce with my chicken and simmer while noodles cook:
sauce_chicken.jpg

Mixed again: Dump everything into my new stock pot :D
pot.jpg

Finished: So good. Taste even better for left overs!
finished.jpg

Had crepes the other day (forgot to post here)!  :9  I had the "crepe fredo" which is: "Blue Point Crab, Spinach, White Cheddar Cheese, Swiss Gruyere, Mushrooms, Onions & Herbal Seasonings topped with White Wine Alfredo Sauce."   etiolate had the jambalaya crepe which for some reason had olives which was weird but was still tasty. (I'm just going to copy and paste the crepe descriptions from their website since they're one of those places that likes to name everything on the menu.)

Caliente Sisters -Crepe filled with French triple cream brie, enlivened with the subtle heat of jalapeno jelly.
44829_696968308368_60710639_37754087_32651_n.jpg

etiolate's Jambalaya crepe
44829_696968313358_60710639_37754088_3310303_n.jpg

44829_696968323338_60710639_37754090_7998865_n.jpg

My Crepe Fredo
44829_696968318348_60710639_37754089_5837503_n.jpg

40005_696968338308_60710639_37754093_5946465_n.jpg

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
I told you to spread taco trucks to Asia, Zyzyxxz! It's going to be too late soon!

BTW, I'm all ears if people have recommendations for places to see or eat at in Hong Kong.

If I'm going to work in Hong Kong it's gonna be for Bo Innovation one day. But its only a dream.

Anyway as for recommendations I say give this hot pot place I use to frequent a try. It was great for a poor college student like me while I was attending the CUHK.

I don't know the name but its across the street from the Sha Tin Wai MTR station.

Price is something like $60HK for all you can eat with soda bottles included, beer extra.

n14835007_37482859_4893.jpg

n14835007_37482862_5924.jpg

Just finished my first batch of Limoncello. It's good. Had two already. Might go back for another now.............. nice and sweet to start with a very fragrant lemon punch to cut through it. Still a strong alcoholic kick at the end as it goes down. The aftertaste is surprisingly refreshing.

1 litre of 100 proof vodka
12 lemon rinds
Simple syrup (2 cups water/sugar)

I'll take a pic in a sec.

limoncello_thumb.jpg

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
IronGaf help!!!!

I'm a total Chef geek, I love cooking with technology, so I've got to ask:

Induction Hobs, Yay or Nay?

On paper it looks like a no brainer:
Instant heat to the contents of the pan: boils water in seconds, way quicker than a kettle
Much More Efficient: Only the contents of the pan is heated so there is very little wasted energy
Easier to clean: Spilled food won't continue to be heated so it's less likely to bake in

And I found one from Baumatic for £260, which is about half what they've been available for up till now. So it's expensive for a hob, but within my budget.

The only down side I know of is that I'll need magnetic pans (think i have a few that aren't, not many).

Is there any other good reason not to get one?

Dinner at my girlfriends this past weekend. Her mom made a delicious salad that included 2 different raw fish items. First time I've had raw fish other than sushi so it was different but still delicious.

Stuff ha settled, so I hope I can get back into cooking new stuff soon :D

Zyzyxxz

Ghost said:
IronGaf help!!!!

On paper it looks like a no brainer:
Instant heat to the contents of the pan: boils water in seconds, way quicker than a kettle
Much More Efficient: Only the contents of the pan is heated so there is very little wasted energy
Easier to clean: Spilled food won't continue to be heated so it's less likely to bake in

And I found one from Baumatic for £260, which is about half what they've been available for up till now. So it's expensive for a hob, but within my budget.

The only down side I know of is that I'll need magnetic pans (think i have a few that aren't, not many).

Is there any other good reason not to get one?

Other than the fact you can't flambe stuff without a different flame there is nothing really bad about induction cooking, in fact I believe its the future of household stovetops.

9tjo12.jpg

Pretty well last of the Bergenost, no crazy rising this time, no serious oil spilling, garlic powder across the entire surface went great----turkey bacon and mixed ground peppercorns good as always. The Caesar dressing also worked the best on this out of all the rest I've used it on, which surprised me! :lol

Ghost said:
IronGaf help!!!!

I would say Yay.

Very fast, super efficient. Just make sure your pan/pots have a metal base that will work.

1jlxfc.jpg

Panini Pizza time! Cheese for this week:

Sargento Artisan Blends: Mexican (Queso Quesadilla, Asadero, Queso Gallego, Manchego, Anejo Enchilado)

Also, some Applegate Pepperoni for the first time!

Been a long time since I got ahold of a shredded pack, definitely made things quick. Given the mix, I can't say anything about any individual cheese---but as a whole this was pretty stellar. To experiment a bit, I added the garlic powder on top of the pepperoni instead of the grated Romano to see if it would still work out well---it did. :D

rezuth

So this may be a bit off topic but I thought I'll ask anyway. I live in a cold and small place known as Sweden. This country only has a few kitchen tools franchisees that are cheap (I'm not paying 200 dollars for a Wok pan that I can order online from USA for 40 dollars). I need to restock my whole kitchen, everything from cutting boards to a new wok pan.

So my real question is simply, does anyone know a good place that have lots of items to offer and relatively cheap shipping to Sweden?

I have already looked at www.cooking.com , is that a good place to start?

Zyzyxxz

cooking.com isn't bad, I mainly use Amazon because I have Prime so free and fast shipping. I dont know how Amazon is in your country though.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I'd also suchest Looping for a wok in Chinese or asian Food Stores, they usually have a Selection of cooking goods around.

ShinAmano

So...kind of related...I finished the table for my Big Green Egg...will post pics soon. The table clocks in at about 150lbs and the Egg about 180...needless to say the thing is a beast.

Going to fire up some bourbon glazed tenderloins on it this week. :D

Was wondering if Gaf could give me advice on buying knives?

Figured I would first go for a 6-8" utility/chef knife. I've been told that I should just get 2-3 very expensive knives. Can GAF help?

Stalfos

demosthenes said:

Figured I would first go for a 6-8" utility/chef knife. I've been told that I should just get 2-3 very expensive knives. Can GAF help?
I'd suggest looking into Victorinox knives. They are well regarded good quality knives and they are relatively cheap compared to other brands. You should be able to get the 3 or so knives you need for about the price of a single chef knife from other brands.

demosthenes said:

What sort of use would they get? If you already know how to take care of your knives then sure, get a couple of great knives. If you're a bit of a knife noob then get a cheap few to get the knack of sharpening and knife care.

Zyzyxxz

Alright guys I'm off to Chicago tomorrow to get away from my hectic job.

Hopefully I can look for some new spark or inspiration to start cooking more and posting more of my food.

Zyzyxxz said:
Alright guys I'm off to Chicago tomorrow to get away from my hectic job.

Hopefully I can look for some new spark or inspiration to start cooking more and posting more of my food.

Requesting some Chicago pizza pictures if things happen to strike just so! God luck and have fun on your trip.

CrankyJay

Banned
So...most curry dishes have coconut milk in them, and I just hate everything about coconuts. Are there any non-coconut milk curry dishes? Can't stand the taste of it, or the texture. Am I fucked?

Silkworm

Brianemone said:
What sort of use would they get? If you already know how to take care of your knives then sure, get a couple of great knives. If you're a bit of a knife noob then get a cheap few to get the knack of sharpening and knife care.
Speaking of knife sharpening what is the normal choice for most people who are more adept at cooking? If you have a really expensive set of knives (I consider $275 expensive, though I know in the grand scheme of things that's not that expensive compared to some knives) then do typically have a professional take care of sharpening them once a year and keep it sharpened in the meantime with say maybe a sharpening stone at home? I have a a sharpening steel rod that works reasonably well, and though not great I figure it's okay to use with the lower end knives I currently have. But my fear is that if I bought an expensive set of knives that I'd potentially ruin them using this sharpening method. Also I've seen how you can sharpen a serrated knife by yourself, but it looks like a pain in the ass to do so (maybe not that bad, but more effort than I'd care to put into it), so if I ever get that Wusthof 10 inch serrated bread knife I'll definitely seek out a professional to sharpen it when it needs it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Silkworm said:
Speaking of knife sharpening what is the normal choice for most people who are more adept at cooking? If you have a really expensive set of knives (I consider $275 expensive, though I know in the grand scheme of things that's not that expensive compared to some knives) then do typically have a professional take care of sharpening them once a year and keep it sharpened in the meantime with say maybe a sharpening stone at home? I have a a sharpening steel rod that works reasonably well, and though not great I figure it's okay to use with the lower end knives I currently have. But my fear is that if I bought an expensive set of knives that I'd potentially ruin them using this sharpening method. Also I've seen how you can sharpen a serrated knife by yourself, but it looks like a pain in the ass to do so (maybe not that bad, but more effort than I'd care to put into it), so if I ever get that Wusthof 10 inch serrated bread knife I'll definitely seek out a professional to sharpen it when it needs it.
I have Kai Shun knives and was advised not to sharpen them at all. So far, so good.

demosthenes said:

Professionally I have used and preferred American Lamsons "LamsonSharp" with the forged rosewood handles. Not too pricy and a damnned fine tool.

Zyzyxxz

Silkworm said:
Its not too hard to learn how to sharpen it yourself. I have a global which is a bitch to sharpen but you just need a good whetstone.

Also don't buy expensive serrated knives just get a cheap kuhn rikon which is only $20 and replace it once it goes dull. Most professional sharpening services run $20 to sharpen them and how often you slice hard breads should help make your choice here

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Silkworm said:
Knives, expensive or not, are tools that are prone to decay and should Be sharpened regularily. Use a sharpening Rod and you should be fine, if the manufacturer offers a sharpening Tool, use that as well.

Silkworm

Thanks for all the informative replies! :)
My Dad has a sharpening stone which he used to sharpen some of my knives a while ago (his dad was a small grocery owner/butcher so my Dad knows how to do this sort of thing properly) and I thought it did a much better job than my metal sharpening rod. But since I already own the rod and it's pretty much idiot proof, I've stuck with using it so far. At some point I'll probably get a whetstone and learn how to do it that way. Anyway, thanks again for all the helpful information (including the idea of buying cheaper serrated knives and replacing them when they get dull as opposed to buying an expensive one)!

Zyzyxxz

Silkworm said:
Thanks for all the informative replies! :)
My Dad has a sharpening stone which he used to sharpen some of my knives a while ago (his dad was a small grocery owner/butcher so my Dad knows how to do this sort of thing properly) and I thought it did a much better job than my metal sharpening rod. But since I already own the rod and it's pretty much idiot proof, I've stuck with using it so far. At some point I'll probably get a whetstone and learn how to do it that way. Anyway, thanks again for all the helpful information (including the idea of buying cheaper serrated knives and replacing them when they get dull as opposed to buying an expensive one)!
Also to note a sharpening rod does not sharpen, in fact its called a honing steel and it realigns the micro/nano teeth that make the edge of a knife.

Using one can lenghten the time between using a whetstone but it only prolongs the edge of a blade and does not replace the need for actual sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom