• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Zyzyxxz said:
My 4th of July went pretty well and all my prep work paid off since everybody enjoyed the food.

here's a preview, more pics tomorrow after I sleep in.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/4762753447_a84592d1b5_b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

So food in the image from my 4th of July bash consists of:

Tapas style tuna salad crostini
fried polenta squares with prosciutto and parmesan shavings
braised duck and taro root
fried shrimp w/ sweet chili sauce
chorizo and potato saute

Pork Belly and Kimchi Apple stir fry
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4766406393_a0a3922382_b.jpg

Corn, bacon, red onion escabeche stir fry in miso butter
4766408479_5a874a1efc_b.jpg

Sheperd's pie with idaho mashed potato topping and red wine braised short rib filling
4767050804_62acff3919_b.jpg

ShinAmano

So not directly cooking related, but I am almost finished with the table for my Big Green Egg:
34900_1538982918362_1348585047_1417998_5588650_n.jpg

Had a little setback on the board that would fit in the front right corner but all should be well once the top boards go on.

I did cook some ribs this weekend that were incredible, but I forgot to get pics. :(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz, awesome food array, how many people did that cater?

ronito, i loled :lol

poweld, great burgers and great presentation, I'd like to see more of you cooking in the future.

ShinAmano, looks professional, did you do the woodwork on your own?

trancekr, good food for a hot day. How long did you let the salad marinate?

Thanks to all of you for sharing, more of it, please!

ronito said:
In honor of recent events I've created this:
The BP Cherry Cheesecake. Fairly easy to make.

That makes ecological disaster seem so delicious. Just curious, why margarine in the crust but butter in the ganache?

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Zyzyxxz, awesome food array, how many people did that cater?

Thanks! There was about 20+ people eating, my mom was also grilling meat on a BBQ outside which I didnt bother taking pics of

15pihr6.jpg

Yep, that time again.

This week: Belle Blanche, a goat cheese

Yet again, it was just quite swell yet not distinctive. Melted well, no oil, good taste, no special smell, and so forth.

Not yet sure what is on the horizon for next week, but I have blown through about half a bottle of my beloved Q's at this point----need to be thinking about what direction to explore next when it is empty.

Been having a crazy craving for pho and spring rolls the last couple weeks (I'm usually not a huge fan of spring rolls). We tried this place out recommended by my sister and it was pretty good stuff. Decided to get a lotus salad instead of spring rolls since we've never had it before.

34194_685394018338_60710639_37421421_4532611_n.jpg

34194_685394023328_60710639_37421422_7338608_n.jpg

(You are not mistaken. There is no cilantro. Fuck cilantro.)

Man that hit the spot. :9

Zyzyxxz

Haven't cooked much, in fact mostly been eating out or at work since I've been doing alot of night services. Hopefully we can get our restaurant open in less than 3 months so I can finally get a consistent work schedule.

What I bought today for lunch:

It's called a whacked stack (bacon, pastrami, roasted chili peppers, fries, lettuce, tomato, and of course a nice and juicy beef hamburger patty.

4782562304_d57dd5e792_b.jpg

What I cooked:

Carbonara with prosciutto and pancetta

4782563832_389c84d7b9_b.jpg

:( The only independent bakery I've had a chance to patron/savor, since the last time we had any around here was back when I was like 8 or some such, had to shut down due to the crap local economy. They'd made it about 7 months out, but just couldn't manage it any longer.

I, of course, found this out just as I was calling in another big order for pickup tomorrow to continue broadening my horizons as I never really had a good vehicle to sample different things made well all these years in the land of desserts. The plan was to keep ordering and then start trying to make'em at home somewhat to bolster the skills.

Here's to you Night n' Day Brownies, Double Chocolate Chip Muffins, Strange Hybrid of Cheesecake and Muffin, Ridiculous Custom-Ordered Ultra Chewy Dark Chcoolate Chip Cookies, and greatest of all, Legendary Dark Chocolate Fudge Marshmallow Heavy Brownies----whom were so spectacularly powerful in flavor that you would continue to taste the thing for like 10 minutes after having finished eating one.

This is the second "greatest eatery X in my whole life thus far" I've lost in recent times, the first being an/my first Epic Deli whose uncanny prowess at absolutely everything indirectly led to my taking up my Gyro/Panini Pizza experiments and thinking more seriously about great food in general and wanting to try/enjoy a far greater variety across the spectrum. I don't know how long it will take until I can get to it, but I definitely want to take a crack at baking some of the place's memorable goods so as to always remember and be able to tell folk at least the gist of it.

Pizza pic from scratch'ish coming late this afternoon for dinner, from that wheat dough that doesn't need much proof time again. This time I will score it and use cornmeal on top of some oil, different cheeses, and maybe something else---only a proper monstrosity of a pizza will help ease my passion's gutkick this day. :lol

Edit: Happy picture time! Canaria cheese, scored, cornmeal, spicy garlic oil, and a good helping of freshly ground mixed peppercorns...and turkey bacon/grated romano.

2u6mlu1.jpg

Bananimus

I've been making an effort to learn how to cook over the past 6 months or so with mixed results. Cook's Illustrated helps a ton.

Braised lamb shanks:
28wkjp.jpg

Cacio e pepe (pasta with a sauce made from pecorino romano cheese and fresh ground pepper):
1qqu6v.jpg

Pizza with sautéed garlic scapes:
2cmkvaw.jpg

Blueberry muffins (the filling is a mixture of fresh blueberries and a jam/reduction):
246mmgx.jpg

Onions stuffed with swiss chard and sausage:
2z3uhbq.jpg

Zyzyxxz, you made that pork belly and kimichi apple stir fry i see. would you be interested in sending me a PM with the recipe/tips for it? looks simply amazing

numble

So any good food blogs out there that people subscribe to?

I'm in China but I've been cooking occasionally, including making a pretty good apple pie (Alton Brown recipe) out of a little electric oven.

Also, late but wow at Zyzyxxz's July 4th food. I'd also be interested in recipes.

Zyzyxxz

numble said:

I'm in China but I've been cooking occasionally, including making a pretty good apple pie (Alton Brown recipe) out of a little electric oven.

Also, late but wow at Zyzyxxz's July 4th food. I'd also be interested in recipes.

Well I made alot of stuff most of it was simple recipes. I recommend trying the bison sheperd's pie recipe out of Bon Appetit a few months back here:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/02/bison_and_red_wine_shepherds_pie

Also for blogs, ones I really like are
Momofuku For 2 http://momofukufor2.com/,
NoRecipes http://www.norecipes.com/,
Cooking Issues (its an informative and education blog on the science of food by two FCI scientists), http://www.cookingissues.com/

www.Tastespotting.com is also a good way to discover new food blogs.

GiJoccin

numble said:

I have a few food blogs that I subscribe to, and two of my favorites are smittenkitchen and mytartelette

mytartelette doesn't seem to post as much as she used to, but her desserts all look so good, and smitten kitchen posts often, and are usually good ones :D her 7 layer cookies floored my family when I made them. One of my cousins said "Where did you get these cookies from? They're the best cookies I've ever had"

Axion22

I was up at MLB All-Star FanFest over the weekend and stopped at Marukai in Costa Mesa. It's an Asian grocery store with a little food court inside.

This is the Daikokuya specialty with a side of fried rice from the little food court.
m5Qon.jpg

And... I was able to pick up some dashi stock!

Zyzyxxz

Axion22 said:
I was up at MLB All-Star FanFest over the weekend and stopped at Marukai in Costa Mesa. It's an Asian grocery store with a little food court inside.

This is the Daikokuya specialty with a side of fried rice from the little food court.
http://imgur.com/m5Qon.jpg[IMG]

And... I was able to pick up some dashi stock![/QUOTE]

By dashi stock do you mean the powdered granules? They aren't bad but nothing beats made from scratch dashi which is so easy (but actually pricier) it only requires dried konbu (kelp) and bonito shavings (dried tuna flakes).

I like Daikokuya but I've had their ramen enough that I am over it. I really like Santouka ramen and Shin-Sen-Gumi Hakata-Ramen

ShinAmano

I am not really a sweets guy so doing something sweet is rare...anyhow I have some guests coming into town this weekend and wanted to test run a little dessert.

Grilled rum and honey soaked peaches with vanilla ice cream and hot caramel:
4795033334_ff4f59d3b4.jpg

I have to say these are damn tasty.

ShinAmano said:
Chicken, onions, green pepper, tomatoes...looks good what is it?

Chicken
Onion
Tomatoes
Green peppers
Garlic
Seasoning
Parsley
Frank's Red Hot
A lot of olive oil

+

Rice (with a little bit of citrus juice)

Axion22

Zyzyxxz said:
By dashi stock do you mean the powdered granules? They aren't bad but nothing beats made from scratch dashi which is so easy (but actually pricier) it only requires dried konbu (kelp) and bonito shavings (dried tuna flakes).

I like Daikokuya but I've had their ramen enough that I am over it. I really like Santouka ramen and Shin-Sen-Gumi Hakata-Ramen

Yeah, I meant the powdered stuff.

Thanks for the tips! I always plan on making it a regular trip but it doesn't happen as often as I want. I'll look for that stuff.

Looking good Stalfos! I can't handle olives, but I can see the rest of it just fine. :lol

We used to have a proper perforated pizza pan some years back, but no longer. Really need to get another decent one at some point---probably do better than the cookie sheet more often than not.

Stalfos

ElectricThunder said:
Looking good Stalfos! I can't handle olives, but I can see the rest of it just fine. :lol

We used to have a proper perforated pizza pan some years back, but no longer. Really need to get another decent one at some point---probably do better than the cookie sheet more often than not.
Thanks, yeah I know some people don't like olives but I love them.

I've only used this pizza pan a couple times now but it seems to work pretty well, I just need to make sure my dough is shaped before putting on the pan because if I need to press it out further then the dough gets pushed through the holes in the pan.

JxwNd.jpg

Look nasty but fuck did it taste good

____

Chicken
Garlic
Sun-dried tomatoes
Chili pepper
Caramelized onions
Homemade pesto mayonnaise
Chiabatta bread

i've got my strip loin dry-aging for 3 weeks, will post pics of the entire process once it's ready to go.

ElectricThunder said:
i don't find them to work very well, at least for me. the bottom never gets cooked enough before the rest is done.

i've been making a lot of pizzas using a screen similar to what i used when i cooked in an italian restaurant., like this:

NVXgn.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CI8VHS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

the bottoms come out perfect.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
delicious enchilladas, thanks for sharing!
Great dishes on the latter half of last page as well, you make me proud, people!

High tea at the Frankfurter Hof:
IMG00037-20100711-0954.jpg

IMG00036-20100710-1751.jpg

w2lezm.jpg

Lunch instead of dinner gyro pizza this time, as my dinner schedule got jacked around plenty this week and I decided to take a stand!

The 3 new factors this time around are:

1. For cheese, this time is Fontinella---found at a local Kroger. It joins the many rather good, not oily, and possessing less than distinctive presence cheeses that have come before it.

2. A nice amount of freshly ground black pepper added on top of the sauce layer.

3.This gyro pizza....is an upside-down gyro pizza! By flipping it over, you gain some key benefits with no drawbacks:

-Smooth "bottom" surface allows for much easier even spread of butter, sauces, and so on.
-It kind of cups upwards at the edges not unlike a dinner plate, which helps keeps ambitious cheese from bubbling over the side and onto the cooking surface.

Unless I forget, I will be doing the rest of my gyro/panini/etc things in this fashion going forward---as it just straight up works so very well.

Went to Fenton's! It just so happens to be their 116th Birthday Celebration today so we got free ice cream and bbq kabobs outside and $1.16 "Black & Tan" ice cream sundaes.

PICS!
34572_687664138998_60710639_37486089_1811979_n.jpg

34572_687664173928_60710639_37486096_6491375_n.jpg

34572_687664183908_60710639_37486098_451369_n.jpg

34572_687664193888_60710639_37486100_3428430_n.jpg

34572_687664208858_60710639_37486103_846434_n.jpg

37680_687664333608_60710639_37486106_4671124_n.jpg

37680_687664343588_60710639_37486108_2152285_n.jpg

Food inside:
37680_687664353568_60710639_37486110_2101524_n.jpg

37680_687664358558_60710639_37486111_3211413_n.jpg

37680_687664363548_60710639_37486112_1255955_n.jpg

37680_687664368538_60710639_37486113_8132914_n.jpg

The special $1.16 "Black & Tan":
37680_687664378518_60710639_37486115_7293681_n.jpg

Hey does anyone know how to emulate the Garlic Soy chicken wings from a korean chain named Kyochon? The place near me closed and I don't want to drive too far for wings that are delicious but too pricey.

ronito

parrotbeak said:
That makes ecological disaster seem so delicious. Just curious, why margarine in the crust but butter in the ganache?
Oh sorry I didn't see this post.

So the reason is I'm mainly cheap. In the crust you really just taste the graham crackers and sugar. The margarine is there just to hold it together.

But in the Ganache the texture and taste is really important. So butter for that.

ronito said:
Oh sorry I didn't see this post.

So the reason is I'm mainly cheap. In the crust you really just taste the graham crackers and sugar. The margarine is there just to hold it together.

But in the Ganache the texture and taste is really important. So butter for that.

Makes sense, thanks.

way more

DMPrince said:
34765_981330488905_23441808_54347684_3694902_n.jpg

my lunch for today. with a bottle of SoBe Power Fruit Punch drink :lol.

But what is that? No offense to anyone, but your picture is my favorite of the bunch. I don't know how to react when I see home chefs make such delicatessen dishes such as this.

4665442334_aa51b1e804_b.jpg

I will finally post pictures of some food I've cooked soon but I've always beloved the adage that at home you should be a cook and never a chef.

Stalfos

Homemade pasta with a mushroom ragu. Making pasta from scratch is a lot of work but it was really good so I think it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom