• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
iljdif.jpg

Panini pizza again, last of the pack so maybe I can finally get back to gyro wraps again next week stock-willing.

Cheese: Colby Jack

The other twist? I finally found some high quality, extra horseradish cocktail sauce and worked in in as well! Turned out really good as it adds nicely to the smell and taste without overpowering anything else really. The Colby Jack was just yet another fast melter that tasted great...so a win all around this bout. :D

Silkworm

Zyzyxxz said:
Also to note a sharpening rod does not sharpen, in fact its called a honing steel and it realigns the micro/nano teeth that make the edge of a knife.

Using one can lenghten the time between using a whetstone but it only prolongs the edge of a blade and does not replace the need for actual sharpening
Ah, hah. That's what I thought. For a period of time I was switching between using the honing steel and a knife sharpener like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009R5OY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 It worked okay I suppose, but eventually I threw it away after I had worn it down to a point it no longer seemed to be working well. I had forgotten that I had used to use it and haven't replaced it thus sticking with the honing steel which gets me by but I can tell it's losing its effectiveness (hence the need to find a good means to actually sharpen my knives). BTW do these types of sharpening devices, like the one I linked to, do an adequate job vs. using a real whetstone? Thanks again for the enlightenment!

Edit: BTW, any opinions on a whetstone like this one? http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=202341
I saw some Shun ones, and this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LTHSJG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 caught my eye, but the Henkles one is ~$30 cheaper and I don't think any of my current knives necessarily need a top notch whetstone :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I use a Henckels sharpener, but Imho it's a better way to use a sharpening rod and then replace the knives if the sharpness fades.

Zyzyxxz

If one is getting cheap quality knives like henckels and victorinox then sure but not $100 usd+ chef's knives, that would be wasteful and get expensive

Damn you Dekalb Farmer's Market....they've discontinued all "foreign" "bread" entities in lieu of only their own stuff specifically----and thus I lose my only outlet to get both Gyro Wraps and Panini as they were the only place that carried them and they don't deal with any inhouse varieties. : (

As such, next week I shall dig around more local grocery places for something...else! Not sure what direction to go...possible Naan or Pita---though the latter doesn't hold much appeal unless I can find something unusual. Perhaps I'll find something else entirely, but still, this sucks! :lol

Chocolate mint guri guri

Guri guri ice cream is a simple dessert originating on Maui in the early 1900s from Japanese immigrants, typically made with strawberry or lime soda and sweetened condensed milk. Usual homemade method is to mix those two ingredients in about a 3 to 1 ratio, then freeze and stir manually every 2-3 hours.

Boil and steep fresh mint leaves in water for 5 hours. Blend and strain out the leaf mash.
Add cocoa powder and raw Maui sugar until liquid is palatable as a drink. I really didn't measure, it's just to taste.
Mix club soda with simple syrup, also made with raw sugar and again sweeten to taste.
Add 24 oz of cocoa mint water, 12 oz of sweetened club soda, 14 oz of sweetened condensed milk into a big bowl, mix until everything is homogenized.
Freeze, then stir and break up all ice chunks every 2-3 hours. Do this 4-5 times.
Pack into individual serving cups, then freeze again for 8 hours.

Sorry no pics, it's just in cups right now and I'm not ready to serve; plus shitty cell phone cam. It tastes pretty good, maybe a little sweet for some people. I might skip sweetening the club soda, since the sweetened condensed milk adds a lot of sugar to this already, but normally this would be a regular soda and/or fruit juice.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
ElectricThunder said:
Damn you Dekalb Farmer's Market....they've discontinued all "foreign" "bread" entities in lieu of only their own stuff specifically----and thus I lose my only outlet to get both Gyro Wraps and Panini as they were the only place that carried them and they don't deal with any inhouse varieties.

Have you considered making your own? There's a bit a prep involved, but this sort of bread is very simple, the extras will freeze well, and it's going to be better than anything you'll buy at the store.

Zyzyxxz

Got back from my Chicago trip yesterday. Didn't get to eat as much as I wanted to but I do plan on returning eventually.

At the Chinatown I ate at Joy Yee Noodle since my friend wanted to (IMO it sucked but the display was pretty grand and ridiculous enough for a picture).
4964076761_8df1fa4dcf_b.jpg

Finally had a chance to try White Castle (I just had too since we dont have them on the West Coast).
4964076255_71fb7834ed_o.jpg

Got some Chicago stuff pizza from Bacino's, it was well built and tasty!
4964678816_6888eb7b4c_o.jpg

Great breakfast at Bongo Room, perfectly cooked eggs benedict of beef tenderloin
4964075195_b0c0cc9c07_b.jpg

The highlight of the trip for me was XOCO by Rick Bayless, really made me want to visit Frontera Grill (although you need a 2 month in advance reservation). They have a wood-burning oven and cook some of their tortas in it. IMO this is the pinnacle of tortas, taking them from simple street fare to a higher level of refinement. Also they serve some freaking good guacamole; creamy, chunky, fresh, and not runny.
4964678118_e1692cab29_b.jpg

4964075869_48f058113c_b.jpg

4964678494_1ea0529f07_b.jpg

Cosmic Bus said:
Have you considered making your own? There's a bit a prep involved, but this sort of bread is very simple, the extras will freeze well, and it's going to be better than anything you'll buy at the store.

I had not honestly, given the lack of any baking experience along those lines around here. Still, you raise a good point for something to consider---especially given that I saved most of the bags they came in and have plenty of ties and whatnot.

Zyzyxxz: Yay for Chicago pizza pic!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
ElectricThunder said:
I had not honestly, given the lack of any baking experience along those lines around here. Still, you raise a good point for something to consider---especially given that I saved most of the bags they came in and have plenty of ties and whatnot.

Don't worry about lack of experience: they pretty much only require that you can mix a few things together and have some patience while it rises for a while.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/viewtopic.php?id=55711

If you wanted to try something similar but even easier, white flour tortillas/gorditas have fewer ingredients, don't have to be kneeded and puff up into beautifully soft, chewy discs that would work fine for your pizza thingies.

Zyz: I'd like to try one of Bayless' restaurants someday... The torta and guacamole look fantastic. And that deep dish pizza! Oh man.

Cosmic Bus said:
Don't worry about lack of experience: they pretty much only require that you can mix a few things together and have some patience while it rises for a while.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/viewtopic.php?id=55711

If you wanted to try something similar but even easier, white flour tortillas/gorditas have fewer ingredients, don't have to be kneeded and puff up into beautifully soft, chewy discs that would work fine for your pizza thingies.

Zyz: I'd like to try one of Bayless' restaurants someday... The torta and guacamole look fantastic. And that deep dish pizza! Oh man.

Thanks for the link, I'll bookmark it and give it some thought...pretty much along similar lines of making proper pizza dough from scratch---one of those things that is bound to come up at some point.

Waaay back in the thread, the genesis of this all originally came from using spinach tortillas, though I never had any that got puffy in the slightest. Perhaps that is moreso the realm of this gordita thing...

Zyzyxxz

ElectricThunder said:
Thanks for the link, I'll bookmark it and give it some thought...pretty much along similar lines of making proper pizza dough from scratch---one of those things that is bound to come up at some point.

Waaay back in the thread, the genesis of this all originally came from using spinach tortillas, though I never had any that got puffy in the slightest. Perhaps that is moreso the realm of this gordita thing...

You should get into making your own dough, I think it would only be a bigger positive to your passion for your favorite food and with practice I think it will taste better too.

Cosmic Bus said:

Definitely do. XOCO is his more budget friendly and newest restaurant out of his 4 total. Anything from his wood-burning oven turns out good.

The guacamole was amazingly chunky and creamy, I'm pretty sure that stuff never sees a food processor and only a pestle and mortar. The freshly fried tortilla chips also make me want to believe that it is the only way it should be done. I'd much rather have a small order of fresh fried chips rather than unlimited supply of prepackaged crap that many chain Mexican places do.

Teitan

Neo Member
Been lurking GAF and especially this thread for months (if not years) now, so I guess I owe it a bump. Thanks to all those people posting their culinary achievements, mishaps and, of course, disasters. I honestly envy you.

Since I'm not much of a cook, my options for contributing are more than limited at this point, but I don't want to leave my first post in this thread without pictures, so here goes a cake I "manufactured" a few days ago:

_IMG_0283.jpg

OnkelC said:
Looks great! recipe would be appreciated.

I used this as the base recipe though I made some changes. I measure by eye but here are the approximate measurements. :X

12 chicken thighs
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1 cup all purpose flour, for dredging
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 onion, chopped
1 bulb garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
8 large tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1 16oz. jar drained capers
1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves

Sprinkle the chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour to coat lightly.

In a large heavy saute pan, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and saute just until brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Sauté onion and garlic to the same pan and saute over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice, broth, capers and oregano. Return the chicken pieces to the pan and turn them to coat in the sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Continue simmering over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through - about 20 minutes for the thighs. I like the chicken to fall off the bone so I simmered for about 1-1.5 hours.

Serve with rice and basil.

qzi16t.jpg

A much needed 6-Cheese (Last small bit of Bergenost and that Sargento Mexican Pack) Turkey bacon, garlic powder, grated parmesan, and Extra-Horseradish Cocktail Sauce Pizza.

It was fantastic and the cocktail sauce has now pretty much secured a place in the pantheon alongside the likes of The Q's, Franks Original, and other legends.

60223_10150254180615077_606125076_14672017_3822411_n.jpg

Glass Noodles boiled in miso, fried onions/carrot/mushroom in rice vinegar/olive oil and miso, improvised home made tomato sauce, rice paper wraps. Got the hots for rice paper wraps and glass noodles these days ever since I tried them at this vegan asian fast food place. So had to try these things for myself and really enjoying the texture :):

Today was farmers market day so etiolate and I ordered our usual rotisserie chicken and had a lamb curry wrap:
46635_702612711938_60710639_37905073_59102_n.jpg

59014_702612731898_60710639_37905075_897428_n.jpg

59014_702612736888_60710639_37905076_7185904_n.jpg

Afterwards we walked to the Penny Ice Creamery and had "earl grey" and "verve coffee and almond toffee" ice cream:
58259_702612811738_60710639_37905084_703117_n.jpg

58259_702612801758_60710639_37905082_2424125_n.jpg

Later in the evening we watched Ponyo and had ramen with ham (and other stuff):
58259_702612821718_60710639_37905086_5336683_n.jpg

58259_702612826708_60710639_37905087_8194216_n.jpg

Some asshole stole etiolate's chopsticks. It sucks making/eating ramen with a fork.

Zyzyxxz

CrystalGemini said:
Later in the evening we watched Ponyo and had ramen with ham (and other stuff):
58259_702612821718_60710639_37905086_5336683_n.jpg

58259_702612826708_60710639_37905087_8194216_n.jpg

Some asshole stole etiolate's chopsticks. It sucks making/eating ramen with a fork.

Hahaha, I love it!

You should have gotten a giant slice of ham the size of the bowl just to be like the movie. It's strange how movies affect what you want to eat sometimes and makes it seemingly taste better.

EricM85

I just finished cooking/eating some awesome chocolate soufflé. GF and I actually just made them our dinner tonight. :D First pic is about 15-20 minutes in, second is right after I took it out and threw some whipped cream on.

15mk01s.jpg

2hi5gmw.jpg

EricM85

ElectricThunder said:
I've never had a chocolate souffle before, or any souffle for that matter. What are they like...something like a cake/brownie/etc?

The one above is similar in taste only. Souffle can take on many different forms, it doesn't have to be just chocolate. I've personally made everything from seafood souffle to cheese souffle. You should try making it sometime, they're really not as difficult as people seem to think.

EricM85 said:
The one above is similar in taste only. Souffle can take on many different forms, it doesn't have to be just chocolate. I've personally made everything from seafood souffle to cheese souffle. You should try making it sometime, they're really not as difficult as people seem to think.

It requires technique, but it's as simple as a sponge cake, you just have to be gentle with the mix. Those souffles look amazing btw. Did an orange liqueur souffle with toasted hazelnuts a few months ago, my new favorite kind of souffle.

Silkworm

ElectricThunder said:
I've never had a chocolate souffle before, or any souffle for that matter. What are they like...something like a cake/brownie/etc?
I can't comment on the chocolate souffle, but I've had a cheese souffle before. I recall there being a distinct egg flavor along with the cheese. Most souffle's use a lot of egg yolks and egg whites, so while I'm sure the chocolate has the most pronounced flavor I'm willing to bet there'd also the flavor of the eggs as well. I can almost imagine what a chocolate souffle might taste like, a very light and soft moist texture with a chocolate-eggy taste, I would guess somewhat custard like? Maybe not, but even so it's got my taste buds salivating :-D Now I just need a souffle dish and I can find out for myself (or I could try that skillet lemon souffle dish from Cook's Illustrated) ;-)

BTW, that Grand Marnier souflee with toasted hazlenuts sounds delicious!
I saw a recipe for a Kahlua souffle with ground espresso which also looked interesting.

Necrovaar

Neo Member
I am watching this thread forever now and I thought it's time to post some stuff I make every week, everything in this thread looks so good!

Chocolate Souffle with melted white and milk chocolate inside and powdered sugar on top.
omtjo.jpg

2mqtcw9.jpg

Chocolate and biscuits cake with maple cream.
2iszklh.jpg

10eggzt.jpg

Nutella and cheese cake.
ncju2r.jpg

29mt89s.jpg

Chocolate and peanut butter brownies.
34zxdw3.jpg

20sgg1j.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's like a glorious mockery of the American Diabetes Association. I hope to God those weren't all made in the same night! :lol

Door2Dawn

Banned
CrystalGemini said:
I used this as the base recipe though I made some changes. I measure by eye but here are the approximate measurements. :X

12 chicken thighs
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1 cup all purpose flour, for dredging
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 onion, chopped
1 bulb garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
8 large tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1 16oz. jar drained capers
1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves

Sprinkle the chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour to coat lightly.

In a large heavy saute pan, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and saute just until brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Sauté onion and garlic to the same pan and saute over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice, broth, capers and oregano. Return the chicken pieces to the pan and turn them to coat in the sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Continue simmering over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through - about 20 minutes for the thighs. I like the chicken to fall off the bone so I simmered for about 1-1.5 hours.

Serve with rice and basil.
I'm trying to make this dish and I was just wondering if the wine is absolutely needed, or can be replaced with something else?

GAF, I need help with Steaks.

I have never bought or cooked Steaks before, in fact, having spent 17 years in India for my childhood, I didn't even have a streak to eat until I was like 21 and had been in the US 4 years.

But, this week, I got a New York Strip, because it fit into my current diet.

And now, its Saturday, and I am like, lets have some Steak for dinner...and I have no idea how you are supposed to cook it. I remember reading something about people Salting it, is that needed?

I have a new Foreman, so planning to use that to Grill it.

Any suggested marinades/seasoning? Olive Oil + Salt + Pepper?

Necrovaar

Neo Member
Cosmic Bus said:
It's like a glorious mockery of the American Diabetes Association. I hope to God those weren't all made in the same night! :lol

Hehehe...don't worry, I make something different every friday, mostly only 1 thing, I will post more stuff later on :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Door2Dawn said:
I'm trying to make this dish and I was just wondering if the wine is absolutely needed, or can be replaced with something else?

If wine isn't an option, I'd suggest adding about a half cup of additional chicken stock and a half cup of white vinegar or cider vinegar.

Shanadeus

Banned
Necrovaar said:
I am watching this thread forever now and I thought it's time to post some stuff I make every week, everything in this thread looks so good!

Chocolate and biscuits cake with maple cream.

Nutella and cheese cake.

Chocolate and peanut butter brownies.
Recipes please!

33kzngi.jpg

Well, here we have my first, and HIGHLY unoptimized bout with Naanza---called such just because it has a nice ring to it somehow. Gogo Garlic Naan found at Publix. :lol

Cheese was some Baby Swiss, which was really pretty blah and unremarkable in a boring way. Still good, but so was regular Swiss, so I fail to see a future draw to it really.

First, the instructions were crap. "Done in 2-3 minutes"? Not so likely...I went to 4, and by the time I got all things situated, it was clear to me that I should have went to at least the usual 5ish the gyro/panini enjoyed in the tiny oven instead of the big one that needed me to pre-heat to 400 then put it in on a cookie sheet. Mind, things were still done---but nowhere near satisfying as they should've been.

Second, I bungled the herb butter in terms of timing for it to cooperate spread wise, so that didn't work so well as I was caught for time with the oven beeping and not wanting to waste any more time/power than I could help.

Next time: Better diligence on butter, cook ONE first, then hotswap the 2nd one in while I eat the first as the pair just barely fit on the sheet and I reckon that impacted in its own way, and cook each for at least 5 min at the 400 recommended on the packaging. Also, I'm pretty sure I will try it on foil(Screw YOU instructions!) to see if that works well enough, as I'd sooner not have to mess about with washing a cookie sheet every Saturday night for so...little/not a dozen+ delicious cookies of some fanciful sort. I might be able to fit it in the little oven, but kinda doubt it due to the irregular shape they've got going.

Progress~ :shakes fist:

Well, cooked my first steak.

Dry Rub of Salt, Pepper, Oregano/Basil and some red pepper.

Cooked on grill. I overcooked it this time, it was Well Done. Next time I will try Pan.

It was still good, some parts too chewy, but otherwise tender and easy to eat even though it was Well Done. Also Tasy. Served with Grilled onions and Grilled Baked Potatoes.

scvuj4.jpg

Maiar_m

You guys all make me regret not taking culinary class when I was younger.
Anyway, I got a new DSLR, so here's my first picture for GAF and it greatest thread:

mg4408.jpg

Prune pie. It looks like a clafoutis, but it's actually a lot softer, the paste il like a mousse. Very light and great for summer. recipe on demand.

Zyzyxxz

Some random tidbits from my cooking experiments over the last week. Work has been hectic ever since I got back from Chicago. I'm finally gonna quit as I reach the half-year mark my dissatisfaction with the quality of work at The Flying Pig Truck has reached its high. I'm hoping that I can finally move onto a job cooking on the line.

Some soy-pork demi glace
4983939201_68e0fd82ac_b.jpg

stuff for molecular gastronomy
4984538224_26ca87665d_b.jpg

Pan seared ribeye and scallop with buttered rice
4983939615_8667909bcc_b.jpg

Now for something a bit more serious:

Momofuku's Pig Head Torchon, is a good example of how to use "unwanted" parts of animals. As a serious believer in "whole animal" philosophy of cooking, I should do my part to use the uncommon parts of animals and show them as tasty and edible parts.

So here we have half a pigs head, with the eyes and brains in tact
4984075019_44d5eb88a6_b.jpg

I'll save the ear for braising and deep frying later on.
4984077957_a53d23ce82_b.jpg

After braising in salted water with carrots, onions, and scallions I find out I did not burn off all the hairs :lol . Well a quick blowtorch takes care of that.
4984678904_cef88a3f95_b.jpg

Once it cools down I separate the meat and fat/skin and proceed to create a layer of mulched fat and skin with the meat to be wrapped inside of it.
4984082745_c5094d6e05_b.jpg

After rolling it and putting in the fridge overnight I cut a slice off and check out the cross section, not bad but the pig's head had alot less fat than the Momofuku pictures showed.
4984089601_2cdfba1dec_b.jpg

Served with some dijon mustard and cilantro garnish it was good. There are foods that you look at and know are bad for you. This is one of those foods that I eat and know I'm going to die early if I eat anymore of it. I would relegate this dish as a small bite out of fear. I immediately took a breath mint after eating this as to take away the strong porcine flavor out of my mouth.
4984092357_80eea034d6_b.jpg

http://modernistcuisine.com/

Link says it all, who among IronGAF is intending to buy this crazy, seemingly useful thing for the low, low price of.....a stack of "overpriced" college texts here in the states? :lol

It does sound pretty ridiculous...and for some reason I can picture staring at pictures of them on here with Onkel's watch serving as a "bookmark" at times all to easily...

AndyD

aka andydumi
I am loving the new Food Truck Race show on TV now, and I want to try one of those vietnamese sandwiches.

So what recipes do you have GAF? How do I cook the meat? Can I buy the pickled daikon/carrot mix or should I make my own? I just pickled some red onions and had them on burgers this past weekend, why didn't I do it years ago?

Zyzyxxz

AndyD said:
I am loving the new Food Truck Race show on TV now, and I want to try one of those vietnamese sandwiches.

So what recipes do you have GAF? How do I cook the meat? Can I buy the pickled daikon/carrot mix or should I make my own? I just pickled some red onions and had them on burgers this past weekend, why didn't I do it years ago?
Auctually I might be on that show for the 2nd season if we take part in it. The Nom Nom truck's food isn't that great, they've given me a sample and its nothing special compared to real old school viet joints and costs 2-3 times as much

Sumidor

Zyzyxxz said:
Auctually I might be on that show for the 2nd season if we take part in it. The Nom Nom truck's food isn't that great, they've given me a sample and its nothing special compared to real old school viet joints and costs 2-3 times as much
Yeah, Banh Mi should typically only cause like 2-3 dollars at most. But I love Misa, and I hope they win.

GREEK FESTIVAL!!!
59101_703852362668_60710639_37936627_6575043_n.jpg

57982_703852377638_60710639_37936628_4515604_n.jpg

57982_703852387618_60710639_37936630_7760038_n.jpg

Our dolmathes were kind of falling apart. I imagine the little old lady that made our dolmathes was on their 1000th dolmathe and could barely roll those little grape leaves up anymore due to arthritis. They were still delicious. :D

I also decided to open up my mind and stomach to fake Chinese food. Etiolate is very important to me and I want to understand his culture as he seeks to understand mine. Likewise I will also be forcing him to try Hong Kong style cafe food in which fake American food is served. Baby steps!
61814_703852437518_60710639_37936634_58930_n.jpg

61814_703852442508_60710639_37936635_2245444_n.jpg

West Lake Beef Soup:
61814_703852457478_60710639_37936638_6982775_n.jpg

Mushu Pork:
61814_703852467458_60710639_37936640_8166230_n.jpg

Mongolian Beef:
61814_703852472448_60710639_37936641_2339083_n.jpg

Overall it was an interesting experience. The waiter freaked out when he realized I spoke Cantonese. :lol I wouldn't order any of these dishes on my own but I'm glad have some knowledge of what they are. :)

:lol
etiolate is my boyfriend and a poster here (on GAF). He's a white dude and I'm a Chinese chick. Waiter was surprised I actually speak cantonese because I'm ABC.

ChryZ

Darren870 asked me via PM for two recipes. I had no digital copy at hand. It was a bit of work to write them down. so I might as well share them here for the (hopefully) greater good:

Oven roasted tomato sauce with baked feta, ouzo flambéed shrimps and scallions
p1010287.jpg

Tomato sauce ingredients:

- three garlic cloves
- three shallots
- two big cans of skinned tomatos
- two bay leaves
- one whole cinnamon stick
- salt and pepper
- 200ml excellent olive oil

Ingredients for the rest of the dish:

- 200g feta cheese
- three to five scallions
- two garlic cloves
- ten fat shrimps
- two table spoons fresh or dried thyme
- 2cl ouzo
- pepper

Tomato sauce directions:

Crush garlic, slice shallots. Drop tomatoes, cinnamon, crushed garlic, bay leaves into a pot and add as much/little water to cover it all. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the sliced shallots, continue to simmer for another 20 minutes but uncovered. Sauce should have thickened by now so stir occasionally or it will burn easily. Add olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper and give it another 15 minutes.

Rest of the dish:

Heat oven, 180C/356F. Crumble feta, slice scallions, crush the remaining garlic and clean shrimps. Move tomato sauce to a casserole dish (remove cinnamon stick and bay leaves, if necessary) and top with crumbled feta. Roast tomato sauce and feta until the cheese starts to brown a little. In the meantime pan fry garlic, thyme, half of the chopped scallions in a splash of olive oil. Add the pan fried stuff on top of the casserole. Same pan, stir fry the shrimps in the remaining (now well seasoned) olive oil until pink, then add the ouzo and set them on fire to flambé their crustacean asses. Top the casserole content with flambéed shrimps, add a bit of pepper and roast everything for another 5 minutes. Garnish with the remaining chopped scallions. Delicious on rice or with some pita bread.

Korean chili paste, crazy old soybean paste, ginger, garlic, sugared chicken, zucchini, scallions, soju
p1010321.jpg

Ingredients:

- two chicken breasts or deboned tights
- big zucchini or two small ones
- cup of chicken stock
- four big garlic cloves
- enough ginger to match the garlic, 1:1 ratio
- one table spoon of sugar
- five scallions
- bottle of soju or sake (rice wine)
- one table spoon rice wine vinegar
- two table spoons of gochujang (korean chili paste)
- one tea spoon of doenjang (korean soybean paste)
- roasted sesame seeds
- sesame oil pressed from roasted seeds (the pungent stuff)
- soy sauce

Directions:

Slice the chicken and marinate it in sugar for 2-4 hours. Slice scallions, separate whites and greens. Quarter zucchini lengthwise, remove mushy seed center of the four parts and slice its remaining meat. Crush garlic and grate ginger. Heat deep fry pan, add: stock, garlic, ginger, gochujang, doenjang, a proper splash of soju/sake, rice wine vinegar, zucchini, white scallion slices and chicken. Bring everything to a boil (see picture :p), reduce heat and simmer until the zucchini is done. Store bought stock can be pretty salty by itself, so only if necessary season to taste with a little bit of soy sauce. For reference, the dish should be more on the slightly sweeter and hotter end. Garnish with scallion greens, a drizzle of sesame oil and some sesame seeds.

This recipe can easily be modified, e.g. replace chicken stock with fish/oyster sauce and chicken meat with seafood: bam, new dish (sort of).

Maiar_m

Between this and the national food topic, it's hard not to get ideas to cook these days.
Well this might be out of season, but it still was quite good:

mg4457.jpg

Cinnamon crumble muffins. Recipe on demand.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm too critical of myself: all I can see are the flaws in the Daft Punk cake I made for a friend-of-a-friend this weekend. :lol

4999958621_dae9c4f11b_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom