• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Sorry for not posting in a while, but my mother in law passed away this week and i am busy helping to organize the funeral.

Great stuff everybody!

JayDub

CrystalGemini said:
:lol
etiolate is my boyfriend and a poster here (on GAF). He's a white dude and I'm a Chinese chick. Waiter was surprised I actually speak cantonese because I'm ABC.

Christ. You call other chinese people with thick accents, FOB, too?

I cant help but get all uppity when my buds call other chinese people, FOB or ABC. Its fuckin stupid.

neos

m8e00l.jpg

Jacobi

Banned
JayDub said:
Christ. You call other chinese people with thick accents, FOB, too?

I cant help but get all uppity when my buds call other chinese people, FOB or ABC. Its fuckin stupid.
what does that stuff mean?

Maiar_m

Fresh Off the Boat and American Born Chinese.
Had to look for it myself. Food should bring both sides together in a feast of outrageously delicious dishes anyway.

S. L.

Zyzyxxz said:
Some random tidbits from my cooking experiments over the last week. Work has been hectic ever since I got back from Chicago. I'm finally gonna quit as I reach the half-year mark my dissatisfaction with the quality of work at The Flying Pig Truck has reached its high. I'm hoping that I can finally move onto a job cooking on the line.

Served with some dijon mustard and cilantro garnish it was good. There are foods that you look at and know are bad for you. This is one of those foods that I eat and know I'm going to die early if I eat anymore of it. I would relegate this dish as a small bite out of fear. I immediately took a breath mint after eating this as to take away the strong porcine flavor out of my mouth.
that pighead thing looks insanely good

Alucrid

Banned
Maiar_m said:
Between this and the national food topic, it's hard not to get ideas to cook these days.
Well this might be out of season, but it still was quite good:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4371/mg4457.jpg[IMG]

Cinnamon crumble muffins. Recipe on demand.[/QUOTE]

Demand. :D

Maiar_m

Alucrid said:

Cinnamon crumble muffins:

Ingredients for 12:

Crumble:

70g all purpose flour
88g light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
70g cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
You might have leftovers (I did) so don’t hesitate to either cut the proportions or prepare an apple crumble on the side.​

Muffins:

280g all purpose flour
100g caster sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
44g light brown sugar, packed
113g butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
180ml whole milk
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
100g dark chocolate​

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Depending on the type of tray you’ll be using, do your usual buttering / papering / watering.

Make the crumble first by mixing the dry ingredients first, then adding the butter (a slightly softened but not melted butter will be best) and working the mix with your fingers. Some like their crumble to be sand-like, some like it rougher, with biggers grains. Have it your way, adding flour and sugar if you feel like it.
For the muffins, you’ll first mix the flour, the two sugars, the cinnamon and the baking powder all together. Make sure there are no clumps of brown sugar in there.
In another cup, mix the melted butter, the milk and the vanilla extract with the two yolks and one of the egg whites. Keep the other one and beat it into a solid snow.
You can pour the milk, egg and butter into your dry mix. Again, make sure you stir thoroughly and have no clumps. Take a third of the resulting batter and pour it into a separate bowl.
Melt the black chocolate without cooking it, and add it to that third of the batter. Add the beaten egg white softly.
You can now pour the non-chocolate batter into a fourth of each muffin cup. Layer it with some of the chocolate batter, and then again with the regular one, leaving at least a fourth of each cup empty. Sprinkle your crumble on top, pressing softly on the crumbs to make sure they’ll stick to the muffin. Again, be carful not to overfill your cups, these things are going to grow and spread.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold. Enjoy.

Even better served with: Hot chocolate / Latté.

I put all my recipes there anyway, if you don't feel like writing it down ^^

And today, different thing:

mg4520.jpg

Bite-sized chorizo and dried tomato cookies

Zyzyxxz

Schrade said:
I had a hard time understanding what the heck they were talking about too.

Here's a link I found about it:

http://chineseppl.blogspot.com/2008/04/abcs-vs-fobs.html

pretty much this. I use the term FOB not as a derogatory remark but more of a cultural identifier since most FOBs tend to live a much different lifestyle than ABC's.

Although not American born I am more like an ABC since I like my steak and eggs, english music, and boring hair.

This separation is a result of a society that has a difficult time finding a place for young Asians. Do you choose to integrate yourself into "white" society or stick with your Asian roots and standout.

Aquavelvaman said:

What's the difference between this food grade calcium salt and calcium chloride for aquariums? Besides the aquarium stuff being a good bit cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EHCDOY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I really like the fruit spheres at frozen yogurt places, and want to try making some savory ones. I'll probably just get the Spice House ones, although it seems like it won't make much - 1 cup of juice for each 2 tbl sps of calcium salt and 1 tbl sp algin?

Zyzyxxz said:
This separation is a result of a society that has a difficult time finding a place for young Asians. Do you choose to integrate yourself into "white" society or stick with your Asian roots and standout.

Move to Hawaii and you can do as much or as little of either and not worry so much about what people think.

Zyzyxxz

parrotbeak said:
What's the difference between this food grade calcium salt and calcium chloride for aquariums? Besides the aquarium stuff being a good bit cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EHCDOY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I really like the fruit spheres at frozen yogurt places, and want to try making some savory ones. I'll probably just get the Spice House ones, although it seems like it won't make much - 1 cup of juice for each 2 tbl sps of calcium salt and 1 tbl sp algin?

I don't really know, the only reason I wanted to try my hand at gel spherification was to try and create faux-caviar for a future implementation.

tirminyl

Made Chicken w/ Rice tonight. I brined the two chicken breasts and then fried it. I made a red wine gravy and a mustard vinaigrette.

IMAG0025.jpg

I attempted to "plate" it

IMAG0028.jpg

I could have slapped my momma because it was so good :D

So, I have been using the Alton Brown method to cook steak for the past week. It is really good, Steaks turning out perfect.

I like mine medium, I recommend it to anyone who has a Cast Iron skillet/pan.

JayDub

Zyzyxxz said:
pretty much this. I use the term FOB not as a derogatory remark but more of a cultural identifier since most FOBs tend to live a much different lifestyle than ABC's.

Although not American born I am more like an ABC since I like my steak and eggs, english music, and boring hair.

I completely derailed this thread, apologies food gaf!

But I really want to say this; chinese people get enough shit via side jokes and harmless laughs already. We do not need to separate ourselves via this RIDICULOUS "ABC" or "FOB" fiasco. This shit go all the way back to the 60's.

Seriously, when I went to school, if there was someone fresh from puerto rico, with a thick heavy accent, none of the other latinos would laugh at him. But chinese youth are so willing to jump on each other.

Cut that shit out. Start with ending the use of the terms "ABC" and "FOB."

Therion

cartoon_soldier said:
So, I have been using the Alton Brown method to cook steak for the past week. It is really good, Steaks turning out perfect.

I like mine medium, I recommend it to anyone who has a Cast Iron skillet/pan.

Neat, I've just started doing this as well. I've also been throwing some vegetables (tried potatoes and Brussels sprouts so far) around the sides before it goes in the oven and then finishing their cooking while the steak rests. Produced some great results.

Therion said:
Neat, I've just started doing this as well. I've also been throwing some vegetables (tried potatoes and Brussels sprouts so far) around the sides before it goes in the oven and then finishing their cooking while the steak rests. Produced some great results.

My main problem now is that the method creates a lot of smoke, at least for me and damn smoke alarm goes off :lol

Zyzyxxz

cartoon_soldier said:
My main problem now is that the method creates a lot of smoke, at least for me and damn smoke alarm goes off :lol

I hear that problem alot.

Most Asian households like myself own serious ventilation system because we know cooking can create alot of smoke.

It help to have high ceilings like I do but consider have a fan that blows out of a window to create a suction of some sort.

Zyzyxxz said:
I hear that problem alot.

Most Asian households like myself own serious ventilation system because we know cooking can create alot of smoke.

It help to have high ceilings like I do but consider have a fan that blows out of a window to create a suction of some sort.

In this US apartment, kitchen area has no windows.

I do keep the vent on, but the smoke when I take the skillet out of the oven is just too much for it to handle.

Although granted, today, I heated the skillet up for much longer than usual.

Zyzyxxz

cartoon_soldier said:
In this US apartment, kitchen area has no windows.

I do keep the vent on, but the smoke when I take the skillet out of the oven is just too much for it to handle.

Although granted, today, I heated the skillet up for much longer than usual.

you are using a cast iron or a stainless steel?

Either way try using something that has a higher smoking point, when searing steak you want the pan as hot as possible but you don't necessarily want the smoke.

Try peanut oil or some kind of nut oil, it may be pricier but reserve it for very high temperature uses and you don't really need more than 3-5 tablespoons for a steak depending on size.

Zyzyxxz said:
you are using a cast iron or a stainless steel?

Either way try using something that has a higher smoking point, when searing steak you want the pan as hot as possible but you don't necessarily want the smoke.

Try peanut oil or some kind of nut oil, it may be pricier but reserve it for very high temperature uses and you don't really need more than 3-5 tablespoons for a steak depending on size.

Cast Iron, I season the steak in Olive Oil. I will have to look up peanut oil.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
cartoon_soldier said:

The olive oil, even if not virgin or extra virgin, is your issue.

i don't have great ventilation in my kitchen, so i've been putting the cast iron skillet on the grill out back and firing it up to 500+. get the same great sear, and no smoke-filled house.

Therion

SnakeXs said:
The olive oil, even if not virgin or extra virgin, is your issue.

Yep, I've been using peanut oil with no smoke problems. Good thing, since I have no exhaust fan in my apartment.

Also, I use peanut oil a lot because I like the flavor it imparts--although I've seen multiple sources refer to it as a flavorless oil.

Zyzyxxz

cartoon_soldier said:

eek, stop using olive oil!

First of all olive oil is slightly acidic and will prevent your cast iron from building a good seasoning (I try to season my constantly with duck and bacon fat).

Also olive oil has a low smoke point.

Only use for quick saute and frying at less than 320F

Anybody have a favorite meatball recipe? I have an XXXTreme Value PAK!!1! of ground chuck and was going to make a bunch and freeze them. I usually do about 1 egg and 1 milk-soaked slice of bread per pound of meat and season with finely diced onion, garlic, fresh parsley, oregano, salt, parmesan, and red and black pepper before baking (or fry-browning if I'm going to let them cook in a sauce). I'd normally use a mixture of beef and pork, too, but I've got so much beef I was just going to stick with that for this round.

First go at making spring rolls. I've been craving them so bad the last few days. :9

I made them with shrimp or pork (we had some leftover tsa siew/bbq pork), mint, vermicelli and lettuce:
59805_706344618168_60710639_37996488_4319970_n.jpg

Dipping sauce (not pictured) was fish sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, pepper flakes and sesame oil.

Alucrid

Banned
I have a few requests for cooking gaf. Does anyone have any fried rice recipes? I figure that's something fairly easy to make and something that I can keep in the fridge for later. Any other recipes like that would be good as well or any suggestions for sauce to put over rice. I tried just plain butter but it didn't do it for me.

Edit: Also, if anyone's knowledgeable about Philadelphia's Chinatown, where's a good place to buy a wok?

Maiar_m said:
Awesome, thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it out. :D

r7ou4n.jpg

Nice eating for clearing out the leftovers of Baby Swiss and ColbyJack. :lol Good Turkey bacon as usual too, and thankfully no rogue bubblin' either.

Got some different Naan to try for Sat or what have ye, still need to get one of my remaining cheeses. I hope this one fares better than the last set....

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
dskillzhtown said:
Weber Kettle-style grill.

Hmm, never tried it on one like that. Depending on how hot you keep the fire and the size of the cut, it can take anywhere from 6 - 12 hours.

I normally cook them for around 12 hours, but I cook on a smoker pit that uses indirect heat from a firebox, hovering betweent 225 and 250 degrees. You should get a meat or probe thermometer, that will tell you when it's done more than a timer will. I shoot for 200 degrees internal temp on pork butts, and they always turn out great.

Vet2T.jpg

Trying a new pic site, after seeing that Tinypic has caused some people issues.

Round 2 of Naanza!

Cheese this time: Sharp Cheddar

This Naan works MUCH better than the one last time around---I can fit it in the same little oven! Even better, kinda, I don't need/can't fit foil in there with it so it is just a matter of setting the rack up a bit since it is kinda on the thick side to get the toppings well cooked.

Cheese was good without anything terribly notable to it, which I guess I'm not surprised on.

Zyzyxxz

Work has been stressful since I've assumed more responsibilities for our food truck operation which is approaching its one year anniversary and opening of our cafe this December.

I haven't even been eating regular meals, some days I go for the entire day on nibbles when I taste food for quality control checks.

So this is from one week ago and I haven't had a chance to post it. Hopefully I'll get back to my own cooking soon if our catering schedule isn't too bad this week.

I recently bought Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at home and it is truly a wonderful book with many great recipes that are easy to do although time consuming sometimes.

I used his chicken brine for a chicken leg which I then browed, baked, broiled with yakitori sauce and served over saffron and butter rice.
5027325950_97edb34f14_b.jpg

Haven't made anything noteworthy as of late but I did grab some CREAM PUFFS!!!! :D

60165_707514219278_60710639_38020410_4730104_n.jpg

62000_707514279158_60710639_38020417_4882008_n.jpg

We gave most of them to my kiddy cousins but now I regret that decision. :(

Also took mom to Alexander's Steakhouse in Cupertino for her birthday. Great food with equally good service. Tried aged beef for the first time too!

Highlights:
Hamachi Shots
61122_707206021908_60710639_38012932_3210280_n.jpg

Roasted Foie Gras
61836_707205897158_60710639_38012922_784736_n.jpg

Aged T-Bone
63312_707209794348_60710639_38013059_1819116_n.jpg

63312_707209809318_60710639_38013062_5509894_n.jpg

2lb Bone in Ribeye
63312_707209814308_60710639_38013063_4162082_n.jpg

63312_707209819298_60710639_38013064_36486_n.jpg

O2
61122_707206026898_60710639_38012933_1912484_n.jpg

61122_707206046858_60710639_38012937_1603211_n.jpg

61122_707206051848_60710639_38012938_5334402_n.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Applesauce said:
Hmm, never tried it on one like that. Depending on how hot you keep the fire and the size of the cut, it can take anywhere from 6 - 12 hours.

I normally cook them for around 12 hours, but I cook on a smoker pit that uses indirect heat from a firebox, hovering betweent 225 and 250 degrees. You should get a meat or probe thermometer, that will tell you when it's done more than a timer will. I shoot for 200 degrees internal temp on pork butts, and they always turn out great.

I found some youtube vids and followed their instructions. I did the indirect heat thing, with the shoulder on one side, the coals on the other. Took about 8.5 hours. So I got up at 3 AM to have it ready by 12:30 pm on Sunday. Quite the experience. I checked was chicking the grill temp (I have a thermometer rigged to the grill) every hour to keep the temp around 250. Though I really struggled with that at times as the temps seem to raise considerably at times.

I used a remote temp probe so I could be in the house and keeping an eye on the internal temp. Everything I read said the internal temp should be 190-200. It turned out great, though towards the end I had an emergency with the fire looking like it was about to go out all together. I ended up lighting more coals and wood the throwing them in there to finish it up. Most of the morning I had been dropping a few unlit coals in there.

It turned out great, everyone seemed to love it.

Thanks for the response.

Zyzyxxz said:

Yeah, I do that on my weber all the time. I just started using a water pan, though I am not sure if it has any real effect on the cooking. The ribs I made before without using the water pan were just as tender. It does keep a layer of food-related grime off the side of the grill though.

I really do like the weber. I usedd an expensive gas grill before. Using the cheap kettle style has been alot more fun.

ElectricThunder said:
http://modernistcuisine.com/

Link says it all, who among IronGAF is intending to buy this crazy, seemingly useful thing for the low, low price of.....a stack of "overpriced" college texts here in the states? :lol

It does sound pretty ridiculous...and for some reason I can picture staring at pictures of them on here with Onkel's watch serving as a "bookmark" at times all to easily...

Looks interesting but I have too many cookbooks and cooking theory texts from culinary school and my past life. Might get the itch to buy it for Christmas though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom