• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of bakeries here in Los Angeles, you just have to know where to look. Not too many western/European style bakeries, but when you want Latin/Asian/Middle Eastern bakeries, there are plenty. Not to the point where its one in every corner, but plenty enough.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
OnkelC said:
Halcyon, the skillet seems to suffer from an uneven bottom. try to replace it with another one.
It's a wok, the bottom is a bit wonky, maybe that's why. I'll post a pic later, it doesn't look so great.

it's new too :(
Just spent the past half hour cutting fat off of chicken breasts and then cutting them into chunks for some chicken adobo. It's the first time I've ever handled raw meat x_x
I touched raw chicken for the first time yesterday when I wanted to separate the breast meat form the bone, smells nasty. My kitchen cloth still reeks of raw chicken.

Zyzyxxz

Oh come on you guys!

I can debone an entire chicken in 40 minutes. It's the best way to learn the structure of a chicken and to better understand what you eat.

If it grosses you out that much just buy a box of latex restaurant gloves.

Zoe

^ I might do that next time, getting the raw chicken under my nails was unnerving :lol

58121_10100338843082620_7950338_65012604_6597071_n.jpg

Went with 50/50 for the soy sauce and vinegar. I think next time we'll cut back on the vinegar.

Chumly

OnkelC said:
question out of curiosity for US-IronGAF:

How common are bakeries and pastry shops in the US? they can be found around every corner in germany, most are owner-operated, only a few bakery chains in the market.

is it common to buy bread at a bakery or are they bought in supermarkets?
I think they are more common that a lot of people think in the US. I have several Restaurant/Bakeries in my city. Also most supermarkets will make fresh bread as well.

Zyzyxxz

Zoe said:
^ I might do that next time, getting the raw chicken under my nails was unnerving :lol

58121_10100338843082620_7950338_65012604_6597071_n.jpg

Went with 50/50 for the soy sauce and vinegar. I think next time we'll cut back on the vinegar.

holy hell, equal parts soy and vinegar is overkill. Its more like 1 cup of soy and 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar.

Zoe

Zyzyxxz said:
holy hell, equal parts soy and vinegar is overkill. Its more like 1 cup of soy and 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar.

Actually, from all the recipes I was looking at, they were overwhelmingly in favor of vinegar. In fact, I don't think I saw any that put more soy sauce.

Pretty sure my father made it with more vinegar as well. He always used drumsticks though and never bothered marinating.

Zyzyxxz

Zoe said:
Actually, from all the recipes I was looking at, they were overwhelmingly in favor of vinegar. In fact, I don't think I saw any that put more soy sauce.

Pretty sure my father made it with more vinegar as well. He always used drumsticks though and never bothered marinating.

For me chicken adobo is soy flavored chicken with vinegar as a flavor but not a sauce. That's just me and you should go with your tastebuds instead of recipes sometimes.

never posted in here because I am a crap cook.

What are some good beginner meals to cook. Basically all I can do is bolognase, stir frys, and toast.

I would like to learn some curries and other meals to cook and share with other people.

Zoe

Zyzyxxz said:
For me chicken adobo is soy flavored chicken with vinegar as a flavor but not a sauce. That's just me and you should go with your tastebuds instead of recipes sometimes.

Well, my aim was authenticity and recreating my childhood, and I think it hit that pretty well.

Though chicken adobo was always breakfast food when I was growing up :lol

Maiar_m

chicko1983 said:
never posted in here because I am a crap cook.

What are some good beginner meals to cook. Basically all I can do is bolognase, stir frys, and toast.

I would like to learn some curries and other meals to cook and share with other people.
More skilled cooks might disagree with me, but as far as I'm concerned, cooking isn't about "begginer" stuff or not. Find something you want to do, and just effing do it. If it tastes bad, you'll try again, and anyway it's pretty hard to fuck it up to the point it's awful. Don't use salt when you should use sugar, make sure you don't burn anything, don't be stupid with your own addition to the original recipe (that's how it started with the hawaïan pizza) and you'll be fine.

Presentation is something else, but then again, it's subjective. French cuisine used to be quite well-regarded, but its most traditional dishes (boeuf bourgignon, tartiflette, cassoulet...) are a mess when it comes to serving it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Picked from fresh raspberries yesterday. Thinking of making a raspberry sauce for chicken with balsamic vinegar or Grand Marnier. Anyone have any suggestions to round out this sauce?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
CrankyJay said:
Picked from fresh raspberries yesterday. Thinking of making a raspberry sauce for chicken with balsamic vinegar or Grand Marnier. Anyone have any suggestions to round out this sauce?

Your sauce only needs five things: raspberries, balsamic, thyme, shallots or some red onion, and salt.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
If you were using frozen raspberries, I might've advocated it, but with fresh? Don't overdo it. Even the balsamic should be kept to a couple of tablespoons.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
OnkelC said:

How common are bakeries and pastry shops in the US? they can be found around every corner in germany, most are owner-operated, only a few bakery chains in the market.

I live on Long Island, and small bakeries are fairly common... like maybe 1 every sq mile or so. They are mostly Italian-American owned and serve Italian style pastries.

GONz

Okay my first post in IronGAF! (I cook so little when I'm in Beijing :/)

2 weeks ago with a few friends of mine, the idea of introducing some of our foreign friends sprout out while we were around a bottle of wine. We made a plan to organize and prepare the food for such a dinner. My proposal was roasted beef (rôti de boeuf) with smashed potatoes.

Here comes the beef just after being quickly passed in a shallow layer of hot olive oil, to make the surface of the meat cooked to crustiness and before putting it in an oven.
ANztJ.jpg

(please bear with the shitty cellphone pic)

The green stuff you can notice is from the mix of garlic, pepper, salt, various herbs and coriander I mixed and used to stuff some of the stabbings I did in the meat. With the slow cooking in the oven, these spices would diffuse into the meat, mix with the meat juices and add additional layers of taste to the result.

Axion22

OnkelC said:

Besides chains or supermarkets, there's a ton of panadarías (Mexican bakery) in southern California. I've never really bought anything from them other than a sweet bread or something small.

ruqta.jpg

Sharp Cheddar and Dubliner Lots of mixed peppercorn too!

Really hit the spot today, though I didn't grab a pic of it with a new "Australian Cajun Sauce" ( :lol ) in tow----this also worked rather well.

TheExodu5

Banned
I just ordered this bad boy (not my picture):

85491_1_b.jpg

Shun 8" Elite Chef's Knife

This will be my first decent kitchen knife ever. I also ordered a whetstone (1000/6000) and honing steel (ceramic). I look forward to using a knife that doesn't suck. :)

I'm also ordering a rice cooker...but I don't know what to get. Currently, I'm eying these two:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007J5U7/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001154O8W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have no idea what makes the second one better than the first. Does the induction heating make it that much better?

Nice knife! I have one of those (also 8" chef's knife, I believe.) It's a nicely balanced, comfortable knife. It's pretty soft though, so you'll have to sharpen often. Just be careful when sharpening it b/c one side has a steeper angle than the other, I believe.

Made some mussels+shirmp+chicken+chorizo Paella. I always forget to take picture but thought I'd share anyways this time. Used arborio rice instead of what I normally use, long grain white rice. Arborio was pretty interesting with the saffron and chorizo, absorbed quite a bit of the flavor but I think I prefer the long grain purely for the texture.

Was good though, made a bomb stock with the saffron, shrimp shells, chicken bones, and vegetables. Browned the chicken in the stock pot first, remove, saute vegetables and deglaze with white wine. Pick chicken from the bone and threw the bones back in the pot with shrimp shells and seasonings and fresh herbs. Just give the stock a good yellow color and season how you wish, won't tell you everything because if you copy a recipe exact it just isn't really cooking to me :p.

Then saute the chorizo and more vegetables (garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery) in large saute pan. Toss in the rice of your choice and toast it just a bit. Grab the stock which you have already strained and add 1/2 cup and a bay leaf then cover until you need to add more stock. Add a decent amount of lemon zest. Not the greatest with exact times and amounts, I cook by feeling. Keep doing this until it is almost done. Add the shrimp+mussels+chicken and mix well so everything cooks evenly, cover the pot and let it go for another 15 minutes or so. Garnish with lemon wedges, scallions, and chopped tomato. Rice took about 40 minutes, surprisingly fast. I started cooking the stock after I had lunch though, went for 3-4 hours.

Was delicious, I dub thee Risotto Paella. (Smelled so good my Jewish neighbor had a small plate :lol )

That cheese cake looks awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soppressata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorizo

So....who can further educate me on the acquisition and nature of some of these things? The Slices article makes the former seem like perhaps a tricky thing to get a bead on given the odd naming conventions at work here in the states(Seemingly every damn thing is harder to find in GA to boot, save maybe Atlanta bound I guess...grr..), and the latter just seems like a huge variety with the lesson being the Mexican variety is far "worse" than that of the Spanish and Portuguese? This Goan Indian branch sounds kind of nice as I am big on flavour/spice.

I'm rather inexperienced on all of this, only knowing that I once had a Bratwurst which was utterly terrible at an Renaissance fair when I was rather young and that's about the extent of it "exotic"-wise in terms of Sausage fare---somehow it just didn't really come up and I didn't grow up with any sort of real "grill culture" unlike many. : ( I do know that I'm not keen on biting into a big shard of Fennel seed and the like though, for whatever that is worth. I'm approaching the point that, unless somebody can point me towards some new avenues, I've about well ran out of local varieties of Pepperoni for my Pizza experiments and don't feel all that enthused to let that aspect lag behind while I continue to push ahead into new territory with respect to cheeses and such.

Granted, I don't yet have any traction on the dough front aside from the sauces/spices/seasonings on account of lacking a mixer of the apparently needed style that I've seen in pics/videos and as well as quite liking this Wheat one that we just need to proof at room temp in the open for 2 hours from the Farmer's Market---but still.

I know we've got some people closer to the "action" on these fronts in here, so please do chime in if you've some knowledge and experience to drop! :D

TheExodu5

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Nice knife! I have one of those (also 8" chef's knife, I believe.) It's a nicely balanced, comfortable knife. It's pretty soft though, so you'll have to sharpen often. Just be careful when sharpening it b/c one side has a steeper angle than the other, I believe.

You sure about that? Everything I've read tells me that this is one of the hardest knife you can buy. ~64 on the Rockwell scale...whatever that means. I'm kind of afraid of chipping it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well I've been doing research on knives tonight...and it seems that you want to hone for every use, and sharpen maybe every month or two. Harder Japanese knives require honing around every week, and sharpening every year.

This is purely from research though...I have no idea.

Zyzyxxz

TheExodu5 said:
You sure about that? Everything I've read tells me that this is one of the hardest knife you can buy. ~64 on the Rockwell scale...whatever that means. I'm kind of afraid of chipping it.

I use my Global knife everyday at work and I've got very minor chips, doesn't affect the slicing power of it but I can't stand looking at it. Next paycheck I am getting a better whetstone as my current one sucks ass. Depending on what you use it for the material can still chip. Personally I debone alot of proteins and I throw my weight on the knife when I mince large amounts at home.

Either way if I were you, since you got the 1000/6000 just use the 6000 grit side every other day a few strokes and it should maintain it enough that you won't need to use the 1000 side too often.

dakster

Neo Member
Wondering if anyone has a good batter recipe? This is specifically for making chinese balls. Every so often I buy sweet and sour chicken from the local chinese shop, the chicken battered balls that come with it are delicious. I'm not sure if the chicken has been marinated first, or it's just the batter that give them such a good taste. Sometime I think I can taste a hint of lemon in them?

way more

TheExodu5 said:
I just ordered this bad boy (not my picture):

85491_1_b.jpg

Shun 8" Elite Chef's Knife

You really, really, need to be taught how to sharpen a knife and then practice a lot on crappier knives before you sharpen that bad boy.

And good choice. From now on I'll only buy shun knives if I ever need to.

TheExodu5

Banned
mac said:
You really, really, need to be taught how to sharpen a knife and then practice a lot on crappier knives before you sharpen that bad boy.

And good choice. From now on I'll only buy shun knives if I ever need to.

I've been watching videos and read up a bit on it yesterday. Hopefully I can manage. It seems you should only sharpen that one about once a year so I'll give myself a year's worth of practice sharpening a shitty santoku knife I own.

TheExodu5 said:

Is it the hardest? All I know is that I have to sharpen it every 1-2 months to get it to slice the way it did when it first came sharpened from the factory. I use slicing green onions as a guide. If it slices all the way down to the bottom layer = sharp. Otherwise, sharpen time. I hate it when green onion is attached by like, a thin layer.

way more

nakedsushi said:
Is it the hardest? All I know is that I have to sharpen it every 1-2 months to get it to slice the way it did when it first came sharpened from the factory. I use slicing green onions as a guide. If it slices all the way down to the bottom layer = sharp. Otherwise, sharpen time. I hate it when green onion is attached by like, a thin layer.

I test it on my fingernail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045GfZigows

Another way to keep your knife sharp is to use one of these rubber cutting boards.
31WemONoukL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJWFES/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And further more, don't push too hard into the board or drag it once you complete the slice. Treat it like a lady.

Zyzyxxz

Bleh I have been eating like shit for the past 2 weeks due to increased job responsibilities and having to train new food truck crewmembers. Hopefully once we open our cafe I can downsize my role on the foodtrucks to just supervising that part of the operation.

So this is the only thing I cooked that was pictureworthy in the last week. The recent issue of Saveur had an amazing photo of a ketchup baked pork double chop. I aimed to recreate it with a few changes.

I used honey instead of molasses and I seared the chops before baking them and finished them off with the broiler burner on high. I shouldn't have followed the baking times since it turned out little over cooked, which could have been the result of not marinating long enough too. The ketchup sauce I stayed with the recipe except instead of chili sauce I used sambal olek which is very spicy so I used less of it.

recipe here: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Elegant-Pork-Chops

YAY RICE TOWER!
5066102000_0c0912b81f_b.jpg

vBDrm.jpg

Naanza on a Sat night again, this time with normal Gouda and some weird Australian made Cajun sauce. I tried poking holes in the Naan to try and give it some nooks to catch any wayward oil and absorb a bit better, but overall I'm going to need a better tool than a fork to get any sort of good stuffing and the like going.

Was a right tasty time of it all though! :lol

Hello IronGAF. My friends wife gave birth last week and as part of a religious ceremony he killed a goat. He gave me some of the goat meat but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. Can anyone identify what part of goat is in the linked image and any recipes that I can use to cook it?

http://i51.tinypic.com/2gyaa3a.jpg

Neodiablo22 said:
Hello IronGAF. My friends wife gave birth last week and as part of a religious ceremony he killed a goat. He gave me some of the goat meat but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. Can anyone identify what part of goat is in the linked image and any recipes that I can use to cook it?

You should know Goat meat has a really strong odor that can be hard to get rid of. The smell could linger on in your kitchen/house for days even.

Neodiablo22 said:

Ground it up, make spicy tacos. Or throw it away and only tell your friend you made tacos with it.

luoapp

Neodiablo22 said:

It looks like a loin, definitely a decent piece of meat. Do you like goat in general? Easiest would be to make a stew with it. Goat skewers will also be great.

mac said:
I test it on my fingernail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045GfZigows

Another way to keep your knife sharp is to use one of these rubber cutting boards.
31WemONoukL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJWFES/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And further more, don't push too hard into the board or drag it once you complete the slice. Treat it like a lady.

I have one of those rubber cutting boards but damn, they are heavy and a pain to lug in and out of the sink! I notice they have a gross smell when you first get them, but I left mine next to an open window and that got rid of the smell perfectly!

Zyzyxxz

cmonmanreally said:
Zyzyxxz that looks amazing. Which city do you operate your food truck business?

Los Angeles, capital of food trucks now.

We're trying to work on getting our food truck on 2nd season of The Great Food Truck Race but we have no idea whats gonna happen with that.

Any GAFer that actually makes it out to my truck when I'm working it will get hooked up! Just let me know ahead of time.

That'd be awesome to see you on the Great Food Truck Race. Seems like kind of a fun show from the couple episodes I caught.

Are you cooking much, or are you more on the managerial side of things?

Zyzyxxz

When I joined I was doing more cooking, these days I just do what needs to be done to get the job done right. Between our catering deals and street service, working in a food truck for the past half year has been very tiring on me.

When I was hired the boss said we'd be in a cafe in a couple of months and downsize our truck operation to weekends and special events only but that remains to be seen and our cafe doesnt open until December (crosses fingers).

I'd really just like to cook and not have to deal with people though, customers can be very annoying sometimes.

Zyzyxxz said:
Los Angeles, capital of food trucks now.

We're trying to work on getting our food truck on 2nd season of The Great Food Truck Race but we have no idea whats gonna happen with that.

Any GAFer that actually makes it out to my truck when I'm working it will get hooked up! Just let me know ahead of time.

I actually just moved from the bay area back to LA so I would be totally down on coming by. More details please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom