• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
otake said:
wat!? Chorizo is nothing like ground beef and shouldn't cook similar either. you cut it like you would cut a carrot and saute it.

I figured it out. I had Mexican Chorizo that cooks up wet and kind of resembles a sloppy joe when cooked. I strained out some of the oil, finished cooking it, and added it to my rice, onions, and corn for my empanada mix.

Had enough left over to drop in a few eggs and have chorizo y huevos. :p

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly Cyclone said:
I figured it out. I had Mexican Chorizo that cooks up wet and kind of resembles a sloppy joe when cooked. I strained out some of the oil, finished cooking it, and added it to my rice, onions, and corn for my empanada mix.

Had enough left over to drop in a few eggs and have chorizo y huevos. :p

yeah whenever my mom made chorizo and eggs she just cut a chunk off, threw it in a bowl, put it in the microwave until it turned to liquid, then mixed it with the scrambled eggs in the skillet.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
cartoon_soldier said:
Looks nice.

Recipe?
Over here: http://bestrecipeonline.blogspot.com/2009/03/xinjiang-lamb-kebab.html
Cut the 1kg of lamb into long thin strips with a good ratio of its fat

Blend these spices together..
1/2-cup ground cumin
1 tablespoon coriander seeds (optional)
1/4-cup chili flakes
2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
2 tablespoons granulated fresh garlic (replaced with fresh garlic, the conversion is 4 to 1 fresh to granulated I believe)
2 tablespoons salt
½ cup lemon juice (replaced with red wine vinegar)
2 tablespoon of light soy sauce
1/2 cup of olive oil
Note I used 1kg of lamb and half that marinade and they still came out quite flavorful. Although I'm not very good at cutting up meat so I turned them into small cubes rather than long strips (like you'd find in a traditional hole-in-the-wall).

I dusted it with cumin and chili flakes afterwards though, for that authentic feeling!

EDIT: Oh, and using a broiler (since this isn't grilling weather and I don't have a grill anyway), it only takes 2-2.5 minutes per side.

HQVFO.jpg

You lot were right, Prosciutto is pretty damned delicious whether cold or heated up!

Added some Hot sauces(Chipotle and some other Pepper sauce from that set I got for Christmas) to it to help even it out a tad, same Black Diamond Cheddar as the other week, and away I went to Flavour Country.

For the crumble you can't see, I gave BBQ Potato Popchips a try and they too were delicious. These are chips that are neither baked, nor fried, but pressure cooked with a bit of heat not unlike popcorn I reckon----if you find them, go eat them!

Zyzyxxz

Hey Kitchen Aid Mixer fans, I have $100 in Amazon reward points to redeem and I want to use it toward a mixer. Should I spring for the cheapest ones at $200 or is the extra $100-150 for the better models worth it?

I don't plan to use it too often, probably once a week so I won't need the crazy build quality of the professional line.

Stalfos

Zyzyxxz said:
Hey Kitchen Aid Mixer fans, I have $100 in Amazon reward points to redeem and I want to use it toward a mixer. Should I spring for the cheapest ones at $200 or is the extra $100-150 for the better models worth it?

I don't plan to use it too often, probably once a week so I won't need the crazy build quality of the professional line.
My wife and I got the cheap version. So far it seems to be working fine. The main visual difference you'll see is that the cheaper model has the head tilt back to access the bowl and the more expensive model has the bowl lifting mechanism. I think the biggest difference however, is that I believe the cheaper model uses plastic gears while the more expensive version still uses metal gears. This means that the cheaper version will be quieter during operation while the more expensive version will be a workhorse for a serious baker. If you are only going to use it once a week you will probably be fine with the cheaper model.

Zyzyxxz said:

If you're just using it for cake batter and whipped cream, get the cheaper version. If you want to knead bread/pizza dough and noodle dough, get the more expensive one (where the top lifts up instead of flipping over). I got the more expensive one as a gift one year and even though I don't use it every week, it's wonderful for kneading dough when I need it to.

rykomatsu

sous vide carrots..my god...

simple recipe of carrots, butter, sugar, salt...cooked in a water oven at 184F for 50min, then contents dumped all into a skillet, cooked on high heat until reduced to a thick glaze.

I never knew carrots could be so flavorful. I don't know if I can ever go back to boiled or steamed carrots lol

Haly

iebtxc.png

Chicken Karaage (Marinated Deep Fried Chicken Pieces) based off of these two recipes.
Chicken:
About 1-1.5 lbs Thigh or Breast depending on what you like

Marinade:
3 Tbs Soy Sauce
1 Tbs Sake (I used Mirin because I don't have access to Sake)
2 Cloves Garlic
2 Clover Ginger
Corn Starch for Dusting (or potato starch if you want to be authentic
Vegetable Oil for frying

1) Cut chicken into small little cubes or strips or whatever
2) Make marinade
3) Marinade chicken for about 30 minutes to an hour, too much will cause the chicken to toughen up
4) Dredge in corn starch and shake off excess, then into the oil heated to 340 degrees.
5) Fry until golden brown on each side, then place onto paper towel to drain
6) Serve with lemon (I had no lemon on hand QQ)

I inadvertently made two kinds, since I'm a noob at deep frying. Half of them were fried just enough to have a golden brown crust, but lack any crunch. The other half were fried for longer, and developed a thicker crunch, but were charred on some spots. They both taste fine though.

(Not sure what the white spots are, excess corn starch?)

Zyzyxxz

rykomatsu said:
sous vide carrots..my god...

simple recipe of carrots, butter, sugar, salt...cooked in a water oven at 184F for 50min, then contents dumped all into a skillet, cooked on high heat until reduced to a thick glaze.

I never knew carrots could be so flavorful. I don't know if I can ever go back to boiled or steamed carrots lol
I'll give it a try, I rarely sous vide veges since my focus for it is meat but I know that because the veges juices never leave the cooking medium through evaporation and the vegetable continues to cook in its own juices so flavor retention is at its best.

rykomatsu

Zyzyxxz said:
I'll give it a try, I rarely sous vide veges since my focus for it is meat but I know that because the veges juices never leave the cooking medium through evaporation and the vegetable continues to cook in its own juices so flavor retention is at its best.

Understandable :)

Are a lot of the flavor components of vegetables quite volatile? I know they leech out a lot in a pot of water (thus making vegetable stock), but if they don't volatilize, I would think one could boil vegetables quickly, reduce the remaining stock (albeit it might take time), then when just a little bit is remaining, put the vegetables back in and let it reduce down.

slow cooked eggs, poultry, steaks, vegetables...i'm getting a lot of mileage out of this sous vide investment already :)

Haly

Soggy toast is soggy. I underestimated the importance of having stale bread for french toast.

thespot84

Halycon said:
Soggy toast is soggy. I underestimated the importance of having stale bread for french toast.

just use Challah, it doesn't even have to be stale, makes the best french toast hands down.

Stalfos

Halycon said:
What? I've never used stale bread for french toast. What are you using in your egg mixture? You want to saturate the bread and then cook it all the way through. If its soggy after you cooked it then probably didn't cook it long enough and you may have had uncooked egg in there still.

Tr4nce

Ok, my 2nd entry. Sorry for the dark picture, the food looks way better in real life! :)

It's a wrap with some lettuce, some tomatoes and corn, chicken with tandoori spices, some fried bacon and some mayonaise and some grated cheese. The salty bacon makes the overall taste so delicious.

Put the chicken in the pan, wait until it's ready add some chicken and tandoori spices. Put it on a wrap, add some lettuce, tomatoes and corn, mayonaise and grated cheese and voila! A very delicious meal, ready within half an hour!

2m5i1k6.jpg

thespot84

Since I was super busy prepping for the superbowl party I didn't manage to get any pics, but i'll share anyways since everything was really well received.

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno poppers (the hit of the evening):

-half as many peppers as you want poppers (you cut them in half later)
-1 container cream cheese (use more if you also want to make dip out of the filling since you'll have extra)
-as many strips of bacon as you have peppers + a strip or 2 for the filling

Put the strip or two of bacon (for the filling) in a skillet and cook until crispy. While cooking:

Slice the peppers in half lengthwise. Cut out the inside flesh and seeds with a paring knife, and set the insides/seeds aside.

Give the now halved empty peppers a quick run (5 min) in a 450 F oven, remove and set aside to cool a bit so you can work without burning your hands.

Combine the cream cheese, now cooked bacon, and HALF the pepper flesh/seeds in a food processes. You can add the pepper flesh and seeds to taste, but beware this can make for a lot of heat. Once it's all mixed up, scoop the filling into the now cooled peppers.

Cut your bacon strips in half, and wrap each pepper and place them on a baking sheet. Place in oven (still 450F) for 15 ish minutes or until the bacon is cooked. I didn't let the bacon get quite to crispy, but it wasn't chewy either, it was just soft and melted in your mouth. Serve warm.

Pulled Pork:

This has been covered before and I just used a basic recipe. A 4 lb boston butt with bone-in. Season very generously with store-bought bbq seasoning your make your own. Mine had salt, black and white pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and fennel.

Chop an onion and a few garlic cloves and put it in the bottom of a crock pot/slow cooker. Add the pork shoulder, chop and add another onion, then fill will 1 cup or so of ginger ale.

Cook on low for 8-12 hours. Strain the mixture and keep the onions if you like onions in your pulled pork (personal preference). Pull the bone out and shred the shoulder using two forks.

Put the pork/onions back in the slow cooker for another 4-6 hours on low, serve.

If you start late the night before (around 10 pm) you'll have it ready to server around 2:30, and you can keep on 'warm' until dinner if necessary.

I also did the roasted brussel sprouts i'd posted earlier, this time with some crumbled bacon for good measure. Easy stuff and everyone loved it...

Haly

just use Challah, it doesn't even have to be stale, makes the best french toast hands down.
I couldn't find Challah, just using a farm loaf.
Stalfos said:
What? I've never used stale bread for french toast. What are you using in your egg mixture? You want to saturate the bread and then cook it all the way through. If its soggy after you cooked it then probably didn't cook it long enough and you may have had uncooked egg in there still.
I used 1 cup milk, 5 tbs butter, 3 eggs, 2 tbs honey and a pinch of salt. After dumping them in the mixture I sauteed them in butter. Should I leave them on longer? It was starting to blacken on some bits (because the induction stove is heat unevenly). After that I popped them into the oven for about 5 minutes at 375 degrees. Still came out kind of mushy.

Stalfos

Halycon said:
I used 1 cup milk, 5 tbs butter, 3 eggs, 2 tbs honey and a pinch of salt. After dumping them in the mixture I sauteed them in butter. Should I leave them on longer? It was starting to blacken on some bits (because the induction stove is heat unevenly). After that I popped them into the oven for about 5 minutes at 375 degrees. Still came out kind of mushy.
Oh ok, I think you might be using too much milk and its probably not evaporating off enough of that moisture. A recipe that I've found I like is the Joy of Cooking one that calls for 2/3 cups of milk and 4 eggs and I think 2 tbs of sugar (I like to use maple syrup) with a dash of salt. It also doesn't call for any butter in the egg mixture. Sauteing in butter is what I also do, not too hot or else it will get too dark before it cooks in the middle. The oven shouldn't be necessary unless you have really think cut bread, though maybe in the case of your uneven cooking stovetop it might be good to use the oven. Though I'll use an oven at 200 degrees to keep slices warm if I'm preparing a lot.

Haly

I neglected to bring my Joy of Cooking book with me but I'll try that, thanks! I was following Alton Brown's recipe but I think something simpler would be better to practice on.

Zyzyxxz

rykomatsu said:
Understandable :)

Are a lot of the flavor components of vegetables quite volatile? I know they leech out a lot in a pot of water (thus making vegetable stock), but if they don't volatilize, I would think one could boil vegetables quickly, reduce the remaining stock (albeit it might take time), then when just a little bit is remaining, put the vegetables back in and let it reduce down.

slow cooked eggs, poultry, steaks, vegetables...i'm getting a lot of mileage out of this sous vide investment already :)

depends, I know garlic tends to take on a nasty flavor when vacuum sealed.

For the most part veges do take well to cooking sous vide. I think for the average house you could vaccuum seal your favorite veges with some butter, salt, sugar and immerse them in your water bath for an hour and refrigerate an entire batch of them for quick home made meals without a loss of quality and it doesn't take much skill, just knowledge of temperatures and times.

MrBig

I had a friend a long time ago who's parents made some kind of peanut butter desert. It looked like and had the consistency of a log of store bought cookie dough. Very sweet. Had powdered sugar on top. It may have been of jewish origin. Anyone have any idea what it's called and how to make it?

If no one knows what that is can someone recomend a good and uncommon peanut butter dessert. I have to make something relating to peanuts for a class.

thespot84

MrBig said:
I had a friend a long time ago who's parents made some kind of peanut butter desert. It looked like and had the consistency of a log of store bought cookie dough. Very sweet. Had powdered sugar on top. It may have been of jewish origin. Anyone have any idea what it's called and how to make it?

Hrm, I'm of eastern european jewish descent and never heard of it (i'm not an expert other than I consume a lot of it...). Then again peanuts aren't very big in eastern european jewish cuisine. Sorry.

Maiar_m

MrBig said:
So I added a bit of the oil from my store bought natural peanut butter to the last loaf of bread I made and it made it taste amazing. If I were to be making my own peanut butter would I have an excess of it that I can store for cooking stuff with? And can whoever posted the recipe for making it somewhere in this thread repost it?

e: found it http://sugarfirst.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/peanut-butter-recipe/
Sorry, no, usually it's more the other way around: depending on the peanuts' "fatness" you might lack oil when processing it.

Leunam

One of the things I want to do for this year is cook more. I helped my wife with dinner a few weeks ago and this past week I made pancakes for everyone. I want to do that again this weekend but I wanted to check here to see if there's anything people can suggest to supplement pancakes or if they add something to the mix to put a different twist on it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Leunam said:
One of the things I want to do for this year is cook more. I helped my wife with dinner a few weeks ago and this past week I made pancakes for everyone. I want to do that again this weekend but I wanted to check here to see if there's anything people can suggest to supplement pancakes or if they add something to the mix to put a different twist on it.

A blast from 2007. Wow this thread has been active a long time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5305102&postcount=93

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Zyzyxxz said:
Tax refund time!

I wanna buy a pressure cooker, does anyone have suggestions for one that will take lots of abuse?

I'm afraid of those things. It's amazing how mothers and grandmothers used it without fear when it's such a dangerous contraption. You can make some amazing stews with it though, the taste is sublime.

luoapp

Leunam said:

If you did sweet pancakes last time, try savory. Or vice versa.

Stalfos

otake said:
I'm afraid of those things. It's amazing how mothers and grandmothers used it without fear when it's such a dangerous contraption. You can make some amazing stews with it though, the taste is sublime.
I would think almost any these days should have a pressure relief valve (I don't really know though since I haven't used one) and you're not going to be able to open them at high pressures so I think they probably are relatively safe.

ShinAmano

Anyone care to post their Valentine's Day Meal Plans?

So far i am planning on keeping it simple:
Either Stuffed Pork Chops or a Fillet Mignon (Leaning towards the steak)
Season Green Beans
Twice Baked Potatoes
A nice Red/White Wine to compliment the meat
A bunch of champagne after dinner with some chocolate covered strawberries.

Also not actually celebrating on the 14th...will actually celebrate on the 18th.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Italian bread:

5434403351_b9d36be6e4_b.jpg

Started the sponge yesterday afternoon and let that sit for almost 24 hours, then finished the dough, two rises (one at room temperature and one in in steam) and baking over the course of a few hours today. Brushed them with salt water right before going into the oven and then with olive oil when I rotated them halfway through. The recipe, as with most really great bread, is blindingly simple yet produces some of the best-tasting results I've ever gotten, and the super crackly, crunchy crust is genuinely mind-blowing.

Silkworm

Cosmic Bus said:
Italian bread:

Started the sponge yesterday afternoon and let that sit for almost 24 hours, then finished the dough, two rises (one at room temperature and one in in steam) and baking over the course of a few hours today. Brushed them with salt water right before going into the oven and then with olive oil when I rotated them halfway through. The recipe, as with most really great bread, is blindingly simple yet produces some of the best-tasting results I've ever gotten, and the super crackly, crunchy crust is genuinely mind-blowing.

Wow, that looks awesome (as per usual) :) BTW, did you use a lame to slice the top of the bread? I suppose a sharp knife could work just as well, but I've wondered if a lame would be a worthwhile investment. Then again, I'd need to do a lot more bread making than I currently do to justify buying yet another tool ;-)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Very sharp serrated knife at an angle. You've probably heard the phrase "sliced from ear to ear" in a movie, well, here you usually want to do a motion the equivalent of ear to chin. ;)

MrBig

2-11-11.jpg

Maple bacon and onions sauteed with basil.
Used more sauce and it browned perfectly :)
That mess over by the cheesy bread is a pretzel I made with excess dough. I have no idea how to twist one even though I have eaten them countless times. Came out looking like a clover :lol

Next week I'll look up how to make Alfredo sauce and make a white pizza

way more

Anyone remember that No Reservations where Anthony Bourdain visits a restaurant that basically gives you a hot, chili fondue? You deep various meats in the broth and they cook and add flavor while the broth boils away and gets more concentrated and hotter?

It was some Asian city and I've already skimmed Thailand and Korea.

Talon

mac said:
Anyone remember that No Reservations where Anthony Bourdain visits a restaurant that basically gives you a hot, chili fondue? You deep various meats in the broth and they cook and add flavor while the broth boils away and gets more concentrated and hotter?

Sounds like hotpot.

Japan (sukiyaki) and China are big on it.

mac said:

YOU HAVE TO HAVE HOT POT. It's SO good!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
ShinAmano said:
Anyone care to post their Valentine's Day Meal Plans?

So far i am planning on keeping it simple:
Either Stuffed Pork Chops or a Fillet Mignon (Leaning towards the steak)
Season Green Beans
Twice Baked Potatoes
A nice Red/White Wine to compliment the meat
A bunch of champagne after dinner with some chocolate covered strawberries.

Also not actually celebrating on the 14th...will actually celebrate on the 18th.

I know I'm making fillet Mignon and that we're drinking either a Napa Cab 2005, or a burgundy or a Ribera del Duero 2006. There will be asparagus but I can't decide on the carbohydrate. Thinking mashed potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom