• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you just start with stuff for your (nice-sounding) meal of steak, roasted potatoes, and salad?

Buy a cast iron skillet for the steak, a roasting pan for the potatoes, and a chef's knife for chopping things up. You'll also need at least salt and pepper, and some kind of cooking oil; EVOO is not that, but there are plenty of adequate ones labeled as such in your supermarket.

You will figure out what else you need or want as you go along.

Zyzyxxz

Tabris said:
What oil do I use then on my iron skillet?

almost anything to be honest. Just don't use olive especially for searing a steak. Extra virgin has a low smoke point so it burns easily. For searing you want the oil to reach 450-500F, pure olive oil may be better suited but in general you can't go wrong with a nut oil or just regular canola oil.

rykomatsu

Tabris said:
How does this list look? (a little over budget, I was going based off sears website but I can probabaly find cheaper places)

- Stainless Steel Skillet $150
- Cast Iron Skillet $50
- Kitchen Knife Set / Sharping Block $150
- Cutting Board $10
- Salt & Pepper Containers / Grinder $30
- Large Salad Bowl $10
- Tongs $5
- Cooking Mitts $20
- Butter Holder $10

- Sea Salt $10
- Black Pepper $10
- Virgin Olive Oil $10 <--- Can I use this for cooking oil or do I need a different kind of oil?
- Garlic Heads $10
- Butter $5

With this I should be able to make some good steaks, salads and roasted potatoes.

-A Lodge Logic cast iron skillet is about $25 @ amazon
-You can also get a pretty nice stainless steel skillet for under $50 easily.
-If you want to keep the same budget and intend on sticking with cooking for a while, the extra $100 saved on a skillet, i'd put towards a nice knife set...the essentials are chef or santoku depending on how you chop and a paring knife....possibly a serrated knife, but chef's and paring are the ones you'll most likely want to get first.
-Get relatively inexpensive cooking mitts...no need to spend $20 imho.

The stuff on your foodlist, sans the butter and olive oil, are overpriced too :p

edit: personally, I would do this though...works wonderfully. The key is to use a lot of water so that the temp drop when adding the meat isn't too high. After you pull the meat out, pat it dry, then sear it on a skillet...then done...near perfectly cooked steak w/o much guesswork once you have the ice chest temp where you want it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/...er-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html
:)

Tabris said:
How does this list look? (a little over budget, I was going based off sears website but I can probabaly find cheaper places)

- Stainless Steel Skillet $150
- Cast Iron Skillet $50
- Kitchen Knife Set / Sharping Block $150
- Cutting Board $10
- Salt & Pepper Containers / Grinder $30
- Large Salad Bowl $10
- Tongs $5
- Cooking Mitts $20
- Butter Holder $10

- Sea Salt $10
- Black Pepper $10
- Virgin Olive Oil $10 <--- Can I use this for cooking oil or do I need a different kind of oil?
- Garlic Heads $10
- Butter $5

With this I should be able to make some good steaks, salads and roasted potatoes.

I'd just get what you need to make the steak, salad and roasted potatoes. I've revised your list for you:

- SS skillet ($50 at most)
- Cast Iron (Someone else mentioned, Lodge for $25)
- Chef's Knife, pairing knife, and bread knife (spend the most on the chef's knife. I'd say budget $150 for all three would be a good idea. Bread knife is like $10)
- cutting board ($10 get either a wood one, or a rubber one with the grippy feet so it doesn't slide around. If you get one without feet, put a damp towel under to keep it from slipping on the counter)
- s&p containers, grinder ($30)
- large salad SPINNER ($30 -- dries your salad and doubles as a strainer and a bowl!)
- Tongs $5
- side towels ($10)

- sea salt ($3-4 for blue diamond sea salt!)
- black pepper ($5 for peppercorns at most)
- olive oil ($10 for 1000 mL seems like a good starting point. I don't like spending much more than that for regular cooking olive oil)
- garlic heads ($1)
- balsamic vinegar ($10 -- for salad dressing)
- dijon mustard ($5 -- for emulsifying the dressing)

edit: personally, I don't use butter much, so if you want to cut down on ingredients, good tasting extra virgin olive oil can replace the butter in things like tossing with the baked potatoes.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Zyzyxxz said:
almost anything to be honest. Just don't use olive especially for searing a steak. Extra virgin has a low smoke point so it burns easily. For searing you want the oil to reach 450-500F, pure olive oil may be better suited but in general you can't go wrong with a nut oil or just regular canola oil.

Yeah, smoking point for extra virgin is around 375 degrees F, while normal olive oil is 410 degrees or so, so i mostly only use it for sautéing and such. Also, don't buy the largest bottle that you can find, as oil olive spoils fairly quickly when compared to canola. I like to buy a bottle of extra virgin for salad dressings as such, and then a bottle of refined olive oil for sautéing and the occasional roasting.

Big Chungus

What's a better rice cooker brand?

Salton or Black & Decker.

Has to be one of those two, they're the only ones available at my Wal-Mart (and cheap too!).

Stalfos

Tabris, you can get the 3 knives that people are mentioning for about $70 if you go with Victorinox. They are a good knives that offer a nice bang for you buck.
8 inch or 10 inch Chefs knife
Paring knife
Bread knife

If you are just getting into cooking then I don't think you should be spending $100 on just a chefs knife. The ones I linked above will work great for you and should maintain a sharp edge with proper care. You might be able to get away with just a chefs knife for about $30 and then build from there as you start cooking more.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
For most tasks, all you need is a chef's knife. In fact, it's the only knife I use.

CrankyJay

Banned
Datwheezy said:
Yeah, smoking point for extra virgin is around 375 degrees F, while normal olive oil is 410 degrees or so, so i mostly only use it for sautéing and such. Also, don't buy the largest bottle that you can find, as oil olive spoils fairly quickly when compared to canola. I like to buy a bottle of extra virgin for salad dressings as such, and then a bottle of refined olive oil for sautéing and the occasional roasting.

Honestly, I've never had a problem involving smokepoint with a rubbing EVOO on a steak, searing it in a cast iron skillet on each side, and then finishing it off in the oven.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
CrankyJay said:
Honestly, I've never had a problem involving smokepoint with a rubbing EVOO on a steak, searing it in a cast iron skillet on each side, and then finishing it off in the oven.

To be honest, the only time Ive ever tried it was when making a pizza, and it smoked pretty bad. I just know that the scientific smoking point is 375. I usually buy a really good bottle of EVOO, and a standard priced bottle of refined, so I rarely use the good stuff for anything that needs to be heated because of the higher cost, and only use it for salad dressings and such.

thespot84

On knives, I've had great luck getting the essentials (chefs, santoku, paring, utility, breadknife) at tjmaxx and kohls and thelike. Most of my knives are cuisinart, they have a full tang with 3 rivets and are weighted really nicely, and I picked all of em up for around $15-20 each. Check out those stores in your hunt....

Edit: Just my experience, but other than honing (with a honing stick) I wouldn't recommend sharpening your knives yourself. If you keep them in good condition you won't have to sharpen them much (1-2 times/year) and I'd have a pro do it, the risk of messing them up is too high IMO.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
thespot84 said:
On knives, I've had great luck getting the essentials (chefs, santoku, paring, utility, breadknife) at tjmaxx and kohls and the like. Most of my knives are cuisinart, they have a full tang with 3 rivets and are weighted really nicely, and I picked all of em up for around $15-20 each. Check out those stores in your hunt...

Seconded. The kitchenware sections in those outlet stores are invaluable; pots and pans, dishes, knives, occasional small appliances, all high-end brands and hugely discounted.

beje

Banned
Stupid question: is mushrooms with broccoli a good combination? Any other ingredient I could add?

Yes, they're the only ingredients I have at hand besides "basics"

Bananimus

Stalfos said:
Tabris, you can get the 3 knives that people are mentioning for about $70 if you go with Victorinox. They are a good knives that offer a nice bang for you buck.
8 inch or 10 inch Chefs knife
Paring knife
Bread knife

If you are just getting into cooking then I don't think you should be spending $100 on just a chefs knife. The ones I linked above will work great for you and should maintain a sharp edge with proper care. You might be able to get away with just a chefs knife for about $30 and then build from there as you start cooking more.
I personally use Victorinox knives (8 inch chef's, paring), which are fantastic for the price.

I will also agree that $150 is a bit much for a stainless steel skillet. You can get the 12-inch or 8-inch All-Clads for under $100 if you look online (the original, full stainless exterior versions).

beje said:
Stupid question: is mushrooms with broccoli a good combination? Any other ingredient I could add?

Yes, they're the only ingredients I have at hand besides "basics"

The trick with mushrooms is to let them brown in the pan before adding the other stuff in. I do them without any oil at all which keeps them from getting all weird and soggy. After the mushrooms are browned, remove them from the pan, put in oil, then the chopped up broccoli, then chopped garlic. Throw in the mushrooms close to the end to combine.

Do you have milk and cheese? If so, you can make a broccoli mushroom gratin in the oven!

beje

Banned
nakedsushi said:
The trick with mushrooms is to let them brown in the pan before adding the other stuff in. I do them without any oil at all which keeps them from getting all weird and soggy. After the mushrooms are browned, remove them from the pan, put in oil, then the chopped up broccoli, then chopped garlic. Throw in the mushrooms close to the end to combine.

Do you have milk and cheese? If so, you can make a broccoli mushroom gratin in the oven!

A little too overkill with the milk hahaha (I only have soy milk anyway). I adapted another recipe I found online:
- Boil the broccoli for 10 minutes in water with a cube of vegetable stock
- Cook the mushrooms with half onion chopped up and a clover of garlic
- When they are brown, rinse broccoli and add to the pan
- Add soy sauce and cook until done
Looks great! :D

http://twitpic.com/3vaapz

It's a shame it's for tomorrow lunch T_____T

Silkworm

Tabris said:
What oil do I use then on my iron skillet?

Zyzyxxz said:
Just curious, but I read the following about using flaxseed oil for seasoning a cast iron pan in a recent Cook's Illustrated issue (see below). Kind of curious about trying it but need to find time to actually try it :)

Published January 1, 2011. From Cook's Illustrated.

We'd seasoned our cast iron the same way for years. But when we heard about a new method that creates a slick surface so indestructible that touch-ups are almost never necessary, we were intrigued.

For years we’ve seasoned cast-iron cookware in the test kitchen by placing it over medium heat and wiping out the pan with coats of vegetable oil until its surface turns dark and shiny. When a pan starts to look patchy, we simply repeat the process. But when we heard about a new method that creates a slick surface so indestructible that touch-ups are almost never necessary, we were intrigued. Developed by blogger Sheryl Canter, the approach calls for treating the pan with multiple coats of flaxseed oil between hour-long stints in the oven.

We carried out Canter’s approach on new, unseasoned cast-iron skillets and compared them with pans treated with vegetable oil—and the results amazed us. The flaxseed oil so effectively bonded to the skillets, forming a sheer, stick-resistant veneer, that even a run through our commercial dishwasher with a squirt of degreaser left them totally unscathed. But the vegetable oil-treated skillets showed rusty spots and patchiness when they emerged from the dishwasher, requiring reseasoning before use.
Why did the new treatment work so well? Flaxseed oil is the food-grade equivalent of linseed oil, used by artists to give their paintings a hard, polished finish, and it boasts six times the amount of omega-3 fatty acids as vegetable oil. Over prolonged exposure to high heat, these fatty acids combine to form a strong, solid matrix that polymerizes to the pan’s surface.

Although lengthy, seasoning with flaxseed oil is a mainly hands-off undertaking. We highly recommend the treatment:

1. Warm an unseasoned pan (either new or stripped of seasoning*) for 15 minutes in a 200-degree oven to open its pores.
2. Remove the pan from the oven. Place 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil in the pan and, using tongs, rub the oil into the surface with paper towels. With fresh paper towels, thoroughly wipe out the pan to remove excess oil.
3. Place the oiled pan upside down in a cold oven, then set the oven to its maximum baking temperature. Once the oven reaches its maximum temperature, heat the pan for one hour. Turn off the oven; cool the pan in the oven for at least two hours.
4. Repeat the process five more times, or until the pan develops a dark, semi-matte surface.

*To strip a cast-iron pan of seasoning, spray it with oven cleaner, wait 30 minutes, wash with soapy water, and thoroughly wipe with paper towels

Tr4nce

Onkel, I don't know if you will ever read this, but I have a question.

Last October, me and my sister (we're Dutch) went to visit my bioligocal family in Germany for the first time. We had a great time. My family lives near Crailsheim, and somewhere in a little restaurant, we ate 'Zwiebeln Rostbrat', and it was so, so, so good. In Holland we don't know that dish, so maybe do you know how it's made? It was some kind of meat (I don't know what kind) with funnily baked onions, almost stringy, and I believe a very nice dark mushroom sauce. I have to eat it again before I die!! :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tr4nce said:
Onkel, I don't know if you will ever read this, but I have a question.

Last October, me and my sister (we're Dutch) went to visit my bioligocal family in Germany for the first time. We had a great time. My family lives near Crailsheim, and somewhere in a little restaurant, we ate 'Zwiebeln Rostbrat', and it was so, so, so good. In Holland we don't know that dish, so maybe do you know how it's made? It was some kind of meat (I don't know what kind) with funnily baked onions, almost stringy, and I believe a very nice dark mushroom sauce. I have to eat it again before I die!! :)

The dish you had was probably "Zwiebelrostbraten" (Rumpsteak with roast onions) and is a staple of german and austrian cuisine. it's easy to prepare and therefore found on a lot of menus in restaurants across the republic.

Start with a nice steak cut from roast beef or filet, turn them in a bit of flour and, for the special taste, rub them down with a bit of mustard and a hint of garlic. Cut an onion in rings.

Roast the steaks in a hot skillet with a neutral oil or butterfat for a few minutes and set aside at a warm place. sprinkle the onions with a bit of hot paprika powder and roast the onions in the same pan until golden brown. add a bit of beef broth and/or red wine to the onions and top the steak with the onion mix. serve with panfried potatoes or Spaetzle (pasta made from flour with a high egg content).

Edit:
A famous variant is the "Düsseldorfer Senfrostbraten" which is a bitch to prepare and therefore feared among the cook students ;)

vid of the preparation here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGn_b-ocivo

Tr4nce

Hey! thanks very much! Gonna have to try this soon.

By the way, I'm making some 'Babi Ketjap' right now with rice. I am making pictures during every step, so I can post a recipe up here tomorrow or something, for my first entry in the Irongaf Cookoff! :D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_2628.jpg

Made soup and some whole wheat bolillo-style rolls for tonight.

The soup is kind of a spicy minestrone, with big Israeli couscous, black beans, spinach, onion, garlic, and zucchini.

Axion22 said:
Roasted chicken thighs, carrots, potatoes.

Super easy & cheap ingredients. pic click goes to recipe.

Hi everyone.

Just have to say I really enjoy reading all your recipes and have tried a few out. I enjoy cooking but don't do it often enough, and don't have a camera. But maybe one day I'll contribute.

:)

Anyway, earlier this week I was craving chicken and remembered this recipe so I picked some up, and just want to echo how marvellous it turned out for a lazy weekday meal. I however decided to use whole wings instead of thighs (As I like them more). Beyond that I was pretty faithful to the recipe, though I used more spice than it called for, and threw some onion into the veggie mix.

While I didn't think about the meal beyond that, I brought leftovers to work the next day and got multiple comments about how good it looked/smelled, despite it being one of the most hassle-free meals one can cook! Hell, I even bought pre-cut carrots.

so yeah, people who can't cook looking to host a meal, or people who want other people to think some level of effort was put into a meal when there wasn't, this is a great recipe to go with.

Thanks for sharing!

way more

Tabris said:
What's the difference between an iron cast and stainless steel skillet? What's easier to maintain?

A cast iron also weighs 5 times as much so you can't use flip foods around. It would be cumbersome to make stir-fry or sauteed penne and marinara. And cast iron really is more effort to clean. A steel skillet you can just let sit and cool then toss soapy water. A cast iron means you want to wipe while it's still warm and use plenty of paper towels and maybe scrub with salt and more paper towels.

But if you plan on cooking a lot of steaks a cast iron is the best.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Iron-Gaf, what are you making for the Super Bowl?

I was thinking of empanadas, anyone have any cheap and easy recipes for them? What filling would be good? Do you use puff pastry for dough or something else?

thespot84

Deadly Cyclone said:

I was thinking of empanadas, anyone have any cheap and easy recipes for them? What filling would be good? Do you use puff pastry for dough or something else?

I'm probably hosting too and right now I have no idea, suggestions welcome!

(Most of what I make will certainly involve bacon, however)

Zyzyxxz

mac said:
A cast iron also weighs 5 times as much so you can't use flip foods around. It would be cumbersome to make stir-fry or sauteed penne and marinara. And cast iron really is more effort to clean. A steel skillet you can just let sit and cool then toss soapy water. A cast iron means you want to wipe while it's still warm and use plenty of paper towels and maybe scrub with salt and more paper towels.

But if you plan on cooking a lot of steaks a cast iron is the best.

I flip with my cast iron, its good to beef up them arms

q8hKA.jpg

Take that, leftover Paneer! Pretty much just hit it with a bunch of Zatar seasoning, grated romano, garlic powder, mixed peppercorn, and a bit of steak sauce worked along the pizza sauce---turned out pretty tasty when topped with the usual turkey bacon.

Tr4nce

So, my first entry in this thread!

This is a recipe for Babi Ketjap, I don't know what it's called in English. It's an Indonesian dish, with rice and sweet pork meat. Ok, here we go.

For the ingredients, I will try and translate them as much as I can from Dutch to English. If I can't translate some ingredient, I will just give the Dutch name for it.

These are the ingredients being: (It seems too much of everything, but you can eat 2 days when you finish)

- 2 pound of diced pork,

- 1 pound white rice

- 1 egg,

- 2 cloves of garlic

- 1 pound of green beans

- green peas and corn

- 2 x Conimex Babi Ketjap Boemboe (I don't know how to translate 'Boemboe'. However, it's just a paste of different herbs and spices. In this case a sweet one, like soya sauce)

- 1 x Conimex Sambal Goreng Boemboe for the green beans

- Shrimp Crackers

- Fish sauce and Oyster Sauce as many as you like

Foto0141.jpg

Now, make sure to prepare the rice first, as we want to fry it later on. But make sure that you let the rice cool down enough. Preferably, cook the rice a day in advance. That way, the rice will fry way better! I always improvise a little when cooking, so my dishes are never the same. This time I decided to cook the rice in a chicken broth, and put one clove of garlic on top of the rice, for taste! Also add a pich of salt. Yummy.

After that, cook the green beans in hot boiling water for about 10-15 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want them to be.

Foto0144.jpg

After the rice is ready, start cooking the meat on high temperature. Add 2 cloves of choppped garlic. When the meat is done, lower the fire down by half. Add the 2 Babi Ketjap Boemboe's and 400 milli liters of water. Let the meat simmer for about 30-45 minutes on a low fire. Add salt and pepper to taste ofcourse.

Foto0145.jpg

Now take your Wok pan, and put in about 2 tablespoons of wok oil. Make sure the temperature is very high, before you throw in the green beans. Fry them for about 4-5 minutes, and add 1 egg to this. Make sure, you keep stirring the whole thing, because you don't want to burn your food, and make sure that your egg is chopped into pieces. After this, add the Sambal Goreng paste for the green beans. Keep stirring for about 5 mins, then go to the next step.

Foto0146.jpg

Ok, the last step. Get the rice you cooked earlier on, and add it to the wok pan. Make sure to fry it, not to burn it. Then add the green peas and corn. Fry it for about 10 mins. Make sure you don't overdo it, this will affect the flavour. Add some, fish sauce and soya sauce to taste. My rice is yellow, because I decided to add some curry powder after I cooked it.

Foto0149.jpg

Now, take a plate add some delicous shrimp crackers and have a very nice meal!! :)

Foto0150.jpg

jet1911

I decided to try and make raviolis. Turned out pretty good I think. :)

I made the stuffing with white mushrooms, portobellas, oyster mushrooms, green onions and leak.

fCgdv.jpg

3y4sL.jpg

L1wQH.jpg

lE2R4.jpg

INzvy.jpg

nglwb.jpg

VpQuv.jpg

Happy Chinese New Year!

The BF made dinner tonight:
5415341924_a602656deb.jpg

It's a stew made from cabbage, mushrooms, hair-seaweed (those stringy black things), tofu skin, goji berries, and ginko nuts. He got the recipe from here:
http://thelittleteochew.blogspot.com/2011/02/happy-new-year.html

Last week, I had a dream about making this weird dish and it made a lot of sense in my dream, so I decided to make it IRL. Worked pretty well and it was quite tasty!
5415341964_55a27f171c.jpg

Wheat gluten puffs stuffed with sticky rice, mushrooms, carrots, and baked tofu.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Any of you from Xinjiang province, or know someone who is from there?

I'm marinating some lamb pieces right now but I'm not confident in the recipe.

WHATS THE SECRET TO THEIR LAMB SKEWERS!?

GONz

Halycon said:
Any of you from Xinjiang province, or know someone who is from there?

I'm marinating some lamb pieces right now but I'm not confident in the recipe.

WHATS THE SECRET TO THEIR LAMB SKEWERS!?
I'm neither from Xinjiang nor know people from there, but based on the skewers I have in Beijing in the Xinjiang's hole-in-the-wall, I'd say skip the Sichuan peppercorn and be sure that you are generous with the cumin.

Haly

Yes I was low on cumin already. I need to like, dump an entire bottle of it in there.

Talon

I figure a good lot of the folks here are food nerds, so I'm sure the NYTimes' Freakonomics podcast latest series is of interest to y'all.

It's titled "Waiter, There's a Physicist in My Soup!" in 2 parts. The first covers Nathan Myhrvold's obsession with molecular gastronomy and Alice Waters' championing of organic foods. Waters comes off as pretentious as always. Myhrvold sounds like Wylie Dufresne on steroids. The seconds focuses more on historical food science.

iTunes
RSS

Maiar_m

I used my homemade peanut butter for these, I'm really pleased with the result. Sorry for slightly blurry pics, I still have trouble adjusting to the 50mm. As always, click for recipe.

jet1911

Nottyboxers said:
Recipe please!

For the stuffing.

2 packs of white mushrooms
1 pack of oyster mushroom
1 pack of portobella
1 leek (juste the white part)
8 green onions (just the white part)
1/3 cup cream cheese

Throw all the mushroom in a food processor and mix until it looks like in the 4th pic.
Sweat the leek and green onions.
The next part is important, you need to cook, and dry, the mushrooms. If you don't do that you wont have a stuffing that hold togheter well.

For the dough

250g flour
2 eggs

It's not hard to do but it's a kinda long. :p

MrBig

Maiar_m said:
Aw, I'm sorry it didn't work out :s Although I have the same problem when I get recipes in cups...
It would have been fine, since I'm always working in metric, but all my cooking stuff is in the english system. They're not even edible anymore, they've turned to stone :lol

Haly

Turned out quite nice:
icejna.jpg
The marinade added more flavor than strictly necessary. The taste of lamb is very faint, next time I'll leave out the acid (made them softer than I prefer, actually, I like it a little chewy).

I was afraid I underspiced it so I had a rub prepared and everything but they came out very flavorful. Missing that oily fatty sheen though, that's what I get for using a broiler instead of a proper grill.

Silkworm

Deadly Cyclone said:

Maybe I'm not the best person to comment on empanadas, as I've only made it once, but I did enjoy it. It was filled with beef and panade (milk-and-bread mixture), along with chopped eggs, raisins, and green olives, so those could be some suggestions for fillings. I made the dough according to the recipe (which was a variation of a pie dough recipe that used butter and no shortening, along with the incorporation of some masa harina) so not sure what one could use to substitute in a pinch, but perhaps your suggestion of puff pastry could work? Unfortunately this recipe, which came from Cook's Illustrated, is not what I'd call necessarily call easy (at least for me), but if you are interested I can provide it to you (the recipe is for 6 beef empanadas). Hopefully someone else might have some better suggestions :)

Maiar_m

MrBig said:
It would have been fine, since I'm always working in metric, but all my cooking stuff is in the english system. They're not even edible anymore, they've turned to stone :lol
Haha, I'm really sorry though, I hope I'll be able to make it up to you with another recipe. I should have been more descriptive of the type of peanut butter used, too. Depending on its texture it might make the biscuits way too "dry" hence solid. Anyway I hope you did enjoy them at least a little when they were edible ^^

MrBig

Maiar_m said:
Haha, I'm really sorry though, I hope I'll be able to make it up to you with another recipe. I should have been more descriptive of the type of peanut butter used, too. Depending on its texture it might make the biscuits way too "dry" hence solid. Anyway I hope you did enjoy them at least a little when they were edible ^^
I just use store bought natural peanut butter with the oil still in the jar. I haven't ventured into making my own peanut butter yet, but I'll try this again once I do

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Gaf I need help, I am trying to cook up Chroizo for empanadas tomorrow, everything I find says it should cook similar to ground beef. The Chroizo I got was in a tube and when I put it over medium heat turned very soupy and is not like ground beef at all.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just shitty chorizo?

Halycon said:
Turned out quite nice:
The marinade added more flavor than strictly necessary. The taste of lamb is very faint, next time I'll leave out the acid (made them softer than I prefer, actually, I like it a little chewy).

I was afraid I underspiced it so I had a rub prepared and everything but they came out very flavorful. Missing that oily fatty sheen though, that's what I get for using a broiler instead of a proper grill.

Looks nice.

Recipe?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Deadly Cyclone said:
Gaf I need help, I am trying to cook up Chroizo for empanadas tomorrow, everything I find says it should cook similar to ground beef. The Chroizo I got was in a tube and when I put it over medium heat turned very soupy and is not like ground beef at all.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just shitty chorizo?

wat!? Chorizo is nothing like ground beef and shouldn't cook similar either. you cut it like you would cut a carrot and saute it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom