• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

I decided I'm going to start cooking. For quite a while I've just eaten out or had quick food that needs to be reheated (frozen foods or canned goods) or if I cooked anything it was on the george foreman but it's so blah on that.

Assume I have nothing at all in terms of cooking materials and ingrediants:

What are essentials I need in my kitchen and what should I get with a budget of $300? I assume things like a good skillet? What spices should I start with?

First thing I want to cook is a really good steak (george foreman steaks taste like garbage)

Tabris said:
I decided I'm going to start cooking. For quite a while I've just eaten out or had quick food that needs to be reheated (frozen foods or canned goods) or if I cooked anything it was on the george foreman but it's so blah on that.

What are essentials I need in my kitchen and what should I get with a budget of $300? I assume things like a good skillet? What spices should I start with?

First thing I want to cook is a really good steak (george foreman steaks taste like garbage)

Get a Lodge Cast Iron Pre-seasoned skillet/pan. Very cheap on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Cast+Iron&x=0&y=0

I had got one myself when I started cooking steak using the following method:

1. Pre-heat oven to 500F, and put the cast-iron pan in the oven during this process
2. Take Steak out and coat it with oil (I used Peanut after I think it was Zyzyxxz who recommended it for higher boiling point).
3. Season Generously with Salt, Pepper and any other seasoning you want to use
4. Once oven is heated, turn gas on high and take out the heated cast-iron pan and put it on that
5. Take Steak with tongs, Sear on one side for 30-40 seconds, then other side for same amount of time
6. After that put it back in the Oven for 2-3 minutes each side depending on how you like it done

2 for Medium Rare
3 for Medium

This is known as the Alton Brown Method, you can google it.

After getting timing down my Steaks came out awesome.

Though don't make the mistake I made, I didn't take good care of the cast-iron pan and ruined it.

Axion22

Tabris said:

Just gonna throw some stuff out there.

Pantry stuff:
Flour
Dry pasta

Cold stuff:
Milk
Eggs
Cheese

Tools:
Iron skillet (10 or 12-inch)
Dutch oven (big, thick pot with lid)
Spatulas, tongs, spoons, etc.

Spices:
Kosher salt
Pepper grinder
(from there you can build up, but spices are expensive to buy all at once)

Once you get your iron skillet, do this:
Pan-seared ribeye

edit: lol, i see I'm beaten.

What I made above was very easy, the only equipment required was a cutting board, measuring spoons, vegetable peeler, knife, bowl (for mixing stuff), and a baking sheet.

165559_10150381158630077_606125076_17035620_4636064_n.jpg

My twist on Lebanese Tabulleh salad, delicious stuff. I use barley pearls instead of cracked wheat (due to it being more nutritious and crunchier). Add apple vinegar to give an extra nice sweet sour taste.

Ingredients:

- Barley Pearls
- Lime
- Fresh Parsley
- Onion
- Olive Oil
- Pink Salt
- Cucumbers
- Tomatoes
- Dry Mint

Will try with Quinoa too sometime.

sharbhund

rykomatsu said:
Not to double post, but if you know about Thomas Keller (French Laundry), his cookbook set for French Laundry and Ad Hoc at Home is on sale at B&N for $22.50. Theres a 50% off in store coupon floating around until Monday so if it's available in a store near you, 2 awesome cookbooks for $11...$60+ at amazon right now...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Th...mas-Keller/e/9780594222798/?itm=1&USRI=ad+hoc

Hope this helps some :)

Thanks! I just ordered that set and this Mark Bittman set:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/How-to-Cook-Everything-Gift-Set/Mark-Bittman/e/9780594222750/

Not bad for $40. I already owned 2 of the 4 books in these sets, but I figure my 2nd copies of them can make gifts to friends.

ZwmAt.jpg

Tonight is Expensive Cheese Acquired Only Because BJ's Went Out of Business Night:

Black Diamond 5 Year Aged Cheddar----one of the best I've had period at least on the Cheddar front, quite possibly on all fronts. Melts quick, smells fantastic, not incredibly oil, addictive taste, etc. That I got a nice sized block of it for about $3 versus it normally being one of those in the ~$20+ club...hooray~

Crumble was the Tostitos Artisan Fire-Roasted Chipotle(Also worked out rather well!) and the meat was the last of my so-called Spicy Sopressata stick. I'm currently out of any fresh/unusual spices, seasonings, and sauces(Ok, ok I forgot at the last minute to try my Hemp Oil on this post-oven when I got distracted thinking about putting it on a sandwich tomorrow)---though that should change at least in some small part next week probably.

Bananimus

Axion22 said:
Just gonna throw some stuff out there.

Pantry stuff:
Flour
Dry pasta

Cold stuff:
Milk
Eggs
Cheese

Tools:
Iron skillet (10 or 12-inch)
Dutch oven (big, thick pot with lid)
Spatulas, tongs, spoons, etc.

Spices:
Kosher salt
Pepper grinder
(from there you can build up, but spices are expensive to buy all at once)

Once you get your iron skillet, do this:
Pan-seared ribeye

edit: lol, i see I'm beaten.

What I made above was very easy, the only equipment required was a cutting board, measuring spoons, vegetable peeler, knife, bowl (for mixing stuff), and a baking sheet.
This is a pretty good list, although I would also suggest investing in a good 12-inch stainless steel skillet.

Personal list:
10-12 inch Lodge cast iron skillet ($20)
12 inch All-Clad stainless steel skillet ($80-90 if you look around)
~6 qt enameled dutch oven (Lodge makes a decent one in the $50-60 range)
Large wooden spoon ($5-10)
Good 8-inch chef's knife. The Victorinox Fibrox 8-inch is about $30 and pretty damn good for the price.
Paring knife. Again, Victorinox makes a decent one which can be had for less than $10.
Get covers for your knives. They're cheap.
Basic stuff like measuring devices, cutting boards, etc. Avoid glass cutting surfaces.

A decent food processor can be important for certain dishes. It's not required immediately by any means, but after cooking for a while you may find yourself in need of one.

Even low quality spices are crazy expensive in super markets. I buy a lot of stuff online or in specialty markets. The Spice House is pretty good if you live in the US.

Zyzyxxz

rykomatsu said:
Not to double post, but if you know about Thomas Keller (French Laundry), his cookbook set for French Laundry and Ad Hoc at Home is on sale at B&N for $22.50. Theres a 50% off in store coupon floating around until Monday so if it's available in a store near you, 2 awesome cookbooks for $11...$60+ at amazon right now...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Th...mas-Keller/e/9780594222798/?itm=1&USRI=ad+hoc

Hope this helps some :)

Wow I already own Ad-Hoc but I figure I can resell or gift it for cheap. I own every Thomas Keller book except for French Laundry, must complete my collection!

rykomatsu

Zyzyxxz said:
Wow I already own Ad-Hoc but I figure I can resell or gift it for cheap. I own every Thomas Keller book except for French Laundry, must complete my collection!

ooh...what do you think of Under Pressure? I've been eyeing that book for a month now since I started messing around with sous vide, but it's a pretty pricey book :p

Zyzyxxz

rykomatsu said:
ooh...what do you think of Under Pressure? I've been eyeing that book for a month now since I started messing around with sous vide, but it's a pretty pricey book :p

Its only $47 on Amazon.

Honestly its a difficult book, very much so. If you have the French Laundry and haven't used it much I would move onto it.

I don't know what your job is but if you aren't looking to increase your culinary knowledge for career purposes like me then its hard to recommend it. The book is aimed at professionals in the field and most of the stuff he does in the book can be Alinea complicated.

If you are experimenting with sous vide then I'd recommend you stick to your experimentations because I don't know what useful knowledge you would gain from the book that you can't get from here: http://www.saberdosabor.com.br/sous-vide.pdf

Picture wise its a beautiful book and is really inspirational but just dont take it as a home cookbook.

rykomatsu

Zyzyxxz said:
I don't know what your job is but if you aren't looking to increase your culinary knowledge for career purposes like me then its hard to recommend it. The book is aimed at professionals in the field and most of the stuff he does in the book can be Alinea complicated.

Thanks for the response :)

I'm a chemist. Basically a hobbyist that has access to a lot of the equipment and chemicals that molecular gastronomists use...pH meter, centrifuges, gelling agents, chamber vacuum sealer (though I can't bring this home, unfortunately...).

If it's possible to break down the recipes into something along the lines of:
Day 1 evening - prepare everything prior to vacuum sealing
Day 2 afternoon - bring goods into work, then seal in chamber vacuum
Day 2 evening - sous vide

Then I think I could probably make use of the Under Pressure book.

But yeah...just a hobbyist...

edit: i don't dare use the water bath at work since I've spilled some nasty stuff in there before :)

CrankyJay

Banned
ElectricThunder said:
ZwmAt.jpg

Tonight is Expensive Cheese Acquired Only Because BJ's Went Out of Business Night:

Black Diamond 5 Year Aged Cheddar----one of the best I've had period at least on the Cheddar front, quite possibly on all fronts. Melts quick, smells fantastic, not incredibly oil, addictive taste, etc. That I got a nice sized block of it for about $3 versus it normally being one of those in the ~$20+ club...hooray~

Crumble was the Tostitos Artisan Fire-Roasted Chipotle(Also worked out rather well!) and the meat was the last of my so-called Spicy Sopressata stick. I'm currently out of any fresh/unusual spices, seasonings, and sauces(Ok, ok I forgot at the last minute to try my Hemp Oil on this post-oven when I got distracted thinking about putting it on a sandwich tomorrow)---though that should change at least in some small part next week probably.

What are these things? I see at least one on every page.

Big B

How watery is (crab) quiche supposed to be? Is it because I added green peppers to it? Should I add more flour next time?

CrankyJay

Banned
rykomatsu said:
Thanks for the response :)

I'm a chemist. Basically a hobbyist that has access to a lot of the equipment and chemicals that molecular gastronomists use...pH meter, centrifuges, gelling agents, chamber vacuum sealer (though I can't bring this home, unfortunately...).

If it's possible to break down the recipes into something along the lines of:
Day 1 evening - prepare everything prior to vacuum sealing
Day 2 afternoon - bring goods into work, then seal in chamber vacuum
Day 2 evening - sous vide

Then I think I could probably make use of the Under Pressure book.

But yeah...just a hobbyist...

edit: i don't dare use the water bath at work since I've spilled some nasty stuff in there before :)

Would you consider sous vide on a burger? I caught an article on this guy last week: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/dining/22cookbook.html

This sounds so awesome:
The cheeseburger, for instance, requires the meat to be cooked sous vide for several hours. Freezing with liquid nitrogen ensures that the crust will stay crispy while the center stays perfectly medium rare once it is deep fried. The heirloom tomato is vacuum compressed. The cheese must be melted first, then restructured. The bun is made from scratch and toasted in beef suet. The crimini mushroom ketchup includes honey, horseradish, fish sauce, ginger and allspice.

Have yet to see the actual recipe though.

edit: Also a hobbyist. My wife just rolls her eyes.

jet1911

I never had pancakes in my entire life and after seing the "Pancakes, waffles, french toast" thread I decided to make some.

DTyGX.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all. Next time I'll make chocolate chips pancakes. Or blueberry.

MrBig said:
Some type of personal pizza he makes every week or so

Yep, with a base of Naan lately as I venture the world's cheeses, seasonings, things to crumble, sauces, and slowly try various cured meats beyond Pepperoni.

All these years I reckoned a pizza had to be mozzarella, pepperoni, and not a whole lot else really in play---nice to see the fantastic possibilities reckoning things at home that I can't find in the world of restaurants!

I really do need to remember to get pics of the non-overtly crumble topped ones more often though, as they tend to make the pic harder to reckon even if still a delicious memento.

MrBig

ElectricThunder said:
Yep, with a base of Naan lately as I venture the world's cheeses, seasonings, things to crumble, sauces, and slowly try various cured meats beyond Pepperoni.

All these years I reckoned a pizza had to be mozzarella, pepperoni, and not a whole lot else really in play---nice to see the fantastic possibilities reckoning things at home that I can't find in the world of restaurants!

I really do need to remember to get pics of the non-overtly crumble topped ones more often though, as they tend to make the pic harder to reckon even if still a delicious memento.
I'm making my pizza again tonight, and it's just going to be sweet tomato sauce and mozzarella. I like my normal pizza sweet.
Once I get the crust down right I'll start venturing into the more exotic stuff and get some different toppings and cheeses in

UrokeJoe

rykomatsu said:
The texture of no knead bread is amazing...crispy crust which crackles as it cools, and tender and moist center. The flavor could use some work for the basic recipe...it ends up being rather bland. Found it being good for fondue since you have the cheese being the main taste.

Pretty much spot on. Anyways here is my first attempt.

L6Vfk.jpg

8FBPI.jpg

I'm thinking a nice dipping oil and a bottle of wine would be great right now.

Nice looking bread! The crust looks pretty rustic and the crumb structure looks good.

Baked eggs over kale and a side of roasted fennel for brunch.

Inspired by Oven Roasted Chicken recipe above, but I didn't have potatoes so ended up using Onions, Green and Red Peppers with Carrots.

Very tasty, though some of the peppers were a bit charred (and awesome!!)

0CdhY.jpg

Just finished it.

Damn, that was one of the best Chicken meals I have had in a while, home cooked or outside. Amazing. I was going to eat just one thigh with more Salad, instead started and finished everything.

Next time, need to use a lot more vegetables though.

MrBig

uhh... am I supposed to be putting the cornmeal on the baking stone after it has already been heated? I just opened up my oven to a terrible smell and brown all over my stone.

bah floods have messed up our veggie supplies.. made a vietnamese-style mixed salad w rare beef last night, the beef and stuff came out fine but i couldn't get red chillies at the 3 different places i tried, and the lettuce i bought home turned out to be so bitter we just ate the rest of the stuff off the top. so no photos since it was dissapoint :(

edit: on that note, i had to go to the supermarket since it was a sunday and everything else had shut, and noticed that it's almost impossible to buy a simple iceburg lettuce there unless you want it pre-sliced and pre-packaged. wtf

Bananimus

MrBig said:
uhh... am I supposed to be putting the cornmeal on the baking stone after it has already been heated? I just opened up my oven to a terrible smell and brown all over my stone.
No.

You put cornmeal on the peel to keep the dough from sticking, but that's about it. There really shouldn't be anything on your stone before transferring the pizza to it. You will probably end up with loose cornmeal on the stone after transferring, but you can just wipe that off after the stone cools.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Carnita and gyro meat wrapped in a pita covered in melted mozz wrapped in a tortilla.

WORLDS COLLIDE.

No pics cause I'm too busy eating it.

MrBig said:
I'm making my pizza again tonight, and it's just going to be sweet tomato sauce and mozzarella. I like my normal pizza sweet.
Once I get the crust down right I'll start venturing into the more exotic stuff and get some different toppings and cheeses in

Awesome, get us pics as ya can!

rykomatsu

Well shit...had most, if not all the parts, ready to make an immersion heater, then I came across an aubern sous vide temp controller (essentially the same as the sous vide magic, sans labelling), a 30cup rice cooker, and a vacuum sealer for $100...

Ended up buying it instead lol

CrankyJay said:
Would you consider sous vide on a burger? I caught an article on this guy last week: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/dining/22cookbook.html

I don't see why not, though I don't eat burgers regularly, and my access to liquid nitrogen is unfortunately limited to time during work...closest thing I could do is dunk it in liquid N2, then try to preserve it under dry ice as I make the trip home lol

On another note, when (if?) B&N has another 50% off deal...most likely around black friday/holiday 2011, i think I will use it on that set :)

Nice looking crust there MrBig---looks like it'll be fluffy/chewy. I'd recommend throwing some sauce over this cheese the next time with this heat issue so that you can get the extra-browning time for the dough without these cheese getting as far gone.

Seems strange that your cheese would get that brown with the crust looking barely cooked, MrBig. Did you have a broiler element turned on or something?

Tabris said:
What's the difference between an iron cast and stainless steel skillet? What's easier to maintain?
Cast iron is super heavy and durable and you can use it in the oven which can be nice for searing meat and doing things that require more heat than a stove can give.

Neither are hard to maintain but with cast iron you can just scrub it with some kosher salt between uses to keep it clean, which is sort of nice.

Tabris

And finally what would be better to have as a main stay in the kitchen, sea salt, table salt or kosher salt? Whenever I watch shows like Gordon Ramseys he is always using sea salt, so I assume that's best?

EDIT - Thanks for everyone's help so far. Getting a good idea of a starting kit I'll post once I've confirmed prices.

Bananimus

Aquavelvaman said:
Cast iron is super heavy and durable and you can use it in the oven which can be nice for searing meat and doing things that require more heat than a stove can give.

Neither are hard to maintain but with cast iron you can just scrub it with some kosher salt between uses to keep it clean, which is sort of nice.
As long as a stainless steel skillet doesn't have any plastic/rubber/etc bits on it, it should be oven safe. You also won't have to worry about acidic foods reacting with stainless (tomato, lemon, etc). When cooking with cast iron, extended exposure to acidic foods can result in the development of "off" flavors and a loss of whatever seasoning the pan has developed. That said, a good cast iron skillet costs considerably less than a good stainless steel skillet.

Tabris said:
And finally what would be better to have as a main stay in the kitchen, sea salt, table salt or kosher salt?
I find myself using kosher salt most of the time, although I do have sea salt as well. You probably want some coarse kosher salt for meats.

rykomatsu

Tabris said:
And finally what would be better to have as a main stay in the kitchen, sea salt, table salt or kosher salt? Whenever I watch shows like Gordon Ramseys he is always using sea salt, so I assume that's best?

EDIT - Thanks for everyone's help so far. Getting a good idea of a starting kit I'll post once I've confirmed prices.

I generally use sea salt for all seasoning for cooking. I prefer the taste of sea salt over kosher and table salt, though once it's in the food, admittedly I can't tell the difference.

For texture, and some flavor, purposes, I have a bottle of pink himalayan salt. The taste is similar to sea salt, but it's a little bit more "crunchy" so imparts a more unique texture when you substitute it for other coarser salts.

Tabris

How does this list look? (a little over budget, I was going based off sears website but I can probabaly find cheaper places)

- Stainless Steel Skillet $150
- Cast Iron Skillet $50
- Kitchen Knife Set / Sharping Block $150
- Cutting Board $10
- Salt & Pepper Containers / Grinder $30
- Large Salad Bowl $10
- Tongs $5
- Cooking Mitts $20
- Butter Holder $10

- Sea Salt $10
- Black Pepper $10
- Virgin Olive Oil $10 <--- Can I use this for cooking oil or do I need a different kind of oil?
- Garlic Heads $10
- Butter $5

With this I should be able to make some good steaks, salads and roasted potatoes.

sharbhund

Tabris said:

If you live in a big city, go to a restaurant supply store. Here's a good list of items to start with:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/dining/09mini.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Zyzyxxz

Tabris said:
How does this list look? (a little over budget, I was going based off sears website but I can probabaly find cheaper places)

- Stainless Steel Skillet $150
- Cast Iron Skillet $50
- Kitchen Knife Set / Sharping Block $150
- Cutting Board $10
- Salt & Pepper Containers / Grinder $30
- Large Salad Bowl $10
- Tongs $5
- Cooking Mitts $20
- Butter Holder $10

- Sea Salt $10
- Black Pepper $10
- Virgin Olive Oil $10 <--- Can I use this for cooking oil or do I need a different kind of oil?
- Garlic Heads $10
- Butter $5

With this I should be able to make some good steaks, salads and roasted potatoes.

$150 for a stainless skillet is pretty high, especially if you arent familiar with this pan. I would recommend you stick a smaller size if you are mainly cooking for yourself, the All Clad 8" fry pan with lid can be had at Amazon for $80.

Knife set: Don't get a set just get a chefs or santoku knife, paring knife, and maybe a bread knife. A good knife set will set you back $500-600 and most of the knives will not be used. My recommendation is to go with a Shun or Wusthof for your chef or santoku, get a set of cheap Kuhn paring knives and throw them away as they get dull

For Tongs get the ones made by OXO with the silicon heads, they can stand to decent heat.

Don't use olive oil with a cast iron pan, acidic ingredients aren't good for the pan such as lemon, tomatoes, and vinegar. Its alright with your stainless steel. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom